SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2016, 08:33 PM   #41
C152
C152 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
Default Re: The Ultimate Tire Replacement thread

Hi all,

Just would like some confirmation. I have P205/55R16's on steelies, I can get P215/50R17's on cool alloy rims. I believe I'm within the 4% max.

Kind Regards,
C152
2008 Saturn 5dr XE (Opelized) Astra
2008 Saturn 3dr XR (to be Opelized) - OK, it's my daughter's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to C152's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help C152 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
C152 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2016, 12:23 AM   #42
nicolas_p
nicolas_p will become famous soon enoughnicolas_p will become famous soon enough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by C152 View Post
Hi all,

Just would like some confirmation. I have P205/55R16's on steelies, I can get P215/50R17's on cool alloy rims. I believe I'm within the 4% max.

You would be better off running 225/45/17 on alloys, that would give you a wider contact patch and a little bit better ride overall. If you want the slightly narrower tire the 215/50/17 would work as well

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:59 PM   #43
dalco450
dalco450 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Does someone can post pictures with 225/45R18?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dalco450's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dalco450 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dalco450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:21 PM   #44
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalco450 View Post
Does someone can post pictures with 225/45R18?
My summer tires are that size, but they are on aftermarket rims. My winters tires are on my OEM 17's. The 17's were as large as you could get on the 5-door. The factory 18's only came as an option on the 3 door.

Drives: 2014 Volt, 2015 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emg77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emg77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:24 PM   #45
dalco450
dalco450 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Thank you EMG! Very nice!
What are your wheel's specs? Offset? They look like 19's...
Any rubbing with that setup?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dalco450's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dalco450 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dalco450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:07 PM   #46
nicolas_p
nicolas_p will become famous soon enoughnicolas_p will become famous soon enough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

Here's my summer wheel setup

If you look at my gallery there lots of pictures of them on my car. There's absolutely no issues with rubbing. Roman has 235/40/18 with spacers and those are good too

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-05-2016, 07:56 AM   #47
maschinenbauer
maschinenbauer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

I have driven 1 year on a set of Kumho Ecsta PA31 on the stock 16in steelies. They are a great tire for the money! I was cross-shopping against the Continental DWS and ended up with these. I actually bought them on Amazon for <$350 a set, then paid the local tire shop another $50 to mount and balance.

Overall they are GREAT economy tires that act like performance all-seasons. They handle way better than the Goodyear LS and seem to be wearing very slowly. They have a very aggressive tread for an all-season, so they are monsters in the snow. I trust them after two Midwest winters.

Great value, highly recommend.

'08 Astra XE 5-speed
'72 Chevrolet El Camino
'31 Ford Model A pickup

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to maschinenbauer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help maschinenbauer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
maschinenbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 12:54 AM   #48
Solar0987
Solar0987 is on a distinguished road

2008 saturn astra xe 5 door
205/55/16 steelies with goodyear tires. they were meh..
225/40/18 milestar932 I love these tires..
Wife has kuhmo escta on her aura they don't grip very well in the rain.. Kinda scary.. There only 3 months old also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Solar0987's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Solar0987 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Solar0987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:02 AM   #49
AutoX65Corsa
AutoX65Corsa is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I am getting ready to replace my well worn 215/45-18 Continental ExtremeContact DWS which have been great. I have driven my 3dr XR "spiritedly" for the last 50k+ miles, easily taking curves at double the posted cautionary speeds, and while they have been great in any weather condition, they have really proven their worth in the unpredictable Missouri winters.

I am looking at the latest version of the same tire, the DWS 06, and have considered going wider. Has anyone tried 235's on the stock 18's? The 235/40 is closer in rolling diameter to my 215/45 than either the 225/40 or 225/45 and I was concerned about the increased size of the 225/45 reducing the acceleration/passing power of the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AutoX65Corsa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AutoX65Corsa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AutoX65Corsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:47 PM   #50
velocast
velocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura about

Mi original post on this issue was on 01/29/2011. That was the time before I started to commute from home to work every day. I commute 80 miles round trip, mostly heavy traffic highway. To get into the quiet community where I live, I have to drive about 2 miles on a quiet road. When snow falls usually the highway is dry, but the road always is covered with snow. So, for this application, I need a good all season tire.

I had the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tire. To me this is a cheap non winter radial tire. I don't understand people who throw flowers to that thing. My Astra went straight forward when I was turning an snowing curve. That thing even can't make an icier slope of 20 degrees angle e.g. can't get into my garage. It goes little bit then slides backward.

After that, I did purchase the PureContact with Ecoplus Technology. Right since you seat and drive you feel the difference. I love it! The PureContact is a "superior" all season tire in comparison to that! In summer, when I was going down on curved merging ramp at about 40-50 mph more than the legal sign, I feel the tire glued the ground. Wow! Now at about 50K miles on it, I am more than happy. It may have 2-3 years more to go. People say it is a noisier tire. Any how all cars make noise.

Other, there is one tire that "So, it does too." People say it is a pretty good looking tire with a fatty side wall. That is the General: AltiMAX RT43 all season e.g. price wise for the 225/45-18 is only $130 each.

I accordance with the reviews here is my all seasons suggestions:

General: AltiMAX RT43 (H or V Speed Rated) $130 each
Continental: PureContact with EcoPlus Technology $160 each
Pirelli: Cinturato P7 All Season Plus $180 each

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to velocast's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help velocast reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
velocast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:41 PM   #51
C152

2008 Astra XE

Hi all,

Need help. Can I put my 5dr 205/55R16 winter tires mounted on steelies on my daughter's 225/40R18 originally shod 3dr? Ie, will the rims clear the calipers? If yes, will I have to reprogram the TPMS?

Kind Regards,
C152

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to C152's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help C152 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2016, 09:52 PM   #52
nicolas_p

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by C152 View Post
Hi all,

Need help. Can I put my 5dr 205/55R16 winter tires mounted on steelies on my daughter's 225/40R18 originally shod 3dr? Ie, will the rims clear the calipers? If yes, will I have to reprogram the TPMS?
Yes the 16" wheels and tires will fit properly and the TPMS won't need any programming to be learned onto the new car. I've had 16" rims on my 3dr xr with the same specs and I'm going back to those this winter to park my car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-20-2016, 09:24 PM   #53
C152

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolas_p View Post
Yes the 16" wheels and tires will fit properly and the TPMS won't need any programming to be learned onto the new car. I've had 16" rims on my 3dr xr with the same specs and I'm going back to those this winter to park my car
Hi Nicolas_p,

Thank you. Quite a relief.

Kind Regards,
C152

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to C152's Reputation
Old 02-26-2017, 02:42 AM   #54
NJastra
NJastra is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJastra View Post
Stock: 225-40-18 Pirelli Summer Only (about 33,000 miles and replaced due to dry rot developing)

Replacement: 225-40-18 Continental Extreme Contact DWS (All Seasons)

I am very satisfied with the look of the tires. I am even more satisfied with the increase in comfort with the ride which was not entirely expected. I waited a little over 1,000 miles to post this so that I can get a better idea of how the tire performs. Originally, and probably due to the tires not being broken in and still a bit slick, I didn't think they grabbed the ground as well as the Pirelli's. Now that I have put some miles on them, I still agree that the ride quality has improved (very happy ) and they perform pretty good as well. I still think that the Pirelli's grip the ground better, altho I don't exactly have proof of that but I felt more confident with the Pirelli's. The steering also feels slightly less tight as well.

Anywho, I definitely recommend this set of tires as a very good replacement option for those of us who have to deal with ALL seasons. Ironically enough, I haven't had the opportunity to drive in snow because it's been a NICE winter!
So here I am again getting a new set of tires. Just an update, I still have the above mentioned tires on my car which replaced the stock tires at 33,000 miles. I can't believe I currently have over 97,000 miles on the car and with these same tires! I would recommend them in a heartbeat. I am looking to replace with the following in the next month or so (maybe sooner if I can). It doesn't seem like Tire Rack has these same tires so I will be likely getting:

Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06
225/40/18

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...r&autoModClar=

-Jon-

3 dr XR, Twilight Blue, 5 speed manual, 18" 5-star rims, Leather trim package, Heated seats, VXMMI (Advanced Audio)

1987 Z28 - modded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NJastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NJastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NJastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:28 PM   #55
JFS
JFS is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJastra View Post
So here I am again getting a new set of tires. Just an update, I still have the above mentioned tires on my car which replaced the stock tires at 33,000 miles. I can't believe I currently have over 97,000 miles on the car and with these same tires! I would recommend them in a heartbeat. I am looking to replace with the following in the next month or so (maybe sooner if I can). It doesn't seem like Tire Rack has these same tires so I will be likely getting:

Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06
225/40/18

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...r&autoModClar=
If you have not pushed the button on your TireRack.com purchase, consider a look at https://www.tirebuyer.com/ to see if you might do any better.

I was very happy with the price, free and fast shipping (to my installer), as well as being able to chose who I wanted to do the installation. I saved $120 vs. TireRack, who I also adore.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JFS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JFS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:13 AM   #56
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

I put about 67,000 on the stock Eagle LS2s before giving them up due to such poor performance in the rain. I found a good deal at Discount Tire for closeout Michelin MXM4s. The price was good (plus a rebate), and the tires have so far been excellent. Low noise, good ride, and substantially better in wet conditions.

Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:57 AM   #57
NJastra
NJastra is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFS View Post
If you have not pushed the button on your TireRack.com purchase, consider a look at https://www.tirebuyer.com/ to see if you might do any better.

I was very happy with the price, free and fast shipping (to my installer), as well as being able to chose who I wanted to do the installation. I saved $120 vs. TireRack, who I also adore.
Thanks for letting me know about that tire site. I checked it and for this particular tire, it is the same price.

I just noticed that Tire Rack is having a promotion on Continental tires until 4/15/17 that if you purchase a set of 4 you can get a $70 mail in rebate (Visa gift card). That's a good offer!

-Jon-

3 dr XR, Twilight Blue, 5 speed manual, 18" 5-star rims, Leather trim package, Heated seats, VXMMI (Advanced Audio)

1987 Z28 - modded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NJastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NJastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NJastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:00 PM   #58
velocast
velocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura about

Default 225/45-18 Milestar 932 Sport All Season $60

225/45-18 Milestar 932 Sport All Season

My drive: Highway commute 80 miles per day / about 20k miles per year!

Driving style: Most of the time defensive and relaxed

Car Maintenance: Meticulous!

Do to the Milestar “superior price” I replaced my aging Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology All Season ($160 each) with the Milestar ($60 each).

My feelings:

-The Milestar is a good looking, kind of fatty tire.
-It does absorb the bumps softly. It seems to me our Astra’s engine runs much smother. I feel this car is never going to die. I love it! +++
-With previous low profile tires, I had the feelings the car’s frame was hitting hard the ground when passing a bump.
-I feel the Continentals have better grip on the road than the Milestars. So, I will NOT suggest to do the dare devil thing! After 7k miles I feel the Milestars are outputing a better grip on the road. But, I steel prefer the Continentals!
-The brand new Milestar does consume little more gas than the Continental somewhere 10-30 miles out of 400 miles. After 7k miles gas consumption is decreasing. I like that!
-This 2017 Winter the streets where covered with 6-9 inches of hard frozen snow. People could not park on the streets. I tried to park in a fresh area breaking the frozen snow with my front Milestar tires almost I got stuck. Other than that, I had no issues whatsoever driving in snow.
-Time will tell how good or bad these Milestars are.
-After 7K miles I did check the air pressure so there is no need to put more air.
- Up to this time, the Milestars are proving that are a very decent reliable tire -we can count on- for a normal driver!

Size: 225/45-18
Price: $60 per tire
Warranty: 50k miles
Installation: $100

Total cost installed: ($60 x 4) + $100 = $340

Other thoughts from experts in tires, approximately after 5 + years’ rubber compounds in a tire deteriorates regardless their brand name. With over 25k-50k miles a tire's tread start losing grip. The often we replace them the better.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help velocast reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-29-2017, 12:51 AM   #59
Brianvande
Brianvande is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I would definitely suggest Continental ExtremeContact DWS for the 18" rims. They look cool, too!

2008 Saturn Astra XR3 5-Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Brianvande's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Brianvande reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Brianvande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:59 AM   #60
velocast

If you want to unleash the qualities of the Continental ExtremeContact DWS, drive over 80 mph. You will love it! Of course in dry weather. I never tried in wet weather.

I been told the newer version the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 uses softer compounds for better track in winter. So, meaning it has shorter life than the old version.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!