SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2011, 08:50 PM   #241
akasnacker
akasnacker is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
Thumbs Up Re: Goodbye Saturn: Thanks for the Ride (1985-2010)

Thanks Charlie,

Charlie, You my friend know what honor & hard work can do when mixed together with the right company & the right group of people who will stand behind the name "SATURN" I say good bye to an old friend that I would have followed in the future for many years to come but thanks to GM I can't! I have owned a 1994 Saturn SC2, 1997 Saturn SC2 & now my final car 2001 Saturn SC2 never had any major problems with any of them except for the car makers parent company GM with that said I now will have to buy Japanese since GM was so worried they couldn't nickel & dime us to death on parts for are SATURN cars they are so cheap & badly run as a giant American company! I have a very sour taste in my mouth & wonder when I will ever buy another GM car again after this SC2 dies??? I forgave them for all the recalls of seventies & eighties & always bought AMERICAN cars ever since I started buying cars in 1987 but now its 2011 & when its time I hope 5 years or more I will give up on this idea of buying American cars now thanks to the Tight & Cheap run GM! Sorry Charlie I really respect you & your letter saying good bye to SATURN & its unreal how GM has been so stupid to throw away such a good car company as SATURN, when I heard they were getting rid of Saturn I thought to myself, GM knew they had made to good of a car that was going to last to long! I believe this is their main reason for killing the brand! I have always been proud to drive Saturn & will still feel that way even if a corrupt parent company help to built it & abandoned me!
The SC2 is a very nice looking auto from the first one to the last 3 rd generation one, GM will be saving there collective Ass's if they brought it back! They still have a lot of people out in America etc that will buy this type of car again! The best thing other than not having any real problems with my SC2's is the fact you can use spider spikes 'type of snow chains' on the car when you hit the snow I love that in 5 Min's your done no fuss no mess in putting them on the car LOVE THAT! Thanks SATURNALIA for all your info on fixes etc. especially that guy rich pin he rules the Saturn repairs on U Tube! HAPPY MOTORING SATURN PEOPLE!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to akasnacker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help akasnacker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
akasnacker is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2011, 03:13 AM   #242
bigalpha
bigalpha will become famous soon enough

1997 SL1
Default Re: Goodbye Saturn: Thanks for the Ride (1985-2010)

I read this blog post and while I'm no die-hard Saturn fan, I can seriously appreciate someone who falls balls-deep for something. I don't know you but thanks for starting all this and bringing it to where it is now.

All good things must come to an end, I suppose, but there's always room for

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigalpha's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigalpha reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:34 AM   #243
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Within seconds of the rear-ender that assassinated my ’98 SC2 in November 2010, I was looking it over…. thinking of what needed fixing.

Now, the car-cass is in my garage and I’m dismantling it in preparation for building another one just like it.
The parts will go onto a 270,000-mile “basket case” (but perfect steel body) SC2 from the South.

There’s always room in my driveway for an inexpensive, economical fun-to-drive, easy-to-repair commuter car that won’t accept door dings.

Until our beloved EPA’s proposed 15% ethanol destroys my “new” SC2 as planned, I refuse to drive a Euro-Style Sheep-Mobile….and when our beloved, all-seeing, totalitariangovernment “proposes” something, it is already in the works.

...oh yah....and I just paid $10k in property taxes, so cash is low. Thanks beloved, caring, government... for giving all of our wonderful, caring, State Employees (members of the beloved United Auto Workers Union) a cost-of-living raise. Funny thing is, I notice a lot of closed businesses Up North. Seems someone, or something, is sucking the $ out of the private sector.

Last edited by bumpdraft; 02-01-2011 at 07:42 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:04 PM   #244
stacycentral
stacycentral is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
2009 AURA XR

Thank you for your posts. We began with a 97 SL2. I later bought my wife a 2003 L300, which we later replaced with a 2007 AURA. I bought my daughter a 97SW for high school and college. She was proud when she bought a 2008 ION on her on in Houston. It saved her life when less than a month later, she was rear ended and totaled on I10. She replaced it with 2005 L300, which she still drives. My son-in-law joined the family and bought a 2010 AURA. Seeing the hand writing, we replaced our well-loved L300 with a 2009 AURA XR. The car is great, but already the experience car-buying experience regressed to the sordid feeling of a middle-eastern bazaar as we dealt with the parent Chevy dealership. They even sold me some after market car-care plan vice the Saturn car care plan. My fault for not realizing that my trust was misplaced. I'm counting the miles when I no longer deal with GM under the warranty and car-care plan. Chevy tells me I'm a "VIP Member." I think that's Chevy-speak for "cash cow." Well, my Saturns will go all the way to the end. When they die, they'll be replaced by non-GM and non-UAW vehicles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stacycentral's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stacycentral reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stacycentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:53 AM   #245
drwatson
drwatson is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

This is my first post on these forums. I've never had a need to post, because after searching around on these forums, any question I have ever had about my Saturn was answered. I have a 2000 SC-1 with ~185k miles. I bought it with ~70k miles. The only fix (other than oil, breakpads, etc) I have had to do is the intake gasket, which is impressive for a used car on a salvage title. She needs a bit of work done and unfortunately I do not have the time to give her the TLC she needs. I am trading her in tomorrow for a new car .

Thanks Charlie and SaturnFans for being so helpful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to drwatson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help drwatson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
drwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:57 PM   #246
Jonnyferrari
Jonnyferrari is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Great article...I wish I was a driver when the homecomings happened I would have totally loved to go! ALL of the saturn dealers within the area are now Suzuki! I hate it! I just do NOT like their cars...but many of the places have the same employees, in fact, the guy who sold my car to me used sold it back in 2000 to it's first owner. Neat!

[Sold] 2000 Saturn LS2 premium package; 120k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonnyferrari's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonnyferrari reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonnyferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:22 PM   #247
teamscr
teamscr is on a distinguished road

Charlie -

Well, I have kept this e-mail in my InBox for a while now thinking that I would be writing something eventually. Maybe I will someday write an eloquent piece dedicated to the cause, but first I wanted to personally thank you for being such a Saturn banner-waver. As an owner, employee, racer, and fellow enthusiast, we sure had a great thing, didn't we? Time moves on, but we can all look back fondly at the fun we had.

Who would have thought all this passion could have been wrapped up in a few plastic body panels?

James
scR motorsports
#34 ITA / # 34 SSC
www.teamscR.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to teamscr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help teamscr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
teamscr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:08 PM   #248
kreshnik87
kreshnik87 is on a distinguished road

no mention of OPEL in this article?

Thats weird, because saturn was based on the car OPEL that is only sold on Europe, that GM also owns. They changed the name because they didnt want the european market to know that Opel was being runed by an American company. I gues when they started making Saturn here in the states they also had to change some details in the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kreshnik87's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kreshnik87 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kreshnik87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:58 AM   #249
mike08vue
mike08vue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreshnik87 View Post

Thats weird, because saturn was based on the car OPEL that is only sold on Europe, that GM also owns. They changed the name because they didnt want the european market to know that Opel was being runed by an American company. I gues when they started making Saturn here in the states they also had to change some details in the car.
The original Saturn had very little to do with Opel, it was an attempt at an independent branch of the GM organization, using new(at that time) techniques and marketing stratigies to compete with the Japanese and European imports. It also had a unique dealer orgainzation and union agreements. As the GM heirarchy pulled Saturn under their umbrella and made them one of ther divisions, its uniqueness dissolved. Then Gm started using platform sharing (ie Opel and Chevy) to build their cars. Opels are good cars,but they aren't what Saturn was originally all about.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mike08vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mike08vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mike08vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:50 PM   #250
kreshnik87
kreshnik87 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike08vue View Post
The original Saturn had very little to do with Opel, it was an attempt at an independent branch of the GM organization, using new(at that time) techniques and marketing stratigies to compete with the Japanese and European imports. It also had a unique dealer orgainzation and union agreements. As the GM heirarchy pulled Saturn under their umbrella and made them one of ther divisions, its uniqueness dissolved. Then Gm started using platform sharing (ie Opel and Chevy) to build their cars. Opels are good cars,but they aren't what Saturn was originally all about.
Yea, I dont remember Saturn when it first came out but I knew a little about the late models, that is why i mentioned Opel.

My Saturn SL2 is a lot like the Chevy cavalier, and some other Saturn models resemble a lot in some Opel models. But it is a shame that they had to discontinue Saturns.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kreshnik87's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kreshnik87 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kreshnik87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:21 PM   #251
txsaturn
txsaturn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreshnik87 View Post

This is wrong on so many levels. The fact that Opel was run by GM was no secret...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to txsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help txsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
txsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:38 AM   #252
sideup66
sideup66 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Sorry to revive a bit but im personally going to miss the company. Did not know alot about them until back in September of 2010 I purchased my 2003 Vue and fell in love with the car from the first time i went into "D" on the dealership lot. Its not a luxury car by any means but somthing about the car is just nice. I found an interesting read too on GM's failure overall: http://www.amazon.com/Sixty-Zero-Col...6740793&sr=1-1

Very interesting chapter on Saturn inside. Personally i think i make my parents a little crazy with my constant bragging about this car haha but i am enjoying it. Also, the forums here have been nothing but helpful in explaining how the car works which benefits my overall mechanical knowledge, before this car i had no clue how to work on a car at all. I was proud of myself if i could change a light bulb in a car.

In short, the car and the name behind it were a definition of what a car should be. Simple, reliable, and fun.

Only part that makes me sad, is when the time comes to replace the Vue, i wont be able to say "hey lets stop over at Saturn and check out the new models on the showroom" . I just wish someone could bring the company back....if i had the means to do so i probably would.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sideup66's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sideup66 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sideup66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:30 PM   #253
bluefever
bluefever is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Goodbye Saturn, Thanks for the Ride (1985-2010)

I second that,lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluefever's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluefever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluefever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:23 PM   #254
jaman
jaman is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Dazed Re: Goodbye Saturn, Thanks for the Ride (1985-2010)

(I just wish someone could bring the company back....if I had the means to do so I probably would.)

We got close -- Penzke was real close, but unfortunately for all us Saturn owners/lovers/enthusiasts -- He couldn't make it happen, even with all the $$$ he has , he did give it a shot though , but unfortunately it was a shot in the dark ...

My 2005 Ion is going strong, and she only has 88,000 miles on her. I keep up on the maintenance real good -- consistent oil changes and fluid checks are about all the tuning up you need to do ( and yes the spark plugs do go 100,000 miles ) but I would change them out a bit sooner ( but thats just me )
I purchased the car back in 2005 , it had 7,000 miles on it already so I was able to swing a pretty good deal !!
All in All the car has been a god sent, and after owning it now for over six years I feel that I was lucky to have purchased such a fine American made automobile .
I will drive her till the end ,me or her --- which ever may come first

SPACE )))) )))) ))) THE FINAL FRONTIER ((( (((( (((( TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO SATURN HAS GONE BEFORE ((

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jaman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jaman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #255
yuri23
yuri23 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

We'll always love 'em.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yuri23's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yuri23 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yuri23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #256
bluefever
bluefever is on a distinguished road

penske ONLY didn't happen because nissan didn't want competition and refused to supply drivetrains for a couple years,I use to like nissan but after them nailing the last nail in the coffin,i don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaman View Post
(I just wish someone could bring the company back....if I had the means to do so I probably would.)

We got close -- Penzke was real close, but unfortunately for all us Saturn owners/lovers/enthusiasts -- He couldn't make it happen, even with all the $$$ he has , he did give it a shot though , but unfortunately it was a shot in the dark ...

My 2005 Ion is going strong, and she only has 88,000 miles on her. I keep up on the maintenance real good -- consistent oil changes and fluid checks are about all the tuning up you need to do ( and yes the spark plugs do go 100,000 miles ) but I would change them out a bit sooner ( but thats just me )
I purchased the car back in 2005 , it had 7,000 miles on it already so I was able to swing a pretty good deal !!
All in All the car has been a god sent, and after owning it now for over six years I feel that I was lucky to have purchased such a fine American made automobile .
I will drive her till the end ,me or her --- which ever may come first

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluefever's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluefever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluefever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #257
GammaVen
GammaVen is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-1 Sedan
1998 SL2
Thumbs Up Re: Goodbye Saturn, Thanks for the Ride (1985-2010)

Amen to so much of what everyone is saying. GM did drop the ball by following up the original with some mediocre designs like the 'jelly bean' car for example but they followed up with the Ion, Vue, Aura which should have been enough to keep the brand going but it did need more individuality. There was enough left there quality wise to carry on. My Ion has 275,000 and going strong for example. They should have left them operate more independently. It saddens me that they closed it. My daughter and I were just talking about it yesterday and wondering what to buy in a few years. Guess it’ll have to be a ‘Chebby”.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GammaVen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GammaVen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GammaVen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:33 PM   #258
jaman
jaman is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Checkered Flag Re: Goodbye Saturn, Thanks for the Ride (1985-2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaVen View Post
My Ion has 275,000 and going strong .
WoW 275,000 that's incredible - I'm assuming its the original engine ? thats very cool !!

SPACE )))) )))) ))) THE FINAL FRONTIER ((( (((( (((( TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO SATURN HAS GONE BEFORE ((

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jaman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jaman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:59 AM   #259
GammaVen
GammaVen is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-1 Sedan
1998 SL2

Yes, original engine. It's starting to use a wee bit of oil - abt 1/2 qt per change. I use mobil-1-15K. The trannie works, the air works and the radio works so we'll keep piling on the miles. I bought my wife an '09 Astra which are Saturns made in Belgium. It has that Euro handling feel but the 1.8 doesn't match the handling. She loves it though. Nice car in your pic, looks like you take care of your vehicles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GammaVen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GammaVen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GammaVen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #260
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

I miss Saturn. Unfortunately I wasn't part of the fight to save Saturn as I was incarcerated back then. Anyone that remembers me knows I would've probably made the news in my fight but you can't do much from a prison cell. I still have my plans to get another Saturn and open "Saturn Hospital". Saturns still exist they're going to need a service center, and my plan is to hire felons like myself who need another chance.

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote