SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #81
DrWatt
DrWatt is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
Default Re: Goodbye Saturn: Thanks for the Ride (1985-2010)

I sold my 2008 Saturn in Feb 2010. Traded for a 2010 Cadillac SRX. I loved the 2008 VueXR, but was plagued with problems from day 1. I had a steering problem that could not be corrected. They replaced every part of the steering gear and I still had problems they acknowledged. Then I began to get a bad vibration every time the 6 speed auto changed gears. The car was in and out, mostly in, the shop for a month before they changed the torque converter.

Final straw was when one of the Vue's computer went out on Interstate 4 right by Disney World on Xmas Eve. That is the busiest time for Disney World and I was caught in very heavy traffic with no instrument panel and the tranny stuck in 4th or 5th gear. Tried to manual shift and nothing happened. Since they could not duplicate the problem, nothing could be done.

But OH YES, something could be done. I sold the vehicle. I never had a GM vehicle with constant problems like that. And all I have owned are GM vehicles. The 2010 SRX has never been back for a problem in over 10 months now.

Thanks for administering the ssite

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DrWatt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DrWatt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DrWatt is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #82
quasar
quasar is on a distinguished road

1991 SC
1997 SW2

Thanks for everything you have done Charlie and all your time invested in Saturn. I still have my 91 and it is still in show condition. Currently have 140,000 miles and it still purrs like a kitten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quasar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quasar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #83
Mainer4
Mainer4 is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Happy Re: Goodbye Saturn: Thanks for the Ride (1985-2010)

Thanks for the website and all your efforts. Having wanted to own a Saturn for many years we finally bought our first one, a 2001 LW200 with 25K mils on it last fall, knowing Saturn was gone, but confident in its reputation. We love our wagon and its gas mileage and get up and go. Long time MOPAR fans we despaired of ever finding another trustworth vehicle to buy as our favorite K cars and L cars are now as scarce as hen's teeth! My next car will likely be one of the smaller Saturn station wagons with a 5-speed. I will probably start looking for a low mileage model this Spring.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mainer4's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mainer4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mainer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #84
irish56
Advanced Member
irish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really nice

1999 SC1

"They're out there.
They're not like most of us.
There's a passion that unites them, like a family.
Some people even call them rebels.
They're Saturn owners.
I don't know...I guess if you don't own one, you probably wouldn't understand."

- Saturn TV ad, "Rebels," 1996

Charlie, thanks for everything. Saturnalia has saved me a ton of money and hassle over the past ten years. It's also been a lot of fun.

'95 SL1 auto (RIP)
'98 SL2 5sp (RIP)
'01 SL2 auto (RIP)
'99 SC1 auto (Mom's...keeps on truckin')

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to irish56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help irish56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
irish56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #85
rossao1
Advanced Member
rossao1 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
Idea Re: Goodbye Saturn: Thanks for the Ride (1985-2010)

I am going to protest, Charlie. You are a gentleman and an all around great guy. We (my son and I) met when you were picking up your new VUE. But you are wrong about Saturn being dead. Saying "Goodbye" now makes no sense to me.

It is true that there are no NEW Saturns are being produced. So we only have like 2 million of them still on the roads. This is hardly what I would describe as dead. And when a Saturn Fan needs a repair reference, they will come here because of the blood sweat tears poured in to this site by THOUSANDS of contributors. Some are more notable than others. There are several rebuild threads are here that are a huge assistance to those willing to get their hands dirty... Please people never let that spirit of co-operation die. It is a Saturn trait. “Friendliness” rules! (I don't see that on other forums like this one has it.)

It was a different kind of Car Company indeed! It replaced cars that had the wrong coolant in them, with another new car! It gave you a money back guarantee! It did not operate like a typical car dealership; they helped you find your right car. It always built cars that were a good value at a reasonable content! They introduced nice and CLEAN WAITING AREAS! Thank you Saturn Corp for doing things right! It was a hard ride for the Saturn “dealership idea”. But, the Saturn stores changed the way many other dealerships operated and looked. That Saturn influence will never die. Yet the stores are now officially gone.

Saturn now lives in the hands and hearts of their owners. It is not dead. IMO, Saturn is not just about the dealerships, or the buying experience, or the service, but it is mostly the about the car. It's different kind of car. All of the Saturn products through the years sought to be unique. And those Saturn cars will be on the roads for another 25 five years. So, Saturn is not dead yet. This site is not dead. We have a second generation of Saturn fans to raise. Let’s get to it.

Peace to you my friend, Andrew.

A Saturn owner since 10/91.
'92 SC, '91 SL2, 95 SW1, '06 ION3
other car- '02 Expedition 5.4L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rossao1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rossao1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rossao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:29 AM   #86
fenric
fenric is on a distinguished road

As you said, thanks for the ride. Thanks for the best car-ownership related website I've ever seen. Like so many others have said, I saved an incredible amount of money by doing repairs on my own Saturn, and this site made me so much more comfortable doing them.

I guess I'm one of those Saturn owners who caused GM to kill them. I drove a Hyundai until 1995 when I bought my SL, then some 14 years and 335,000 miles later when I finally had to let it go, I bought another Hyundai, in part because the writing was on the wall for Saturn already at that point, but also in part because GM had taken away the "Saturn-ness" of the company.

I'll always remember the SL as one of the best cars I've ever had the pleasure of owning. Thanks to everyone who contributed to Saturn and to Saturnalia.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fenric's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fenric reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fenric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:29 AM   #87
nakman
nakman is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

Great artical Charlie. I haven't posted in a while. I've moved on just like GM has. I do look back at my ownership of two VUEs very fondly. They served me and my family very well from 2003 until the fall of 2010. The people at the dealerships we're great and one of the reasons we decided to go with Saturn in the first place.

I'm sure this forum will continue to serve Saturn owners (past, present and future) well.

As current Ford owner, I can honestly say that I have been unable to find a forum with as many friendly and helpful members.

To the members and Charlie, Thanks for everything.

Sincerely,

Sean

2007 VUE FWD 3.5L, Storm Grey
2008 Honda Accord, 2.4l, auto, Black
(Pic is the 03 VUE, 4 banger, 5 spd, gone but not forgotten)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nakman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nakman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:36 AM   #88
Carbon60
Carbon60 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

Farewell Saturn! 90 days ago I was at a decision point - I needed to travel to New Mexico from New Jersey to work on a government contract, and wasn't sure my 1994 SC2 would make it.

I bought the car new in Augusta, GA and have driven it up and down the East Coast - everywhere my career takes me, from the Homecoming in Spring Hill to my home on the banks of the Millstone River near Princeton. I'd been having electrical trouble- a slow constant drain on the battery- which I'd narrowed down to either the aftermarket alarm system or the infamous passive restraints.

Anyhow, I had the alarm removed and the restraints disconnected, and Ol' Blue (it's that peculiar teal shade!) went 2500 miles to Santa Fe without a whimper. Too bad the odometer broke three years ago at 178,600 miles, or I'd tell you how far past 200000 miles we've gone. NJ to NM and up the mountain every day to Los Alamos. This little car won't quit.

The Saturn 4 cyl. DOHC engine easily equals the famous Mopar Slant Six for durability, and surpasses it for economy... I've owned and driven them both. And the plastic body panels look nearly as good now as they did 17 years ago.

The Saturn Company was short-lived, and should have been given more freedom by the greedy GM establishment. I love my SC2, and will coddle it, repair it, and drive it until a viable/affordable electric roadster hits the market.

H. J. Rosen, Cranbury NJ: January 3, 2011.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Carbon60's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Carbon60 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Carbon60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #89
lamont4689
lamont4689 is on a distinguished road

1994 SW2

Hello all;
I have (2) still running "pretty good" Saturns. I Have enjoyed this site a lot even thought I don't come to say much.
thanks to all that have contributed valuable info to all the rest of us,
happy New year any way.

rich in southern Va.
1995 SW2
2001 L200

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lamont4689's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lamont4689 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lamont4689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #90
cola
Advanced Member
cola is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE
1996 SL

My parents purchased their first Saturn in the sping of 1996. It was a '96 Red SL1. I still remember going for a test drive with my brother, dad and the salesman. I was 6 at the time so I was too small to look out the window, but I remember looking at the inside, the new car smell and my dad talking to the salesman.
In '99 I recall looking at the HomeComing invitation. I wanted to go, but we were not able to make it.

My parents still own it that car and it about a 1,000 miles shy of turing over to 250,000 miles.

Since owning that car they also purchase a '99 SL2 in 2005 and in 2008 I bought my first Saturn. I plan on keeping "Eve" for a LONG time to come.

My brother also worked at one of our local Saturn dealers for a short time. He really injoyed it, but running his own business started to take up all his time so he had to leave.

After looking at some of the BMW forums my brother goes on for his car, I can say that there is no other forum like SaturnFans. Everyone here is very friendly and eager to help. I miss that about the Saturn dealers as well.

I hope everyone has a Great New!

David

2009 Aura XE 2.4-----SOLD
2004 Vue 3.5 AWD
1999 SL2 Auto
1998 SL2 5-Speed------SOLD
1996 SL1 5-Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cola's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cola reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:59 AM   #91
Way2QWK
Way2QWK is on a distinguished road

Thanks for making this the best saturn site on the net.
I was one of the lucky ones to have worked for Saturn at the local dealer since the 90's when it was only s-series on the lots. The s-series in my opinion is the best all-around American economy car made since its debut. I enjoyed the 12 years at Saturn as a technician and all the experiances that came with it. Toward the end, the saturn product fell apart as they became re-badged GM junk, but overall a good product with the s-series and Ion. Bettween my family and I, we have owned over 10 saturns and will continue to as long as parts are available. Thanks to all the customers of Saturn of Tucson for their bussiness that gave me a paycheck over the years.

***Saturn Tech and owner of Planet Automotive in Tucson AZ. Specializing in Saturn repairs.

94 SW2- custom intake and ported throttle body
2003 Saturn Vue 3.0 v6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Way2QWK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Way2QWK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Way2QWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:01 AM   #92
redkees@msn.com
redkees@msn.com is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
2008 AURA XE

I cannot say enough of how many times this site has helped me keep my Saturns running. Charlie, you have done a fantastic job on this site. The members that post here are very knowledgeable and their contributions are
what make the site the #1 auto site on the web. The tech sections are an unbelievable resource.

As for the Saturn brand I always loved the Brand. We started with a 1998
Saturn SL2 5 speed. It was a great car and had 225,000 on it when I sold it.
I learned, from this site, how to repair it well and it looked as good as it ran.
That first buying experience was great. The dealership in those days did a new car "Launch" and handed us the keys. We enjoyed our dealer experience too. We had that car 12 years and have fond memories of it.

In 2002, I purchased a 2003 Vue. My Wife loved that car. We had it a couple of years but it had problems--low power issues--twice. I had it fixed and decided to sell it and go with the one car, at that time.

A few years later I bought a used SL, 5 speed for $1500. The car had 140K on it. I updated the car service mantenance wise and drove it two years and 90,000 miles before I traded it in for my 2004 Vue. That SL averaged 40 mpg when gas was $4.00 a gallon. I enjoyed fixing it, but my Wife wanted another Vue so I traded this SL in for her 2004 Vue we have today.

This 2004 Vue has been a cream puff similiar to my first 1998 SL2. Runs great and except for regular maintenance no issues. Has 100,000 miles on it now and still runs like new.

We will run the Vue as long as possible. I went out and bought a 2006 Buick LaCrosse--which I love immensely.

If I ever run across a used SL2 that isin't trashed and the price is right I would probably buy it. The problem where I live is all Saturns are not cheap in my area.

Just recently my Daughter bought a 2005 Ion 2. Here again this forum helped me understand the ignition switch problem I would have never discovered otherwise if not for this site.

Thanks go out to Charlie and all the great members you contribute so much to this site. I hope you keep this site up forever....

Previously Owned 98 SL2, Sold
98 SL, Sold
When your Saturn is well kept YOU are well kept.

Second Car: Buick LaCrosse 2006

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to redkees@msn.com's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help redkees@msn.com reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
redkees@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:04 AM   #93
Babblemaster
Babblemaster is on a distinguished road

Sad Re: Goodbye Saturn: Thanks for the Ride (1985-2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
A new story entry has been added:

Goodbye Saturn: Thanks for the Ride (1985-2010)
What a shame! I still have a very basic 1995 Saturn S. I bought brand new. Factory ordering it with ABS and a RH mirror as the only options. It has stood the test of time shrugging off all that Canadian winters, and my son, could throw at it. It's still running great, albeit with a few creaks and rattles. I still like it after 16 years, and that says it all. My most reliable car ever. I will surely miss when it will be replaced in a few months.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Babblemaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Babblemaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Babblemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:09 AM   #94
saturntech97
saturntech97 is on a distinguished road

1994 Sc2 in aquamarine
1995 Sw2 in Gold
1996 Sl2 became the 97's parts car
1997 Sl2 in that lovely green
2000 ls1 currently installing rebuilt head
Ive worked on them since 1997, and my wagon has 193k on it, i have a lot of Saturn customers i know by name soon as i see them, worked for Saturn of Haverhill, Portsmouth ,and Lowell,all the (same owner). Lou Lucier one of our Haverhill customers also made an appearance in a Saturn ad. Its really Sad it was like having an extended family. I got to train in spring hill at the time the Vue was born and got to see the innerworkings of research and development,saw the lost foam casting technique, and even got to see the techline people and meet some of them i had talked to over the phone in the past, at that time they were phasing that out and going to a generic GM tech line, having a saturn specific tech line meant no egos to deal with and true help!
Was looking forward to the new Saturn with the penske deal, hoping it would go back to the Saturn values of some sort while introducing new ideas to revive the brand. Im sorry to all of my Saturn customers who have to deal with the old school way GM is doing things, specially customers who came to us after having to bring their saturns in for warranty work at a GM dealer and got less than stellar treatment, wanting us to still work on their warranty stuff and they said they would pay just please fix it. Ill miss them, Thank you to all the Saturn customers!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturntech97's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturntech97 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturntech97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:25 AM   #95
saturndriver59
saturndriver59 is on a distinguished road

Different kind of car company - until they abandoned their idea of being different. The past several years of lack of being different was telling that GM wrote off the idea and moved on. They had a good thing going and had the opportunity to be a flagship for the hybrid testing base.

