SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
diplomat1
diplomat1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
Default Best thermostat and best spark plugs/wires?

I am replacing both of them soon and i wanted to know which where the best for each of them. I read there is a 185f and 195f or something like that thermostat which is better for my 94 saturn sl2? Also what are the best spark plugs and spark plug wires too for my car. Thanks

Prince

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to diplomat1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help diplomat1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
diplomat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
acfortier
acfortier is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
Default Re: Best thermostat and best spark plugs/wires?

Stant Thermostat 14279 and NGK Copper BKR4ESA-11 plugs. I also bought the Xact wireset from Advance Auto (where both of these parts can be obtained), but I don't think that is much of an impact.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to acfortier's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help acfortier reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
acfortier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by acfortier View Post
Stant Thermostat 14279 and NGK Copper BKR4ESA-11 plugs.
For the DOHC, you'll want BKR5ESA-11.

BKR4ESA-11 is recommended for the SOHC engines

edit: it's a difference in heat rating - slightly colder for the DOHC engines

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction?
Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p
102k @ purchase, now 167k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:33 PM   #4
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

+1 to acfortier and alordofchaos.

I personally use AC-Delco plug wires.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:59 PM   #5
diplomat1

1994 SL2

Is it nickel or copper? Because when i look up BKR5ESA-11 only nickle comes up. (i know im stupid and this is a stupid question ) Thanks. Also does spark plug wires differ in quality?

Edit: Also i already bought 4 AC DELCO spark plugs (41-627) a while back. My question is which one is better the NGK BKR5ESA-11 or AC DELCO 41-627. Thanks again.

Prince

Last edited by diplomat1; 01-03-2011 at 06:05 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help diplomat1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #6
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

It's a copper core plug. don't worry.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:26 PM   #7
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplomat1 View Post
Is it nickel or copper? Because when i look up BKR5ESA-11 only nickle comes up. (i know im stupid and this is a stupid question ) Thanks. Also does spark plug wires differ in quality?

Edit: Also i already bought 4 AC DELCO spark plugs (41-627) a while back. My question is which one is better the NGK BKR5ESA-11 or AC DELCO 41-627. Thanks again.
NGK are the OEM plugs, but AC Delcos work fine. I've also personally used Champions with no problems, just make sure they are coppers and gapped properly, and you should be good to go.

1996 SL2 5MT. 239KMs. Gone, but not forgotten.
2000 SW2 5MT. 133KMs. Gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:11 AM   #8
diplomat1

1994 SL2

I found the thermostat at a local pep boys same part number but this is what it says

188 DEG THERMOSTAT

* LIMITED ONE YEAR WARRANTY
* SEAL INCLUDED - OE TEMPERATURE

14279 STANT THERMOSTATS 1 $21.99

When i go into more detail it says this:

Part Number 14279
Type Regular Thermostat
Temperature 195 Degree F
Design Thermostat Kit
Jiggle Pin No
Number of Check Valves 0
Number of Seals 1

So is this the right thermostat even thou it says 188 Deg thermostat in the beginning. Thanks

Prince

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-04-2011, 05:39 AM   #9
1996SL11.9L
1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL1

thats it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996SL11.9L's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SL11.9L reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996SL11.9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:33 AM   #10
Baron5867
Advanced Member
Baron5867 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC1

Quote:
Also does spark plug wires differ in quality?
Yes, particularly if you maintain the car and pull them on & off the plugs.

I prefer the AC delco wires. I actually installed the Xact wires from Advance Auto in a rush when I purchased the car, and I wasn't impressed. I've installed the stant 14279 thermostat mentioned here. I've used NGK, AC-Delco and Autolite copper plugs, and noticed no difference; I usually just install the Autolites out of habit.

These items are best purchased off of RockAuto if shipping works out for you, particularly the AC Delco wires. You may want to order a couple of Wix oil filters as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Baron5867's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Baron5867 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Baron5867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:17 AM   #11
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

I have not used AC Delco wires myself (pulled some from JY for spares) but my Belden premiums (Napa) have been working well on my 96 for 35K KMs or so.

1996 SL2 5MT. 239KMs. Gone, but not forgotten.
2000 SW2 5MT. 133KMs. Gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:14 PM   #12
Frankd1
Frankd1 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL1

I have standard motor products (SMP) wires from Rock Auto - $15, so far they have been working good, I plan to change them though when I change the plugs..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Frankd1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Frankd1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Frankd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:31 AM   #13
1996SaturnSL2
1996SaturnSL2 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
I found the thermostat at a local pep boys same part number but this is what it says

188 DEG THERMOSTAT

* LIMITED ONE YEAR WARRANTY
* SEAL INCLUDED - OE TEMPERATURE

14279 STANT THERMOSTATS 1 $21.99

When i go into more detail it says this:

Part Number 14279
Type Regular Thermostat
Temperature 195 Degree F
Design Thermostat Kit
Jiggle Pin No
Number of Check Valves 0
Number of Seals 1

So is this the right thermostat even thou it says 188 Deg thermostat in the beginning. Thanks
I live near LA, lots of highway and heavy stop and go traffic. Would not a lower temperature (185 degree) thermostat open sooner, create less back pressure in the cooling system since the thermostat opens up sooner and also let your car run just a bit cooler? I am worried about blowing out my old radiator and water pump seals if I use a 195 degree thermostat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996SaturnSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SaturnSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996SaturnSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:56 PM   #14
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCraig View Post
NGK are the OEM plugs, but AC Delcos work fine. I've also personally used Champions with no problems, just make sure they are coppers and gapped properly, and you should be good to go.
Back when that '94 was built, AC Delco actually still produced their own plugs, and they shipped in many Saturns. NGK was but one of several OEM plug manufacturers, and I don't think they were ever the exclusive supplier for the OEM plugs.

It's one of the misconceptions often repeated on these forums, and was clarified by someone that works for NGK.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #15
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996SaturnSL2 View Post
I live near LA, lots of highway and heavy stop and go traffic. Would not a lower temperature (185 degree) thermostat open sooner, create less back pressure in the cooling system since the thermostat opens up sooner and also let your car run just a bit cooler? I am worried about blowing out my old radiator and water pump seals if I use a 195 degree thermostat.
I've seen more posts than I can count that state the cooler thermostats will destroy MPG, cause issues, etc. But our car shipped with a cooler thermostat from the factory and ran just fine with it. It actually got slightly better MPG with the cooler thermostat as well.

There may be units that run too cool, but personally I think a lot of it is paranoia. Our factory unit ran not much above 1/4 on the gauge (keep in mind earlier models like our '95 have a different gauge calibration) and never had issues. My personal opinion is that if I had to change thermostats again I would seek out the cooler one vs the warmer running unit that I replaced the OEM with.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote