SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
gsgmxm5
gsgmxm5 is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Default Battery Type Question: 2005 Ion

Battery type Question for my 2005 Ion 2.

I want to replace the battery - it's time, and i've run it dead more than once.

I can't find the battery anywhere but an obscure shop that sells AC/Delco parts - or Sears, who has one available for only $200 bucks.

Do I HAVE TO get the special "vent to the outside" expensive battery?

If "Yes": What might happen if I choose not to?

If "No": What are my options?

Thanks for your time, guys.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gsgmxm5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gsgmxm5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gsgmxm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Battery Type Question: 2005 Ion

YES, YOU HAVE TO GET THE VENTED BATTERY

thank you.

if you don't, get ready for the corrosive and explosive gasses inside your trunk 24/7. aircraft don't have this option until you get up in size and price, and trust me after having seen what not having a vented battery can do to metal, you want one. not to mention the VERY explosive (not gas vapor "explosive", really explosive) gasses building up in your trunk around lots of electronics (electronics spark).

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
YES, YOU HAVE TO GET THE VENTED BATTERY

thank you.
Now, with that said... you CAN find a compatible "vented" battery at regular prices (About $60 in my local market). You just might have a hard time finding them at the usual places. (Autozone,Advanced Auto, and Walmart for example last time I looked)

I'd gotten mine at Mill's Fleet Farm which is a Regional store chain and offers several "house branded" items including batteries. Alternativly, for maybe $100 I could have gotten an Exide vented battery from a smaller local shop that deals with specialty batteries (think Batteries Plus) and Alternators/Starters.

But for $60,extremely fresh stock, (one month old or less),and an excellent replacement policy... Fleet got my business.

When I'd started looking maybe two years ago. I'd checked at Fleet but I didn't see vented batteries. But, like you, when I was debating between a $100 battery, an the almost $200 ($180?) ACDELCO or some cheaper "unvented" model ... I had taken another closer look at Fleet (they had a sale on batteries)... I either had missed it or they'd changed design/stock and had probably 12 vented fresh batteries in my size.

So you might want to give a closer look at what is on the shelf locally... you might have overlooked what is right in front of you. I'd wasted probably a few weeks traveling all over looking for something I'd probably walked passed 3 or 4 times in that period.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:36 PM   #4
snakes
snakes has a spectacular aura aboutsnakes has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

I also have an 05 Ion and just replaced the battery this past year. You do need a vented battery and I actually wound up going through the dealership paying $170.00. Firestone and STS didnt even want to order one or even touch it for that matter. Had a hard time finding one and chose the dealership over sears.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to snakes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help snakes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
snakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:14 PM   #5
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakes View Post
Firestone and STS didnt even want to order one or even touch it for that matter. Had a hard time finding one and chose the dealership over sears.
I suppose everyone's market is different... but I'm surprised "vented" are really that rare. While I'm sure going with a repair shop is expensive... I'm surprised you couldn't find a shop/business that wouldn't carry vented batteries for less then dealership prices.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-09-2010, 11:56 PM   #6
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Interstate Batteries has a vented group 78 battery available. (and 75 for 03-04 IONs)

MT-78V which they list as suggested retail of $120.95 and "list" price of $145.95. (MT-75V $114.95/137.95)

My local Goodyear Tire Dealership cares Interstate... Not sure of their exact pricing/size availability/freshness... But Interstate is a popular aftermarket brand... You might find some shops carry it. (Check Interstate's Locate Store function)

I've also read that Group 78 Optima batteries also are provisioned with Vent ports... (Some will claim these batteries do not require vents but if it should off-gas some models do come with the ports... others do not. Compare.) While Optima batteries are fairly expensive it is right around the same price of AC Delco if you decide it's worth it...

I've no experience with them... Might only be worth it if a "traditional" battery isn't sufficient for your needs.

Good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-10-2010, 01:24 AM   #7
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I'm surprised vented batteries are so hard to find, many vehicles have their batteries in the trunks, or under the rear seat. all of these cars should use a vented battery.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-10-2010, 04:49 AM   #8
Diesel_Clatter
Diesel_Clatter is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Advance auto parts here has the following...

AutoCraft Gold Battery, Group Size 100, 770 CCA
Part No: 100-1
CCA: 770; OE Group 78; OE CCA Rating: 600; Battery is vented to outside of vehicle; Installation may take up to 30 minutes; Battery located in trunk
Warranty: 36 MO.FREE REPL 84 MO.PRORATED

Price is 136.99 but I can order it online for store pickup and use the BIG40 code for $40 off. Seems like a decent deal after looking at this thread.

Great Minds Think alike...

So do we!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Diesel_Clatter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Diesel_Clatter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Diesel_Clatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:10 AM   #9
johnk
johnk is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-3 Sedan

Autozone in Columbus carries one for the 2005 ION

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par.../N-jmswqZacy27

99.00 plus core deposit brings it to 112.00. Battery is vented.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to johnk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help johnk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #10
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Diesel_Clatter,

Sounds good... (especially with the coupon) Just be sure to verify the battery is actually a vented model.

Same goes with Autozone. Back when I had been looking... both sites suggested on their sites that Battery X was "Vented"... But when I inspected the Batteries on the Selves they weren't. Had them check the computer and it did have that conflicting information for the models available on the shelf.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-10-2010, 11:47 PM   #11
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Snakes,

You mentioned swapping out your battery recently. Did your 2005 ION have the group 75 battery?

I just got back from local K-Mart and the Die-Hard guide book mentioned that the group size changed in 2006. Yet the guide was extremely generous in providing several different models (both 75 and 78) that it said fit in both early/late 06 models... as I don't think the battery "strap" is actually compatible for swapping group sizes... others should confirm which battery they have/need for a model. I recall some postings of certain shops using 75 in the newer IONs because conflicting guides didn't show the change over. Guides like this Die-Hard Catalog certainly weren't helpful in keeping things straight... and might cause more head aches later. I seem to recall a post were the shop had left off the vent tubes because they didn't fit the over/under sized battery which didn't make the owner very happy.

In my earlier posts I'd assumed 2005 included the 78 "upgrade"...

Anyway K-Mart (Sears) has Vented Die Hards (75 and 78 groups) ranging from $85-$110 (+ core exchange). This includes Regular/Silver? (1.5y free replacement) or Gold (3 year free replacement) models.

The regular 75 group Diehard was $85 and I think the $110 model was a 78 Gold. The 75 Gold and 78 Regular/Silver were I think $90 and $100. (SE WI 12-10-2010)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-11-2010, 05:15 PM   #12
boze
boze is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.4L
2005 VUE 2.4L

I'm just to replace the batteries in both my 2005 Vues. I actually never even considered that it had to be "vented". When you go online to any site, Autozone, StS, Pep-Boys, Sears, etc....., their "select your car" option does not bring up any "vented" battery that I'm aware of......Couldn't I just go with the option they offer after they enter your yr, make & model???....

Saturn SL2
Saturn L300 Wagon
Saturn 2005 Vue Grey
Saturn 2005 Vue Royal Blue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to boze's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help boze reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
boze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:44 PM   #13
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

you have a vue, this is the ion section, only batteries kept in the vehicle need to be vented. if the vue's battery is inside the vehicle, it needs to be vented, just like the ion's. no, you cannot assume the options given by ANY place are correct, you have to know what is right for YOUR vehicle.

thank you.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #14
boze

2005 VUE 2.4L
2005 VUE 2.4L

GOT IT!!!!

My mistake, I realized afterward what section I was in......NO need to YELL...

Saturn SL2
Saturn L300 Wagon
Saturn 2005 Vue Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to boze's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help boze reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-11-2010, 08:31 PM   #15
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by boze View Post
I'm just to replace the batteries in both my 2005 Vues. I actually never even considered that it had to be "vented". When you go online to any site, Autozone, StS, Pep-Boys, Sears, etc....., their "select your car" option does not bring up any "vented" battery that I'm aware of......Couldn't I just go with the option they offer after they enter your yr, make & model???....
If you read my previous post(s) on this subject I think you'll notice that some stores "have" Vented batteries (but don't mention it) others "don't have" them (but claim they are vented in the description).

Basically it all comes down to what information is being used to determine the "correct" battery for your vehicle. I could walk into a shop and say I need a Group 75 battery... but NOT get one that works (not only because of the vent issue) but because of required CCA and/or even Terminal type(s).

In many ways you need to realize that just because a catalog SAYS part X is correct... means nothing. Catalogs can be wrong. As I already mentioned the Sear's Die Hard Catalog I looked at yesterday was EXTREMELY lax in providing exact details of what the ION models require AND suggested SEVERAL of it's batteries as being suitable. But in reality half of them probably wouldn't be the "correct" replacement.

I'd guarantee that if you didn't know before hand what group size, CCA, and terminal types you needed that Catalog would provide you with a "vented" battery (at least for 75/78 group ones listed for the ION)... but might incorrectly suggest several batteries that wouldn't work for various reasons.

A similar argument could be said about Automotive Tires. Just because a tire is the correct "size" doesn't mean it meets the other vehicle requirements. Weight and Speed Ratings being two of the most important. Along with that if you've ever looked at TireRack.com 's "survey" data were they give ratings to each tire... You'll notice how widely tires range in price and function. So you really should do your homework when getting replacement parts for a vehicle.

Just buying what "they suggest" isn't always the best option. (When there are so many options available.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-11-2010, 08:35 PM   #16
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by boze View Post
GOT IT!!!!

My mistake, I realized afterward what section I was in......NO need to YELL...
I wasn't yelling. I put it in big type hoping you would read it. and you did, so mission accomplished.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-11-2010, 09:24 PM   #17
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

2006 ion2 takes his battery replacement seriously.

With that said... if your Vue has the venting hardware (regardless of placement) I'd recommend using it. Just because it might "work" in a different configuration... doesn't mean there wasn't a reason for the original design/requirement...

Good luck. I think you'll find a battery that meets the vehicle's needs for a reasonable price... it might just take extra time on the phone or on the road to locate it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-11-2010, 10:03 PM   #18
boze

2005 VUE 2.4L
2005 VUE 2.4L

Well, thanks for all the advice, ..really. As I mentioned above, I was in the wrong section, but the information is always useful regardless. I just did a search for "battery-replacement" and that was the 1st thread to come up, so I posted my question of sorts. Since placing it, I went down & removed that battery cover to look at the factory batt & it was a standard, side-termial one,...no vent. So I drove to a few local places and found one that meets my needs for a little over $70:00.

Saturn SL2
Saturn L300 Wagon
Saturn 2005 Vue Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to boze's Reputation
Old 12-11-2010, 10:48 PM   #19
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

no, lgodave, I type things, and often you would think by reading what follows that I never typed anything.

to boze, only batteries inside the vehicle need to be vented, BUT every battery inside the vehicle needs to be vented. where is your battery?

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-11-2010, 11:37 PM   #20
boze

2005 VUE 2.4L
2005 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post

to boze, only batteries inside the vehicle need to be vented, BUT every battery inside the vehicle needs to be vented. where is your battery?
It's in the engine compartment, just above the driver-side lamp assembly, in a heat-resist plastic-like cover.

Saturn SL2
Saturn L300 Wagon
Saturn 2005 Vue Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to boze's Reputation