SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2011, 12:59 AM   #1
jwmartin
jwmartin is on a distinguished road

Default Help with Interior Door Panel Removal

Hi folks!
I have been a long time Saturn owner and picked up an '01 L100 with some nice bells and whistles (sunroof, power everything) and a really nice sound system. As a recent college graduate money isn't exactly flowing in and I appreciate the fact that I could get such a nice car for a great price.

My only gripe is that all four speakers have begun to show their age and do not sound so great anymore (in fact the two front seem completely blown out)

I am not usually into the the craft of self repair but was feeling adventurous today and tried to remove the FRONT passenger interior door panel to get at the speaker. I made it 95 percent of the way (removed all applicable screws, successfully unclipped everything around the edges) but am stuck where the handle meets the door.

If I pry the door apart just enough to see what is going on it seems that there is, for lack of a better description, a cylinder from the door frame stuck right into the other side of the door (the blueish paper side) and it doesn't seem to be budging. Even after applying a good amount of force it doesn't seem to be moving.

I have scoured the internet and video sites for hints and tips but have been unable to find anything that matches my exact handle and door configuration. Most videos seem to be of the S series where the lock and unlock buttons are right next to the handle, rather than my configuration where the power locks are a few inches away and setup as a separate button.

Do I have to disassemble the silver door handle (it seems like it is attached to a pretty sturdy hinge and I'm not sure how to even begin removing it) in order to get to some sort of last secret screw that is presently hidden away? It almost, regretfully, seems like I'd have to remove the exterior door as well or something bizarre like that.

I apologize for the lack of specific detail and the long winded post, I was just wondering if there were any hints, tips, or guides anyone could give me for trying to remove the front door panels of an 01 L100. (I've found about 3 online that are just so vague "remove door handle") I'd really like to try and do this on my own as a sort of first project rather than pay someone hundreds of dollars when I could learn.

Cheers and thanks ahead of time!

Jimmy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jwmartin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jwmartin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jwmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2011, 11:25 PM   #2
born again
born again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of light

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Default Re: Help with Interior Door Panel Removal

I have done one of these for the rear door, but actually I find the front ones need to come off more often. You are right. The Alldata instruction starts out "Remove the door handle"...

Start with the window lowered.

1. Pull out the rubber grip from the fixed door pull handle that rises out of the armrest. You will find a screw where the bottom fits in - remove it.

2. Remove the little triangular black piece at the front corner of the window. Remove one screw here.

3. Prise out the tweeter grille with a tiny screwdriver. Remove one screw.

4. Prise out the door lock switch. Remove another screw. Unplug the switch.

5. Prise out the mirror switch and unplug it.

6. Remove three screws from the bottom edge of the door panel.

7. I think there may be a black plug in the centre of the door latch escutcheon plate that needs to be prised out to access another screw. You don't need to remove the latch handle. (I could be confusing this with my other car)

When you have enough screws out, the door grip handle piece including the part covering the top forward part of the door will come off, but you need to slide it forward a bit to clear the latch handle. Unplug the tweeter.

Now you should be able to remove the door panel, starting at the bottom rear corner and pulling out the lower edge. A putty knife or trim tool is useful here. Once the bottom and sides are free, push the panel straight upwards to release the clips at the top edge. Be careful as the metal strip on the top of the fibre panel is easily detached, which damages the panel.

Installation is the reverse of this. You may have a light in the bottom of the panel that also needs to be disconnected/reconnected.

There is a plastic sheet over the metal door structure that will need to be removed to access the inside parts of the door. Pull very slowly and steadily from one corner to remove this, and only pull off what you need to. If you damage it or the adhesive loses its stickiness then use some tape to fix it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
born again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
born again
born again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of light

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Scratch Item 7. This isn't required.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
born again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
jwmartin
jwmartin is on a distinguished road

Thanks so much for the reply! I'm going to give it another shot this weekend. The two back door panels came off no problem. I installed the two rear speakers and they are working great - I am going to give the two front doors another go around.

Cheers

I look forward to using this forum in the future for my other projects and really appreciate the involvement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jwmartin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jwmartin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jwmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
burlyvue2
burlyvue2 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Excellent "how to". I bought my Wife's LW200 new Sony Xplod speakers and now have to install them. Your explanation will make this much easier!

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burlyvue2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burlyvue2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
burlyvue2 is offline   Reply With Quote