SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #161
PSTECH
PSTECH is on a distinguished road

1998 SL1
1997 SW1
Thumbs Up Re: Goodbye Saturn: Thanks for the Ride (1985-2010)

I haven't browsed this forum for a long time, but I still have my 1999 SL1 5 spd which I bought in June 2008. That was to replace my 1998 which was totalled in my driveway (but still driveable), and about a year ago I finally junked my 1997 SW1 which was also totalled in my driveway but I kept it and patched up the damage and it was still a sweet (although ugly) ride.

I'm really disappointed that GM dropped the Saturn line, and I also didn't like Barack Obama's comments about the car as being one that American people didn't want to buy. But, frankly, since about 2000, they focused too much on more horsepower and to hell with fuel economy. So, in a way, they shot themselves in the foot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PSTECH's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PSTECH reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PSTECH is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #162
cdh1962
cdh1962 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
Heart Re: Goodbye Saturn: Thanks for the Ride (1985-2010)

I bought my first Saturn only 6 years ago, when I went to a Hertz Sales Lot. I was going to buy a different car over my budget when I accidentally saw-in the bathroom, no less-an ad for a Saturn SL2.

220,000 miles, and only $750 in dealer repairs later, I STILL get 31+ MPG, and I will do everything in my power to keep this car running until I get to 1 million miles! It has been a FANTASTIC car, and would've bought nothing but from here on out.

Thank you Saturn for making me a late convert, and I wish it would've continued.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdh1962's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdh1962 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdh1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #163
fellinigirl
fellinigirl is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Goodbye Saturn: Thanks for the Ride (1985-2010)

My 2000 Saturn LS died in the street at 71000 miles. I had it hauled off to a charity . I was told that the timing belt broke--$1400--to repair.. and that
the engine ...which the mechanic said was an interference engine....??? cannot remember what he meant engine would have to be replaced for $5000. Naturally, I am not crazy and so dumped the car.

I just hope that the mechanic with whom I have built up trust in was not
b.s.ing me--Anyway--the auction house took the car away so I will never really know.

How is is possible that the Saturn died at such a young age when alot of people on the posts get 100,000 and more out of their Saturns.

I am now the proud owner of a 2011 Honda Accord. It is a no brainer to
guess that I would never buy a Saturn again whether in business or not.

Any thoughts as to my tale of Saturn woes?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fellinigirl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fellinigirl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fellinigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:20 PM   #164
fellinigirl
fellinigirl is on a distinguished road

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My 2000 Saturn LS died in the street at 71000 miles. I had it hauled off to a charity . I was told that the timing belt broke--$1400--to repair.. and that
the engine ...which the mechanic said was an interference engine....??? cannot remember what he meant engine would have to be replaced for $5000. Naturally, I am not crazy and so dumped the car.

I just hope that the mechanic with whom I have built up trust in was not
b.s.ing me--Anyway--the auction house took the car away so I will never really know.

How is is possible that the Saturn died at such a young age when alot of people on the posts get 100,000 and more out of their Saturns.

I am now the proud owner of a 2011 Honda Accord. It is a no brainer to
guess that I would never buy a Saturn again whether in business or not.

Any thoughts as to my tale of Saturn woes?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fellinigirl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fellinigirl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fellinigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:31 PM   #165
jhayes
jhayes is on a distinguished road

Roll Eyes Re: Goodbye Saturn: Thanks for the Ride (1985-2010)

Thanks for such a great web site.I,m not here a lot but I pass through from time to time.Saturn is a different kind of car that's what made is such a great car and company,if only GM would have just kept their hand away from it we would still have them.I own three a 95 sl2 and a 95 sl1 and the best of all a 94 homecoming edition.I hope the site will stay and keep giving us loyal saturn owners a great place to come and get a down to earth answer to our crazy saturn question's. Check your oil and treat them right and they will return the favor.Gas is over 3 bucks a gallon how many cars out there can you fill up for 25 bucks at those prices.Thanks for the write up and all the hard work and time.
95 sl2
95 sl1
94 sl2 homecoming edition

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jhayes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jhayes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:11 AM   #166
NWSW
NWSW is on a distinguished road

1996 SW2
1995 SW1

I have had many (10+) various SL SW Saturns and have been a lurker here for years. Thanks to your site, and contributions by Low Saturn, Madpogue, OldNuc and the many others in the SL Tech area, have become fairly competent at maintaining, repairing and restoring them. All three of my kids have driven them, and I "borrow" one whenever I don't want to feed the 3/4 ton Diesels we run. I have also had a few GMC Motorhomes, which were also one of GM's better ideas that were ahead of their time. Although the GMC MH time is way past, the GMC MH sites and enthusiasts keep the brand alive, and I hope it is the same with Saturn. Makes me really wonder what is up at GM, they have two very successful and innovative offshoots, and they killed them both
There was quite a bit of talk about a restart for the GMC motorhomes, but that never happened and the best you can do is go down to the GMC Co-op in Florida and let Jim Bounds restore one with today's technology. I talked a co-worker into a brand new Outlook and he is loving it! But he already has 50k on it and is wondering what could his next one be. He would love another Saturn, but GM isn't allowing any of that

95 SW1
97 SW2
Parted, repaired sold several others

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NWSW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NWSW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NWSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:31 AM   #167
Vue_Kzoo
Vue_Kzoo is on a distinguished road

Charlie,

I am really enjoying reading all of the stories. Thanks for maintaining the plethora of information that we devout Saturn owners are going to need in the future as our orphans age into seniors.

I have been a Saturn fan for a long time. I had a girlfriend in high school whose parents had leased her a new 1993 SC2 5 speed. That car was great. Quiet and fast. I remember maxing out the speedometer one night, 120+, fun car!! I still remember the day they brought it home and what a kick they got out of the picture the dealership gave them. It was a picture of the saleswoman handing over the keys to the car. Her parents always spoke very high of the treatment at the dealership and I guess that stuck with me. It took me 12 years, but I finally purchased my first Saturn, a 2005 Vue. I love it and plan to keep it as long as I can. I even converted my VW loving wife to Saturn. The 2008 Astra we bought her was an easy and painless transition from her Beetle.

I will miss the service from our Saturn dealership. They were great. The new GM dealership is "ok", but when you are used to great and then are forced to accept "ok," it's going to take some getting used to.

I'm going to miss you Saturn and i'm clueless as to what i'll do in the future when it's time to replace you. Luckily, that will be many years from now.

2005 Vue 3.5 FWD - 55K
2008 Astra - 16K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vue_Kzoo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vue_Kzoo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vue_Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:40 AM   #168
Tardy The Turtl
Tardy The Turtl is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

I drive a 1999 sl2, and I love it. It's the only car my family has bought new, and they had such a good experience that 11 years later they've been buying from the same dealer ever since. My mom loves driving around in her big comfortable Relay and my dad has put 120,000 miles on his Vue in about 2 years (He's a courier) and I've battled tirelessly and researched late into the night keeping mine as functional as I can. And I hope to keep it around as long as I can, because obviously finding another one will only get harder. Oh well, as long as this site is up, I'll be searching it for 'How to make it run again' threads =P Hope everybody had a good holiday, and merry posting!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tardy The Turtl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tardy The Turtl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tardy The Turtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:08 AM   #169
Loaysart
Loaysart is on a distinguished road

I learned about Saturn in 1983, when my brother, who worked at General Motors at the time, told my dad and I about the new car company. At the time it sounded like it would be a good car, little did I know when I did a report in one of my College Business courses that I would soon decide that would be the car for me. It wasn't until 1998 I was given the money to buy a 1994 SL, intro model from the very first Saturn car lots in the United States in El Cajon, Ca. They didn't have one at that car lot in my price range; however, that had one at their other lot in Kearny Mesa, Ca. I didn't know that it would be a manual and I would have to learn to drive the car. I learned in less that two weeks how to drive my manual. That car bit the dust when it was totaled six months after my son was rear ended in the same car. If he was driving any other car he would not have survived that accident. I do have now a 1994 SL2 that I bought for $2,000 off the lot. I have since replaced the engine with another and with the help of this forum, fixed several other issues. My car has been, at times the only one running in my family. The body may not look good, but the engine runs and the tranny shifts rough; however, I can't complain. I think General Motors made a mistake when the got rid of the S-series line and changed the engines. Everything that I have changed on my car has been ORIGINAL Parts. I will keep my Saturn going as long as possible because their isn't another car that I would like to own. Good Bye Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Loaysart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Loaysart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Loaysart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:19 AM   #170
kalilee
kalilee is on a distinguished road

Currently drive a 2005 Dragonfly Green Saturn Vue with 30,000 miles, it is my third Saturn. Even my daughter has purchased two Saturns for herself. I was never loyal to a brand until Saturn came along. They made it so painless to buy and maintain a car - from the salesperson in the showroom to the workers who fixed my vehicle - all super pleasant to deal with and extremely knowledgeable about their product. It was one of the top reasons why I was a repeat customer. The cars were reliable and low cost to maintain. I love my dent free doors, great gas mileage, and the overall look of my vehicle. I am sooo sad to see them go. If they had continued to be in business, they would have had a very loyal customer for many more years. Goodbye Saturn, I will miss you, and I am hoping that my current Saturn lasts for many more years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kalilee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kalilee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kalilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:28 AM   #171
mlt01SC2
mlt01SC2 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

I first heard of Saturn when they were looking for a piece of land to build. It was going to be in my hometown of Findlay, Ohio. It was so close to being the spot, that a local school put in the "possible" revenue in to the budget. I probably would have been an owner sooner if I could have worked and/or purchased a product from my hometown.

So, I bought my first, a Blackberry 2001 SC2. I have loved the car since. Even though the pains of repairs such as tranny and engine replacement, it gave me an opportunity to be the shadtree mech I always wanted to be. I never replaced anything more than brakes or an alternater or three. This car and this site gave me the 'opportunity' and confidence to do it all on my own. A complete engine swap, neighbors and family were impressed that I tackled it without fear...I simplly explained that this site as well as a couiple others have folks like you Charlie who have loved and devoted their time to help us fledgling mechanic wannabe's to have stories to tell of a car we loved to drive as well as enjoy tuning, maintaining and just driving a true American car.

I drove past the old Dealership in Findlay, Ohio Saturday...sad, they are remodeling it into some other business...sad...

Thanks, God bless you and your family, as well as our family of brothers and sisters in Saturn.

Matt in Ohio.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mlt01SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mlt01SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mlt01SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:59 AM   #172
tcotrel
tcotrel is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan
Checkered Flag Re: Goodbye Saturn: Thanks for the Ride (1985-2010)

I bought my 1991 SL1 in November of 1990 and after 240,000 miles I bought my 2003 ION2. The SL1 was a fine car, the ION an improvement in every way. She now has over 190,000 miles.

SaturnFans was a great resource to me to keeping my SL1 going strong. And I like bragging about both of my Satties here, as well.

It was too good to be true. I want to think that lessons learned from Saturn will help GM overall.

Thank you for your work on this site.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tcotrel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tcotrel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tcotrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:50 AM   #173
KAikens318
KAikens318 is on a distinguished road

Sad Re: Goodbye Saturn: Thanks for the Ride (1985-2010)

I have owned a Saturn car straight through since 2002. My first Saturn was an SC2 coupe, purple, manual transmission, suicide doors. She sucked down oil like there was no tomorrow, the engine seized, but I still loved her. I was in a very heavy snowstorm on a highway that was not well plowed. A tractor trailer driver who thought he was king of the road blew by me and started swerving. I had to swerve to avoid being crushed by him and ended up nose down off the side of the highway. I did not get one scratch on me thanks to my car.

My husband and I bought an SL2 sedan in 2007 from someone on Craigslist for $600. It lasted an entire year, was a beast in the snow, and got us from point A to point B with no problems whatsoever until we hit about the year mark.

Just last year we again bought a Saturn from someone on Craigslist, $1500, manual transmission, 1997 SC2 Coupe, leather seats, power everything, sunroof. We love it. The previous owner had slightly pimped it out so it's pretty sick, tinted windows, nice rims, chrome exhaust, cold air intake. I drive the car whenever I get a chance.

There is nothing like the feel of shifting and turning a tight corner in that little coupe. They handle so well.

I was so extremely disappointed when they announced that Saturn was one of the car dealers to be shutting down. I have always wanted a Saturn Ion redline and a Sky, but now I may not get that chance because of the horrible economy and GM making a bad choice. There are so many Saturns on the road today because they are incredible cars and yet they were still taken out because they were not imported.

Thank you Saturn for all you have done for me. You trained your associates to be courteous, helpful, and never pushy. Your prices were very affordable. Your cars were safe. Your cars were fun to drive.

We will never forget the Saturn brand, and who knows, maybe some day they will be back.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KAikens318's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KAikens318 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KAikens318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:40 AM   #174
captsam
captsam is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
1996 SL2

I still have a '92 SL1, a '96 SL2, and a '97 SW2. I'll drive them 'til they don't drive any more. I suspect, even after these three are gone, I might be able to find a low mileage third generation S Series car out there somewhere for me to fix up and drive. ^_^

I'll stick around here at the forums, as long as Charlie keeps it.

Thanks again to all the members of this forum.

Sam

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to captsam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help captsam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
captsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:00 AM   #175
angelsea
angelsea is on a distinguished road

1996 SW2

I purchased my little Saturn last year in March, 2010.
Finding this site was like finding gold.
The information has been a great resource for me.
When I needed help with my rear door light issue, I got the answers I needed and a fix was found.
I hope the site will remain on-line and those who know all about our "Saturns" can keep us on the right track.
Thank you, Charlie!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to angelsea's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help angelsea reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
angelsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #176
SSGX
SSGX is on a distinguished road

Though this is my frst (and likely only) post around here (well, there may be one or two "Thanks for the info!" posts under my belt), I feel that this is a nice time to share.

Full disclosure: I'm not an enthusiast. I can't really in good conscience call myself a Saturn "Fan" (especially here amongst you fine, dedicated folk). We've only owned our burgundy 2001 SL1 since we bought it used in 2004 (out of a local Chevy/Buick dealership's flock of trade-ins) I've never been to a Saturn dealership, or even dealt with one for repairs. And we didn't research or specifically decide on buying a Saturn; this car was more or less an "impulse" purchase. We went looking for a decent used car (with a decent price) and my wife (actually, we weren't even married yet, then) simply liked this one the best out of the few we had so far seen, and she had to have it.

In fact, the only reason I'm a "member" of this community is that I stumbled onto it looking for repair instructions/engine schematics/how-tos, etc. for one of the handful of issues the car has had since coming into my possession. I think the first one was for rough idling caused by a kink in the intake manifold gasket around cylinder 1 due to a flaw in the installation process for this particular model year (all facts I learned here, along with all of the knowledge I needed to replace said gasket myself; which, aside from oil changes, brake jobs, and other minor maintenance was my first true foray into working on a car)

This little car has since had its share of other issues, many of which I've come here for information on, and to get repair instructions/tips. I've never been let down by these forums, or any of the very knowledgeable and helpful people lurking in them (especially those in the S-Series tech forum... Richpin's videos have come in handy on more than one occasion) In fact, the latest repair (a leaky water pump replacement just a few weeks ago) went off fairly hitch-free, thanks to info, tips, and a video found here.

So a very huge Thank You goes out to not only to Charlie, but to everyone here that fills this community with such amazing and detailed information and support.

As for the car...

About 7 years have passed since we got it, and it's been paid off for the last 3 (we got it for around $9k). We rely on it as our only car, and it's now pushing 200k miles (not sure exactly where it's currently at, though). And, even though it's had its fair share of problems (in addition to the above mentioned things, and the usual wear-and-tear issues from a 10-year old car, we've also had to replace the ignition cylinder, twice, due to it locking completely up; which is apparently another well-known issue), it's been incredibly reliable. I'm definitely not the best at routine maintenance (it's currently very long overdue for an oil change, for instance), but the little guy just keeps chugging along (actually very well, considering just how neglected it is).

We've taken it on out-of-state trips, been through an accident in it (t-boned a guy who ran a red-light; luckily, our light had just turned green, so we weren't at speed), and driven it virtually every day of the week for 7 years, all the while not really taking good care of it, yet the thing still runs reliably enough that we haven't had to purchase another car. In fact, we're only now considering getting another vehicle because we've since expanded our family by two kids (both of which were driven home in the thing) and a little 4-door sedan is feeling a little cramped.

So, actually, I guess in the end, I AM a Saturn Fan!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SSGX's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SSGX reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SSGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:30 AM   #177
markmacallister
markmacallister is on a distinguished road

My 1998 SW2 was such a big part of my life. I bought the car the day after my daughter was born, and the three of us put 250K trouble-free miles on it. The car finally gave up the ghost over Memorial Day 2010 just as my daughter entered high school. A great vehicle, a great company, and both will be missed around my house.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to markmacallister's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help markmacallister reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
markmacallister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:06 AM   #178
ttreibel
Advanced Member
ttreibel is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2002 SL1

Thanks Charlie for all your hard work over the years. Since my first Saturn purchase back in 1998, I always had a sinking feeling that GM was going to destroy Saturn. With our 2002 purchase I could already see how GM had started to cheapen Saturns line forcing more products on them. The 2006 Ion is going strong but I have found many Chinese made parts on the car that came from the factory and also at the parts department....that leaves a real bad taste in my mouth.

Sorry GM may never own another car from you. As far as Saturn I will probably always keep one in the family. One thing is for sure a good one will keep getting harder and harder to find!!!

1995 SL1 oil burner school commuter looks nice...1997 SL1 Gold 5-speed with new junk yard wheels and tires just got 40.4 MPG....2002 SL1 sometimes 45 MPG on a spring highway drive

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ttreibel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ttreibel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ttreibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:37 AM   #179
GammaVen
GammaVen is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-1 Sedan
1998 SL2
Question Re: Goodbye Saturn: Thanks for the Ride (1985-2010)

Like so many others I'm sad to see the Saturn badge die. I currently have an 2004 Ion w/260K on it and still running strong w/$25 in repairs in 4 years. My wife has an Astra and my daughter a 2009 Vue. There was some mis-management in those middle years. The jelly bean car (96-02) wasn't much of a follow-up to the original, we lost the original momentum. What could have been was a really great car with a cult following. Instead GM invested its millions in Hummer. I hope they learned their lesson. America wants and needs kool cars that are quality build at home. This was a missed opportunity. George

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GammaVen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GammaVen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GammaVen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:51 AM   #180
sallydriver
sallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to all

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

What a well written article. I too have a long history with Saturn, having grown up with the brand. Our little SL2 has been in numerous minor wrecks and only went to the body shop once (for a loose mirror). I could see these little cars being in the "Classic" section of many a car magazine in years to come if we keep advertising how much we all love our little Saturns.

Good-bye, Saturn.

We won't forget you.

2014 Cannondale 27spd 29": 30 miles
1999 Forest Green SL2 5spd "Sally" 5spd : 307,100+ miles
1993 White SW2 5spd "Steve" 5spd : 234,984 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sallydriver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sallydriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sallydriver is offline   Reply With Quote