SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2011, 12:06 PM   #101
Rick Tinley Par
Rick Tinley Par is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Goodbye Saturn: Thanks for the Ride (1985-2010)

As an owner of 2 Saturns now and a total of 4 overall I have to say the blend of car and dealer were great here in Tinley Park. I have a 97 SC2 that will most likely be retired at the end of next winter (2012). It has driven me for all these years with just the basic maintenance -- and even some longer than recommended frequencies than recommended. I bet the new owner will get years of use as well.
My Sky roadster will be kept, hopefully passed on and driven for decades into the future to show what a car company CAN do and the epitome of what we will miss. Inovation, quality and lots of fun

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rick Tinley Par's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rick Tinley Par reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rick Tinley Par is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2011, 12:13 PM   #102
gusr19
gusr19 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
2000 SL2

I started with an SL-2 coming right off of the delivery transporter back in 1991 and have driven a Saturn as my main vehicle ever since ... I have had a few SL-2s, an L300 (2004) and now a Vue (V6 2006). We have a 2000 SL-2 in the garage that was my daughters to use, but she has moved away and I am not sure how to guarantee it goes to a good home (it is too small for my son and wife, who prefer or need larger vehicles) :-( The Vue should be up for replacement at this point, but with no more Saturns what is there to buy ???

I have taken the Vue to a local "approved" Chevy dealer and I do not think I would trust them with any major work on something like the Honda engine and transmission. They are just too different to anything GM makes :-( Maybe the local Honda dealer will take care of ATF changes for me, I don't want Dexron III/VI where Z1 (or DW-1) should be ?

As a supplier I had visited the Saturn R&D centre near Detroit, but not located on any of the main GM sites. It was certainly different, a more relaxed atmosphere and the suppliers were treated more as part of the team, quite different to other places at the time. We knew that once that R&D centre was folded into "Small and Midsize Car Division" it was the beginning of the end of the differences that made Saturn attractive :-(

My local dealer was among the first to close, I didn't even get to go back and say goodbye before it did, with no announcements :-( I miss those guys, particularly in service, as I had known at least one of them since buying my 1991 vehicle :-(

So what's my next vehicle to be ? Who knows :-(

"So long and thanks for all the fish" Saturn :-(

JimE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gusr19's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gusr19 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gusr19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:14 PM   #103
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

This is a dark day. But I predict that Saturn and it's owners and fans will engender the sort of affection that Studebaker still has, as well as all the other lost marques. Your efforts here are far from over.

Two things are clear:The first that all companies should have been run like Saturn. Amazing that treating a customer as a valued part of the transaction would be a "radical" idea that needed to be stifled.
The Saturn philosophy was simply common sense.

Second: Charlie you showed how to run and moderate a web site the way it should be done, in an adult informative and temperate way without all the flaming, trolling, f-bombs and crap that goes on on so many others.

As well: if you have to move to asking for donations to keep the site running, count me in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #104
1998saturnsl2
1998saturnsl2 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

I gotta say I too am hurt that our lovely Saturn is gone.
I've been driving my 1998 Saturn SL2 with mods for about 4 years now and she's never given me any problems.
It's a 5 speed manual and I tell you....she sees redline atleast once a day & keeps on chugging with a big old smile...she starts better & better every single time.

They may not be the fastest cars, the sportiest cars, or the best looking cars...but they sure are an all around AMAZING car & one in which I've been honored to keep in my driveway for 4 years...and many more to come.

Thankyou saturn, for building an amazing line of vehicles. We love ya <3
Sincerely yours,
Anthony Sardegna - The Honored Saturn Owner.

Eh...don't worry about it...It's a saturn :]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1998saturnsl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1998saturnsl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1998saturnsl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #105
ericb45696
ericb45696 is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-1 Sedan

my check engine light still comes on from time to time,haha. oops. wrong thread.

Much Thanks to Charlie for starting and running this site and the articles and time given freely to all of us.
My Saturn is the first car of many I've owned that I was passionate enough about to find this site and read and ask questions and learn more about my car than I probably wanted to know. I'm hoping to make my Saturn last several more years.
and thank you to all you members out there.

now, if I can just get this key out of the ignition.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ericb45696's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ericb45696 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ericb45696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:30 PM   #106
saturn31
saturn31 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1
1999 SL2

I didn't become a Saturn fan til they were just about finished. But, I love them, I race them, i rebuild them for extra cash and I love the people on this site that you can always ask questions of.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU , for getting this started.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn31's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn31 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:30 PM   #107
silverhunter
silverhunter is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
Dizzy Re: Goodbye Saturn: Thanks for the Ride (1985-2010)

R.I.P. Saturn... As a former employee of Saturn and a proud owner of a SL1 (120k and running great) it is sad to see the brand disappear. A great company with cheap and reliable vehicles is lost to the almighty bottom-line.

