SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
vanwyk4257
vanwyk4257 is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR
Default 2.4 ecotec oil leak question

I just purchaed a 2009 Aura XR with the 2.4 ecotec engine. I picked it up from the dealer on Friday and Saturday evening after only 30 or so miles of driving Friday afternoon noticed a good amount of oil on the floor. Closer inspection shows that the oil leak is on the lower rear of the engine (passenger side of the car) such that it is dripping oil off the crossmember underneath the engine and around the front of the lower control arm. It's a pretty significant leak although I am not seeing it leak while the car is running so it's not gushing out. There are also signs that the oil is getting flung around by the pulleys and belt. Is there anything that could cause a similar leak as described or is this most likely a rear main seal starting to go bad?
I'm bringing the car to the dealership tomorrow and they've said they will make it right and have it repaired. My concern is whether or not this leak may be indicative of other issues with the engine, and whether or not after the dealer's 30-day warranty expires this sort of issue would be covered by GM's 5-year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. Any input from those of you with more knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vanwyk4257's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vanwyk4257 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vanwyk4257 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
vanwyk4257

2009 AURA XR
Default Re: 2.4 ecotec oil leak question

The dealer claimed that it hadn't leaked any oil when they had it (or at least they hadn't noticed it. Here are some pictures of my findings after essentially two days of ownership and around 50 miles since leaving the dealership. Any input would be appreciated, I doubt this was the result of 50 miles of driving.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0073.jpg (51.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0075.jpg (98.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0081.jpg (40.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0086.jpg (205.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0087.jpg (93.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0090.jpg (83.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0091.jpg (86.6 KB, 34 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help vanwyk4257 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-06-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

the dealer probably didnt notice because they could most likely get it fixed under the 5/100 as can you so whatever it is it should at least be taken care of under warranty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #4
servodave
servodave is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR

Last two pictures almost look like antifreeze. Clearly oil on your floor, though.

Was this car GM certified by any chance? If so, no worries at all.
http: // www . gmcertified . com/ (Sorry, you'll have to type it, I can't post url's yet...soon...)

At 30 miles...if this problem was not disclosed during sale they should fix it. Maybe they didn't know of the issue. It seems you are going to find out how reputable this place is.

I have a 2009 xr with that engine. It has been solid except for a bad wire in the harness and rust in the fuel rail.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to servodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help servodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
servodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:14 PM   #5
greenman
greenman will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XE

It could be my imagination but it looks to me like there is green fluorescent dye in that oil. Someone looking for a leak would start by adding fluorescent dye. My money is on tranny fluid.

I have never known any oil leak to just start spewing overnight. Typically it will start very slowly & get worse over quite awhile.

Interested in what you find out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:35 PM   #6
vanwyk4257

2009 AURA XR

I don't think there's any coolant, just oil. It's pretty fresh oil and the flash on the camera made it look odd. It might have had dye run through it.

I made them put it on the rack and had the head tech and the general manager look at it with me. The tech said oh it's just leaking around the drain plug. I responded by not so politely pointing out the oil that had been flung onto one of the AC lines in the front of the engine compartment. Thankfully the leak should be covered by the GM warranty but I told the GM about a clunking noise in the front end of the car and that I wanted that fixed on their dime before I got the car back. He agreed the problems were their fault and said they would make it right at their expense.

I'll be sure to update with the results on the source of the leak later.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #7
greenman
greenman will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XE

How many miles on the car?
The Aura/Malibu/G6 all are rather infamous for the front-end clunk issue.
Oil leaks are pretty rare.

Last edited by greenman; 03-07-2011 at 08:53 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:33 PM   #8
vanwyk4257

2009 AURA XR

Just over 46,000 miles.

I'll be sure to report back, the GM dealership has it and is diagnosing and repairing the leak. I hope to know more tomorrow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #9
vanwyk4257

2009 AURA XR

Drum roll please....

the culprit was the crank seal and a balancer was also placed under warranty.

The dealer will be investigating the clunking in the front end and replacing that as well, I asked them to check the ISS and upper strut mounts to see if either of those are the cause.

I will report back on the final results there as well.

So far so good, I can't wait to get my car back in good condition, I'm driving a Mercury Milan right now and I can't stand it!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #10
vanwyk4257

2009 AURA XR

Good info, thanks for posting that TSB. The tech replaced the crank seal and the harmonic balancer, which he stated had a coarse surface causing front crankshaft seal to leak.

Hopefully this is the last oil leak I'll have to deal with. I had enough oil leaks on a couple of old Porsches to last me the rest of my life, don't need any more!

I'll post what the dealer finds when they remedy the "clunking" in the front end. They are aware of the possibility of ISS issues with these, so they will be checking that for me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-12-2013, 05:33 AM   #11
scpac1
scpac1 is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

my 2009 aura 2.4l ecotec with only 38,000 miles has a right front oil leak. After being in the dealership 5 times for this.....it still leaks, not a bad leak but still leaking. The dye showed it was coming from the water pump and that has been replaced twice. Timing cover replaced, seal ring replaced, oil pressure relief valve replaced, crankcase front cover gasket replaced. Going in the shop today to have them check the leak. Had the oil changed last week at another shop.........looks like leak is worse......oil on the motor mount/AC compressor/ right CV area. This is nuts, thank goodness it's still under warranty. ???Advice please. GM area rep is involved but only says "we'll get it right".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scpac1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scpac1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scpac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:57 AM   #12
saturnions
saturnions is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwyk4257 View Post
Drum roll please....

the culprit was the crank seal and a balancer was also placed under warranty.

The dealer will be investigating the clunking in the front end and replacing that as well, I asked them to check the ISS and upper strut mounts to see if either of those are the cause.

I will report back on the final results there as well.

So far so good, I can't wait to get my car back in good condition, I'm driving a Mercury Milan right now and I can't stand it!
Yep simple enough................it's amazing how well warranty works when it's something thats covered by warranty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnions's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnions reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #13
scpac1

2009 AURA XE
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scpac1 View Post
my 2009 aura 2.4l ecotec with only 38,000 miles has a right front oil leak. After being in the dealership 5 times for this.....it still leaks, not a bad leak but still leaking. The dye showed it was coming from the water pump and that has been replaced twice. Timing cover replaced, seal ring replaced, oil pressure relief valve replaced, crankcase front cover gasket replaced. Going in the shop today to have them check the leak. Had the oil changed last week at another shop.........looks like leak is worse......oil on the motor mount/AC compressor/ right CV area. This is nuts, thank goodness it's still under warranty. ???Advice please. GM area rep is involved but only says "we'll get it right".
just got back from dealer......."front timing cover leaking, will order parts". Holy Crap....this is the second one!! They sure are avoiding any further discussions.
Finding out that the "GM rep" at the next level is in Argentina. (I thought I was talking to someone in Detroit).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help scpac1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #14
golftango
golftango is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE

More:

Here is another place to look for an oil leak.

Service Information 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt | Cobalt, G5 (VIN A) Service Manual | Document ID: 2195055
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#08-06-01-017C: EI08224 - 2.0L LNF, 2.2L L61, 2.4L LE5 Engine Oil Leak (Repair Leak) - (Sep 22, 2008)

Subject: EI08224 - 2.0L LNF, 2.2L L61, 2.4L LE5 Engine Oil Leak (Repair Leak)

Models: 2008-2009 Chevrolet Cobalt, HHR, Malibu

2008-2009 Chevrolet Captiva Sport (Built in Ramos Arizpe, S in VIN Position 11)

2008-2009 Pontiac G5, G6, Solstice

2008-2009 Saturn Aura, SKY, VUE

2008-2009 Opel GT

2008 Daewoo G2X

with 2.0L, 2.2L or 2.4L Engine (VINs X, D, B - RPOs LNF, L61, LE5)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to end the need for engineering information and provide a correction procedure. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-06-01-017B (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition
Some customers may comment about an engine oil leak.

Cause
Engineering has determined the cause of some engine oil leaks may be attributed to bedplate porosity at the rear A/C bolt hole mounting bracket.

Correction
DO NOT REPLACE THE ENGINE.

If the engine oil leak is diagnosed as coming from the rear A/C bolt hole mounting bracket, use the following repair procedure to correct the condition. The oil leak in this area is coming from a non-pressurized hole.

•After the engine has cooled, clean the existing oil out of the hole and off the head of the bolt using a low VOC brake cleaner (P/N 12378392 or equivalent).
•Apply a Teflon® pipe thread sealant (P/N 12346004 -- LOCTITE™ 565 or equivalent) to the bolt and reinstall.
Warranty Information
For vehicles with an oil leak in the A/C compressor bracket area, use the labor operation number listed below.

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

J7539*
Engine Oil Leak Repair
0.2 hr

*This is a unique labor operation number for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

And More:

ervice Information
Home Publications Number Search New Bulletins Bulletin Search Feedback Help

Document ID: 2355311
#PIP4718: Oil Leak At Front Crankshaft Seal Area 2008-09 Ecotec (RPOs - LAP lAT LE5 LE8 LE9 LNF) - (Oct 1, 2009)

Subject: Oil Leak at Front Crankshaft Seal Area 2008-09 Ecotec (RPO- LAP LAT LE5 LE8 LE9 LNF)

Models: 2008-2009 Chevrolet Cobalt SS
2008-2009 Chevrolet Cobalt
2008-2009 Chevrolet HHR
2008-2009 Chevrolet HHR SS
2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu
2008-2009 Pontiac G5
2008-2009 Pontiac G6
2006-2009 Pontiac Pursuit (Canada Only)
2008-2009 Saturn Aura
2008-2009 Saturn Vue
Equipped with the following engines:
2008-2009 2.0L (RPO LNF)
2009 2.2L (RPO LAP)
2009 2.2L (RPO LE8)
2008-2009 2.4L (RPO LE5/LE9/LAT)

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:

A technician may comment of an oil leak at the front timing cover/crank/pulley seal.
Recommendation/Instructions:

When the technician has determined the front crank seal is leaking replace the seal, pulley, bolt and drive belt.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

'09 Saturn Aura XE (sold 2013)
'12 Honda Pilot EX-L
'11 Kia Optima LX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to golftango's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help golftango reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
golftango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #15
scpac1

2009 AURA XE
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

thanks for your input.......sent info to dealership service manager. U would think they have all this stuff and have checked it out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!