SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
cola
cola is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE
1996 SL
Default Trunk Leak On All 3 Saturn's!!!

I can't figure out where this leak is coming from. It's in the same spot on all 3 of our cars. We have a '96 SL1, '98 SL2, and a '99 SL2 and the leak is in the same spot. I've done alot of searching and I can't find anything pertaning to our SL's. I know the coups and wagons are know for some leaking in the trunk, but I have no idea where it is coming from.

I've even put both back seats down and had a helper take the hose and spray the car all around the trunk and rear window and I didn't see anything.

Thanks,
David

Here are a couple picture's of where the leak is. There is no rust, it's just dirty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0113.JPG (194.9 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0114.jpg (43.5 KB, 183 views)

2009 Aura XE 2.4
2004 Vue 3.5 AWD
1999 SL2 Auto
1998 SL2 5-Speed------SOLD
1996 SL1 5-Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cola's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cola reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cola is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2010, 08:05 PM   #2
droveavolvoonce
droveavolvoonce is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
1993 SC2
Default Re: Trunk Leak On All 3 Saturn's!!!

I've ended up with a similar situation in my 1995 SC2. I think I've read that either the seam sealer is failing under the rear quarter panels or the trunk is otherwise not sealing properly in some fashion.

This is an issue I really want to track down and resolve come next spring (along with the persistent water under my passenger carpet).

-daVo

1995 SC2 Plum 4-Disc 5SPD $1495 2.17.10 (111K to present)
1993 SC2 Silver 4-Disc Auto $1500 8.2007 to 2.2010 (195K-ish JY R.I.P. 5/7/10)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to droveavolvoonce's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help droveavolvoonce reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
droveavolvoonce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
cola

2009 AURA XE
1996 SL

I guess we've lucked out and only have the water in the trunk. But it still is irritating! I just can't figure it out.

2009 Aura XE 2.4
2004 Vue 3.5 AWD
1999 SL2 Auto
1996 SL1 5-Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cola's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cola reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-30-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Does this link help?

http://saturnfans3.saturnfans.com/~s...d.php?t=155069

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:16 PM   #5
cola

2009 AURA XE
1996 SL

Thanks! I will have to check. When I looked under there I didn't see any rust, but there could be a pin hole allowing the water to get in there.

Once school is over for the winter I will have to pull all 3 of them a part and take a look.

2009 Aura XE 2.4
2004 Vue 3.5 AWD
1999 SL2 Auto
1996 SL1 5-Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cola's Reputation
Old 11-30-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
Cheyne
Cheyne will become famous soon enough

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by droveavolvoonce View Post
I've ended up with a similar situation in my 1995 SC2. I think I've read that either the seam sealer is failing under the rear quarter panels or the trunk is otherwise not sealing properly in some fashion.

This is an issue I really want to track down and resolve come next spring (along with the persistent water under my passenger carpet).

-daVo
In addition to the above thread for the trunk leak - Have you checked the fresh air intake/screen under the hood on the passenger's side below the cowl to see if it has become detached or is missing the screen?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
Cheyne
Cheyne will become famous soon enough

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cola View Post
Thanks! I will have to check. When I looked under there I didn't see any rust, but there could be a pin hole allowing the water to get in there.

Once school is over for the winter I will have to pull all 3 of them a part and take a look.
You may or may not see rust. The seam sealer goes bad over time, cracks (think many pin holes).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:37 PM   #8
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

I have a 1997 SW2 that's been a leaker in several spots in the cargo bay area over the years -- mostly the leaks have been found at weld points, such as the ones in the roof near the hinges. In these cases, the sealer sandwiched between or frosted on top of seams joining two steel sheets seems to fail at the 12 to 15 year mark. Perhaps this is GM's idea of "planned obsolescence", or maybe it's poor assembly quality or poor seam layout in the initial design. (in my case, the leaky seams were poorly thought through/reversed and cause leaks to drain *into the cargo area* vs. being shed off by gravity, like shingles on a roof)

If the pictures you posted are of the area behind the rear wheel wells, perhaps your problem is similar to my most recent set of leaks in the same area. On the SW2, there's a metal seam that runs diagonally down and to the side right behind the tail light. Try getting a friend to hose down your tail lights from above and the side near the trunk while you play Jimmy Hoffa in the trunk (with a small flashlight) see if you can get some water flowing in. Go for high water volume/no hose sprayer vs. force.

You may have to feel around in the cavity behind the tail light to find the leaky seam in question -- it's not obvious.

If that's the case, seal it up from both sides -- inside and out. I used (clear) silicone caulk and worked it into the seam with my fingers and spread it around. I removed the rear tail lights and loosened the rear exterior fenders a wee bit to gain access to the offending seam. While you're in there, you might as well spread the silicone love around on all the other seams in the wheel well area. These haven't caused problems for me -- yet, anyway.

I intended to take some pics of the latest leak repair 2 weekends ago, but with didn't want to get silicone all over the camera.

Let us know where you end up finding YOUR leaks, since one attribute about these cars seems to be consistency that others can profit from or commiserate over.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:03 PM   #9
hotrod205
hotrod205 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

It's hard to tell in that photo but it looks like it may be leaking around the wiring grommet just below the vent or the nearby seam. When you are driving down the (wet) road that spot is getting blasted by water coming off the back tire. Try having the friend spray upwards from under the car behind that wheel and see if it is coming in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0114.jpg (43.8 KB, 99 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hotrod205's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hotrod205 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hotrod205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:01 AM   #10
cola

2009 AURA XE
1996 SL

Thanks for the replies!

I thought it was coming through that rubber oring to, but it gets water in there even if the car was sitting over night.

hholbein--I never thought about the tail lights. I will have to take a look.

Once I figure out what is wrong, I will post some pictures of where the leak is and how it was fixed.

2009 Aura XE 2.4
2004 Vue 3.5 AWD
1999 SL2 Auto
1996 SL1 5-Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cola's Reputation
Old 12-01-2010, 02:58 PM   #11
Kaervak
Kaervak is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

I have the exact same issue going on with my 99 SL2. In my case, the leak is coming from that plastic rectangular piece on the driver's side of the trunk wall. It's a very slow trickle so it's hard to see unless the car has been exposed to water for extended periods. I've known that's been the spot for a while, and with the past few days of continuious rain we've had here it's been very easy to spot. There's not much rain forecast for the next few days for us, but if it does rain for an entire day pop open your trunk and take a good look at that plastic piece, there should be a very small trickle coming from the bottom of it.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we're free to do anything

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaervak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaervak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kaervak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:20 PM   #12
jsevinsk
jsevinsk is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaervak View Post
In my case, the leak is coming from that plastic rectangular piece on the driver's side of the trunk wall.
Mine too. What is that piece? Some sort of vent? It has a rubber seal around it that's coming out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jsevinsk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jsevinsk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jsevinsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:14 PM   #13
Tommie
Advanced Member
Tommie will become famous soon enough

1996 SL1
2002 SL1

My 02 SL1 seeps from that rectangular thing too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tommie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tommie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:53 AM   #14
mattelderca
mattelderca will become famous soon enough

1998 SC1
1996 SL

Pulling the quarter panels is easy.
While they are off it is a real good time to check all the grommets and plugs that are under there. There are many plastic plugs that can't be seen from the inside, some of mine (that was my thread linked) were wrinkled when installed and could have also leaked. If you look at the pictures you will see some large rectangular openings, those have the plastic fillers installed. I removed them, cleaned them, and resealed them with a good grade caulk.
If you want a leak proof car and plan on keeping it for a while, this is one of the best rust preventative measure you can take. Also, in hotter climates I would think that those grommets and plugs could degrade and fail.

2000 SL1 freebie, my sons DD
1998 SC1 still running, FOR SALE cheap!
1996 SL, GONE but not forgotten
2005 Generic Silver Minivan (Kia Sedona)
2009 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattelderca's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattelderca reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattelderca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #15
bendorfold
bendorfold is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsevinsk View Post
Mine too. What is that piece? Some sort of vent? It has a rubber seal around it that's coming out.
IIRC they are Passive Air Vents. I'm sure there is a regulation requiring that the air inside the passenger compartment gets changed, I'm quessing for health reasons.

http://exposurescience.org/pub/repri...r_Vehicles.pdf

Plus they help with A/C circulation/operation.

1996 SL2, 5-speed, 155,638 miles (149,600 when purchased), Nationwide Emission

Last edited by bendorfold; 09-25-2011 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: link

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bendorfold's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bendorfold reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bendorfold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #16
jsevinsk

2001 SC2
2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattelderca View Post
Pulling the quarter panels is easy.
It was easy until I saw two of these fasteners on the passenger's side rear quarter panel. What is it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jsevinsk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #17
jsevinsk

2001 SC2
2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsevinsk View Post
It was easy until I saw two of these fasteners on the passenger's side rear quarter panel. What is it?
Never mind... those aren't supposed to come out. I got the panel off and found where it's leaking.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-26-2011, 08:54 AM   #18
mattelderca

1998 SC1
1996 SL

Where? Inquiring minds want to know!

2009 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mattelderca reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:59 AM   #19
jsevinsk

2001 SC2
2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattelderca View Post
Where? Inquiring minds want to know!
The exact same place as yours.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=155069

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-26-2011, 09:12 AM   #20
mattelderca

1998 SC1
1996 SL

I went over all the sealer and what was still good I painted over with rust paint.
That should keep everything good under there for a while.

2009 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!