SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
mcnash
mcnash is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L
2000 SL1
Default E15 question

With the EPA trying to push E15 gas, does any one have any info on using E15 in their VUEs?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mcnash's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mcnash reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mcnash is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: E15 question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnash View Post
With the EPA trying to push E15 gas, does any one have any info on using E15 in their VUEs?
Last I heard EPA announced E15 is OK for 2001 and newer vehicles.

I've mostly used E10 since day one in my 2005 V6 ... mileage is not quite as good as regular 87 octane.

There are few E85 pumps in my area so who knows how long it'll take to provide E15 services.

http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress...25781F0059E65C

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
3 Rings
3 Rings is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR
2007 SKY Red Line

We don't have E15 yet in our neck of the woods. I agree that it will definitely lower your fuel economy. Can't wait for that to happen.

What has me more concerned is the affect it will have on my motorcycle. From all the reports I have read, it could be very detrimental to the fuel systems on most motorcycles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 3 Rings's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 3 Rings reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
3 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:43 AM   #4
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

The Ethanol blends will significantly harm your fuel economy, to the point that they actually make you use more gasoline. More proof the government is stupid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to all

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRL View Post
More proof the government is stupid.
X10 to that! I was crunching some numbers for my cuz who has a Flex Fuel Yukon. Even though his E85 was cheaper, his ¢/mile was higher due to his lower mpg on E85.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:22 PM   #6
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

It's ben proven that using E85 makes your mileage go down comapred to straight gas. And with the government pushing for higher mileage vehicles, I don't see how the car companies will be able to accomplish that. Besides the military bases and private companies (which the public can't use), we only have 1 E-85 station that I know of and it's about 25 miles away. But E85 is cheaper, so is propane.

"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chillin05VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chillin05VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #7
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

1 station near me sells E85. It is 40 cents cheaper than regular E10 gas. I have watched people that have cars not able to use it put it in their vehicles I believe by accident. The E85 is labeled well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ricksLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

In every market where I travel to that has E85 fuel, I never get a FlexFuel rental. I always get FlexFuel vehicles in the most unlikely areas where you cannot buy the fuel. I always get Impalas with FlexFuel in Texas, but I never seen a single gas station with E85...

Personally I would be reluctant to use higher concentration ethanol fuels in cars not engineered for FlexFuels. I won't be using them in my VUE, if I can prevent it...

It seems to be a conspiracy... They have the cars in the markets that doesn't have the alternative fuels...

The areas I've seen E85 to purchase was Detroit, Minneapolis, and Iowa.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 7 Beta 7

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:28 PM   #9
3 Rings
3 Rings is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR
2007 SKY Red Line

In order to keep you from filling up on E15 if your vehicle is older than a 2007, there will be a label on the pump, such as this one:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 3 Rings's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 3 Rings reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
3 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:28 PM   #10
What a VUE
What a VUE is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Rings View Post
We don't have E15 yet in our neck of the woods. I agree that it will definitely lower your fuel economy. Can't wait for that to happen.
It's all about the BTUs. Eth has less BTU output/gal than gasoline. Less BTU=less power=less MPG.

If they REALLY want to make a difference in imported oil consumption, go to straight Eth fueling - like Henry Ford envisioned with his first automobile.

Brazil's been on it for years.

Dave
07 VUE 3.5 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to What a VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help What a VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
What a VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:59 AM   #11
tackepj
tackepj is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
In every market where I travel to that has E85 fuel, I never get a FlexFuel rental. I always get FlexFuel vehicles in the most unlikely areas where you cannot buy the fuel. I always get Impalas with FlexFuel in Texas, but I never seen a single gas station with E85...

Personally I would be reluctant to use higher concentration ethanol fuels in cars not engineered for FlexFuels. I won't be using them in my VUE, if I can prevent it...

It seems to be a conspiracy... They have the cars in the markets that doesn't have the alternative fuels...

The areas I've seen E85 to purchase was Detroit, Minneapolis, and Iowa.
That happens a lot to me, too, but I finally got lucky. I rented a 2010 Chevy HHR LS Flex Fuel here in IN for a trip to central TN. I used E10 (all I can get) for the trip down and E85 on the way home. Using the readout on the display, it showed ~31 mpg using E10 and ~24.5 using E85 for essentially the same type of driving. Given the mileage and the (heavily subsidized) cost of E85 where I filled up, it was essentially a wash.

Not looking forward to E15 either, and neither is my outdoor power equipment or motorcycle.

2005 L300 (traded)
2007 VUE Greenline
2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #12
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

my 2007 aura and 2011 kia sorento both cant use e15 or my warranty is voided. at this point unless you can use e85 you shouldnt use e15. see owners manuals. also you will still be able to use e10. the higher the ethonal content the worse for you as a driver. the less the actual gas content the worse the mileage. corn doesnt get the mileage of gas. e15 would have to be alot cheaper to be worth it even if you could use it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:37 PM   #13
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

A year ago E85 was ~50 cents lower than reg unleaded in Detroit. It looks like the gap is narrowing where E85 was just about 30 cents cheaper.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 7 Beta 7

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:52 AM   #14
GOF
GOF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
my 2007 aura and 2011 kia sorento both cant use e15 or my warranty is voided. at this point unless you can use e85 you shouldnt use e15. see owners manuals. also you will still be able to use e10. the higher the ethonal content the worse for you as a driver. the less the actual gas content the worse the mileage. corn doesnt get the mileage of gas. e15 would have to be alot cheaper to be worth it even if you could use it.
And corn based fuel use more crude to produce. Start with the tractors and trucks using diesel fuel to plow, plant, and move everything and add the fertilizers made from oil plus the energy used to produce the alcohol and we aren't saving anything. Without the government subsidies the cost would be prohibitive.

Hunger always a global problem and we are turning our food into fuel. Seems kinda strange to me. I don't pretend to have the answers to oil dependency, green energy, and feeding the world but this isn't it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GOF's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GOF reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:20 AM   #15
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

agreed but one of the worst parts of e15 is almost no cars can use it without voiding warranty and most people dont pay attention and will use it because it would be cheaper than e10. and the government is telling people they can use it in 2007 and newer which isnt true.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-09-2011, 10:29 AM   #16
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
and the government is telling people they can use it in 2007 and newer which isnt true.
As of Jan 21, 2011 EPA has decided E15 can be used in 2001 vehicles and newer.

There is a link in post # 2 - above.

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #17
GOF

Quote:
“Recently completed testing and data analysis show that E15 does not harm emissions control equipment in newer cars and light trucks,” said EPA Administrator Lisa P. Jackson. “Wherever sound science and the law support steps to allow more home-grown fuels in America’s vehicles, this administration takes those steps.”
Ok, my O2 sensor and catalytic converter are safe. How about the rest of the fuel system?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GOF's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GOF reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #18
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

the government decided it can be used but the car companies say not. see owners manuals.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #19
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

THere's a guy out there claiming to sell a kit that will convert your car to run on E-85 and that it was approved by the EPA. This is a crock of s***. I contacted the EPA and gave them the web site. They told me that there is no kit available and they haven't put an indorsment on one. They were going to contact the guy and demand that he remove their name off his site or they would shut him down. Now, he has a disclaimer on his site stating that the system is not for vehicles sold in California or vehicles having California emission., which by the way, is almost all new cars sold today. Here's a link to his site:
http://www.change2e85.com/servlet/StoreFront

Here's his video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXajLGqafyk

Here's what Motorweek has to say about it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSdh1PaQ418

"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chillin05VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chillin05VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:39 PM   #20
GOF

There is way more to running E85 than changing the plug and computer. You also need a lot of fuel system and engine work done. Oh, and a source of E85, which I've never seen anywhere around here.LOL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GOF's Reputation