SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2011, 11:18 PM   #1
Ubie
Ubie is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default Reverse lights 1999 SL2

Having a little trouble with the reverse lights on my 1999 SL2. I've changed both bulbs and verified that the fuse is fully viable, yet no lights for me.

I'm figuring the only only things it could be at this point are a bad sensor or a break in the electrics. The electrics are easy enough to test for, but assuming they're whole where is the sensor to turn on the lights?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ubie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ubie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ubie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2011, 12:03 AM   #2
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2
Default Re: Reverse lights 1999 SL2

The switch is on the tranny. Is this an automatic or manual?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:09 AM   #3
Ubie

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
The switch is on the tranny. Is this an automatic or manual?
Ah, yeah, should have mentioned that. It's the 5sp manual.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ubie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ubie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-22-2011, 12:22 AM   #4
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

5-speed makes it easier. There are only two electrical connections on the tranny. The lower one toward the back, near the axles, is the VSS. The one on the top of the tranny, more toward the middle (near where the shifter linkages go in) is the reverse light switch. Disconnect, put a jumper wire between the terminals on the connector, turn the key to RUN. If the reverse lights light up, remainder of circuit is good and you should R&R the switch (it just threads into the tranny case).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-22-2011, 12:27 AM   #5
Ubie

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
5-speed makes it easier. There are only two electrical connections on the tranny. The lower one toward the back, near the axles, is the VSS. The one on the top of the tranny, more toward the middle (near where the shifter linkages go in) is the reverse light switch. Disconnect, put a jumper wire between the terminals on the connector, turn the key to RUN. If the reverse lights light up, remainder of circuit is good and you should R&R the switch (it just threads into the tranny case).

Thanks! I'll dig in there this weekend and let you know how it goes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ubie's Reputation
Old 02-22-2011, 05:56 AM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

It's a large socket you need if it turns out to be the switch. Something like 22mm or 23mm & a deep well. Even now I'd probably have to go to the nearby farm to borrow a socket even though I've spent a couple hundred on tools since I last did one.

Collection of S-Series info: "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5D8XfJgavxrdE5mcHBlMG5rbUU&usp=sharing"
3 ECTS pigtails, 1 ECTS FS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:48 PM   #7
LivingColour
LivingColour is on a distinguished road

I have this same problem on a 2001 SL1 with a 5-speed. I have verified that it isn't the bulbs. So I jumped the harness at the backup lamp switch, and the lights came on, so I thought it was the switch. But I tested the switch and it has continuity. So is my next option the little "fork" inside the transmission being bent that connects the circuit? If so, it looks like I will be without reverse lights from here on out. This is one of those "who is designing this stuff" moments. Why is the switch mechanically linked to something inside the transmission? Why is the switch not at the shifter, where if something fails it is very easy to access?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LivingColour's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LivingColour reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LivingColour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:07 PM   #8
madpogue

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingColour View Post
I have this same problem on a 2001 SL1 with a 5-speed. I have verified that it isn't the bulbs. So I jumped the harness at the backup lamp switch, and the lights came on, so I thought it was the switch. But I tested the switch and it has continuity. So is my next option the little "fork" inside the transmission being bent that connects the circuit? If so, it looks like I will be without reverse lights from here on out. This is one of those "who is designing this stuff" moments. Why is the switch mechanically linked to something inside the transmission? Why is the switch not at the shifter, where if something fails it is very easy to access?
It's not on the shifter because the shifter is more likely to fail than the transmission. There's nothing in the tranny connecting the circuit. It's just a plunger switch, pushed by some lever or a part of the reverse blocker itself. If there is continuity at the switch whether the tranny is in reverse or not, then it's faulty. If the continuity goes on and off with the gear, then the connection is faulty. Continuity across the terminals of the switch is the same as jumpering the connector.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!