SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Sky > Sky Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
ToledoEngineer
ToledoEngineer is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY Red Line
1992 SL1
Question brake pads

So i think I have finally met the end of the factory brakes. They started to rub and grind a little bit this past week. 35k miles isn't too bad. Just wondering if anyone has found any good deals on pads (looking more for a specific brand and not just somewhere to shop). Or heck, even just a GM part number to start looking with.

If the weather stays halfways decent I plan to do this myself, as it would be my first brake job. The gf's van needs brakes soon as well and she is all for attempting it on hers too. But if the weather doesnt co-operate I have a 50% off coupon for Midas, specifically for brakes. Had great luck with them in past on other vehicles, so I figure it's an option.

"Education is the progressive realization of our own ignorance"

1992 SL1: 149k miles
2008 Sky RL: 35k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ToledoEngineer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ToledoEngineer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ToledoEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
Jonnyferrari
Jonnyferrari is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: brake pads

Some people are going to say no on this, but Duralast Brakes from Autozone are amazing in my opinion: $30 a pair AND you get a lifetime warranty on them! That means if they wear out, just bring them in and exchange! They squeek a little bit more than average ones if you do not put some grease on them but if you do, it is one hell of a deal! I also get the standard version rotors which have a 2-year warranty. If you do not want the lower-end ones that they sell, they have ceramic ones which the ricers swear by and those also have a lifetime warranty.

[Sold] 2000 Saturn LS2 premium package; 120k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonnyferrari's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonnyferrari reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonnyferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
janajoy
janajoy is on a distinguished road

Never tried Duralast Brake but autozone offers quality brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to janajoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help janajoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
janajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
ToledoEngineer
ToledoEngineer is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY Red Line
1992 SL1

I swear by Duralast wiper blades (gf says the winter blades i put on her van are the best she's ever had, no squeeks or streaks), so maybe brakes wouldn't be too far of a stretch.... Got a buddy that manages an Autozone in town so I just might have to see what he thinks of them.

"Education is the progressive realization of our own ignorance"

1992 SL1: 149k miles
2008 Sky RL: 35k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ToledoEngineer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ToledoEngineer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ToledoEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:08 AM   #5
southaeastpunk
southaeastpunk is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2008 SKY Red Line

i put the duralast gold ceramic pads on my 2002 S-Series, quietest smoothest pads and they actually outlasted one set of "cheap" rotors.
since then i get the 2 year warranted rotors.
also they leave virtually no brake dust on your wheels.

I am at 44k on my Sky's factory pads, and they still feel great.
I'm curious as what a good replacement will be for it.
you might want to jump over to www.skyroadster.com. i'm a member there as well.
there is a lot of information of "do's and do not's" for our precious Sky's.

theoretically ceramic pads should be good to match the sky's capabilities you just need to let the pads warm up a little before they'll bite.
but also brake fade would be significantly reduced since the pads can handle the high temperatures generated but then the heat the pads generate could warp a cheapy rotor (the problem i had in my s-series til i got a better rotor)

Last edited by southaeastpunk; 04-21-2011 at 03:19 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to southaeastpunk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help southaeastpunk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
southaeastpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
rv93
rv93 will become famous soon enoughrv93 will become famous soon enough

if you want the good stuff, get autozone duralast gold cmax. theyre a better compound than the regular golds, and have a rubber coated shim on the back. theyre around $50 for most cars, but that includes the rattle clips (which are probably a good idea to replace anyway), and the grease. i work at autozone, and plenty of people have come back and said that theyre great pads. they dont seem to make any noise, and they resist fade well too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rv93's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rv93 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rv93 is offline   Reply With Quote