SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
solomon
solomon is on a distinguished road

Default Radio install vue 2003 help please

I am trying to install the VRCD400-SDU in My 2003 Vue I bought the wiring harness off eBay. it's the 24pin model for the 2003 year model. I hooked all the wires up and I have nothing, no power. I was hoping someone could give me some information. I checked out the wiring diagram i thought i followed it correctly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to solomon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help solomon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2011, 07:47 PM   #2
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Radio install vue 2003 help please

Assuming the radio works correctly, it's probable that you got the wrong wiring harness. Did you get the Saturn specific harness, or the GM harness?

Given that it's a cheap VR3 radio, I wouldn't put too much faith into the radio actually working.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
solomon

the radio is fully functional(took it out of a friends car who just got a new radio was working when we took it out) yes the package said Saturn not GM on the wiring harness. the wiring connector, wire colors didn't match up with the diagram list. so how would i know if i got the wrong wiring harness? or if I'm simply making a mistake on the connections.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help solomon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-18-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
XRL
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line

The wiring colors didn't match up?

What wires do you have on both sides? The only time I've ever seen the colors not match up was on a few very cheap chinese radios that used seemingly random colors. There's a standardized wire color meaning.

red - switched
yellow - constant
black - ground
white/stripe front left +/-
gray is front right, purple is rear right and green is rear left.

If one of of the items doesn't use those colors, that's where your issue is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #5
solomon

no i have the colors listed but the diagram nothing matches i wont lie this is the first time i have even tried to install a car stereo. so i may not be asking the right question.. i have the adapter yellow connected to yellow. i have 3 red wires that all say ignition switched. I found what i thought was the correct one to hook up on this board(i did a search for radio install on the forum ) earlier today..it didn't work. so now I'm trying to figure if the diagram i have is wrong. and maybe i have the power supply wires not connected properly. i wish i could find pictures for a better diagram somewhere.

*2003 Saturn Vue Car Audio Wiring Schematic

*Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Red/White
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Dark Green
Car Radio Ground Wire: Black/White
Car Radio Illumination Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: Light N/A
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: White
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: White
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Size: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Location: N/A
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Tan
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green
Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: N/A
Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: N/A
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Blue
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Blue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-18-2011, 10:20 PM   #6
XRL
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line

Are you using a plug to plug into the factory harness or are you trying to splice into it? You should have 2 plugs, both with wires coming off them. One that plugs into the new radio, and one that plugs into the harness that plugged into the old radio. Those two harnesses get spliced together.

I don't recommend trying to splice into factory wiring. With the harnesses so cheap it doesn't make sense to spend time fussing with it when its so easy with the harness.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Old 02-18-2011, 10:51 PM   #7
solomon

here is what i am working with as you can tell yes i have the connector that goes to the stereo and the one that plugs into the existing wiring of the car i am not splicing wirer . for some reason i just cant get power to the stereo. and yes it is a working radio. all i get is a slight blink of the blue lights on the radio face plate and that is all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0218012246.jpg (146.4 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg 0218012246a.jpg (134.2 KB, 123 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-19-2011, 06:55 AM   #8
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Here are the correct wiring colors/codes.

Location>factory wire color>EIA (aftermarket) color > purpose

A4 > yellow > red > ignition/switched +12v
A8 > brown > green > left rear (+)
A9 > yellow > green/black > left rear (-)
A10 > dark green > gray/black > right front (-)
A11 > light green > gray > right front (+)
A12 > black/white > black > ground
B1 > orange > yellow > memory/constant +12v
B4 > gray > orange/white > dimmer
B8 > tan > white > left front (+)
B9 > gray > white/black > left front (-)
B10 > light blue > purple/black > right rear (-)
B11 > dark blue > purple > right rear (+)
B12 > brown > orange > illumination

Your harness has three switched +12v leads because it is meant to be used with the Ion, Vue, S-Series, and L-Series. Which wire you need to use depends on which model the harness is being used with. For the Vue it is the wire at the A4 position. The terminals are labeled on the harness

Any wires that you don't use should be taped off.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 175K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 170K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:13 AM   #9
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member
PortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the rough

Also, I know it's silly but make sure the fuse hasn't popped. Both the radio fuse and the one in the wiring harness. It happens sometimes nad you never realize it. Is there power coming out of the red wire? From the Jumper Harness? Try connecting the red and yellow together and ground the black and see if the radio comes on at all. That is something I ALWAYS do before any install. Try it at the battery as it's pretty accessible.

Good luck!

Michelin LTX M/S2's // MOMO // Razzi Spoiler // Westin // Hella // K&N // Clear Corners

V6 Air Bag and Steering Wheel Swap
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155754

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PortugalFocus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PortugalFocus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PortugalFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #10
solomon

thanks for all your help everyone. the problem : The constant wire was shorted out in the harness, i checked to make sure i was getting power out of the wire with a circuit tester( i think it's called) so i had to swap out the wire. works fine now .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #11
And.rea
And.rea is on a distinguished road

Hey y'all.. Just wanted to say thanks for this thread, especially the wiring schematic. Just installed a stereo in my '03 Vue, and it helped tremendously. I couldn't find an adapter to fit the harness, so I spliced into it. New stereo works like a charm!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to And.rea's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help And.rea reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
And.rea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member
PortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the rough

Michelin LTX M/S2's // MOMO // Razzi Spoiler // Westin // Hella // K&N // Clear Corners

V6 Air Bag and Steering Wheel Swap
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155754

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PortugalFocus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PortugalFocus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PortugalFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:31 PM   #13
m1super90
m1super90 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: Radio install vue 2003

I recently swapped out my 2003 V6 Vue's factory CD player for an aftermarket unit. Just curious if anyone has the specs for the factory unit.

Specifically, what is it's RMS power output per channel (4)? I noticed the factory unit has a beefy looking amplifier transistor bolted to the aluminum back that serves as a heat sink. Looks like higher power output than I used to typically see in OEM units, which was about 8w per channel.

If someone knows the frequency response of the CD section, that'd be interesting to know as well.

By the way, I used the Metra 70-2002 Radio Wiring Harness for Saturn 00-05 and it worked well. Amazon has them for $8. I also used a dash mounting adapter that I got from Walmart for $10. I happened to buy them seperately, but Amazon sells them together as a package as well, for about the same combined prices.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BESFA
https://www.walmart.com/ip/28445522

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to m1super90's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help m1super90 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
m1super90 is offline   Reply With Quote