SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
cvqlead
cvqlead is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 2.2L
Dizzy 2006 Saturn Vue Radio Problems

I purchased a 2006 Saturn Vue in October of '05. I did not have issues with the factory Bose System until early in 2010. It began in February of '10 by not working with the headlight switch set on "Automatic," if I placed it on manual, things worked fine. Then in May or June it started working on "Automatic" again. In December of '10 the radio started working intermittently, and on December 29, 2010 it quit for good! I cannot even eject my CD that's in the deck. It is as if there is no power to the unit at all, and the fuses are all good. What do I do?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cvqlead's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cvqlead reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cvqlead is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 2006 Saturn Vue Radio Problems

I checked a few service bulletins without finding one that might pertain to your situation.

Does your entertainment system have a separate amplifier?

How about steering wheel control buttons?

When you had the problem of AHL affecting radio - did you note any differences between low and high-beam?

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:16 PM   #3
cvqlead

2006 VUE 2.2L
Happy Re: 2006 Saturn Vue Radio Problems

There are steering wheel radio controls, and no there was no difference between high and low beams. If you have any ideas, I would be thrilled. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cvqlead reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-07-2011, 06:49 PM   #4
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

Firstly, the Vue did not come with a "Bose" system. Ever. Does it say Bose anywhere on your vehicle? It's possible that someone swapped in a Bose radio from a different vehicle or something that could be causing your issues.

Have you checked your fuses? Noticed anything else in the car not working (12V sockets, overhead lights, etc.)?

The radio would work with the lights on or off, but it would not work in the "Auto" mode?

Sorta sounds like some sort of data issue if the fuses are fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
cvqlead

2006 VUE 2.2L
Dazed Re: 2006 Saturn Vue Radio Problems

Says premium Bose System in owner's manual, bought it brad new from a Saturn dealer with only 7 miles on it. There was no radio swapout. I checked the fuses before I posted the problem- they are fine. I guess I will have to pay the Goodwrench guys $95 an hour to get my answer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-08-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
XRL
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line

It sounds like one of two things is the culprit, either the radio is dead, or the turn on data isn't coming on. I'm not familiar with that particular radio, but can you take CDs out of that radio with the car off? If you're able to do that, the culrpit is the data system not telling the radio to turn on.

Regardless, in either situation replacing it with an aftermarket may be your most cost effective solution. You could get a decent radio for probably $300 or so installed, or get something nicer for a bit more.

Beats paying Mr. Goodwrench $95 an hour for them to tell you you need a very expensive new radio. And if the data system is the culprit, getting a new switched power for the turn on should be no issue to turn on the radio.

If you do go the aftermarket route, make sure to get the right data interface for your vehicle. Without the data interface you can get weird issues cropping up, as the car will expect to hear and have the radio on its data network. Sometimes it makes the car freak out when it doesn't, sometimes the car is OK with it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #7
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a jewel in the roughruley73 is a jewel in the roughruley73 is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvqlead View Post
Says premium Bose System in owner's manual, bought it brad new from a Saturn dealer with only 7 miles on it. There was no radio swapout. I checked the fuses before I posted the problem- they are fine. I guess I will have to pay the Goodwrench guys $95 an hour to get my answer.
Look in your owners manual again. The Saturn Vue never had a Bose audio system as an option - just the AAS (Advanced Audio System) option. I bet it says "Base" not "Bose", and base means no amplifier. I posted an excerpt from the 2006 Saturn Vue owner's manual below.

Like XRL said, I also think the stereo is bad or the data link from the BCM is not allowing it to turn on.

2006_Saturn_Vue_Base_radio.JPG

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 150K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #8
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

The 2006 and 2007 VUE radios are very sensitive to voltage drops. That's why several VUE owners radios fail when their batteries die.

You don't have your light sensor blocked on the upper dash on the right side?

The OEM radios in the 06 VUE were manufactured by Panasonic. I don't ever recall seeing Bose associated with any Saturn product.

My sisters Cadillac has a Bose sound system. It sounds good, not a sonic adventure of a lifetime.

IMO the only product Bose makes that really stands out is their QC headphones.

The big joke in the industry regarding Bose.

"No Highs, No Lows; just Bose..."

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 7 Beta 7

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:05 PM   #9
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvqlead View Post
cvqlead ... Lets determine which audio system you have. Why not check the service parts label (rear door - drivers side) for any of the following RPO number groups from GM's 2005 listing. (I note a couple of the products are sourced by Delco-Bose, so perhaps some of us are confused - in addition to me).

UM7 Radio AM/FM Stereo, Seek/Scan, Clock, ETR

UQ4 Speaker System 4, Base

US8 Radio AM/FM Stereo, Seek/Scan CD, Auto Tone, Clock ETR, MP3, RDS

US9 Radio AM/FM Stereo, Seek/Scan, RDS Multiple Compact DISC, Auto Tone Control, Clock, ETR, MP3

UU8 Radio AM/FM Stereo, CD, Navigation, RDS, MP3 Decoder, DVD

UW6 Speaker System 6, Custom

U1C Radio AM/FM Stereo, Seek/Scan, CD, Clock, ETR

U2K Digital Audio System S-Band

U32 Entertainment PKG Rear Seat, Player, DVD

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-08-2011, 11:04 PM   #10
What a VUE
What a VUE is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
My sisters Cadillac has a Bose sound system. It sounds good, not a sonic adventure of a lifetime.

IMO the only product Bose makes that really stands out is their QC headphones.

The big joke in the industry regarding Bose.

"No Highs, No Lows; just Bose..."
Another Bose-hater...

I have a Bose system in my '98 JettaGLX and it sounds great. Far better than most other car stereos I've heard.

Dave
07 VUE 3.5 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to What a VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help What a VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
What a VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:29 PM   #11
XRL
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by What a VUE View Post
Another Bose-hater...

I have a Bose system in my '98 JettaGLX and it sounds great. Far better than most other car stereos I've heard.
I'm a Bose hater too Bose systems for me are just for the "wow look how small the speakers are" effect.

I've never been impressed with a Bose system in a car. Some have been OK, but I've never been impressed. More Bose systems have been unimpressive for me than ones that I thought were OK.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Old 01-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #12
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a jewel in the roughruley73 is a jewel in the roughruley73 is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRL View Post
I'm a Bose hater too Bose systems for me are just for the "wow look how small the speakers are" effect.

I've never been impressed with a Bose system in a car. Some have been OK, but I've never been impressed. More Bose systems have been unimpressive for me than ones that I thought were OK.
+1^^

Another Bose hater here too.

Their mobile/car audio systems have never impressed me. IMO they only make it more difficult to upgrade the audio system in the cars they are in. When shopping for a new car, a Bose system is always a deal-breaker to me.

Their home products are over-priced, cheap looking, and mediocre-sounding junk for audio-ignorant folks that can afford to get them. Have you ever tried to get detailed specifications for Bose products? Good luck. Their speakers only have a resistance and a power rating.

Their headphones do sound pretty good, but there are other models for a lesser price that are better IMO.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #13
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

C'mon man. Its OK to hate on equipment but IMHO its not good form to say anyone owning a Bose product is "audio-ignorant".

I think you've done good work on here and I'm not sure where this shot came from.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-15-2011, 10:16 PM   #14
ruley73
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
C'mon man. Its OK to hate on equipment but IMHO its not good form to say anyone owning a Bose product is "audio-ignorant".

I think you've done good work on here and I'm not sure where this shot came from.
Yeah, sorry about that. I didn't mean it that way. I meant for it to be a reference to the fact that sound adjustments (bass, treble, EQ, etc.) can't be made to Bose home products. This apparently caters to folks that either don't know how or don't ever care to make adjustments.

Bose makes this into a selling point because a Bose product always produces the best "life-like" "natural sound" without the need for any tuning.....Yeah, right.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-15-2011, 10:42 PM   #15
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
Yeah, sorry about that. I didn't mean it that way. I meant for it to be a reference to the fact that sound adjustments (bass, treble, EQ, etc.) can't be made to Bose home products. This apparently caters to folks that either don't know how or don't ever care to make adjustments.

Bose makes this into a selling point because a Bose product always produces the best "life-like" "natural sound" without the need for any tuning.....Yeah, right.
Excellent ... to be honest good audio stuff is lost on me - my ears wore out many years ago. I do have hearing aids but have found its more fun driving the Vue without them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!