SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 08:05 PM   #1
RicksVue
RicksVue is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Dizzy Wiper Control Module location

My daughter drives a 94 SC2. Last weekend she had an unfortunate meeting of the bumpers with a 99 SL2 (she tail-ended it. I think it's time for the talk about being nice to other Saturns.)

Other than the physical damage that the insurance company will take care of, there's also a problem with the wiper/window washer system. The wipers didn't work; I found the wiper fuse blown and replaced it but now the windshield washer runs continuously. (The wipers run, though.) I've unplugged the washer pump connector for now.

If I pull the wiper switch back (which normally turns on the washer and wipers) the wipers start running for a few seconds as expected - therefore, I don't think it's the switch on the steering column. The Haynes manual doesn't talk about the wiper system, but the wiring schematic shows a wiper control module that the washer connects to. I'd like to find this so I can troubleshoot it - I've got the test equipment and electronics expertise but I've got to find it first.

Can someone describe where this module is located? Any guesses why it would be acting this way?

Any further repair expense for this accident will probably cause the insurance company to total the car - that's the last thing I want to have happen.

-Rick

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RicksVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RicksVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2003, 09:19 PM   #2
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

I'd actually be willing to bet that it IS the switch. She probably bumped/jammed it when the accident happened. The switch itself sends the electrical current signal to the DELAY module which in turn sends it to the pump and controls the wiper delay timing. If the wipers work "normally" but the pump runs constantly, your problem is most likely in the switch as the delay module is essentially an either it works 100% or not at all type deal. Did the airbag deploy on the accident? If so, collateral damage may have also occured to the sterring column and or wiper switch when it did, which would also be covered by your insurance claim.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2003, 09:44 PM   #3
RicksVue

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally posted by wolfman
I'd actually be willing to bet that it IS the switch. She probably bumped/jammed it when the accident happened. The switch itself sends the electrical current signal to the DELAY module which in turn sends it to the pump and controls the wiper delay timing. If the wipers work "normally" but the pump runs constantly, your problem is most likely in the switch as the delay module is essentially an either it works 100% or not at all type deal. Did the airbag deploy on the accident? If so, collateral damage may have also occured to the sterring column and or wiper switch when it did, which would also be covered by your insurance claim.
No, the airbag didn't deploy.
Why I think it's not the steering column switch is because pulling on it engages the wiper for the delay period, just like it should. The wiring diagram doesn't show a separate switch for these two functions.

As to making it an additional insurance claim, that's not going to happen. Any further expense is mine - the alternative is that the car will be totaled.

-Rick

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RicksVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2003, 10:05 PM   #4
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

There IS is seperate signal contact in the switch for the washer pump. That is why tapping the switch will make the wipers swipe three times without engaging the pump AT ALL, but holding back will engage the pump until it is released. There is NO connection between the washer pump and the delay module! It is a direct connection to the switch.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-09-2003, 12:52 AM   #5
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

I believe that the wiper control module is built into the the wiper motor unit. I would tend to believe the the wiper switch could be the culprit in this, especially after an accident. It would be very easy to hit the stalk and not realize it. A good hit could damage the switch enough to cause problems. But with out wiring diagrams or the car in front of me I would not rule anything out. If it is the control module then it is unfortunately time to replace the entire motor. Try Joey at

sales@6thplanetusedparts.com

if it comes down to having to replace it.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-09-2003, 02:53 PM   #6
RicksVue

2008 Astra XR

I guess it's time to pull the steering column apart.
Thanks for the help.

-Rick

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread