SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
J_DIZZLE360
J_DIZZLE360 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy My saturn keeps jumping time. Why?

I have a 1994 saturn sc1 5 speed coupe. We have replaced the timing because it jumped time once and smashed a valve. It wont stay in time now. it starts right up and idles. as soon as we shut it off to restart it, it wont start. we open it up to look and it has jumped time by one tooth. We have tried three times and this is the last time i will. Do you think it can be the chain tensioner?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to J_DIZZLE360's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help J_DIZZLE360 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
J_DIZZLE360 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: My saturn keeps jumping time. Why?

Did you release the lock pin on the tensioner? Did the movable guide blade move freely or is it bound up? What brand of kit did you install and did you replace all parts or just the chain?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
J_DIZZLE360

i replaced all the parts but i dont remember the kit name. i got it from napa. the bolts for both guides were damaged when it jumped time the first time. and the lock pin was removed. if so where do i find those bolts

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help J_DIZZLE360 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-05-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You can order the bolts, part # 21000686 See this thread post #14 http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=162284

Find the lowest cost and order replacement s. I bet the left guide is bound up and will not tension the chain. You may end up replacing the kit again due to damage from the loose chain. Those are special bolts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-05-2011, 04:37 PM   #5
J_DIZZLE360

i was told by the dealership and customer service those bolts were discontinued. junk yard time...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-05-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Punch the number in at Get Saturn Parts. They probably have them. Or JY will work. No local dealer will give you the time of day for 3 bolts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-05-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
J_DIZZLE360

junk yard it is then. better get my hat and gloves because it will take a while. thanks for the help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

After you get the cover of a junker take a look at how the left guide moves. That may be your problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!