SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
redleg23
redleg23 is on a distinguished road

Default 2006 Vue Front wheel bearing HELP!!

I'm will be changing my front wheel bearing on my 2006 AWD VUE. Can anyone forward, the service manual page, regarding this part? I have limited knowledge on changing bearings. I'm fearful this could turn into a nightmare, just from reading other posts. Any helpful suggestions are greatly appreciated!!! THANKS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to redleg23's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help redleg23 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
redleg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to all

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 2006 Vue Front wheel bearing HELP!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redleg23 View Post
Any helpful suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!
Start spraying some PB Blaster into the Hub/Steering Knuckle mating surface ASAP. This can be an easy or difficult job - it all depends on how much corrosion you have between your Hub and Knuckle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PB.JPG (88.2 KB, 104 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:58 PM   #3
izzy3rd
izzy3rd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by redleg23 View Post
I'm will be changing my front wheel bearing on my 2006 AWD VUE. Can anyone forward, the service manual page, regarding this part? I have limited knowledge on changing bearings. I'm fearful this could turn into a nightmare, just from reading other posts. Any helpful suggestions are greatly appreciated!!! THANKS
Here's the info from Autozone's repair guides. This is identical as far as procedures to the GM service manual I used.:

Removal

1. Remove the front brake rotor.
2. Disconnect the wheel speed sensor electrical connector, if equipped.
3. Remove the wheel speed sensor electrical connector form the connector bracket.
4. Remove the front halfshaft spindle nut.
5. Support the halfshaft with heavy mechanic's wire or equivalent.
6. Remove and discard the wheel bearing/hub mounting bolts.
7. Remove the wheel bearing/hub assembly from the steering knuckle.

Install

1. Install the wheel bearing/hub assembly to the steering knuckle.
2. Install the wheel bearing/hub mounting bolts. Tighten the bolts to 130 Nm (96 ft. lbs.).
3. Install the halfshaft spindle nut. Tighten the nut to 205 Nm (151 ft. lbs.).
4. Install the wheel speed sensor electrical connector to the mounting bracket, if equipped.
5. Connect the wheel speed sensor electrical connector.
6. Install the front brake rotor.

I had to rent a 7 ton gear puller to get my hubs loose from the steering knuckle. This was an upper midwest owned vehicle before I purchased it so road salt had bonded the knuckle to the hub bearing pretty well. When you get the bearing out clean the surface on the knuckle where the 2 meet. I used WD40 and a scotch-brite pad.

I hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2011-03-11 at 9.48.17 PM.png (38.2 KB, 96 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to izzy3rd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help izzy3rd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
izzy3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:40 PM   #4
DavidBo
DavidBo will become famous soon enough

2002 VUE 2.2L

It seems like the folks with the most problems come from areas where salt is used to de-ice the roads in the winter. If that's your case than you could have issues getting the CV joint out of the hub and the hub out of the knuckle. I did my rear bearings, which have similar sticking issues, and they dropped right out. Maybe living in S. Texas (no road salt) and not taking it to the beach (no ocean salt) made the difference. Keep searching the forums and good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DavidBo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DavidBo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:12 PM   #5
03cobra
03cobra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
It seems like the folks with the most problems come from areas where salt is used to de-ice the roads in the winter. If that's your case than you could have issues getting the CV joint out of the hub and the hub out of the knuckle. I did my rear bearings, which have similar sticking issues, and they dropped right out. Maybe living in S. Texas (no road salt) and not taking it to the beach (no ocean salt) made the difference. Keep searching the forums and good luck!
This is so True. Im from Jersey. there's salt on the ground 5 months out the year and the other 7 months when you go to beach there's salt in the air. I just replaced all my wheel bearings. I did the front driver with no problem, the front pass i couldn't get the damm rotor off. So i said screw it and paid the man to work on the car. He also did the carrier bearing. he said it took him 2 hours of hitting, heat, PB blaster and muscle and he finally got the drive shaft apart. so yea the North east sucks lol

He quoted" dang man, did you park this under water for a year, there is so much rust under your car" i laughted and just paid him

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 03cobra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 03cobra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
03cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
GOF
GOF is on a distinguished road

Steel hub/bearing assembly in an alloy knuckle. Toss in some road salt and and it destroys the bearings AND makes it hard to change them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GOF's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GOF reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:42 AM   #7
Shadow_tek001
Advanced Member
Shadow_tek001 is just really niceShadow_tek001 is just really niceShadow_tek001 is just really niceShadow_tek001 is just really niceShadow_tek001 is just really nice

from 1st hand experience, it's a pain in the a@@. Get a torch, and a freeze can or upside down compressed air duster. freeze the hub and torch the knuckle *this was the final solution for me. Also, use loads of penetrating fluid (dont cause a fire tho).

The cv should come out pretty easy, but the hub will be really stuck in the knuckle.
I'm pretty sure I used a sledge hammer too, tho I cant remember.

Good Luck!

Edward

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Shadow_tek001's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Shadow_tek001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Shadow_tek001 is offline   Reply With Quote