SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2011, 12:41 PM   #1
CqOUzwsT
CqOUzwsT is on a distinguished road

Default Interior door fabric falling off... spray adhesive wont work

The stupid spray glue will only keep the interior fabric on for a month or so, anyone have any ideas before I try and use a staple gun on it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CqOUzwsT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CqOUzwsT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CqOUzwsT is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
saturn_babe
saturn_babe is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1
Default Re: Interior door fabric falling off... spray adhesive wont work

My brother has a 96 SC1 and his is doing that, too... he calls it "cheap ass interior". I wonder if that's a common problem? He hasn't fixed it, yet... I'll be interested in what others say, too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_babe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_babe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nice

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

Are you using an adhesive made for car interior trim, or basic spray glue? If using adhesive trim glues and still having problems, you may need to clean one side of the bonding surface.

For example, if there is still powdery foam stuck on the ceiling of the interior, your glue may be bonding with the powdery foam and pulling the foam off.

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction? Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p 102k @ purchase, now 169k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
CqOUzwsT
CqOUzwsT is on a distinguished road

The spray is designed for interiors. I think it might be sticking to the rough backing, not sure. What would be the best way to remove that backing?
jack

96 Saturn SC1
~106000 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CqOUzwsT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CqOUzwsT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CqOUzwsT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:40 AM   #5
FenderGuitars77
FenderGuitars77 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1
1992 SL1

Buy the RedlineGoods leather door panel inserts.

I originally contacted them about it and got them for free for doing the write up on it, and as far as I know I don't know anybody else with an S-car with leather door panel inserts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FenderGuitars77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FenderGuitars77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FenderGuitars77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:56 AM   #6
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Wrench Re: Interior door fabric falling off... spray adhesive wont work

If it helps any, I have recovered the headliner, visors, door panels, sunroof slider and 3rd tail light cover and it all sticks very well. The key is using the correct adhesive as a previous poster said.

Go to WalMart or your favorite parts store and look specifically for 3M 08088 "trim" adhesive (spray can). It is not expensive and it will not come loose in summer interior heat. Just beware that it is a very strong contact adhesive. When the pieces you coat with it touch each other, they are not letting go. You pretty much get one chance to get it right. Use helpers to drape the fabric or covering over the panel as you work.

You can usually use acetone or naptha to remove the old adhesive from panels, but DON'T get it on anything that will show because it can scar plastic or paint (particularly acetone, though naptha is not as agressive).

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:26 AM   #7
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac will become famous soon enoughVUEmaniac will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderGuitars77 View Post
Buy the RedlineGoods leather door panel inserts.

I originally contacted them about it and got them for free for doing the write up on it, and as far as I know I don't know anybody else with an S-car with leather door panel inserts.
I was actually thinking of re-doing mine with leather as well. I don't see door inserts listed on their website. Do you have a contact there you can PM me?

The stock spongy velour stuff is starting to peel/sag a bit on mine. I have some leftover 3M adhesive from the headliner job so perhaps I can go that route until I find something better.

Thanks,

You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks.

-Winston Churchill-

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #8
FenderGuitars77
FenderGuitars77 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1
1992 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VUEmaniac View Post
I was actually thinking of re-doing mine with leather as well. I don't see door inserts listed on their website. Do you have a contact there you can PM me?

The stock spongy velour stuff is starting to peel/sag a bit on mine. I have some leftover 3M adhesive from the headliner job so perhaps I can go that route until I find something better.

Thanks,
If you go to the 91-94 install page it have the instructions on there. I would just try emailing them. I see your user name is VUEmaniac... if you're doing it for a Vue, they could have you pay to have it done, you'd email them the measurements of the current fabric, and when they send you the leather, you'd include instructions how to install it and they refund all your money.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FenderGuitars77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FenderGuitars77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FenderGuitars77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #9
Norseman
Norseman is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYguy View Post
If it helps any, I have recovered the headliner, visors, door panels, sunroof slider and 3rd tail light cover and it all sticks very well. The key is using the correct adhesive as a previous poster said.

Go to WalMart or your favorite parts store and look specifically for 3M 08088 "trim" adhesive (spray can). It is not expensive and it will not come loose in summer interior heat. Just beware that it is a very strong contact adhesive. When the pieces you coat with it touch each other, they are not letting go. You pretty much get one chance to get it right. Use helpers to drape the fabric or covering over the panel as you work.

You can usually use acetone or naptha to remove the old adhesive from panels, but DON'T get it on anything that will show because it can scar plastic or paint (particularly acetone, though naptha is not as agressive).

I second the 3M trim adhesive for about $8-9 at Walmart. I've used it on my door interior panel trim and it's holding well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Norseman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Norseman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Norseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:17 PM   #10
jkjoe
jkjoe is on a distinguished road

I had a similar problem with the door fabric peeling off. I originally tried just to use some spray adhesive I had around the house, but it didn't work very well. I stumbled upon this website that sells upholstery supplies, and I ordered their spray adhesive. It worked really well and I haven't had any problems since. The best part is it's only 4.17$ a can. The site is A1foamandfabrics.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jkjoe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jkjoe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jkjoe is offline   Reply With Quote