SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
president2024
president2024 is on a distinguished road

Default Instrument Panel Needle Lights Flicker

Hello,

I have been trying to figure this problem out for a while and could really use some input. My instrument panel needles on my 2007 Saturn Aura XE had been flickering for a while. Now they are just dim and never are bright like they should be. All of this happened when a headlight went out. I don't know if this is a bulb issue or something electrical, considering all the needles flickered and went dim at the same time. I know it's a small issue, but it surely is annoying.

Any advice? I appreciate it!

-Jason

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to president2024's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help president2024 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
president2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2010, 01:08 AM   #2
greenman
greenman will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XE
Default Re: Instrument Panel Needle Lights Flicker

You could have a dealer check it out with a tech 2 but I'd suspect a bad IPC board. The schematic would help. Recycled IPCs are available on ebay "Aura instrument".

Last edited by greenman; 12-22-2010 at 01:17 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:25 PM   #3
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Forgot to add: its a vacuum fluorescent display, no replaceable "bulbs". I know Lexus had this same problem for years. Yours is the first I've seen for the Aura/Malibu IPC. I could be wrong. Cars are very complex these days.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-22-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
president2024

I don't like that one bit. Complex means expensive lol. It probably wouldn't be worth it for me to replace the entire instrument panel considering it's a small issue, but if I decide to, what's the best way to get that out of there? Thanks again for your help.

-Jason

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help president2024 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-23-2010, 02:09 AM   #5
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by president2024 View Post
I don't like that one bit. Complex means expensive lol. It probably wouldn't be worth it for me to replace the entire instrument panel considering it's a small issue, but if I decide to, what's the best way to get that out of there? Thanks again for your help.

-Jason
If it were my problem, I would probe a dealer's service manager for any free info I could cajole out of him. Some are knowledgeable & helpful. Some are dicks. It's a crap shoot. You would need to refer to the service manual (worth every penny) for the R & R.

also FYI: replacement IPC's have to be reprogrammed by a tech 2 (which only dealers have)

Maybe it's worth getting an extended warranty if plan to keep it.

Also, when you say they're dim how dim? Would you post a picture?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-23-2010, 12:14 PM   #6
president2024

I'll probably take it to a dealer and see what info I can get. I'm not sure if a picture would be able to show it, but the needles aren't visible during the day, but you can easily see them during the night. Thanks again for your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-23-2010, 01:01 PM   #7
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

if turn turn headlights tomanual insteadof auto (to make sure they are off) does this help?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:49 PM   #8
greenman

2009 AURA XE

OP:
On my 09, when I turn the key to the run position, the needles go hot to 100% brightness. Do yours?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-23-2010, 05:35 PM   #9
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Also, have you tried turning the dimmer switch up & down on the chance that the BCM is getting bad input from it? (The BCM controls the VF display)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-23-2010, 08:34 PM   #10
president2024

Hello. The dimmer knob does make the already dim needles even dimmer to the point where there is no light (only visible during the night). Turn the auto lights off does not change anything.

I will post back once I get word from the repair shop.

-Jason

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-18-2011, 02:13 AM   #11
greenman

2009 AURA XE

There appears to be an issue with '07 IP clusters. At least that's what I interpret this to mean:

Service Information
Document ID: 1853047
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#05-08-49-009D: Exchange Program - Saturn Aura, ION, Relay, SKY and VUE Instrument Panel Cluster Ordering Process - (Aug 4, 2006)

Subject: Saturn Aura, ION, Relay, Sky and VUE Instrument Panel Cluster Ordering Process

Models: 2005-2007 Saturn Relay

2007 Saturn Aura, ION, Sky and VUE

Attention: Fixed Operations Manager, Parts Manager, and Technician

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add models and model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-08-49-009C (Section 08 -- Body & Accessories).

The purpose of this bulletin is to inform Saturn Retailers of a parts exchange program for instrument panel (IP) clusters. The IP cluster has been designated as an exchange part. By working closely with our retailers and technicians through the parts exchange process, the GM team will gain a better understanding of any field concerns that may develop.

If a customer comes to the retailer with IP cluster concerns, please follow the repair information and diagnostics found in the Instrument Panel, Gages, and Console sub-section of Service Information (SI) or the appropriate Saturn Service Manual. If your diagnosis points to a fault with the IP cluster, obtain an exchange IP cluster as follows:

U.S. Retailers: Please call one of the following authorized Electronic Service Centers (ESC):

AER Technologies (AEL) , Brea, CA: (714) 871-7357 or (800) 321-6970

AJR International, Inc (AJC) , Elmhurst, IL: (630) 832-0222 or (800) 232-3965

Autocraft Electronics (AED) , Carrollton, TX: (972) 466-6200 or (800) 336-3998

Instrument Sales & Service, Inc (ISS) , Kent, WA: (253) 796-5400 or (800) 666-5469

Model Electronics, Inc (MES) , Spring Valley, NY: (201) 961-6200 or (800) 433-9657

Specmo Enterprises (SED) , Madison Heights, MI: (248) 307-2570 or (800) 545-7910

Techni-Car, Inc (TCT) , Oldsmar, FL: (813) 855-0022 or (800) 886-0022

Replacement parts are usually shipped out within 24 hours, and a pre-paid return package label will be included for returning the original part. By returning the original part, you will avoid a significant non-return core charge. Insert the Core Authorization Form when returning the original part. Please follow the instructions on the paperwork included with the replacement unit for proper handling procedures.

The IP cluster will be shipped to the facility free of charge. You will not be invoiced for the IP cluster. Therefore, the IP cluster is not to be sold to the Customer Service Order (CSO).

Canadian Retailers: Replacement IP clusters must be obtained from an authorized Canadian Electronic Service Centre (ESC).

Ordering Information
When ordering through Electronic Service Centers, the following information is needed to process retailer order(s):

• Retailer telephone number (preferred) or Dealer Code

• Account number (this is the ESC’s internal profile number)

If an account number has not been established, the ESC will create a new account number or "profile" of the Saturn Retailer.

• IP cluster part number currently in the vehicle

- The part number can be retrieved with the Tech 2® scan tool.

- If the IP cluster has been removed, the part number is listed on the label of the IP cluster.

• Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), mileage, and delivery date

• Repair Order (R.O.) number (this corresponds to the Customer Service Order [CSO] number)

• Description of issue

The retailer will receive a Core Authorization Form and an Order Form. The Order Form is for the retailer’s records. The Core Authorization Form is the document that should be returned with the original IP cluster unit; this form is NOT an invoice. The Core Value, Reman Price, and Estimated Freight are listed for non-warranty transactions.

NON-WARRANTY TRANSACTIONS will require a Purchase Order (P.O.) number for the retailer to process the order. (The retailer issues a P.O. to purchase the unit from the ESC and then bills the customer.) All other steps are the same.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Case Type
Description
Labor Operation Code
Labor Hrs.
Admin.* Hrs.
Net Item** Amount
Net Item Code

VW
Cluster Assembly, Instrument - Replace
N4180
Refer to applicable Electronic Labor Time Guide
0.2 hr
$20.00
M

* Instrument Panel Cluster Exchange Program administrative allowance

** Instrument Panel Cluster Exchange Program part allowance

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #12
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
...replacement IPC's have to be reprogrammed by a tech 2 (which only dealers have)
I want to correct that mistake: The IPC requires no programming at all. The mileage is maintained by the BCM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!