SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2010, 07:18 AM   #1
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2
Default General Sunroof Question

Question, please

Background:
I am preparing to drive South to purchase a good-looking replacement body for my late (assassinated) SC2.

The replacement body has a leaking Sunroof.
There are no photos of the headliner, so I assume it is black with watermarks and mold

I’d cut the roof off and install a replacement roof panel before I’d caulk a Sunroof closed.

Question:
Am I getting into a Sunroof Nightmare, or is a Saturn Sunroof completely repairable to like-new condition?
Other than the hole, is the Headliner different than a car without a Sunroof? Is a replacement Headliner available?

I have the FSM and already read the Sunroof section twice.
(I originally wanted a Sunroof, but when ordering, opted out of the Electronics Nightmare Package)

Last edited by bumpdraft; 12-10-2010 at 07:25 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #2
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2
Default Re: General Sunroof Question

The sunroof itself is designed to "leak" around the weather strip.. What is more than likely leaking is the drain tubes.
If you search here, you will find a schematic as to where the drains are. Drop the headliner and blow all the lines out, and it should be fine.

I cut the strainer ends off all my drains on my 96 and have not had a single drip in the cabin since. I did not seal the sunroof, I used it every day in the summer.

Guarantee its just the drains.. If they are clear, the drip channels will carry away all the water that gets past the seal.

1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2
2003 VUE 2.2L

+1 The sunroof won't be a problem to get the leaks fixed. Getting it to operate might be a problem.

The sunroof headliners are a little different, aside from the hole and the map light/switch, they have velcro around the hole that helps to secure them. I get mine out of the junkyard used and have good luck. Some people just pull the fabric off their old one and go to Joanne fabrics and buy replacement fabric.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShawnV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

OK, Thanks all!
SunRoof is a go!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #5
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1

how do you take off the sliding bit on the sunroof that covers the sunroof? I want to take it out so i can put suede on it so it matches the rest of the headliner

'02 SL1.414213562^2, Deebs ftw

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AlexofNazareth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AlexofNazareth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AlexofNazareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:28 PM   #6
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexofNazareth View Post
how do you take off the sliding bit on the sunroof that covers the sunroof? I want to take it out so i can put suede on it so it matches the rest of the headliner
If my memory serves me correct, you would just drop down the headliner, and there are 4 tabs that hold the sun shade in place, and it can come out that way.
I never actually removed mine when I swapped my sunroof, but that appeared to be how it was made..

1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
bumpdraft
Master Member

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

This might be a New Question:

Has anyone ever put a new Roof Panel on their Sat? I'm seroius.

Looking at parts, a Roof panel is $356 + shipping = about $400 + paint.
Compare that to the cost of a complete Sunroof Dr. replacement and a completely tattered headliner and sun shade I would try to fix/recover.

If I cut the roof panel off and use a new one, I'd at least have a good headliner and never have to worry about sunroof maint.

This is Michigan and not having a vent in the roof is not a big deal.

$332.50 + headliner and sun shade re-do vs. ~$400 + paint and a few tubes of window weld

...and I could sell the glass

Last edited by bumpdraft; 12-15-2010 at 07:05 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-15-2010, 07:28 PM   #8
moresaturn
moresaturn is on a distinguished road

1998 SC1

$150 for a ($100 if you return the module) rebuilt module from the one guy on here who has many happy customers (myself included). Approximately $30 for some fabric and headliner adhesive. Pick a price for your time (and possible a friend)...

I have parted out a SC2 and from the looks of, albeit I do not know 100% for sure, you can not take off the roof without taking the glass out. I think it would be in your best interest to fix the sunroof in your new to you car.

When clearing the drain tubes for your sunroof, if you used compressed air, you will hear a pop. It is okay, you just need to go into the kick panel and reconnect the tube to the major line which will exit the car.

A word to the wise about redoing a headline in an S-Car with a sunroof. Use liberal amounts of glue. I used a whole can which was about 16 oz. If I were to do it again, I would use 2 cans. The only droops I have is around the map light area. Take your time and you will be happy with the results.

1994 SL2 - 24 Hours of Lemons Racecar
1998 SC1 - 305K miles - dead
2001 SC1 - 349K miles and counting - 1 quart per 1K miles - stock engine
Just another OEM engineer...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to moresaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help moresaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
moresaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:58 AM   #9
bumpdraft
Master Member

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

^Thanks. You speak sanity.
All the glass would have to be removed. the windsield is cracked, but the rest is very good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #10
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2
2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by moresaturn View Post
$150 for a ($100 if you return the module) rebuilt module from the one guy on here who has many happy customers (myself included).
If you're talking about Jeff Weston he's out of the country and his rebuild modules are sold out. I got two of them. He even asked me to remove the video I did since he's not able to make any more at this time.

bump - $400 is what you could get another whole car for so I'm worried that you're dumping too much money into yours. What happens if it gets hit again? You might not recover your investment.

The sliding visor is removed by the little tabs, but I'm pretty sure you have to drop the whole module for it. I just did one in my 99 SC2. I drove around with no headliner until I could find one at the junkyard. I think your best bet might be to just replace or repair your headliner then close the sunroof and call it done. You can always buy a rebuilt sunroof module later, but your problem will be solved in the meantime.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShawnV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #11
bumpdraft
Master Member

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnV View Post
If you're talking about Jeff Weston he's out of the country and his rebuild modules are sold out. I got two of them. He even asked me to remove the video I did since he's not able to make any more at this time.

bump - $400 is what you could get another whole car for so I'm worried that you're dumping too much money into yours. What happens if it gets hit again? You might not recover your investment.
I paid (what I consider) top $ for a very nice Southern Body in Arkansas (and I don't mean our wiatress, Nicole, at Colton's Steak House & Grill in Marion!
We Northern Yankees melt at the sound of a cute Southern accent!) Did I really type that?

I can't get anything worth a dang around here period. All rusty. As nutty as I was in Rustoleum painting/undercoating the underside of mine, you can see all the spot welded seams that peeled open in the crash (assisanation) were about 50% rusted out.

Yes, I plan on dumping way too much into it. When I am finished, it will be a newcar
Between the two SC2s, I'm not lacking many parts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #12
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

The roof panel is both bolted and glued in place. Not an easy afternoon replacement. Low Saturn can explain further.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:27 AM   #13
bumpdraft
Master Member

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The roof panel is both bolted and glued in place. Not an easy afternoon replacement. Low Saturn can explain further.
To remove all the glass on the smashed car, I am considering one of these:
https://www.equalizerfusion.com/Prod...SZ1S1uKox0Nko=
From the videos, it looks like the glass falls out at the sight of one of ^these tools! (although the cost will eat into my tuna fish budget)

IF I could remove the roof on the smashed car...without wrecking it, maybe I'd get rid of the sunroof. Believe it or not, I tried to order a new roof and they're DISCONTINUED.

If Low Saturn has any advice...

Searching, I found this:
Roof swap anyone?
from jdwz28:
The roof is not just bolted on. It is also glued in with the same urethane as the glasses.
They are a nightmare to cut off with the studs that ALSO bolt the roof panel in place.

My intent was the same. "junk sunroofs, I want a solid roof!"
I attacked one at "Pick n Pull" the same color as my car several years ago thinking gravy train...

Well about 5 hours and 20 feet of piano wire in to getting the roof off after just breaking out the glasses and not removing them I called it quits.
I decided it would be easier to machine my own guides and repair the sunroofs in my three cars.
And that is how I started rebuilding sunroofs...

Last edited by bumpdraft; 12-19-2010 at 04:42 AM.. Reason: searching previous posts and not being lazy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-19-2010, 06:33 AM   #14
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

The tool the guy used to remove the 1/4 glass on my '95 SC1 looked 100% like a sawzall, that one looks more specalized. The "blades" that come in that kit would be useful though, no idea where to get 'em as I haven't yet found real steel cutting blades either. VT sucks.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:32 AM   #15
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC2

It isn't that big a deal to fix the sunroof leak. As has already been said, you simply need to use compressed air to blow out the 4 drains (one in each corner). I did that and replaced my headliner in a couple of hours. Much of that time was spent scraping the old bits of headliner/foam off the headliner shell.

I also completely removed my sunroof glass, removed the rubber seal, and sanded and repainted the frame around the glass prior to re-assembly. That also gives you a chance to completely clean and lubricate the moving parts of the whole assembly.

Best,

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts, but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. -Frank Herbert-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:26 AM   #16
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

As I discovered a window in the roof had limited applications I have never looked into this but I understand that there are companies that make fixed replacements for leaking factory sunroof installations and replacement headliners. These are custom jobs and far from cheap. Primary area where these are made is Elkhart, IN.

Urethane adhesive is difficult to cut and difficult to remove. I suspect that the Body Repair FSM has some words of wisdom and encouragement relating to removal and replacement and a reasonable time estimate for the job in the Time and Material guide.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:45 PM   #17
rowdydog
rowdydog has a spectacular aura aboutrowdydog has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line

Having built Saturns for 16 yrs, and working in paint repair there I can tell u it is difficult to cut off a roof, especially and old one, its like cutting glass out,
1st u have to remove the glass and usually it breaks, then the headliner, there are 6 nuts that hold roof while urethane dries, best way is to get a air knife with a 4 or 5 inch blade and start cutting, be prepared to sharpen the blade with fine file. I have done many in the plant when the urethane is soft not bad but a pain when hard.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rowdydog's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rowdydog reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rowdydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:50 AM   #18
bumpdraft
Master Member

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdydog View Post
Having built Saturns for 16 yrs, and working in paint repair there I can tell u it is difficult to cut off a roof, especially and old one, its like cutting glass out,
1st u have to remove the glass and usually it breaks, then the headliner, there are 6 nuts that hold roof while urethane dries, best way is to get a air knife with a 4 or 5 inch blade and start cutting, be prepared to sharpen the blade with fine file. I have done many in the plant when the urethane is soft not bad but a pain when hard.
Thanks!

Any advice for cutting around the 6 studs? I guess, be careful and go slow...

I bought a BTBWK10HD and am going to try to get the roof and all glass off the smashed SC2 (from Michigan). < Nothing to loose and spare glass will embolden me for cutting the SC2 from AR

It might be impossible to cut 13 year old sun-baked urethane from Arkansas...especially in a cold garage.
I will have to be very careful and bail out early if it looks like I will wreck something.

And good job building Saturns! I've said before I wish I had bought two and kept one in a plastic bag until now!

What did you use for a cutting lurcicant? BTB says to use water, but that is because the EPA is watching their every word.

Last edited by bumpdraft; 12-27-2010 at 08:05 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-28-2010, 08:13 AM   #19
bumpdraft
Master Member

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

for anyone interested, there is a BTBWK10HD+blades used over at:
helena(dot)craigslist(dot)org/tls/2109784334.html
For $275(CHEAP!)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-28-2010, 08:49 AM   #20
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Have had 0 issues with the rear passenger 1/4 glass replacement window. Came from a '95 SC1. Both cars were clearly VT cars. Paid $99 to have a pro do it for me. Kinda silly to pay $300+ for tools to do a one time job myself... lol

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote