SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
carl2004vue
carl2004vue is on a distinguished road

Default please watch this and tell me what is wrong

There are no code but in idle it shakes and make this noise.http://www.youtube.com/user/keeraand.../0/9PrDa0WcPNA

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carl2004vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carl2004vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carl2004vue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
stockfornow
stockfornow is on a distinguished road

1993 SC1
2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: please watch this and tell me what is wrong

it is hard to tell for sure. Does the noise change with engine speed. And does it sound like it is coming more from the top or from the oil pan.

1993 saturn sc1 5 speed mine
2001 saturn L300 auto sisters

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stockfornow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stockfornow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stockfornow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
carl2004vue

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockfornow View Post
it is hard to tell for sure. Does the noise change with engine speed. And does it sound like it is coming more from the top or from the oil pan.
It is only there when in idle or park. Runs fine other times

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help carl2004vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-13-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

You'll get more meaningful answers posting in one of the Vue forums; that's where the Vue experts are. But just guessin', I have to think the way the throttle plate is twitching can't be right. On most cars, the idle speed is controlled by an idle air control that bypasses the closed throttle plate. But it's possible the Vue has some funky system whereby the idle is controlled by physically moving the throttle plate. And perhaps that control system is where the problem lies.

Hmm, one other possiblility, but again, purely speculative, is that the throttle cable is loose/slack, and the general vibration of the powertrain is letting the throttle twitch open like that on occasion. Does the gas pedal feel sloppy under your foot?

One other, long shot possibility is something with the cruise control. Again, the Vue might work completely differently (further reason it's good to post to the model-specific sections), but cruise control typically works by pulling the throttle cable the same way as pushing the pedal. Maybe the cruise control is getting activated errantly, and occasionally randomly tugging on the throttle cable. If you can confirm that the Vue cruise control works the way most do, you could try just pulling the cruise control fuse, and see if the problem goes away. But again, it's a long shot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
john95SW2
Advanced Member
john95SW2 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 2.2L

No throttle or cruise control cables on the Vue, all drive by wire.

Hard to diagnose from a video but since it only happens at idle I would guess that it is something driven like the accessory belt tensioner or even the timing chain/chain tensioner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to john95SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help john95SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
john95SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:26 PM   #6
carl2004vue

Quote:
Originally Posted by john95SW2 View Post

Hard to diagnose from a video but since it only happens at idle I would guess that it is something driven like the accessory belt tensioner or even the timing chain/chain tensioner.
Thanks for the feed back guys. couple of little items to note.. I replaced the battery just before all this started and everything was good for about a month or so.. let's say it only happens when I'm not pushing on the gas. In park it does it but it takes it a few minutes to start doing it. At stop lights and so on it seems to start after just a few seconds of letting off the gas so I put it in neutral to calm it down and although it is still noisy as all get out the vibration isn't as bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-14-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
carl2004vue

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2004vue View Post
Thanks for the feed back guys. couple of little items to note.. I replaced the battery just before all this started and everything was good for about a month or so.. let's say it only happens when I'm not pushing on the gas. In park it does it but it takes it a few minutes to start doing it. At stop lights and so on it seems to start after just a few seconds of letting off the gas so I put it in neutral to calm it down and although it is still noisy as all get out the vibration isn't as bad.
oh and one other thing when it first started I was such it was a timing belt thing but I need had to deal with that myself before.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-14-2011, 11:17 PM   #8
Midnight13
Midnight13 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL
2005 VUE 3.5L

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkLgKXLXwQQ

Sounds like my husbands Neon.......

now the damn thing is dead, won't start, has had transmission problems for years, he's doing a ATX to MTX swap on it...the 02 Neon trannys are just as good as the CVT trannies in th Vue.

That'd be my guess.

"Not for human consumption!" - Peas in the Pod

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Peas-in-a-Pod/160649663950771

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Midnight13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Midnight13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Midnight13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:58 AM   #9
john95SW2
Advanced Member
john95SW2 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2004vue View Post
Look at your accessory belt tensioner...is it shaking wildly at idle?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to john95SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help john95SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
john95SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:08 PM   #10
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by john95SW2 View Post
Well then, and again just guessing, but there's something telling the PCM to twitch the throttle plate open intermittently. Just looking at the throttle plate, it looks like an idle control problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote