SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
08kewbie
08kewbie is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Emissions

Where is the fuel tank purge valve located on an 08 Astra?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 08kewbie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 08kewbie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
08kewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
Swordfish
Advanced Member
Swordfish is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE
Default Re: Emissions

The tank purge valve, I've no idea. Only know where the fuel rail purge is, but I'm guessing that won't help!

I even had a look on the UK forums, which is usually a goldmine of info, and nothing...

Marc-Antoine

2009 Astra XE 5-door, Twilight Blue.
"I have four rules in the Astra. No food, no drink, no smoking, and no vomit. Got it? Now... let me just put my coffee in the cup holder..."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Swordfish's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Swordfish reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Swordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
bdshaffer
bdshaffer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Are you looking for the evaporative emissions canister vent?
Attached Images
File Type: gif 140695077.gif (16.2 KB, 137 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bdshaffer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bdshaffer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bdshaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #4
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

I think someone asked this once before. The charcoal cannister is located inside the right fender near the passenger door hinges (you'll need to remove the black plastic fender liner to see it). From there, the hoses run directly into the engine compartment near the right strut tower (there should be two quick-release connectors), and to the purge valve near the valve/tappet cover.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
08kewbie
08kewbie is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Thanks! The rear of the engine compartment is where I thought the purge valve was. Then I ordered the part and the description for the part says Fuel tank purge valve. Good I didn't want to drop the fuel tank! Thanks Again

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 08kewbie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 08kewbie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
08kewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:16 AM   #6
astra19
astra19 is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone! I was hoping somebody can confirm for me that the EVAP purge valve is indeed on the passenger side. Is it in front of the tire or behind it? This is in regards to a 2008 Saturn Astra. Thank you very much for any information you can provide me, I really appreciate it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to astra19's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help astra19 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
astra19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
astra19
astra19 is on a distinguished road

Well, thanks to the above poster I just wasted my time removing the plastic wheel well to locate the EVAP purge valve on a 2008 Astra. When in fact it is located next to the gas tank driver side rear. For those of you looking to change one, I did't even need to jack the car up, or use any tools to replace it. It took about two minutes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to astra19's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help astra19 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
astra19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #8
Derek.erickson2
Derek.erickson2 is on a distinguished road

Astra19, can you describe in more detail how you changed the EVAP valve? I have had my check engine lite on for a month, the dealership tried selling me off on the gas cap being the issue, but didn't solve the problem. I'm bringing it in tomorrow to get looked at again, but I'd rather take the reading from the diagnostic they run and fix it myself. The issue is every time I fill up on gas the Astra takes about 2-4 tries to turn over. This is the only time it does this, no rough idles, no shaky accelerations, just fill ups. I'm pretty sure it's the EVAP valve, but I'm sure someone on here might have a better idea.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Derek.erickson2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Derek.erickson2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Derek.erickson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
bdshaffer

2008 Astra XE

Derek.erickson2,
The part you need to solve your problem is here. http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-55562350-ACDELCO-VALVE-CNSTR/dp/B005OVJCYU

There is a cryptic picture of it in Post#3. It is located at the intake manifold in the engine bay.

When this valve fails to close and you fill the tank, fuel is forced into the intake manifold. This floods the engine and makes it hard to start. I replaced this about a year ago due to the same symptoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek.erickson2 View Post
Astra19, can you describe in more detail how you changed the EVAP valve? I have had my check engine lite on for a month, the dealership tried selling me off on the gas cap being the issue, but didn't solve the problem. I'm bringing it in tomorrow to get looked at again, but I'd rather take the reading from the diagnostic they run and fix it myself. The issue is every time I fill up on gas the Astra takes about 2-4 tries to turn over. This is the only time it does this, no rough idles, no shaky accelerations, just fill ups. I'm pretty sure it's the EVAP valve, but I'm sure someone on here might have a better idea.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bdshaffer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #10
Derek.erickson2

bdshaffer,

That sounds like the part I am looking for. I had the diagnostic run again today and it came back with a p0496, the GM dealership where I am stationed, Fort Polk, LA, wanted to charge me to do their own diagnostic, some other emission tests, and labor. Told them to screw off and simply called my relative that works at a dealership in Wisconsin. Read her the code and gave her the symptoms. Called back a few hours later and talked with a service rep who said that its a simple vent solenoid that needs to be replaced: GM part 25932570, runs at $15 at gmpartsdirect.com Now I am looking for someone to give me some advice. Should I go with bdshaffer and buy the ACDelco 55562350 ACDELCO VALVE,EVAP EMIS CNSTR PURGE SOL(W/BRKT) or better off with the one from gmpartsdirect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdshaffer View Post
Derek.erickson2,
The part you need to solve your problem is here.

There is a cryptic picture of it in Post#3. It is located at the intake manifold in the engine bay.

When this valve fails to close and you fill the tank, fuel is forced into the intake manifold. This floods the engine and makes it hard to start. I replaced this about a year ago due to the same symptoms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Derek.erickson2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #11
bdshaffer

2008 Astra XE

Those are two different parts. The 555562350 is the one I think you should replace. It is under the hood.

The 25932570 is the canister vent solenoid located under the car in front of the fuel tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek.erickson2 View Post
bdshaffer,

That sounds like the part I am looking for. I had the diagnostic run again today and it came back with a p0496, the GM dealership where I am stationed, Fort Polk, LA, wanted to charge me to do their own diagnostic, some other emission tests, and labor. Told them to screw off and simply called my relative that works at a dealership in Wisconsin. Read her the code and gave her the symptoms. Called back a few hours later and talked with a service rep who said that its a simple vent solenoid that needs to be replaced: GM part 25932570, runs at $15 at gmpartsdirect.com Now I am looking for someone to give me some advice. Should I go with bdshaffer and buy the ACDelco 55562350 ACDELCO VALVE,EVAP EMIS CNSTR PURGE SOL(W/BRKT) or better off with the one from gmpartsdirect?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #12
Derek.erickson2

I figured they were, but I wasn't quite sure if ACDelco would have the same or different part numbers. I definitely thinking the part 555562350 sounds to fit the cause, but I think I'll end up purchasing both just because they aren't expensive and will probably help the issue. Thanks a ton for the help, it is much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdshaffer View Post
Those are two different parts. The 555562350 is the one I think you should replace. It is under the hood.

The 25932570 is the canister vent solenoid located under the car in front of the fuel tank.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #13
Derek.erickson2

So I received the part today, now the question is how do I remove the elbow connector on the left side of the valve? I didn't want to put to much effort into ripping it off and damaging the part so I left it until I could get better guidance. The images uploaded are the current EVAP valve on the Astra, where the left side has the connecting elbow, and the other picture is of the new EVAP situated in the same position that it will be in once installed. Anyone help?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old EVAP.jpg (111.6 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg New EVAP.jpg (59.3 KB, 117 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-16-2013, 07:13 AM   #14
bdshaffer

2008 Astra XE

Pull and twist.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #15
nrramse
nrramse is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

I'm seeing a code PO496 and stumbled on this thread, and am wondering how it ended up.

Derek - did replacing part number 555562350 "Evap valve" make the code go away?

Thanks, Newell

2008 Astra XE, 5 speed stick

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nrramse's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nrramse reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nrramse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:23 PM   #16
nrramse
nrramse is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

I never did hear from Derek, but I bought the part anyways. Two results:
  • The part number is 55562350, not 555562350 (too many 5's). I was unable to buy it from any of the local parts stores, so I bought it online. After shipping, it was nearly $100.
  • The replacement part did in fact make my code PO496 go away

Newell

2008 Astra XE, 5 speed stick

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nrramse's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nrramse reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nrramse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:59 AM   #17
Masterflex92
Masterflex92 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Part number 55562350 is available on Amazon for $72.64 at the moment in case anyone is interested!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Masterflex92's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Masterflex92 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Masterflex92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:33 AM   #18
JoeKo
JoeKo is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

I stumbled on this thread also, having same issue, my 2008 Saturn Astra XE having real hard start issues, only after filling up the fuel tank, I ordered, the ACDelco 55562350 form Amazon last night, hoping it fixes the issue, Just to clarify..I am planning on digging in tomorrow, this part is located in the engine bay, by the intake manifold, correct?

Joe

'08 Astra XE
80xxx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JoeKo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JoeKo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JoeKo is offline   Reply With Quote