SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
likedamaster
likedamaster is on a distinguished road

Default 2001 SC2 overheating problems

My 2001 Saturn SC2 is overheating and I've replaced the radiator, reservoir cap, thermostat, water pump, coolant temperature sensor, and coolant itself, and it still overheats(passed red). I can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.

I don't know if this was already posted or resolved, I tried looking into forums but found nothing pertaining to this year & model. Thanks.

I have half my hair ripped out of my head because of this issue. Its my only car right now.

Edit: I've also noticed the heater stops working when the car is overheating. Unusual, especially since that same hot coolant is running through the heater core, am I right?

Last edited by likedamaster; 01-03-2011 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: to add info

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to likedamaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help likedamaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
likedamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2001 SC2 overheating problems

Last two things to test or replace; the radiator cooling fan relay and/or the cooling fan (broke/worn out?).

Simple fan test; either pull the fan relay and jumper relay socket pins 30 and 87 to send 12v immediately to the fan or wire the fan directly to the battery. The fan should scream otherwise a dead or worn out fan is not cooling off the radiator. It would be rare to have wiring issues here. Maybe the fan is jammed? Swap relays with a similar (horn) relay to eliminate relay failure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
MiNiMaTiC
MiNiMaTiC is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

I have a 2001 SC2. One last idea if all previous suggestions don't help is to replace the idler pulley. I see you replaced the water pump, so maybe you already checked this.

My SC2 started to have this really bad sounding clunky/grindy type of noise coming from the engine. I thought my steering pump was the culprit since that was where the noise was coming from. As it turns out the idler pulley bearings were shot and one day on the way home it started to overheat because the sepentine belt was dragging (and broke).

It's an easy fix and not too expensive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MiNiMaTiC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MiNiMaTiC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MiNiMaTiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:24 PM   #4
likedamaster
likedamaster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiNiMaTiC View Post
I have a 2001 SC2. One last idea if all previous suggestions don't help is to replace the idler pulley. I see you replaced the water pump, so maybe you already checked this.

My SC2 started to have this really bad sounding clunky/grindy type of noise coming from the engine. I thought my steering pump was the culprit since that was where the noise was coming from. As it turns out the idler pulley bearings were shot and one day on the way home it started to overheat because the sepentine belt was dragging (and broke).

It's an easy fix and not too expensive.
Interesting... I AM getting that noise, thanks for that.

My problem did got resolved tonight though(thank God). I noticed the heater was not working. It blew air but not hot air while the car was overheating so I connected the two hoses together bypassing the heater core and it stopped overheating. I can't believe something like a heater core can not only kill your heater but make the whole car overheat. Ridiculous.

Edit: I had the fan replaced a few years ago when it crapped out on me, and it has been working till now so that wasn't it.

Btw, thanks everyone for responding. Problem solved = Heater Core.

Edit 2: Before resolving my issue, the car overheated to the red -- not only passed mid level. My situation is proof, a bad heater core can cause severe overheating issues. Thanks again everyone.

Last edited by likedamaster; 01-03-2011 at 09:29 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to likedamaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help likedamaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
likedamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #5
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by likedamaster View Post
Interesting... I AM getting that noise, thanks for that.

My problem did got resolved tonight though(thank God). I noticed the heater was not working. It blew air but not hot air while the car was overheating so I connected the two hoses together bypassing the heater core and it stopped overheating. I can't believe something like a heater core can not only kill your heater but make the whole car overheat. Ridiculous.

Edit: I had the fan replaced a few years ago when it crapped out on me, and it has been working till now so that wasn't it.

Btw, thanks everyone for responding. Problem solved = Heater Core.

Edit 2: Before resolving my issue, the car overheated to the red -- not only passed mid level. My situation is proof, a bad heater core can cause severe overheating issues. Thanks again everyone.
As the heater core is part of your cooling system, it too can get gunked, the same way everything else in your cooling system does: with rust, dirt, bad coolant, oil in the coolant, stop leak products, etc.

Thankfully, heater core replacement in an S-series is pretty simple (in fact I got halfway through mine till I gave up due to my vice grip not gripping on those squeeze-type hose clamps), and it's in a panel right underneath where the radio is. There is a how-to right here: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=150968

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

Last edited by adventureoflink; 01-03-2011 at 09:56 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:47 PM   #6
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Well that's got to be a first? And, I'll be... Yup, checked the diagnostic manual and it lists one of the causes of overheating as the HC! Good to hear you stumbled upon the solution. Mental note: file this one..

You don't list a location in your profile so maybe a heater isn't priority but.. Since you've already removed the firewall connections (usually the hardest part). Have you tried back flushing the HC to see if there's any flow? If not, as Link posted the link (hah!) to Shawn's thread, it's only ~$47 for a new core and relatively easy to replace in an hour or so.

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:03 AM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

If the heater core becomes totally blocked then you will probably overheat and will definitely overheat if the thermostat is seating tightly. The water that leaves the head and returns to the pump suction by way of the heater core is directed onto the temperature control element of the thermostat. No flow and the thermostat will not open. The other flow path from the head channel is a short cycle path and will not be warm enough to result in opening either.

Careful perusal of the cooling system diagram and reading of the accompanying operational description will make this phenomena clear. The diagram is in my photo gallery.

The Saturn cooling system is not like the cooling system in your father's Oldsmobile.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
redwolf4k
redwolf4k will become famous soon enoughredwolf4k will become famous soon enough

I'm reviving this old thread.

I had the same problem, a 2002 SL2 would not give out heat in the cabin, no heater core leak, but it must have been clogged. All of a sudden the car's operating temp would spike a bit and return throughout driving. Sure enough, the heater core is clogged, and the core's outlet hose is bone dry.

Replacing the core should do the trick, and stop the overheating as well.

I didn't bother to back-flush the old core, as I find this is usually a temporary fix, or the results are mixed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to redwolf4k's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help redwolf4k reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
redwolf4k is offline   Reply With Quote