SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
Bealson Wheels
Bealson Wheels is on a distinguished road

1993 SW2
Default 1993 SW2 with new AUDI LED look

I love the way the new Audi's look with their LED daytime running lights. I recently purchased some from Autozone and installed them today. It was a pretty easy process and I think it looks good. Just wondering what other Satty fans think?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bealson Wheels's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bealson Wheels reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bealson Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
Bealson Wheels

1993 SW2
Default Re: 1993 SW2 with new AUDI LED look

I could not get pics to upoload, so I changed my profile pic. Although I don't see that showing up either. Sorry.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Bealson Wheels reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-04-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
Bealson Wheels

1993 SW2

if you click on my profile you can see them. I had the park lights on when I took this pic. Will get some pics when dark and try to figure out what's up with pic posting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-04-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
cfg83
Advanced Member
cfg83 is on a distinguished road

Bealson Wheels -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bealson Wheels View Post
if you click on my profile you can see them. I had the park lights on when I took this pic. Will get some pics when dark and try to figure out what's up with pic posting.
Yeah, I can't see them too well, so nightshots will be better.

If you are having trouble attaching them to your posts via the paperclip icon, maybe you need to downsize them to maybe 800x600 or 640x480 pixels. They should be JPG or GIF, and not Windows BMP files.

CarloSW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cfg83's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cfg83 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:42 PM   #5
Bealson Wheels

1993 SW2

Thanks for the info, just waiting for darkness to fall to get better pics. I am trying the paperclip icon. So I hopefully can get them on. I did crop them from my original, originals never upload for me, so I normally crop before I try to upload.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 009.jpg (166.8 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg 011.jpg (139.7 KB, 159 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-04-2011, 05:59 PM   #6
Bealson Wheels

1993 SW2

Finally dark enough to get some good pics. Here they are. Some are a bit blurry. Let me know what everyone thinks?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 014.jpg (50.0 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg 015.jpg (78.8 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 016.jpg (71.8 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 017.jpg (85.7 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 019.jpg (49.7 KB, 103 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-04-2011, 11:10 PM   #7
93 saturn sl2
93 saturn sl2 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

I smell rice

93 sl2
mp3 swapped
bolt on's
black interior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 93 saturn sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 93 saturn sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
93 saturn sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:13 PM   #8
Redhotftw!
Advanced Member
Redhotftw! will become famous soon enough

your wipers are broken.

and sorry, those look terrible.
scream, i just through these one cause i saw a gap.

1998 "Red Hot" Sc2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Redhotftw!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Redhotftw! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Redhotftw! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:25 AM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Does not look that bad actually.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:00 AM   #10
Bealson Wheels

1993 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post

Thanks OldNuc.

I agree they may be a bit ricey, but I could put a lot worse on. I usually like my cars to have some type of function when I do modify them. I wanted DRL's and decided LEDs would be something different. I love the way the new Audi's look and stole something from them. So I would say it's more Kraut than Rice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-05-2011, 01:37 AM   #11
Redhotftw!
Advanced Member
Redhotftw! will become famous soon enough

You removed a wiper and painted the dash red.

Please, enlighten me on the functionality of these "mods"

The idea of the LED stripes, while over played, isnt a bad one, your execution is just sub par IMO. thats what makes it ricey

1998 "Red Hot" Sc2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Redhotftw!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Redhotftw! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Redhotftw! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:44 AM   #12
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Moneywise, I'd prioritize on making it street legal (fix the driver's side low beam and wipers), unless you like to spend even more money on tickets.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:16 AM   #13
cfg83
Advanced Member
cfg83 is on a distinguished road

Bealson Wheels and OldNuc -

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
I like them too. What is interesting to me is that they "articulate" the hard angle at the corners of the headlights. My 2nd gen has a "softer angle", so the effect would be different. A 2nd gen coupe would be an even smoother transition, so it would be yet another look.

I've entertained the idea of the few aftermarket headlights for the S-Series, but the price has been too high and the quality suspect.

CarloSW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cfg83's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cfg83 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:17 AM   #14
Bealson Wheels

1993 SW2

Redhotftw said
Quote:
"your wipers are broken.

and sorry, those look terrible.
scream, i just through these one cause i saw a gap. "
My wiper is not broke. State law says you just have to clear the critical area on the windshield which is a 5' x 9' rectangle directly in front of driver. I have had the car that way for 2 (two) years and have not gotten a ticket or even pulled over. I follow the law and obey traffic signs.

My car is a daily driver and a pizza delivery car. It's got a few bumps and bruises in it's 17 years of service. I did not put the LEDs on to fill any such gap. They are tiny and would not make a good filler. I simply put them on to have DRLs.

Redhotftw said
Quote:
"You removed a wiper and painted the dash red.

Please, enlighten me on the functionality of these "mods"

The idea of the LED stripes, while over played, isnt a bad one, your execution is just sub par IMO. thats what makes it ricey "

The wiper removal annoys my passengers and so we take their car. That and the fact no one else has done it around where I live is why I removed a wiper and the same goes for the red dash.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-05-2011, 04:34 AM   #15
diplomat1
diplomat1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

I like them. How much were they and what was the part number (if you dont mind )

Prince

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to diplomat1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help diplomat1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
diplomat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:25 AM   #16
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
... a 5' x 9' rectangle directly in front of driver.
That's one big windshield.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:46 AM   #17
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

I like the LEDs though it doesn't look quite right with the "gap" on the inside of the lights where there are no LEDs running along the entire bottom.

Thinking about disabling the DRL Highbeams on mine and replacing with LEDs. Not sure of the placement, though - I don't particularly want it to look like the Audi, but mounting below in the air intake openings might be too low.

I am philosophically opposed to any kind of spray paint on the dash, though. Only time I have seen it look good is when it/parts were changed to black (e.g., covered with black Plasti-dip).

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:23 AM   #18
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Happy Re: 1993 SW2 with new AUDI LED look

Actually, it looks pretty nice IMHO.

But then rather than trying to be an Audi (), why not line the upper edge and sides of the air intake snout below the front lip of the bumper and relocate the license plate (where necessary) instead? Then you'd have a lit frown that would be distinctive for sure and which would not interfere with the headlights at all.

As for LED DRLs, why bother? Just defeat them, then you still have the high beams when you need them. Or..... the lit air intake could serve as DRLs. Lots and lots of them

I utterly despise Audis. I owned two of them. I didn't learn my lesson with the first one. My bad.

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:07 PM   #19
93 saturn sl2
93 saturn sl2 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

Quote:
the fact no one else has done it around where I live is why I removed a wiper and the same goes for the red dash.
There might be a reason for that...

93 sl2
mp3 swapped
bolt on's
black interior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 93 saturn sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 93 saturn sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
93 saturn sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #20
kaptnjack
kaptnjack will become famous soon enoughkaptnjack will become famous soon enough

1995 SW2
1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Bealson Wheels and OldNuc -

I like them too. What is interesting to me is that they "articulate" the hard angle at the corners of the headlights. My 2nd gen has a "softer angle", so the effect would be different. A 2nd gen coupe would be an even smoother transition, so it would be yet another look.

I've entertained the idea of the few aftermarket headlights for the S-Series, but the price has been too high and the quality suspect.

CarloSW2
the corner angles is what I liked about it too

92 SL2 A/T white
93 SL1 man burgundy
93 SL2 A/T turquoise
94 SL1 man medium blue
94 SL2 A/T gold
95 SW2 A/T white (daily driver)
97 SL2 A/T gold
99 SW1 A/T green
95 SW2 man gold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kaptnjack's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kaptnjack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kaptnjack is offline   Reply With Quote