SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2011, 10:49 AM   #21
mateo305ci
mateo305ci is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Saturn L300 Intermittent Starting Issues

I took the car to Chevrolet dealer. I found a dealer that brought in several Saturn techs and equipment into their shop when Saturn shut down. I had them run diagnostics on the car, and they found the issue to be a bad ECM. I asked them about the Security features, as well as the BCM, and they said they checked out fine and all the codes point to the Engine Control Module. They said that the P0601 code particularly indicates a faulty ECM. I'm glad that I got this diagnostic done!

The dealer quoted me $897 for a new ECM, installation, and reprogramming . I have a good relationship with a GM dealer a few miles down the road, and they have agree to sell me a new ECM for $410, and they will reprogram it for free if I bring the car in with the new ECM installed.

So my next series of questions:
1. Where exactly is the ECM located? I've been searching threads, and cannot find a pic/description of the ECM location.
2. Am I correct in assuming that the car will no longer be drivable after a new ECM is installed w/ no programming done yet?
3. Does this sound like a correct diagnosis from the dealer?
4. Is $410 for the part and programming a good deal for ECM replacement?

Again, thank you guys so much...you've been a HUGE help!

P.S. Now, the car will only start if the battery is disconnected for 30 sec. As soon as I reset the computer by disconnecting the battery, the car fires right up.

Last edited by mateo305ci; 02-18-2011 at 10:57 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mateo305ci's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mateo305ci reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mateo305ci is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #22
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

ECM failure? That's rare. Frankly I don't know if a new, unprogrammed ECM will run the engine. Usually the dealer has the dead car and upon determining a dead ecm they pull it, replace it with the new one and program it through the DLC. It would be interesting if they sell you a new unprogrammed ecm to install yourself as this presumes they know the car will run but won't tell you that a relearn procedure is needed before the ecm will work. This relearn is basically a 30 minute procedure for synching the ecm to the bcm as a fuel password is learned/exchanged for security purposes to be used for the factory theft deterrent system. BCM's or ECM's will not allow the car to start/run until this synch procedure is done. I don't have the service manual here at work. Its home so I cannot comment further until I read what's involved and post the pdf or send you the pdf (must have your e-mail address by pm).

My ecm is on the engine block, driver's side on the rear cylinder banks. It sits on a square aluminum sheet about 6" x 6" and has two multiple pin connectors attached on top of the ecm, Siamese style. Just look on the right rear top of the engine for the two large electrical connectors. The ecm is under them. $410 seems ok.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:00 PM   #23
mateo305ci

Yes, I've heard that the ECM generally has been reliable in these cars, which is why I was surprised to hear the news from the GM techs.

I have a pretty cozy relationship with the techs at this GM dealership, which is why they're giving me the part to put on myself, and reprogramming it for free. I think my plan is to drive the car to their shop, switch out the ECM in the parking lot, and roll it into their garage for reprogramming.

When I get home I'll take a pic of what I think is the ECM on the car, just to confirm with the experts here.

The PDF would be VERY helpful I think...I'm PM'ing you my email.

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mateo305ci reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #24
mateo305ci

@fdryer Thank you for those documents, they helped immensely! It looks like the physical replacement of the ECM is a breeze. I think my plan will be to drive it to the dealer (they are going to let me use one of the bays in their garage), switch out the ECM, and then let them reprogram it?

Just to verify, I took a pic under the hood of what I assume to be the ECM. Am I correct? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (119.9 KB, 65 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-18-2011, 07:10 PM   #25
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Hey!? How'd you open my hood and take a picture of my/your ECM?

Go lightly as those two connector hold downs were troubling to another member having a difficult time figuring out how to release the 64-pin connectors. Mess up any one pin and this can turn into a nghtmare.

It seems that your GM dealer is working with you to help reduce costs. I've never had the "Saturn experience" and your descriptions seems to describe a dealer's service department willing to work with a customer. Hopefully this fixes your issues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:20 AM   #26
mateo305ci

The ECM fixed it! I drove the car over to the dealer on Friday. They let me park the car in one of their service bays and replace the ECM myself, which took me about five minutes. When I was done, they brought the laptop and Tech II over and programmed the ECM for me, which took about 20 min.

The car now starts right up EVERY time, and has no service/check engine lights. This fix seemed to also take care of the hard-shifting transmission.

All in all, I spent $410 for the part (lists for $645). The dealer programmed the car for me at no charge. Hopefully, I can continue to get some good service out of this car now.

Thank you to everyone who helped guide me through this issue!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-28-2015, 08:59 AM   #27
Becky
Becky is on a distinguished road

My car wouldn't start, so I had the fuel pump and fuel filter replaced. I went to start it and it still wouldn't start. My stepson sprayed starting fluid in and it started and ran for about 5-6 minutes and then it stopped. My stepson also checked the schrader valve, but nothing came out. I have been looking on here for ideas of what it could. Could it be anything else besides the CPS or the BCM?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Becky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Becky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:48 AM   #28
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Providing information about maintenance history would be helpful along with the year of your, presumably, L300. Have you seeing any warning lights illuminating at the dash console, either the engine or wrench light, and remaining on for any length of time? If so, there could be stored DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes).

While failing or failed BCMs have exhibited strange behaviors in our cars, the majority of them tend to be related to information issues seen through the dash console (erratic gauge movements or loss of movement, warning lights flashing erratically or not coming on at all) interior/exterior lighting problems. If your car has not demonstrated problems in those areas then the BCM should be considered, for now, as functioning normally.

273,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:00 AM   #29
Becky

Oops, sorry about that. Yes, I have a 2001 L300. The only light that is ever on is the check engine light and that has been on for years. The wrench light has never come on and no other warning lights come on. I have no other issues like you mentioned about the exterior/interior lights. I have never had a problem with it not starting like this until of late. I just think the car is mad at me because I ended up buying a new car (the muffler fell off and now this). Lol. It's like the fuel isn't getting up to the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
Providing information about maintenance history would be helpful along with the year of your, presumably, L300. Have you seeing any warning lights illuminating at the dash console, either the engine or wrench light, and remaining on for any length of time? If so, there could be stored DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes).

While failing or failed BCMs have exhibited strange behaviors in our cars, the majority of them tend to be related to information issues seen through the dash console (erratic gauge movements or loss of movement, warning lights flashing erratically or not coming on at all) interior/exterior lighting problems. If your car has not demonstrated problems in those areas then the BCM should be considered, for now, as functioning normally.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Becky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-28-2015, 10:06 AM   #30
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
Oops, sorry about that. Yes, I have a 2001 L300. The only light that is ever on is the check engine light and that has been on for years.
I want to be sure that I'm clear on this. The check engine light has been regularly on for years? If so, was the vehicle ever taken to a mechanic for diagnosis?
Quote:
I just think the car is mad at me because I ended up buying a new car (the muffler fell off and now this). Lol.
Thank you, I love the humor!

Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-28-2015, 10:22 AM   #31
Becky

No, I never took it to a mechanic to have it checked. My dad would unhook the battery and then hook it back up and if would be off for a while, but then come right back on. But I never had any problems because of the check engine light being on. The sad thing is the only person that I trust to work on my car is my Dad or the business that I buy tires from.

Glad you like the humor. Lol. I have repaired other things on the car in the past but since I bought the other car, those 2 things have happened. Lol.

Quote:
I want to be sure that I'm clear on this. The check engine light has been regularly on for years? If so, was the vehicle ever taken to a mechanic for diagnosis?
Thank you, I love the humor!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-28-2015, 10:48 AM   #32
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
No, I never took it to a mechanic to have it checked. My dad would unhook the battery and then hook it back up and if would be off for a while, but then come right back on. But I never had any problems because of the check engine light being on.
That was unfortunate as that warning light should never be ignored when is remaining illuminated. It is very likely a key to solving your problem.
Quote:
Glad you like the humor. Lol. I have repaired other things on the car in the past but since I bought the other car, those 2 things have happened. Lol.
In states other than CA, many franchised auto parts stores will read DTCs for you just by taking your car to their stores and asking them to do a check. They may even loan the code reader to you. You can also purchase an OBD II code reader. I bought one from Walmart which also reads ABS trouble codes. It may be able to extract a code even without the engine running, but I'm not certain of that. If the code can't be read without the engine running, then perhaps if you can get it started and running once again for a few minutes the code reader will get some information out of the ECM for you.

Using an OBD II code reader is not difficult. The plug in for it on our cars is beneath the dash near the hood release lever.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-28-2015, 11:16 AM   #33
Becky

I asked my husband about the code reader from the auto parts store and where they rented them out and he wasn't sure. He knows the one auto parts store will check the codes for you, but that store is an hour away from where I live. I will call the auto parts store in my town to see if they have on for rent. Of course, it definitely wouldn't hurt to buy one.

Thank you for your help on this. If anyone else has any suggestions, I would definitely be interested in hearing them as well. Thanks again.

Quote:
That was unfortunate as that warning light should never be ignored when is remaining illuminated. It is very likely a key to solving your problem.
In states other than CA, many franchised auto parts stores will read DTCs for you just by taking your car to their stores and asking them to do a check. They may even loan the code reader to you. You can also purchase an OBD II code reader. I bought one from Walmart which also reads ABS trouble codes. It may be able to extract a code even without the engine running, but I'm not certain of that. If the code can't be read without the engine running, then perhaps if you can get it started and running once again for a few minutes the code reader will get some information out of the ECM for you.

Using an OBD II code reader is not difficult. The plug in for it on our cars is beneath the dash near the hood release lever.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-26-2016, 06:20 PM   #34
Karyn
Karyn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
DTC P0601 Control Module Read Only Memory (ROM)

DTC P1870 Transmission Component Slipping

DTC U2105 Lost Comm with Engine Control System

The first and third lines most likely are due to the electronics having a spastic moment (it does happen) while P1870 is not good news. A reset of these codes are in order to see if they all come back. You can either use a reader to reset memory, pull the battery negative cable for a minute or pull the ecm B+ fuse for a minute. The battery cable wipes out radio memory while the ecm fuse only erases the ecm memory.

Are you aware that the car is due a new timing belt, water pump and spark plugs?
Sorry - don't know how to post yet. If the car starts better when it's cold and intermittent - mine was a crank shafts positioning sensor and it's a Saturn L-300 and it was at 128,000

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Karyn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Karyn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Karyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:18 AM   #35
Kingjefe_tae
Kingjefe_tae is on a distinguished road

Wrench Re: Saturn L300 Intermittent Starting Issues

Hello everyone.
I have a 2004 L300 V6 with 99,258 miles.
Just recently my car started acting funny.
My rpms would rise to 2000 in park, low power mode and ses light came on. My car stalled twice on the highway and wouldn't start until I waited 15mins. I took it to auto zone and they gave me these codes.
P0727
P2119
P2101
P0700
Can someone please help me out on my problems.
Thank you in advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kingjefe_tae's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kingjefe_tae reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kingjefe_tae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 04:16 AM   #36
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

P0700 and P0727 are related to xmission control module communications to the ecm. P2101 and P2119 are related to throttle actuator errors. Reduced power mode a default program in the drive by wire system (throttle actuator/ecm/pedal) if feedback position sensors fail to send anticipated signals. Stalling and difficulty restarting with close to 100k miles suggests several things; 100k mile services (fuel filter, timing belt, spark plugs and water pump replacement), cleaning throttle body, air filter.

At minimum, try cleaning the intake portion of the electric throttle with a rag soaked in solvent. A strong return spring is used to keep the throttle plate closed when ignition is off. Do not leave ignition on when cleaning throttle bodies. Forcing it open, carefully, and propping it open a with a wooden or plastic stick can help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2016, 07:05 PM   #37
Kingjefe_tae

Ok I got my throttle body fixed and the codes for that are no longer showing. Now it's still the P0700 and P0727 showing. My car starts up and runs fine until the engine temperature gets to the halfway mark and cuts offf whether I'm driving or stopped at a light. I was told I could have some condensation somewhere by one person. And told something could be wrong inside my transmission by another person. Any ideas of what you think could be wrong? I'm almost to the point where I wanna jus sell it even tho I know it's still a good car. I'm jus tired of the headache that's coming along with it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Kingjefe_tae reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-07-2016, 07:57 PM   #38
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

What do you mean "engine temperature gets to the halfway mark and cuts offf?.....? The engine shuts off or the temperature gauge goes to zero? No one is clairvoyant and writing in loose terms can be misleading. Please be specific.

Coolant temperatures for L300's should be between the 1/4 and 1/2 marks. Temps indicating 1/2 suggests some issues; old coolant never changed at recommended intervals, possible sticking t-stat (not likely), dirt blocking the a/c condenser coil in front of the radiator, one or both cooling fans inoperative, etc.. What's car history of maintenance done, parts replaced, mileage?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2016, 10:45 PM   #39
Kingjefe_tae

When temperature gauge gets close to half my car cuts off and won't start unless I let it sit for 10-15 minutes. As if something has to cool down before it will restart. Check engine light on and service engine soon light on. No new parts other than battery and alternator. 99,332 miles. No new fluids other than oil change. First car ever so I don't really know wen things should b changed. Got the car with 87,000 miles in April 2016.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-08-2016, 09:13 AM   #40
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to all

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2

If your Check Engine Light is on you need to get the codes read. You can get them done free at most auto stores. They should tell you the codes AND what those codes mean as well as pointing you in the direction of solutions.

That is your first step.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote