SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2011, 10:07 PM   #1
Partymmudasti
Advanced Member
Partymmudasti is on a distinguished road

Default 2003 VUE 3.0L oil leak

My Dads 2003 VUE AWD with the 3.0l V6 and 93000 miles recently developed a massive, explosive engine oil leak. It blew out 3 quarts of oil underneath the hood and the oil was everywhere- onto the radiator, all over the battery and top of the engine, and the firewall. My Dad was waiting at a red light and smelled burnt oil, pulled over immediately and found the oil.

Up to this point, it never once leaked oil and the engine bay was spotless. I had it detailed before winter and the detailer even commented on how clean it was.

So I bring it to the Chevy shop and they diagnose it as the valve cover gaskets and plenum gaskets.

Correct me if Im wrong, but Ive had many many cars with leaky valve covers and Ive NEVER seen one explode under the hood. To me, the valve cover would have to be very loose or have a hole in it to put 3 quarts of oil (at once) under the hood, no? Also, it seemed to only do it once. We refilled the oil, and he started it. It wasnt leaking then. The oil filter cap is tight and that was the first thing I checked - its bone dry, not the leak.

I had the dealer replace the timing belt and associated tensioners/pulleys, water pump and serpentine belt while they were in there. The whole gig cost $1300 Seems like the Saturn Dealership was a better deal the whole time... oops! My dad drove away from the dealership and the service wrench and check engine light came on. He came to me and I scanned it with my Actron, was a low voltage to the knock sensor code, so I sent him right back to the dealer. They said the Tech forgot to connect a spark plug wire (We all know its coil over plug), there was no misfire code, so I have no idea what smoke they were blowing then. My Dad still says it smells badly of burning oil and its coming through the vents.

Does this sound like something the valve cover gaskets and plenum gasket could do? Or did they (possibly) fix something that is unrelated? Anybody else have a problem like this before with their VUE?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Partymmudasti's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Partymmudasti reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Partymmudasti is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2011, 07:41 AM   #2
IMkenNY
IMkenNY is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2003 VUE 3.0L oil leak

It sounds like your crank case vent hose had froze up (water vapor collected in it from the combustion process).

As I recall there was a technical service bulletin concerning this on the 3.0 engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IMkenNY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IMkenNY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IMkenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:04 AM   #3
Partymmudasti
Advanced Member
Partymmudasti is on a distinguished road

Thanks!

I did a ton of searching on here last night and found the TSB pertaining to it and Im sure thats exactly whats wrong. There is always condensation under the oil cap and the oil filler (My Dad is 75 and drives very little plus when he does drive he never goes on long trips) so Im sure thats what happened.

Not to mention, the day this happened was one of the coldest we've had here this winter...it all makes sense now

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Partymmudasti's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Partymmudasti reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Partymmudasti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a jewel in the roughbluesl2 is a jewel in the roughbluesl2 is a jewel in the roughbluesl2 is a jewel in the rough

Make sure the pcv hose is rerouted over the top of the intake manifold, the original routing causes the hose to be low and collect condensation, it gets frozen, then poof goes the cam cover gasket.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
VTchemist
VTchemist has a spectacular aura aboutVTchemist has a spectacular aura about

2003 VUE 3.0L

I too have to have my valve cover gaskets replaced at 100,000 miles. I did not have the explosive issue your Dad's VUE had. I just had the constant smell of burning oil coming into the cabin.

I do agree with bluesl2 about the hosing.

Good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTchemist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTchemist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Holy Cow! I've had some minor leakage at the cam covers too and I forgot all about that hose deal. I've been using the 'Recirculate' button to keep the burning oil smell out of the cabin until I can get the gaskets done or at least snug down the covers. The front ones that I could get to were a little loose. Obviously, and for all the would-be mechanics, you do not crank down on the cam cover bolts - you take a 1/4" drive short little handle and just snug them down. The covers are polymer and can crack, and if the gaskets are bad it's only going to help a little anyway. BTW, mine's been leaking for several months but I'm still not seeing it on the dipstick and no drips in the driveway so it's still very minor - just smells major! That Valvoline Max Life really stinks when it hits the exhaust manifold.
Okay, later, I'm going out to check that hose.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
1saxman
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

ETA: My hose does go under the manifold runners. And, I figured out what happened. I had the VUE in the body shop for some minor repair, and they messed around with it for over two weeks before I could get it - but it was a nice job . Anyway, we had severely cold weather during that period, and I'm sure they shuttled the car around several times, just starting it and turning it off before it warmed up. Ice formed in the PCV hose, so when I picked up the car and drove off pressure built up and the oil leak started. I'm confident that's what happened because that's when I first noticed the burnt oil smell.
Here's another fact for you - if positive pressure continues to occur in the crankcase, no gasket can hold back the oil. You have to be sure that you are getting a vacuum on the hose and that the hose is clear of anything, be it ice or gunk build-up. Even with bad gaskets and/or loose covers, the oil leak will be minor if the PCV system is working and the engine does not produce excessive blow-by.
Another factor that can cause a bad leak is sludge. If an engine gets sludged-up and the oil drain-back holes in the cylinder heads get clogged, you can really blow out some oil from the cam/valve covers. Generally, if you look in the oil fill with a flashlight and don't see brown/black flaky crud built up, you're probably okay.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #8
300maximilien
300maximilien is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

Girlfriend just called informing me about an oil leak in the Vue

pictures sent show oil on the Air Box cover, valve cover and sprayed up on the hood liner on the passenger side

wondering if our crank case ventilation hose froze up like described here.....was around 0 degrees last night and this was the first sign of any oil leaking and it was more of a "blow out" than a casual leak

anyone have the TSB info they can post here or PM me??

2002 Saturn Vue V-6 81,000 miles
2002 Chrysler 300M Special 115,000 miles
1978 Dodge Li'l Red Express 78,000 miles
1997 Dodge Neon 2dr Sport 130,000 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 300maximilien's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 300maximilien reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
300maximilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #9
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to all

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300maximilien View Post
anyone have the TSB info they can post here or PM me??
See this thread . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=130915

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:08 PM   #10
300maximilien

2002 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
thank you my friend

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 300maximilien reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #11
300maximilien

2002 VUE 3.0L

So after further investigation (by me..lol) it appears that pressure build up due to an ice clogged PCV hose like mentioned here. Which caused the dipstick to pop out of the tube releasing oil out through the tube. All I can do at this point is clean and inspect the area over the next few days of use to see if any seals were damaged due to this.

I have rerouted the hose as per the FSM quoted here

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbw View Post
Engine/Emissions - Oil Leaks In Sub-Freezing Temps.
File in Section: 06 - Engine/Propulsion System

Bulletin No.: 04-06-01-001

Issue Date: January, 2004

Subject:
Oil Leaks from Engine After Sub-Freezing Temperatures (Remove Ice/Water
from Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) Hose and Re-route Hose)
Models Affected:
2002-2003 Saturn VUE Vehicles
with 3.0L V6 Engine (VIN B - RPO L81)
Attention: Technician

Condition:

Some customers may comment on oil leaks from the engine during or following sub freezing temperatures.

Cause:

This condition may be caused by water freezing in the PCV hose located between the throttle body and oil separator causing high crank case pressures resulting in oil leaks.

Correction:

Remove ice/water from PCV hose and re-route hose to eliminate low sections to prevent blockage in sub-freezing temperatures. Refer to service procedure in this bulletin. Repair oil leaks using the appropriate Saturn Engine Service Manual.

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...3/ppuser/39758

1. Remove PCV hose from throttle body to PCV oil separator.
Important : Do not remove the braided covering from the hose.
2. Remove rubber isolator from PCV hose.

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...4/ppuser/39758

3. Cut the PCV hose to length as shown. Remove 65 mm (2.5 in) from the throttle body end of the hose.

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...5/ppuser/39758

4. Install PCV hose over intake manifold. Ensure routing is between the A/C line and the intake manifold.

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...7/ppuser/39758

5. Install hose clamp over PCV hose at oil separator.
6. Remove the front Outlet Resonator/Duct Assembly-to-Support Bracket Bolt.
7. Install hose retainer, P/N 2043150, over PCV hose and secure with Air Cleaner Outlet Resonator Bolt.
Tighten
Tighten the Outlet Resonator/Duct
Assembly-to-Support Bracket Bolts (L81)
to 10 N.m (89 in-lbs).

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...6/ppuser/39758

8. Install PCV hose on throttle body and secure clamp.
Important :Ensure nylon chaff protection is positioned between rubber hose and intake manifold at contact areas.

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...8/ppuser/39758

Parts Information:

Claim Information:

To receive credit for this repair during the warranty coverage period, submit a claim through the Saturn Dealer System for J6020 (Hose, Crankcase Case Ventilation - Replace).

I also noticed a large amount of frozen oily water at the top of the Oil Fill cap. Is this normal after a PCV hose blockage?

I have changed the Oil to help remove some of the water. I did not notice any coolant in the old oil. FWIW the temps have been in the single digits for the last few days.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-25-2011, 03:18 PM   #12
hawthorne
hawthorne is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Hi
I just replaced my Cam cover gaskets while doing Sparks plugs thermostat...
The cam covers bolts were finger loose, the gaskets were hard and there was oil flowing down the back of the engine. The spark plug holes were also full of oil. I would have swore there was no oil leaks on this engine. When i replaced the gaskets and torqued the bolts i use thread lock, so hopefully this won't happen again.

2003 Vue 6cyl 2WD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hawthorne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hawthorne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:14 PM   #13
1saxman
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

How much of a job is it to get the manifold off to get to the plugs and cam covers? Don't you need a gasket kit for the intake?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-26-2011, 09:31 PM   #14
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to all

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
How much of a job is it to get the manifold off to get to the plugs and cam covers?
It's a fairly big PITA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
Don't you need a gasket kit for the intake?
Not unless the molded-in gaskets gets damaged.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Adap Pl.JPG (71.7 KB, 94 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #15
tobefree
tobefree is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 ION-3 Sedan

is there a special tool to remove the crimp clamp from the throttle boby end.
Can you just cut it off and use a stainless steel screw hose clamp. I order the hose retainer from dealer about eight buck. Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tobefree's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tobefree reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tobefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:56 PM   #16
BlownL36
BlownL36 is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

this is a great post. thanks for posting! im gona be doin this on saturday!!!

2002 Vue 3.0L V6 AWD
2002 GTP-Ton of Mods!
2004 Cobra- Ton of Mods!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BlownL36's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BlownL36 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BlownL36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #17
Rob Taulbee
Rob Taulbee is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
1998 SL1

It has been frigid here in Ohio the past few weeks, and I just experienced the same issue with the PCV hose freezing. The local Chevy dealership gave me the service bulletin posted above, and the old Saturn Dealership in Dayton had already done this to the Vue. After tracking down the hose, I found the Oil Separator was clogged. It had old gooey crap about 1/4" into the hose fitting. I sprayed the entire unit inside and out with carb cleaner. The smaller hose and the back side was also clogged, so I ran a .35mm guitar string down through it and opened it up. I hope cleaning this unit like this won't hurt anything. The dealer told me a new one is around $150. It is clean now, and air can be blown in both ports. Has anyone else cleaned one of these, and been OK afterwards? I am going to put it back on the Vue in a few minutes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rob Taulbee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rob Taulbee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rob Taulbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #18
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Taulbee View Post
It has been frigid here in Ohio the past few weeks, and I just experienced the same issue with the PCV hose freezing. The local Chevy dealership gave me the service bulletin posted above, and the old Saturn Dealership in Dayton had already done this to the Vue. After tracking down the hose, I found the Oil Separator was clogged. It had old gooey crap about 1/4" into the hose fitting. I sprayed the entire unit inside and out with carb cleaner. The smaller hose and the back side was also clogged, so I ran a .35mm guitar string down through it and opened it up. I hope cleaning this unit like this won't hurt anything. The dealer told me a new one is around $150. It is clean now, and air can be blown in both ports. Has anyone else cleaned one of these, and been OK afterwards? I am going to put it back on the Vue in a few minutes.
Rob ... it appears you've covered the bases in a good manner. Any cleaning job is better than having any of those devices clogged.

One way to determine if the PCV system is operating somewhat efficiently is to pull oil dipstick and run engine around 1500 RPM. Check for a slight vacuum at dipstick opening.

If it sucks - its good ... if it blows - it needs more cleaning.

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:51 AM   #19
Rob Taulbee
Rob Taulbee is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
1998 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
Rob ... it appears you've covered the bases in a good manner. Any cleaning job is better than having any of those devices clogged.

One way to determine if the PCV system is operating somewhat efficiently is to pull oil dipstick and run engine around 1500 RPM. Check for a slight vacuum at dipstick opening.

If it sucks - its good ... if it blows - it needs more cleaning.
It is raining here, so I will check it under a canopy at the gas station in the morning. I also changed the oil, and added 10 oz of Motor Kote at the advice of a mechanic friend of mine. it sounded great , and ran great tonight. I have my fingers crossed I now need to change the timing belt, probably won't be as much fun

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rob Taulbee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rob Taulbee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rob Taulbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:40 PM   #20
Pastor
Pastor is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
Dazed Re: 2003 VUE 3.0L oil leak

This is a great discussion! My VUE seems to have this issue (it has been a brutal winter), and the hose is routed under the intake manifold. The hose connection to the throttle body seems easy enough to access, but the other end at the oil separator seems beyond the reach of my fat hands! Any tricks to accessing this (bottom access, moving wiring, having my 5 year-old use his hand, etc.)? Honestly, it seems inaccessible.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pastor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pastor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pastor is offline   Reply With Quote