SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
Saturn4Ever
Saturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the rough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Outlook XR
Wrench ABS and Traction Control Trouble Lights

D'oh - Thought I had a perfect Astra. ABS and Traction Control trouble lights have come on two days in a row.

Very disappointed if this is a wheel bearing / abs sensor issue - only 22,000kms.

Any one else out there had this issue or replaced their wheel bearings / when?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn4Ever's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn4Ever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2011, 07:13 AM   #2
72gssaturn
Advanced Member
72gssaturn will become famous soon enough72gssaturn will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: ABS and Traction Control Trouble Lights

i seriously doubt that your problem is a wheel bearing. most like a wheel speed sensor.

Gerry
72 Buick GS red
2008 Astra XR black 3dr
99 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 72gssaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 72gssaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
72gssaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:30 AM   #3
Saturn4Ever
Saturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the rough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Outlook XR

Suspect you are right 72...however if the Astra is like other GM's I've owned, the bearing and sensor are all one component and can't be replaced separately.

I would hope by now they would have figured out a way to make these last longer. Oh well, I'll book an appointment for next week sometime....I already have my Outlook in the shop and thats enough of a pain for this week.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn4Ever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn4Ever View Post
Suspect you are right 72...however if the Astra is like other GM's I've owned, the bearing and sensor are all one component and can't be replaced separately.

I would hope by now they would have figured out a way to make these last longer. Oh well, I'll book an appointment for next week sometime....I already have my Outlook in the shop and thats enough of a pain for this week.
I'll keep my fingers crossed that you are still in warranty for your vehicles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:10 PM   #5
Saturn4Ever

2009 Astra XR
2008 Outlook XR

Yes thankfully both still in the bumper to bumper warranty period. Still a PITA though to be spending time at the dealer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
jflecours
jflecours is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn4Ever View Post
D'oh - Thought I had a perfect Astra. ABS and Traction Control trouble lights have come on two days in a row.

Very disappointed if this is a wheel bearing / abs sensor issue - only 22,000kms.

Any one else out there had this issue or replaced their wheel bearings / when?
My right wheel bearing was replaced under warrenty at roughly the same mileage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jflecours's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jflecours reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jflecours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:17 AM   #7
phatfire6
Advanced Member
phatfire6 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

My ABS light came on because of the CIM issue that plagues our cars. Do you have issues where the stereo controls on the steering wheel do not respond? Does your horn turn the volume up on the radio instead of honking? Something else to think about.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phatfire6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phatfire6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
phatfire6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #8
Saturn4Ever

2009 Astra XR
2008 Outlook XR

Phatfire6 - lol, no my controls behave as they should. My sympathies to you though - that must have been pretty annoying and I bet it was challenging to address.

Also an update on this item....on the third day the engine trouble light has also come on, hoping this is just related to the other issue, engine running and performance / oil level etc all seem fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-07-2011, 04:18 PM   #9
CadiEldo67
CadiEldo67 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I believe the wheel bearing is covered by the 5 year/100,000 mile warranty, I think I seen it on GM's website describing what the warranty was.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CadiEldo67's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CadiEldo67 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CadiEldo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #10
gsrboi80
gsrboi80 is on a distinguished road

Same issue I had last year. Lights came on and they replaced the bearing/sensor assembly as it is all in one. Good as new

03 TB EVO VIII (PT61mm BB) 450awhp Pump Gas (Weekend Warrior)
08 Blue Saturn Astra, 18's, and Leather (Daily Grind)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gsrboi80's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gsrboi80 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gsrboi80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:44 PM   #11
Saturn4Ever

2009 Astra XR
2008 Outlook XR

Ok....so as of today, no more ABS light, no more traction control light and no more check engine light.

I'm *hoping* this was a case of some water getting at (and possibly freezing on) the wheel sensors from a car wash I had just after Christmas. The Astra was parked in my garage after that for about a week - then the problems started showing up the first time I started it up.

I'll keep an eye on this and I'll let everyone know if I see this again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-12-2011, 07:18 PM   #12
NJastra
NJastra is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Those lights also came on for me too, however possibly different circumstances. It was during a blizzard we had a few weeks ago. I was moving my car to save a spot for a family member and got stuck lol. I was spinning the wheels and probably buring the crap out of the clutch as it was in the middle of an intersection. During the struggle the lights came on. They stayed on after a couple restarts in an attempt to clear them. What finally worked was driving OVER the 12mph mark which engages the ABS system and as soon as I heard that clicking sound the lights shut off.

-Jon-

3 dr XR, Twilight Blue, 5 speed manual, 18" 5-star rims, Leather trim package, Heated seats, VXMMI (Advanced Audio)

1987 Z28 - modded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NJastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NJastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NJastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:08 PM   #13
Saturn4Ever

2009 Astra XR
2008 Outlook XR

Just a follow up on this issue, I've had this happen two more times, both without the check engine light.

Both times, the issue went away after the next start-up.

I'm hoping this is a bug in the software relating to the fact that I have winter tires on without TPMS sensors on them. If this happens again once I switch back to my all-seasons, its going into the dealer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-19-2011, 12:51 AM   #14
NineLivesGT
NineLivesGT is on a distinguished road

My 2008 Saturn Astra also suddenly has the Traction Control light and ABS light coming on on the dash display, along with the speedometer needle jumping all over the place, even at idle sitting still in the driveway !
From what I am gathering as I Google "Astra Traction Control and ABS light" and see the many threads and complaints from both Saturn, Opel and Vauxhall Astra owners, this is a very common and with all Astras. Apparently the dealer can correct the problem by replacing the passenger side wheel speed sensor.

I will be bringing my Astra in for service soon, and see what the local (Buick dealership) does about the problem. Obviously the car is still under warrantee so I would expect this to be covered.

Will update once I have a resolution to the issue from the dealership. It appears this is a recurring problem with most Astras, (this complaint is rampant all over the internet) and since it disables the ABS and Traction Control systems, is a safety issue and may warrant a recall for safety reasons. No ABS and Traction Control function should be an urgent issue. When you really need it in snowy weather conditions, and it doesn't work when it's supposed to, could easily result in a crash and injuries or worse.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NineLivesGT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NineLivesGT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NineLivesGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #15
CadiEldo67

2008 Astra XR

I had the same problem. The dealer repaired it under warranty, it stores a code.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help CadiEldo67 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-28-2011, 10:58 PM   #16
NineLivesGT

Just to update regarding my above post... brought the Astra in to the Buick dealership last week - they said indeed it is the front passenger hub bearing/speed sensor that needs to be replaced (it is all one contained unit, they can't just replace the speed sensor, must replace entire hub assembly they said). They had to order one, is supposed to take a week or so to arrive.

The good news is that I showed the service manager the page in the Astra's Warrantee booklet under the 5 year 100k mile coverage section where it states the front and rear hub/bearing assembly is fully covered, they agreed they would replace it no charge under the 5 year warrantee, as the car is beyond the 3 yr bumper-to-bumper coverage.

The car needs an annual inspection sticker too, but they said they can't put a new sticker on it with the ABS and Traction Control lights codes on. Oh great.

Jeez the car has only 16,900 miles on it. Hope Astra's don't have to have this thing replaced every 17,000 miles. Stupid high-tech ABS and TC, I hate all this supposed "advancements" in technology. Has anyone else who has had this replaced had it fail again?

Looks like I'll be driving my 71 Opel GT until I can get an inspection sticker for the Astra. No ABS, no TC, no power windows, door locks, no on-board computer, no MAP sensor, no nothing. But 40 years later and it runs with no worries. And I can fix anything on it with a monkey wrench and a pair of pliers. Dang new-fangled techie geek stuff !!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help NineLivesGT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-30-2011, 06:24 PM   #17
Saturn4Ever

2009 Astra XR
2008 Outlook XR

Update:

This issue happened again last week so decided I'd had enough and went to the dealer today.

Exactly as expected, a bad wheel sensor with the remedy being a replacement of the wheel hub. Glad it was a warranty item - The hub would have been $733.25! I'm happy to say they had the hub in stock and my Astra was back to normal with 3 hours of dropping it off at the dealership.

Here is the writeup:

Tech Cause: I checked the vehicle DTC's and found the left front hub has set C1221-04.

S/T; I tested the left fornt hub and found a short to ground in the wheel speed sensor. Right front hub does not have the same problem I removed and replaced the left front hub assembly. Part returned, code cleared. Road tested, ok - warranty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-01-2011, 07:36 PM   #18
NineLivesGT

Well it's been over a week and the Buick dealership's part department still didn't get the Astra replacement hub/bearing assembly from the factory (or wherever they are getting one from).

RE: previous post by Saturn4Ever - Glad to hear your dealership had one in stock. In and out 3 hours you were? Lucky man I guess.

Geez, when I Googled "Astra TC and ABS problem", there are people all over the world having this problem with their Astras. Vauxhall and Opel Astra owners as well.

We should try and get some feedback here on this forum- how many people have had the passenger side wheel hub/speed sensor malfunction and need to be replaced? If you Traction Control and ABS lights are coming on intermittently, (and/or your speedometer needle jumping about when your at idle when you first start the car, and the doors lock themselves before you put the car in gear) your Astra has this problem too. AND YOU CAN'T GET AN ANNUAL INSPECTION STICKER IF THE TC & ABS LIGHTS ARE ON IN THE DASH DISPLAY

From what Saturn4Ever states above, the PART ALONE is $733 !!!

If this is a defect and needs to be replaced regularly, this should be a recall.

Please everyone chime in here and advise if your Astra is having this problem. I don't think Astra owners will be too happy down the road when the 5 yr warantee is up and you have to shell out $733 plus labor cost to have this thing fixed every year before your annual inspection.

Please everyone some feedback ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-03-2011, 12:26 AM   #19
CadiEldo67

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLivesGT View Post
Well it's been over a week and the Buick dealership's part department still didn't get the Astra replacement hub/bearing assembly from the factory (or wherever they are getting one from).

RE: previous post by Saturn4Ever - Glad to hear your dealership had one in stock. In and out 3 hours you were? Lucky man I guess.

Geez, when I Googled "Astra TC and ABS problem", there are people all over the world having this problem with their Astras. Vauxhall and Opel Astra owners as well.

We should try and get some feedback here on this forum- how many people have had the passenger side wheel hub/speed sensor malfunction and need to be replaced? If you Traction Control and ABS lights are coming on intermittently, (and/or your speedometer needle jumping about when your at idle when you first start the car, and the doors lock themselves before you put the car in gear) your Astra has this problem too. AND YOU CAN'T GET AN ANNUAL INSPECTION STICKER IF THE TC & ABS LIGHTS ARE ON IN THE DASH DISPLAY

If this is a defect and needs to be replaced regularly, this should be a recall.

Please everyone chime in here and advise if your Astra is having this problem. I don't think Astra owners will be too happy down the road when the 5 yr warantee is up and you have to shell out $733 plus labor cost to have this thing fixed every year before your annual inspection.

Please everyone some feedback ?
My feedback, if that's the case, I'll either sell the car or I'll be a very avid DIYer for my repairs. My big concern with dealerships is the wait, it took 6 hours for them to mount and balance 4 tires, install my new wheel hub, put on 4 new brake pads and turn all the rotors, which I didn't even think they did anymore. Needless to say, I was a little irritated when around 12 o'clock I wasn't offered a vehicle to go get some lunch, I didn't know I had to pack a lunch when I get my car serviced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #20
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
That's not unusual, considering that the Astra is the second most common car in Europe -- right behind the Golf.

Quote:
The high OEM price is most likely due to the integral nature of the hub and sensor ring. For those looking for aftermarket parts for European cars, I usually recommend WorldPAC or Altrom. Most autoparts stores should be able to get in contact with either of these.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote