SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
demoncamber
demoncamber is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
Default Car wont start, single click noise heard when turning key.

Car wont start, single click noise heard when turning key.

Started happening about a week ago, sometimes it starts, sometimes it doesnt. Today it did it to me about 4x in a row.

Before I go an order a new starter, are there any specific fuses to check and replace or anything of that nature?

Bat volatge is fine.

///M5sc2-126k-5spd-Eagle GT's
-2x Alpine TypeS 12in 1223D -Kenwood KAC8104D -Audiobahn A4401T
-Alpine SPS-600c - Infinity Kappa 62.9I - 1.5f Cap

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to demoncamber's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help demoncamber reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
demoncamber is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: Car wont start, single click noise heard when turning key.

Sounds like you need a new starter. That one is going to lave you walking real soon now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:01 PM   #3
demoncamber

1997 SC2

Yeah, luckily I got it home safely, it took me about 15 tries before I could get it started. It's definitely on it's way out.

Hey OldNuc how's it going?

I don't know much about starters, so it's normal for them to just flake out like this? Sometimes it just starts up no problem and others, it just clicks and plays dead. But today was the first time it was consistent.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help demoncamber reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
demoncamber

1997 SC2

No chance of it being the Ignition Starter Switch or anything like that right?

Also, anyone know what's the latest SC2 year I can get for a starter for a 97 SC2 if I find one used?

I found a used 2002 sc2 starter motor for $26 and free shipping, as opposed to a new one for $120

Last edited by demoncamber; 01-30-2011 at 09:40 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-30-2011, 10:05 PM   #5
demoncamber

1997 SC2

Either way, I ended up ordering the used 2002 starter for $25, I double checked and the part numbers are the same from the DOHC/SOHC 97-02 models according to rockauto.com. Looks like I lucked out on this one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-30-2011, 10:54 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

The starter is one size fits all 91-02. I usually opt for the recycled starter also. You can buy a bucket full of used starters for 25 ea before you spend 125.00. The only other option would be a dirty battery cable but that also will turn off the power to the radio and make it go brain dead and you would notice that. A good solid click and no whir and 4X tries later it cranks is a bad starter. Dirty battery cables do not fix themselves.

Most of the aftermarket starters seem to have a short life. The used OEM starter will usually outlast the aftermarket Chinese copy or rebuilt unit. These people seem to be the exception though, http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/ No complaints yet that I have heard.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-30-2011, 11:10 PM   #7
demoncamber

1997 SC2

Cool man, you definitely made my night, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I figured a 2002 starter should be in great condition compared to a used 97ish starter. I'm glad I stumbled upon the used prices while searching online.

So far, since I've gotten the car about 2 years ago, everything that has gone bad or needed replacement, I have lucked out to be able to have done myself.

From Plugs/wires, EGR, CTS(?)sensor, Valve cover gasket, water pump, pads/rotors, radiator, thermostat, upper coolant hose , (I think that's it)

Thanks again.

Last edited by demoncamber; 01-30-2011 at 11:16 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-31-2011, 06:40 AM   #8
Chris0381
Chris0381 is on a distinguished road

Where did you get the used starter online from. We have to make a database of spare parts suppliers in case of an emergency. I'd hate to have to ride my bike 7 miles with 6 ft of snow banks lining the roads.

My issue with a cheap stater is that its a tough repair and quite dangerous if just using a jack stand outside and not actual good quality ramps. You need good clearance to get that rear bolt. You don't want to have to keep changing the starter.

Db electrical's starter is just $40 brand new. That sounds too good.

Last edited by Chris0381; 01-31-2011 at 06:47 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chris0381's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chris0381 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chris0381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
demoncamber

1997 SC2

Justparts.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-31-2011, 12:58 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The DB starter is Asian but you are counting on the DB quality control to not get a dog.

Use ramps when changing the starter and take off the right splash shields and you can see and remove the top bolt. Those bolts do not have to be tightened back eye bugging tight. The starter is located by the nose casting. The bolts only keep it from turning. Use antiseize on them and a good snug will do it. Disconnect the battery negative before removing wires from starter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-31-2011, 04:27 PM   #11
demoncamber

1997 SC2

Cool deal, I already prepped myself with richpin's starter vid, I do my own oil usually so I know just where that is. I have ramps, hydro 2ton jack and two mounts, this will be a walk in the park

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-31-2011, 06:17 PM   #12
demoncamber

1997 SC2

Well they just calculated shipping for me so it will come out to $39....So DBelec starter new would cost me $52.00

and the used 2002 starter would cost me $39

Should I just go for the new?

*update* Ended up going new with DB-starter for $52

OldNuc thanks for finding those.

Last edited by demoncamber; 01-31-2011 at 06:29 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-31-2011, 06:47 PM   #13
OldNuc

1998 SC2

It was another poster who discovered DB, I just made a bookmark...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-07-2011, 07:37 PM   #14
demoncamber

1997 SC2

Well... Put in the starter today after getting stranded at the gas station on the way to do the install!!! Had to get pushed and pop the clutch (thank god for manual)

THENNNNNNN it was REALLY hard to get to that top bolt, my extension was too long, managed to get it off but it took forever.

Rest of the disassembly went well. Got the new starter on, top bolt was a B@tch again, then finally went to get the last terminal connected, the 3rd smaller one, and low & behold the bolt was stripped!!!!!!! New bolt, stripped. Ugh

Off to the hardware store tomorrow to try and find a couple bolts, I give this one about a couple days till the stripped one spins off.

Car does start now though

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #15
chingondearmona
chingondearmona is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

just a question, no need to replace my starter but is the started attached somehow to the flywheel to make it spin or is it attached to another type of gear?

1995 Saturn SL2 DOHC 1.9 L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chingondearmona's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chingondearmona reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chingondearmona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:28 PM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The starter pinion is placed into engagement with the flywheel when you energize the solenoid. It pulls the pinion into engagement and then closes contacts to start the starter motor. When the engine starts the pinion is thrown out of engagement and then you let go of the key and a spring inside the solenoid positively retracts the pinion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!