SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
frankt
frankt is on a distinguished road

Default Starter Interrupt Relay

I think my 1997 SL2 May have this problem.
No previous problems but today (20 degrees) it acted as if it had a dead battery. I put in a new battery and it cranked right up. A few hours of sitting and not cranking.

I checked all the fuses and cleaned all the battery connections.

Lights and radio works, remote FOBs do nothing, won't lock doors or open trunk. Tried two different ones with fresh batteries.

Searching on here, I discovered the Starter Interrupt Relay and it sounds like that could be it.

Where exactly is it, what does it look like and where are these pins 30 & 87 they talk about jumpering to check it?
I sure would appreciate any help on this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to frankt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help frankt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
frankt is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: Starter Interrupt Relay

Pin 30 and 87 in the relay socket, they are marked either on the socket or relay. It is in the wiring up under the dash between th e right hand side of the column and the left center console edge. It is just a small rectangular lump in the wiring. It is about the size of the DRL relay with a socket. You can see it and reach it from underneath. It helps to drop the lower cover of the dash off though unless you are sufficiently flexible.

Sounds like an RKE issue and not a relay issue as the locks function independent of that relay.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
frankt

Thanks.

I did a search for RKE and came up blank.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help frankt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-07-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

There is a fuse for the thing. Check the BODY fuse.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #5
frankt

OK, getting smarter? by the minute. I did check and clean all the fuses and put a meter on the Body and lock fuses. All checked good.

More searching found a link to reprogram the RKE (Remote Keyless Entry) to never disable the starter. That will be the next step to try.

I also now know where and what the RKE and the Starter Interrupt relay and what it looks like so I have more to go on.
I also saw the video on repairing the starter if it comes to that but the fact that the Keyless Entry Fobs don't work either seems more of a RKE problem and supposedly 1997 was a bad year for the way they set up the system.

Thanks and I still welcome any ideas or past experiences.
Luckily this is a "save gas,run around car" and I can stand to let it sit to figure it out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-07-2010, 09:56 PM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

Thought it was only the '98's with that relay hacked in and the problem year?

This the link you found? "S" Series RKE Remote and Option Programing

Collection of S-Series info: "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5D8XfJgavxrdE5mcHBlMG5rbUU&usp=sharing"
3 ECTS pigtails, 1 ECTS FS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:01 PM   #7
frankt

I did find that one and also this one that says disabling will make it like a '96.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...trical+problem

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-07-2010, 10:20 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

RKE receives power from the CHIME fuse which is always hot. Have you noticed any odd behavior of the CHIME? The remotes do not function if the RKE does not have continuous power. Also note Dome lamp behavior. Both of these are powered from separate fuses but the source is F-5 on the black 68 way plug and it has been known to randomly fail at he connector. This condition is exacerbated by the presence of an aftermarket radio/headunit and/or miscellaneous chargers plugged into the cigarette lighter socket. The symptoms are a CHIME that does not function correctly and a dome lamp that does not light.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-07-2010, 11:49 PM   #9
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Thought it was only the '98's with that relay hacked in and the problem year?
'97-'99. '96 had RKE with no "security", and 2000-2002 got the beloved BCM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankt View Post
I did a search for RKE and came up blank.
A lot of these PHP-based forums take a powder on searches of three characters or less. Some actually tell you that in the result message, some actually do the search properly, and some, including saturnfans, just don't do nuthin'. There's probably a "forum about forums" out there somewhere, where some hopeless geek knows why.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:00 AM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The search routine ignores articles and it is sufficiently brain damaged that it also ignores all leading characters of 3 or less. It is not a PHP issue it is a vBulletin issue and it is also version dependent. Write your search so the first word has at least 4 letters and is not an article. For example <EGR leakage> will fail periodically but <leakage EGR> will not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #11
frankt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
RKE receives power from the CHIME fuse which is always hot. Have you noticed any odd behavior of the CHIME? The remotes do not function if the RKE does not have continuous power. Also note Dome lamp behavior. Both of these are powered from separate fuses but the source is F-5 on the black 68 way plug and it has been known to randomly fail at he connector. This condition is exacerbated by the presence of an aftermarket radio/headunit and/or miscellaneous chargers plugged into the cigarette lighter socket. The symptoms are a CHIME that does not function correctly and a dome lamp that does not light.
The dome light IS Not functioning correctly, that was one of the things I noticed along with the FOB not working. I had previously programmed the FOB to get rid of the alarm and simply work the doors and chirp on the second button push.

Even for Georgia, it is cold and I need it to heat up a little before I get back out there to check some more.
Thanks for all the great information.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

F-5 is a high probability as the source of the failure. Radio loses the presets also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-08-2010, 03:11 PM   #13
frankt

OK, My hands are frozen and my 64 year old back is twisted up like a pretzel but here is where I am.

Replaced the Chime and Body fuse, no difference.

I did determine the dome light will work if I move the switch to ON, but not with door opening.

Jumpered pins 30 and 87 and no difference. Chimes work, radio works, slight click when I turn the key.
FOBs are dead, trunk release and doors.

Wiggled wires on the back of the fuse box behind center panel. No help.

I found this link on the F-5, I will go there next after I warm up.

http://www.autocarepronews.com/Artic...n_startup.aspx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-08-2010, 03:29 PM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If the chime works then F-5 is OK. In the start disable relay jumper between C-1 and A-2 with the relay removed. Those are yellow wires. This will bypass the interlock. Now see if it will start. If not jumper out the clutch switch on the firewall jumper in the plug. If it does not crank then the starter is dead. Or you have dirty battery cables.

If you have an automatic this is a bit more complex....

Jumper the start interlock out at the ranges switch. It is the 2 wire gray connector with a pair of purple wires.

With the relay and switch jumpered it should crank.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #15
frankt

OldNuc, I really appreciate your patience through all this. I know it is like doing brain surgery over the phone.

OK, You lost me on the C-1 A-2, are we still talking about the 30 and 87 pins?

Yes, It is an automatic and exactly where do I find the ranges switch, is it in the same area?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-08-2010, 06:11 PM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

On the relay socket, hole C-1 and A-2, both yellow wires, jumper them together. Range switch is on the transmission against the firewall. Has 2 plugs, one which has only 2 purple wires and is gray. Disconnect it and jumper it. Now it should crank. If not it is new starter time.

The safety switch should allow the starter to crank in park or neutral. Try both positions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-17-2010, 02:08 PM   #17
frankt

Guys, I hate it when someone starts a thread and then jumps ship but believe me I am still on it.
Freezing temps and deer season has kept me from the car but here is the latest.

I jumped the switches as described in the post above. Nothing happened. This should mean a starter but right in the middle of my testing all the chimes quit.
Since it sounded like me to a bad battery even though it is new I had it tested.
It tested bad and I got a new battery. Still won't start but I have chimes again.

Key fobs are dead, this is the most puzzling thing to me. If it was just a bad starter, the fobs should work.
When I jump the #4 and #8 pins on the diagonal connector, nothing happens.

I am wondering if the RKE is killing the ignition somehow even though I have jumped the starter interrupt switch.

At this point, I will unlock the doors with the key for the rest of the Saturn's life if it would just start.

I am right before taking a sledge hammer to it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-17-2010, 02:25 PM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If you jumper between the yellow wires on the relay and then also jumper across the clutch or neutral switch it will crank unless the starter is shot. Or, the easy way is to get the car up in the air very securely and jumper between the big fat red wire on the starter and the small purple one. If it does not crank you need a new starter. You can perform the same test by connecting the positive lead to the purple terminal and the negative lead to the engine block then try the key. Should read 12v and if not you gave a power in starter circuit problem. That would be ignition switch, starter interlock relay, or clutch/neutral switch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-17-2010, 02:36 PM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The RKE will not kill the ignition.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-17-2010, 09:28 PM   #20
frankt

I thought the RKE was part of the security system that would not allow the car to start.
The very first problem I had was the fob would not unlock the doors. Then I noticed the dome light would not come on unless I moved the dome light switch.

I tried to put power to the purple wire today but I can't even see where it goes from underneath the car.

I wiggled the ignition switch and did everything I could try today. It makes a click when I turn the key to run, but that is all. radio, lights chimes all seem to work.
I might have a bad starter but the fobs not working, not even to open the trunk, and the dome not working keep making me think it is still in the security system somehow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!