SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2010, 11:14 PM   #1
nichitect
nichitect is on a distinguished road

Default Rusted fuel lines

Anyone else's fuel lines rust out in just one 8" section about a foot away from the rear tire at the clip?

This weekend as I was taking the wife's 03 4-door around for errands I could smell gas when I got out of the car I notched a puddle and gas dripping out to the ground. Brought it to my garage and it turns out both the vent and fuel lines are completely rusted through.

The strange part is the remainder of the line looks perfect...

So just as a heads up if you smell some gas, check your lines..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nichitect's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nichitect reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nichitect is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2010, 11:26 PM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Rusted fuel lines

it's not a common topic on the forums, so I'm going to say it's uncommon, if not unheard of.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:17 AM   #3
IMkenNY
IMkenNY is on a distinguished road

Do you live in a high use road salt environment?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IMkenNY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IMkenNY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IMkenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:29 PM   #4
nichitect
nichitect is on a distinguished road

The car has been in New England since she bought it brand new, and mostly southern New England. Salt use, but I wouldn't say highly salted....

There is a surprising amount of rust throughout this car actually, especially for a plastic car! Pop the hood and there is rust galore...

Yeah, my first clue that it was an uncommon issue was when the parts had to be ordered from GM and there was a 2-3 day lead time for them....

Anyway, here are some pics of the fuel lines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7103.jpg (141.7 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7099.jpg (160.8 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7096.jpg (132.9 KB, 182 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nichitect's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nichitect reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nichitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:41 AM   #5
Diesel_Clatter
Diesel_Clatter is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Thanks for the pics. I will have to try to spray that area with some Corrosion X or Fluid Film or Boeshield (anybody else have all three!?)

When I am working on the car I try to keep a spray can handy and squirt the rusty bits I see.

Great Minds Think alike...

So do we!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Diesel_Clatter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Diesel_Clatter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Diesel_Clatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:47 AM   #6
IMkenNY
IMkenNY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Clatter View Post
Thanks for the pics. I will have to try to spray that area with some Corrosion X or Fluid Film or Boeshield (anybody else have all three!?)

When I am working on the car I try to keep a spray can handy and squirt the rusty bits I see.
Out of the three products you mentioned above, what one do you like the most? Have you found these products available at a major autoparts retailer? (I dont own any of them but would like to procur at leat one of them)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IMkenNY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IMkenNY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IMkenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:33 PM   #7
Diesel_Clatter
Diesel_Clatter is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMkenNY View Post
Out of the three products you mentioned above, what one do you like the most? Have you found these products available at a major autoparts retailer? (I dont own any of them but would like to procur at leat one of them)
I currently like Corrosion X the best for treating existing rust. It is some mystery chemistry that is supposed to leave a thin film. I got mine with an internet order through Amazon from Corvette Central as they had the best price at the time. It seems the most agressive/penetrating of the three for existing rust.

I use the Fluid Film more for lubrication of things like my manual transmission shift linkages and the steering shaft joint. It is lanolin based and does not contain much solvents. It stays liquid over time and creeps to keep a surface coated. It is probably also good for preventing/treating rust. I bought three cans of Fluid Film on ebay.

Boeshield is good as well. I got mine from Mcmaster Carr. It is primarily paraffin wax dissolved in some solvent and leaves a waxy film. I had problems with the spray cans leaving large quantities of product stranded in the can. I have a jar full of Boeshield I rescued from a dead spray can that I can brush on things.

I think they are all three good products and wish I really knew which one is best. I do think the Fluid Film is probably the most benign of the three with regards to contact with plastics/rubber because of the low solvent content.

Great Minds Think alike...

So do we!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Diesel_Clatter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Diesel_Clatter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Diesel_Clatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
phillthy
phillthy is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

the lines on my 03 rusted out in the same spot as the pictures.. ended up cutting that section out and replaced it with fuel injection hose and 2 clamps on each side. been like that for a year now and its holding up fine!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phillthy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phillthy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
phillthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:11 PM   #9
Bill Carey
Bill Carey is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan
2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Have 03 Ion 2 and i just had the same thing happen with mine. Never heard of fuel line rusting and neither did my mechanic. Only have 105K and really did not expect this for a car made of plastic and sold in the Northeast with a "never rust" sales incentive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bill Carey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bill Carey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bill Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #10
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
Never heard of fuel line rusting and neither did my mechanic. Only have 105K and really did not expect this for a car made of plastic.
Where did your Mechanic hale from? Desert SW? Unfortunately Saturn never did achieve making a Car out of Plastic. Only the polymer outer panels were plastic. All the metals was/is susceptible to rusting and oxidizing.

I've got several spots under the hood that are showing signs of rust. One are in particular does seem particularly exposed to moisture and yet it rusts... If that is the case, I'm sure there are plenty of places on the undercarriage of my 2003 ION-3 that aren't fairing well in the WI winters here.

Next time I'm getting it serviced I'll have them look at it's Fuel Line condition. I've had my two previous vehicle's Gas Tanks need replacement and some Fuel Line attention... so it isn't something new to me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:51 PM   #11
opit
opit is on a distinguished road

Surprise my 04 saturn sprung same leak. recall number gm 03068. nhtsa campaign id # 04v003000. have no idea of either but states in the year 03 to 04 2.2l engine had fuel filters premature rust out on the ion series. 80000 miles on mine it happened. call saturn and found out my vin was just 50,000 numbers out of recall range so oil them up boys and girls.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to opit's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help opit reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
opit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #12
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

I'll have to check that out as I've developed a fuel line leak recently. I had the original filter changed under recall/warranty (around 2004).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-02-2011, 07:34 AM   #13
kaviation
Advanced Member
kaviation is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Same issue here. I noticed it about a year ago, been spraying it down with KROIL since, just a matter of time before they go.

Another issue on mine is the brake line coming out of the ABS pump/module. The ones that are painted look o.k., but the ones out of the bottom look pretty bad, they do sit lower, so I would imagine that thats where most of the salt lays, so I guess it took its tool on that line as well. Anyone else ever check their brake lines?

TWM Short Shifter
Progress springs with Cobalt SS suspension
Vibrant cat-back exhaust system!
RK Sport Fiberglass Hood

LONG LIVE THE BEECH 1900D

I ENJOY WHAT I DO- I DO WHAT I ENJOY

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kaviation's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kaviation reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kaviation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:15 AM   #14
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviation View Post
Same issue here. I noticed it about a year ago, been spraying it down with KROIL since, just a matter of time before they go.
Has the KROIL been used as a preventive for additional rust and/or to possibly reduce leakage? Might have to try it either way, but would like more info. on what you or others have tried for short/long term care during a leak OR as a preventative after a fix.

RE: Recall

From what I read of the GM Recall # I guess the Fuel Line Rusting out isn't covered... the filter had already been replaced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-02-2011, 11:41 AM   #15
kaviation
Advanced Member

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave View Post
Has the KROIL been used as a preventive for additional rust and/or to possibly reduce leakage? Might have to try it either way, but would like more info. on what you or others have tried for short/long term care during a leak OR as a preventative after a fix.

RE: Recall

From what I read of the GM Recall # I guess the Fuel Line Rusting out isn't covered... the filter had already been replaced.

Not sure of the exact chemestry here, but I do know ,it's temporary it may,. help slow down any additional formation, but the surface is already rusted, and nothing can stop it now. Unfortunately rust is like a cancer for metals, gotta grind it all the way out.

I did use the KROIL for my intermediate steering shaft which freed it up quite a bit. I had a stiff steering issue.

TWM Short Shifter
RK Sport Fiberglass Hood

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kaviation reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-02-2011, 01:27 PM   #16
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Yeah. KROIL isn't a miracle substance... but I was thinking someone might have posted their personal "bubble gum" fixes/experiences. Like, maybe some "fuel resistant" Duct Tape and some Rubberized Underbody coating(?) for example. Might be messy during a repair (so keep the "cut" areas clean) and cause unexpected issues if left unfixed too long. But it might reduce the need for a rushed/expensive fix.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-06-2011, 01:28 AM   #17
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Might be time to try out my "Bubble Gum" fix. Actually getting a noticable puddle now. (But not particularly wet/heavy... So that is good at least.)

Think/Hope I just need a few 3/8" Compression fittings/Unions, Several lengths of Steel Fuel Line, and some patience. (Do all the Saturn IONs from 2003-2007 use the same size/type of Fuel Line? Ideally I'd prefer replacing with something that isn't going to rust... But I suspect splicing in Nylon or Aluminum Fuel Line is a No Go. Nylon maybe because of high pressure and possible degrading later? Aluminum for, I'm not sure, Ethanol compatibility(?) and no fitting adapters? Will have to check at the parts store.)

Biggest issue I'm worried about is safely cutting/prepping the lines after pulling the fuse on Fuel Pump to release pressure. Would hate to cause a worse leak.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-09-2011, 03:51 AM   #18
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Mechanic patched in some fresh steel fuel line where it had rusted out.

Will probably coat down the remaining rusty bits with some WD-40 (etc.) to help keep the rest of the line(s) in better health longer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-09-2011, 10:32 AM   #19
kaviation
Advanced Member

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave View Post
Mechanic patched in some fresh steel fuel line where it had rusted out.

Will probably coat down the remaining rusty bits with some WD-40 (etc.) to help keep the rest of the line(s) in better health longer.
I've been thinking about coating them with a corrosion preventative, but it's probably too late. Something that needs done when new.

When I replace mine, I'll do it then.

TWM Short Shifter
RK Sport Fiberglass Hood

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-09-2011, 11:13 PM   #20
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviation View Post
I've been thinking about coating them with a corrosion preventative, but it's probably too late. Something that needs done when new.

When I replace mine, I'll do it then.
Haven't had a chance to see how much was repaired. But when I saw it earlier before I had it fixed... it was basically that back section (around the Driver's Side Wheel to the Fuel Filter) that didn't seem to be taking the Road Debris/Salt/Water Test very well.

Personally I would have just swapped out the two lines from the Filter to just forward of the Wheel. (Probably gets plenty of spray from the Rear Wheels and relative openness of those areas.) The rest I think will be just fine with a little TLC from the WD-40 every once and a while.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!