I will still have fond memories of replacing body panels with ease, but that's about it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturndriver59's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturndriver59 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturndriver59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:29 AM   #96
HermTDI
HermTDI is on a distinguished road

Car Info: 1994 Saturn SL2 automatic "Blue/Black"
I'm the orignal owner. This is car is still a daily driver (3-Jan-2011).
My Saturn has been (and continues to be) the most economical and reliable car I have ever owned. This car still gets 36-MPG after 13 yrs of driving in Maine. Parts I've had to replaced outside of the recommended service schedule:
1. Water pump
2. Serpentine belt tensioner
3. Suspension (front & rear)
4. Tires (3 sets)
5. 1 wheel alignment
6. Front wheel bearings (1 set)
7. Mufflers (3) The rest of the exhaust sys is still orignal !
8. Brake pads (4 sets)
9. Brake rotors (2 sets)

I have never had any light bulbs / head tail lights fail ....never.
Car still washes & shigns up sweet after its annual wax job
This car has NEVER left me "Broke on the side of the road"

Why did GM make the mistake of killing of this brand ?

Last edited by HermTDI; 01-03-2011 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: typo

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HermTDI's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HermTDI reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HermTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:40 AM   #97
KimK
KimK is on a distinguished road

2009 VUE 3.6L

It's sad that our first Saturn has to be our last. We do LOVE our 2009 VUE. Thanks for the posts/forum, I enjoyed it a GREAT deal.

Happy New Year everyone.

Savor
All
The
Unique
Rides
Now

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KimK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KimK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KimK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:46 AM   #98
vstringbassist
vstringbassist is on a distinguished road

Excellent article. I did not know the "whole" Saturn story until I read it. My wife and I are new to Saturn vehicles - we really like our 07 Ion so much so I have sold my SVX and am looking for an older model possibly a L200 (fuel mileage/polymer panels/reliability being a big factor).

This website has been very helpful, thank you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vstringbassist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vstringbassist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vstringbassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #99
atwhatcost
atwhatcost is on a distinguished road

The week before Christmas, my Saturn went into a coma (I thought it was a permanent death, but it wasn't) on one of the busiest streets in Philly, during a snwstorm, in rush hour traffic. The battery died, while I was driving it. (Bad six-month old battery, not a bad car.)

Hubby and I are disabled, so living on Social Secuity Disability. When we were both working and bought our 1994 Saturn, in 1995, we bought it, because I totaled our previous car. With that, we bought the Saturn specifically for its "crashability" and the ease of changing parts - including panels - when the time came after a crash. (Again, we live in Phlly, so it's never a question of if someone will do something stupid to cause a crash, it's a question of when.)

I'm still happy with our car - not what it used to look like, but we've never needed major repairs on it, of any kind, in 15 years. You can't beat that.

Now, Saturn is over, as a brand. Soon it will be over for parts. We're on disability. We won't be buying another car - ever. It's a good, sturdy car; completely American made; and not embarassing to be seen in, even 15 years later. I think GMs choice to kill it off is a big mistake. We're also in big doo-doo, when it really dies. No replacement parts! Bad business decision at too many people's expense.

If the winning lottery ticket blows in my hand (I don't waste my money on them and have about the same odds of one blowing in my hand), and we can buy another car sometime in the future, there will be one other condition a car needs to have for me to buy it (safety and looks are always going to be on my list) - it won't be from GM. I'd go back to Ford - the only Big 3, who didn't need government help to stay afloat. If nothing else can be said positively about Ford, at least they didn't leave their customers and employees in the lurch.

Still love the car. I just don't like GM for doing this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atwhatcost's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atwhatcost reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atwhatcost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:06 PM   #100
silverblueL200
Advanced Member
silverblueL200 is on a distinguished road

Its great to see that this site is still kicking after all this time & all of its great resources are still here. Though GM's actions over the last few years have soured me on ever buying another GM product, I would happily buy a used Saturn again.

- 2003 Saab 9-3 Arc

Hello, mother. I come bearing a gift. I'll give you a hint. It's in my diaper and it's not a toaster. -Stewie Griffin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silverblueL200's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silverblueL200 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silverblueL200 is offline   Reply With Quote