This website is a great resource to Saturn owners and I hope it will continue on for years to come.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silverhunter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silverhunter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silverhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #108
jacoba
jacoba is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Well...where do I start. Up in Canada, Saturn Canada was a division of General Motors of Canada Ltd.. That didn't mean a thing when it came to the whole Saturn Sales & Service philosophies however...we were Saturn...through and through.

In 1989, I became the Service Manager in a company that was awarded a Saturn franchise. On October 4th, 1991, we sold our first Saturn and thus the story began in little old Regina, Saskatchewan. I felt privledged when I drove that first car from the railyard...the very first Saturn sold in Saskatchewan. We never looked back.

Through the years, our 'Saturn of Regina' grew to be one of the best retailers in Canada. We were consistenly in the top 5, of 75 stores, in Customer Service Satisfaction. We led all retail facilities in Used Car Sales and were always in the top 10 in New Sales. This record led to us being nominated for the coveted Laureate Award through the CADA (Canadian Automobile Dealers Association). We could not win it, however, because we became disenfranchised at the end on 2009.

On January 4th, 2010 we opened as an independant used car dealer, leveraging the strength of our past Saturn Pre-Owned sales performance, and as a Car Care Centre. We named our new store Titan Automotive Group after the largest moon of Saturn. Our logo is a morph of the Saturn gliph and we are proud to wear it on our uniforms.

We are very fortunate to have retained most of our Saturn customers and have added about 1700 new ones, being now independant. Our Sales Department is doing well and we are recovering.

I just want to say that Saturn was a company and a philosophy that people wanted. I think it's fair to say that now that it's gone, a lot of people who didn't like Saturn...like it now, if for no other reason than for what GM did to it.

I know how poor the GM dealers deal with service...and yes...you would think that GM would learn from the example and success in customer service that Saturn brought to the table. Just remember...GM hasn't learned a thing from their past mistakes. The only thing that they have learned, is that when they get themselves into financial troubles again...they know that the governments will once again bail them out. GM cannot learn new things because they are so full of themsleves.

Anyway, thank you to all of you for making this forum so great and entertaining. I will miss you all...like I miss Saturn. Take care and God Bless you all.

Allan Jacobs
(former Service Team Leader)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jacoba's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jacoba reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jacoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #109
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

BTW: Charlie: please take your writing talents to some of the other web sites. You've got the credentials and the knowledge and the talent. It's okay to use those skills reporting on other cars than Saturns. A clear headed straightforward editorial or car review is always appreciated. Don't waste those gifts.

Besides: this electronic engineering thing..... it's just a fad. You'll need something serious to fall back on when it passes.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #110
haggis30
haggis30 is on a distinguished road

I purchased a 2008 Saturn Astra in 2008 and i just recently got rid of it. It was the worst car I have ever owned, it gave me problems rite from the start, sensors, cracked AC compressor, it was constantly is the shop for repairs, thank goodness I purchased the extended warranty. I'm not sad that Saturn is gone but I am sad that GM continues to produce ****ty vehicles.

goodbye Saturn, hello Honda

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to haggis30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help haggis30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
haggis30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:32 PM   #111
blayer21
blayer21 is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
1995 SC2

What a sad day! We still have a '95 SC2 in the family and we'll keep it until it drops! I knew the day GM sucked them up it was the beginning of the end.

Really too bad. Hopefully we'll see some new ideas come about in the coming years.

Bryan in Dayton, Ohio.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blayer21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blayer21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blayer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:38 PM   #112
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Thumbs Up Re: Goodbye Saturn: Thanks for the Ride (1985-2010)

I was responder #2 to this thread, but as I received a message back from Charlie (and presume others have as well) asking for stories, I thought I would share a couple of thoughts.

I have long been interested in Saturns. We attend a regional auto show as part of our Thanksgiving Day family tradition (long story). Our son and I have been particularly fond of Saturn sports coupes since the mid 1990's. However, we as a rule buy cars for the very long term so opportunities to purchase different ones come rather infrequently.

When that opportunity arose a while back, I purchased my SC2. We always buy used cars (another long story), so naturally it was purchased used as well. I bought it knowing full well that it needed a lot of work. But as my moniker implies, no problem, game on.

I did not discover SaturnFans for a few months after and had been making repairs on my own until I came across an issue that just defied logic (and Haynes). As a result and not wanting to waste time and money simply "shotgunning" the repair, I joined this forum to ask if anyone had suggestions.

Many very prompt and kind repsonses later, the issue turned out to be something completely different from any suggestion in the end, but no matter. The community response was totally refreshing. It was obvious to me that people really love these cars.

It also became obvious that people personalize these cars to a great extent. That plays well within our family who have a history of doing these sorts of things. I have tried to share things I have done and am delighted with the "mods" sub-forum. It is wonderful to see what people have done.

Despite the issues I have had with my SC2, and the time and money invested in it, I simply love it. GM did a huge dis-service to the Saturn community and to America in their treatment of Saturn, loyal Saturn customers, and Saturn employees. Perhaps they have learned something, I'd like to hope so, but probably not. I am waiting to see if (and how badly) they screw up the Volt, or if they ever actually produce them in numbers. We will see.

If it was not for this forum, graciously provided and hosted by Charlie, I think I might have given up on my SC2 a while back, but this is a wonderful community to belong to.

Thank you again Charlie, and thanks to everyone who contributes and participates in this continuing great adventure.

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:45 PM   #113
drejr842
drejr842 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line
1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsaturn View Post
I said goodbye to Saturn in June 2010 when I sold my '97 SL1 and moved from Long Island, NY to Incline Village, NV. Fell in love with an older girl named Volkswagen and never looked back.

She (Saturn) was my first and I will never forget her. Good times...

Signing off,
-bjWagon

PS. Thanks to everyone contributed to the site, it sure saved me a bundle. Thanks to the Saturn car experts and the die hard Saturn fans who were so knowledgeable and helpful!!
After 17 years as a technician with Saturn, I am now "retired". I've owned several Saturns over the years and will soon be selling my 1994 SL2, the only Saturn I now have left. I too found solace in the purchase of a Volkswagen, a2010 Golf TDI, last May. This is my first Non-GM purchase and first foreign car I've ever owned. However, I've often admired the similar way VW owners have endeared to their vehicles and in some ways it captures the essence of Saturn ownership. I've had a few other VW owners beep and wave to me already. I will never forgive GM for the damage done, nor will I ever buy another GM product. Had GM embraced the Saturn Way, they could have truly dominated the auto industry on global scale. Instead, GM is the embarassment of American capitalism, and Saturn owners are left to drive on the boulevard of broken dreams.

Den

Saturn Technician from 1992 - 2009

2010 volkswagen Golf TDI

1994 Saturn SL2 -- Sold 1/11 after 11 years of ownership.

2006 Saturn Vue Redline -- Traded 5/10 for my new VW.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to drejr842's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help drejr842 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
drejr842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #114
eelfliw
eelfliw is on a distinguished road

2009 Outlook XE
2002 SL

A sincere and heartfelt thanks goes out to Charlie for putting up and maintaining this site.

I'm on my 4th Saturn right now. The first 3 were Saturn SL's. I needed something inexpensive and reliable to get me to and from work those years. There was no car better than the SL. I put 200K on each of the cars and then sell it off cheap. The people whom I sold the cars to are still thanking me today for selling the SL's to them because it is saving them a bundle on gas and repairs compared to their previous cars.

Now that I had moved and take the subway to work, I drive a much more comfortable Outlook on weekends. After almost 2 years of ownership experience, I think the Outlook can be just as reliable as the SL - though not as inexpensive to drive. Since I don't drive the Outlook much, I think I will keep it around for a while, and give it to my daughter when she gets her driver's license - she's learning how to walk now and loves the rattle of the car keys.

I've used this site may times over the years to help me with various ownership issues. From researching the next car purchase (I always ended up buying Saturn again) to troubleshooting strange problems. The helpfulness and friendliness of the folks here is what keeps me buying Saturns time over time. And this wouldn't have been possible if Charlie hadn't put his time and effort into this site. Please keep it up.

When I'm ready for my next car purchase, I know I won't be using this site for research again. But you never know, may be electric cars will be a viable reality by then and some previous unknown Chinese car maker is dominating the market, may be Lexus will go the way of Yugo, may be BMW will have to lay off workers and declare bankruptcy to stay alive, may be GM will consider a new brand called Uranus, and may be I'll go from a Saturn owner to a Ferrari owner.

Last edited by eelfliw; 01-03-2011 at 12:58 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eelfliw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eelfliw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eelfliw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #115
Bapa
Bapa is on a distinguished road

I have to add, I agree. Saturn was more than just another GM clonemobile. Saturns were unique, both from a technological and philosophical standpoint. Many years ago my wife & I had a 2 stroke SAAB 96. My Saturn Vue reminded me of that car. Never mind convention: this is a better way, let's do this. Safety, durability, quality, fun to drive, & etc. My Saturn is a modern day regeneration of the virtues I loved in my SAAB. I have almost 119000 miles on my Saturn Vue. It is practical, versatile, safe, and fun to drive. I love cars, and enjoy looking at cars. I haven't found anything I like as well as my Vue. Frankly, I don't see anything, even imported or American that compares, let alone surpasses my Saturn. That includes the Equinox and Terrain, which are both based on the Vue. Saturn's decline began when they started being Chevy-clones. I'll miss Saturn. I intend to keep mine till the wheels fall off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bapa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bapa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #116
blade
blade is on a distinguished road

Good article well done Charlie

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blade's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blade reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #117
WLKVUE
WLKVUE is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

My 2006 VUE just recently turned 100,000 miles. I had the timing belt, water pump, etc changed and the valve lash checked/adjusted by a local mechanic who I talked with before he did the work to make sure that he understood I knew what I wanted done. I even loaned him my official Saturn repair manuals to make sure that he knew everything he needed to know. Ask a GM dealership to let you spend 15 minutes with the person who is going to work on your vehicle and see what happens. Next I am going to replace the front struts, lower ball joints, tie rod ends, etc, myself. All those parts are original and the VUE has never had or needed a front end alignment, it still tracks true straight down the middle of the lane. And, I still get 26 mpg on the interstate with the Honda V6 with the cruise control set on 70. The only exterior blemishes are a few scrathes on the rear bumper from inconsiderate people in parking lots and few rock chips in the winshield. I plan on keeping it as long as I can replace parts. I don't think that I have owned a more reliable vehicle or one that has stood up to 100,000 miles any better. By the way, is GM going to start selling all their cars with no spare tire, just a bottle of tire sealant like the Cruze?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WLKVUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WLKVUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WLKVUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:11 PM   #118
tekwyzrd
tekwyzrd is on a distinguished road

To put it bluntly, GM is run by idiots. The executives hop company to company, making their millions. Look at Bob Lutz, who guided Exide into bankruptcy. Edward Whitacre did the same for GM. Then there's the current CEO, Daniel Akerson. Managing Director of The Carlyle Group and a director of American Express. GM has been making bad choices for decades, and the bankruptcy and bailout have taught them nothing.

The death of Saturn began when it became a wholly owned subsidiary of GM. They started doing to Saturn what they did to Geo, selling cars made by other companies as Saturns.

The 1995 SW2 that I drive is an excellent vehicle, with one major flaw. We had to replace the transmission a couple years ago. As I understand it, another case of the differential pin coming loose and destroying the transmission. Fortunately I found someone in Michigan that had thirty of them, and it was delivered to the Saturn dealer the next day. The car was ready that afternoon.

The rental car we had while the SW2 was being repaired was a Cobalt. Talk about a pile of... it felt cheap and got LOUSY mileage. The cobalt is an example of the modern GM philosophy - build junk, cut corners, and rely on a media campaign to hype an inferior product.

To be honest, the only vehicle made by GM in recent years that interested me was the G8. Unfortunately GM finally succeeded in killing off Pontiac. I doubt I'll ever buy another GM product.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tekwyzrd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tekwyzrd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tekwyzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:22 PM   #119
Seegull
Seegull is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

My wife drives a 2003 Saturn Vue with only 83K on it - It still runs like new and we have had no problems with it - Maintained it like we should have - Towed a boat with it - Drove the beach - Top Notch Vehicle - What a shame for GM to let this brand die - Off course after they dumped their signature vehicle (Oldsmobile) I guess I should have seen the writing on the wall - I have always loved GM products especially after owning Ford & Dodge - I drive a Chevy HHR and now I hear that will be gone also - Good Buy Old Friend

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Seegull's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Seegull reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Seegull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #120
shadyacres
shadyacres is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.5L

Thanks Charlie, we do appreciate the time and effort you have put into this website. We were fairly new to the Saturn family back in 2006 when we purchased our first VUE, which was a 2006. When the 2008's came out, we loved the changes and the new look so we bought one. It has served us well and will continue to do so.

Shadyacres (Saturn VUE 2008)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to shadyacres's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help shadyacres reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
shadyacres is offline   Reply With Quote