SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 03-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
donrob42
donrob42 will become famous soon enough

Default Would a bad PCM cause prevent transmission going in gear??

I have a 2000 Saturn SL1 with automatic transmission and I was just curious if anyone knew would a bad PCM prevent your car from shifting into any gear...including reverse??

I received some great info from several people yesterday about my tranny from another post but I failed to ask that question. I replaced the valve body with a new one and I tightened the input and output shaft nut and put new filter and fluid in but still I get nothing when I put the car in gear. I can hear what I think are the solenoids inside the valve body turning on for a second when I go from reverse to drive and back to reverse from drive. I let the car run for about 25 minutes and it seems like the fluid is circulating throughout the tranny because the transmission is warn on the bottom including the lines and the filter. One mechanic friend of mine is certain that the PCM is fried that controls the transmission but I don't know?? The car runs fine and I know the PCM also controls the engine. Just don't know if the car would run as good as it does and something is wrong with the PCM?? Help me out with some info if you can. Thanks!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to donrob42's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help donrob42 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
donrob42 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud of

1998 SC2
Default Re: Would a bad PCM cause prevent transmission going in gear??

PCM failure is quite rare, almost unheard of. Have you checked the fuses in the fuse box, TRS-x there are 3 of them. Do you have any codes?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
donrob42

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
PCM failure is quite rare, almost unheard of. Have you checked the fuses in the fuse box, TRS-x there are 3 of them. Do you have any codes?
I bought this car with the tranny problem because I got a good deal on it and I thought a new valve body would be the answer. The first thing I checked were those fuses and TRS 3/4 was burnt out. I replaced it and still nothing. so I went to plan B and put a new valve body in it. The fluid was really bad that I replaced and upon checking the old valve body that came out the tranny, 3 of the 5 solenoids were toast...one of them slightly melted on top. I don't have any codes because the battery was dead and I had to put a new one in the car. I assume the codes were erased due to the dead battery.

I have read that those PCM's are almost bullet proof but I guess anything is possible.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help donrob42 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud of

1998 SC2

Do you have a voltmeter? If you do this will not take long....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #5
OldNuc

1998 SC2

This drawing of the connector on top of the trans. print it out. http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...hp?photo=52370

Then with the transmission in park and the engine running check pins A, C, E, G, J one at a time to ground for 12v.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #6
donrob42

Quote:
Do you have a voltmeter? If you do this will not take long....
My next door neighbor says he's got a voltmeter and I could get it now if I need it....What do I need to do when I get it??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

See the post right above yours. Need to find out if power is getting to the solenoids.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2011, 06:41 PM   #8
donrob42

Quote:
See the post right above yours. Need to find out if power is getting to the solenoids.
OK...Will do. I will go get the voltmeter and perform the test and respond back. Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2011, 06:44 PM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

OK, how black was the ATF in the transmission? Was it gritty?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2011, 07:33 PM   #10
donrob42

Quote:
OK, how black was the ATF in the transmission? Was it gritty?
It was pretty dark and had that bad smell, but I didn't see any signs of grit or metal. I collected it all in a bucket and I took retractable magnet pointer and ran it through down to the bottom of the bucket. There were some fine filings stuck to the magnet but more than that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #11
donrob42

Quote:
Originally Posted by donrob42 View Post
My next door neighbor says he's got a voltmeter and I could get it now if I need it....What do I need to do when I get it??
Unfortunately my neighbor counldn't find his voltmeter...the best he could do is a test light. Will that work?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If it is the kind that you put a clip on ground and then touch a probe to a connection and it lights up, yes. The idea is to find out if the 12v is actually available to operate the solenoids.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2011, 07:59 PM   #13
donrob42

Quote:
If it is the kind that you put a clip on ground and then touch a probe to a connection and it lights up, yes. The idea is to find out if the 12v is actually available to operate the solenoids.
Yes, thats the one that he gave me...I will go do the test now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #14
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Are you sure the tranny is not engaging, and it's not a broken axle shaft or CV joint? When you put it in Drive and give it gas, do you see any response on the speedometer?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #15
donrob42

Quote:
I performed the test and all of the wires that I was suppose to test had voltage running to them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #16
donrob42

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Are you sure the tranny is not engaging, and it's not a broken axle shaft or CV joint? When you put it in Drive and give it gas, do you see any response on the speedometer?
It doesnt do anything when I put it in any gear. I can hear what I think is the solenoid turning on when I put it in drive or reverse but absolutely no movement of the car at all...My axles shafts are in place and connected as well as the CV joints.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #17
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That is good. Where did you get he replacement valve body and did you get a new connector plate. That sits on top of the solenoids.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #18
donrob42

Quote:
That is good. Where did you get he replacement valve body and did you get a new connector plate. That sits on top of the solenoids.
I got it from a place here in Atlanta called TPU. They are tops in Atlanta when it comes to anything for transmissions. The connector plate was new as well....Before I installed the valve body, I even opened the top part just to perform a power check on each solenoids to make sure they all worked. All 5 worked.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2011, 08:54 PM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

OK, good. Are all the various connectors by the filter in place? As madpouge asked does the speedometer indicate when you try it in drive?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2011, 09:03 PM   #20
donrob42

Quote:
OK, good. Are all the various connectors by the filter in place? As madpouge asked does the speedometer indicate when you try it in drive?
I just went out to the garage and started the car and put it in gear and gave it some gas, but the speedometer reads 0 mph and does not move.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!