SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
moonlightinred
moonlightinred is on a distinguished road

Default Shifter cables snapped AGAIN (2002 Saturn SL1)

ACK. I already posted this, but I put it in the wrong forum (I stuck it in the L-series). I apologize - I've sent a message to have it deleted, but I thought I'd go ahead and post it here so I could get some feedback.

The shifter cables on my 2002 Saturn SL1 have snapped AGAIN. This is the fourth time in as many years and I don't know what's up. I've pretty much resolved myself to paying to replace these yearly, but now none of my local parts stores carry the cables and when they search their computers, they can't tell me the parts numbers

Anyway, I need y'all's help to figure out which ones I need. I've always gotten the cables from Advance Auto Parts, though I don't HAVE to go to them (I have NAPA, AutoZone, and O'Reilly near me, too). When I put in my car and check the Advance Auto Parts site, a bunch of different options come up, but only from two manufacturers: Hurst and B&M. I think the Hurst brand can also be found under Dorman.

I can't post URLs because I haven't contributed enough posts to the forum, yet. I would really appreciate it if someone can check these part numbers and let me know which ones will work as replacement cables. I THINK it's one of the 5-foot cables, but I don't know for sure and I don't know if it's a double eyelet or eyelet/thread cable.

#80604 (B&M 4' performance, eyelet/thread)
#80605 (B&M 5' performance, eyelet/thread)
#80833 (B&M 5' super-duty, eyelet/thread)
#5000025 (Hurst 5' Adjustable, single eyelet)
#5000029 (Hurst 5' Adjustable, double eyelet)
#5008555 (Hurst replacement shifter cable)

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to moonlightinred's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help moonlightinred reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
moonlightinred is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: Shifter cables snapped AGAIN (2002 Saturn SL1)

Your problem is all of the aftermarket cables are JUNK. You need to go to a junk yard and buy a good set of cables and the shift tower. The cables are available OEM but are several hundred dollars. You will need this drawing to get the bulkhead fitting out of the car in a condition to reuse. Installation is the reverse of the removal and done from the outside. If you want it I can locate the part number and Get Saturn Parts lists the cables. http://www.trademotion.com/splash/in...?siteid=214643
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Selection_052.jpg (63.1 KB, 84 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #3
moonlightinred
moonlightinred is on a distinguished road

^ Thanks for the reply! I may try to go to a junk yard and get OEM cables, then. Just for reference, though, can you tell me which of the ones I listed would work? Given how frequently they've been snapping, I believe you 100%...I just like to know what my alternatives would be if I can't find a set from a local junkyard.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to moonlightinred's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help moonlightinred reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
moonlightinred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:19 PM   #4
KevinVarnes
KevinVarnes has a spectacular aura aboutKevinVarnes has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL1
1995 SW2

I'm pretty sure those are automatic trans cables and for use with their respective shifter, but not 100%. I think Dorman is the only 5 speed cable available aftermarket. Take the advice given and get some good used cables from the jy.

'89 Cougar XR-7 5 Speed
'95 T-Bird SC 5 Speed
'93 T-Bird SC AOD
'91 Crown Vic P72 351W
'00 Saturn SL1 5 Speed (wife's car)
'95 Saturn SW2 (automatic for now)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KevinVarnes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KevinVarnes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KevinVarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:38 PM   #5
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about

1994 SL2
1997 SW2

Yes...sorry to say, you've been throwing money out the window with the aftermarket cables. Only OEM cables will be sufficient in replacements.

The later generation (2nd/3rd) cars- shifter cables at the firewall have a set of 10MM bolts that hold it into the grommet, so you will need to undo the bolts in the grommet to remove the shifter cables. The first gen cars had a snap in grommet that held the shifter cables in place.

Shifter cables though, are universal- so any year from 1991-2002 will be good as a replacement.

Are the shifter cables snapping/breaking in the same place, or in different spots. If they are breaking in the same location, you may want to adjust how you shift when you drive; as shifting hard can put un-needed force and wear/tear on the cables.

Bryan

94 SL2 225K Miles
97 SW2 255K Miles

Garaged
94 SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

Never Forget
94 SC1 340,501 Miles
Original Engine/Auto Trans
02/97-10/08
Gone 03/12

92 SL1
05 VUE
91 SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

They only have the rectangular plate and nuts if they are either aftermarket or OEM replacement. If you see cables in the J/Y with the plate and nuts - PASS on those and keep looking. The true genuine for sure Saturn shifter cables will have the oval press out plug.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-06-2011, 09:51 PM   #7
geartooth94
Master Member
geartooth94 will become famous soon enough

when i was searching for replacement OEM shifter cables in the junkyard, the ones i came across all had the shifter bushings busted. if this happens to you, you may also want to invest in the $30 ebay stainless steel replacement bushing. it's worth its weight in gold.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stain...item19b13dbd89

1996 Dodge Avenger ES: 2.5L V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to geartooth94's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help geartooth94 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
geartooth94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #8
brubro
brubro is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1

My shifter bushing just went out on me while I had my 18 month old boy in the car, in the middle lane, in heavy traffic. I quickly maneuvered over to a left turn lane as it was open. Naturally, there was a decent upwards slope after the turn (probably the only one in 10 miles in this part of South Florida!). I ended up feathering the clutch (in 4th!) to get up over this hill as pushing the car was out of the question. It wasn't very steep, but just too much of an incline to push it up.

I was pretty sure that some part of the bushing / shifter cable was compromised as the shifter was just sloppy and loose, and seemed to not be attached to anything. I manually actuated the shifting mechanism on the transmission into 2nd, in a parking lot, so I could get it home.

Not a fun drive, but I was only about 5 miles away, and there are no hills. Dealt with some nasty attitudes even though I had my hazards on. Guess I should have waited for it to start raining first! I bet attitudes would have been different if I was in my Ram 3500 dually...

When I got home, I found that the stock bushing did in fact disintegrate, allowing the cable to slip off. I temporarily secured it using two zip ties fed through a 1/8" hole I drilled in the middle of the stamped bracket that the bushing mounts to, the one the steel ball end of the mount is attached to. If you do this, file the burrs away before adding the zip ties. I drilled the hole as the zip tie connection without it was suspect in my opinion, and likely to work its way off.

After finding this thread, I ordered the stainless steel ebay bushing from the mentioned seller. It sure looks bulletproof. Can't wait to get it so I don't have to worry about the zip ties breaking. Until the new bushing arrives, the center console is just in loose, so I can do a repair on the fly if necessary.

Thanks for the info people! This appears to be a common problem and this thread allowed for a painless and easy fix / upgrade. Cheers!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brubro's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brubro reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brubro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #9
brubro
brubro is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1

Just installed the SS ebay bushing. Love it, as I won't have to worry about that particular problem again.

JB welding it in place is not the quickest or best engineering solution, but the longevity will make up for it, I hope...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brubro's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brubro reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brubro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:59 AM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If you clean everything first with acetone and then install bushing, and clamp in place. After it sits for 5 minutes or so clean off all squeeze-out with acetone then heat it with a heat gun or hair dryer to 125F or so the epoxy will cure in a couple of hours. Just keep it hot. Do not go over 150-175F though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #11
simkid5614
Advanced Member
simkid5614 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Got mine from dealer. 227$ for everything. Came as rectangular place and nuts

2002 SL2 115k "Whisper" No leaks!! :) 115 and going strong..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to simkid5614's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help simkid5614 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
simkid5614 is offline   Reply With Quote