SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2011, 01:10 PM   #21
paulff3
paulff3 will become famous soon enoughpaulff3 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: The Ultimate Tire Replacement thread

The reviews of the Conti Extreme Contact DWS look great. Looks like a good tire.

15 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Manual
14 BMW 435i M Sport 6speed
08 XR 5 speed - Blue with 3M film - SOLD!
03 Acura CLS 6speed - Silver with 3M film - SOLD!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paulff3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paulff3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
paulff3 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2011, 12:47 PM   #22
velocast
velocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura about

Thumbs Up Re: The Ultimate Tire Replacement thread

Saturn Astra XR - All Season Tire (in theory)

Stock Tire (Performance Summer)
215/45-18 Pirelli PZero Rosso Revs Per Mile 813; Overall Diameter 25.7"

After searching TireRack, and DiscountTire, I got 4 (all season) strong candidates based in price, warranty, spirited driving, l@@ks, and reviews.

Size 215/45-18
(1) Pirelli PZero Nero Revs Per Mile 813; Overall Diameter 25.6"
(2) Continental ExtremeContact DWS Revs Per Mile 814; Overall Diameter 25.6"

Size 225/45-18
(1) Continental ExtremeContact DWS Revs Per Mile 802; Overall Diameter 26"
(2) Pirelli PZero Nero Revs Per Mile 809: Overall Diameter N/A

With the 225/45-18, speedometer reading will be 1.4% slower than the stock Pirelli. When traveling at 60 mph actually will be going 60.8 mph. Experts recommend not to go up more than 4% of the stock circumference. If I go up to 225/50-18, the speedometer will be 4.8% slow. Traveling at 60 mph will make 62.9 mph. I don't know, I may sacrifice aesthetics.

Conclusion: I am going all season with the 225/45-18 Continental ExtremeContact DWS. Like the old proverb says "Jack of all trades, master of none." Any all season tire just can't match a dedicated summer or winter tire. I will conmute about 60 miles a day between Philadelphia, PA and Wilmington, DE.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to velocast's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help velocast reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
velocast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:36 PM   #23
99blacktop
99blacktop is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulff3 View Post
The reviews of the Conti Extreme Contact DWS look great. Looks like a good tire.
The attached image is the only review of the ContiExtremeContact that I need. I really need to frame that poster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg conticurves.jpg (11.5 KB, 65 views)

My Saturn history:
1993 SL2 100,406 miles ('94-'98)
1999 SC2 118,537 miles ('98-'12)
2005 VUE 25,705 miles ('05-'09)
2008 Astra 27,014 miles ('09-'12)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99blacktop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99blacktop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99blacktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:06 PM   #24
L200Pilot
L200Pilot is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Gonna bring this thread back as I just got a new set of tires a couple days ago...

So I said I was going to get Neros again. I lied.

I have the 18" wheels.

OEM tires -- Pirelli Rossos. Lasted about 68,000 miles. Handling was the best of the three sets i've had, but they come with a steep price.

Set two -- Pirelli PZero Nero. Lasted just under 90,000 miles (!). You get about 95% of the handling of the Rossos for half the price. Plus, they're snow tires. Good choice if you get a few inches each storm.

New set -- Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110. Slightly less expensive than the Neros ($10/tire). Not quite as good handling as the Pirellis (still very good; maybe 80-85% of the Rosso), but there are two upsides that make me like these tires the best: They provide a much, much more comfortable ride, and there is almost no road noise. Its unbelievable how quiet these are compared to the Pirellis. They are summer tires, so I'm going to stay away from the snow in these. I haven't taken them on wet roads yet because, hey, Arizona, but reviews online said they are good in the rain.

The family:
1993 SL2: 051,000 mi (!)
1996 SL2: 260,000 mi (sold)
2001 SL2: 98,000 mi
2002 L200: 215,000 mi
2006 VUE: 50,000 mi (sold)
2007 Ranger: 40,000 mi
2008 Astra: 161,000 mi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L200Pilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L200Pilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
L200Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:13 PM   #25
NJastra
NJastra is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I think I am finally going to get a new set of tires as it appears I am developing some cracks in the rubber (dry rot?). I have about 30,500 miles now and they definitely have alot of tread left, but again developed the cracks in the rubber. Living in an area where it snows, I should really get all seasons on there anyhow.

I am probably going to purchase the Continental Extreme Contact DWS (All Seasons).

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...ting=S&tab=All

I do have a question for you guys though. It appears that some of us with the 18" rims with summer only tires randomly have 40s or 45s from the factory. Is there any REAL reason why this is the case? Mine came equipped with 40s. The replacements on tirerack only show 45s (probably because it was defaulted on their website that this car has 215, 45, 18). Will it matter if I change to the 45s?

-Jon-

3 dr XR, Twilight Blue, 5 speed manual, 18" 5-star rims, Leather trim package, Heated seats, VXMMI (Advanced Audio)

1987 Z28 - modded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NJastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NJastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NJastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:37 AM   #26
99blacktop
99blacktop is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJastra View Post
I am probably going to purchase the Continental Extreme Contact DWS (All Seasons).
Good choice. Then again, I'm basing my opinion on the image from my earlier post. I finally framed it, I now proudly advertise those tires in 24"x30" brilliance on the wall in the living room.

My Saturn history:
1993 SL2 100,406 miles ('94-'98)
1999 SC2 118,537 miles ('98-'12)
2005 VUE 25,705 miles ('05-'09)
2008 Astra 27,014 miles ('09-'12)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99blacktop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99blacktop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99blacktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:27 PM   #27
strz
strz is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

My OEM's were Pirelli Rosso Summer Performance (215/45-18); they lasted me one full year (30k in mileage)....and were terrific, however- living in the Northeast led to my decision to not put summer tires back on my Saturn 3-door XR.

With that- I've had Fierce (division of Goodyear) Instinct ZR "Ultra-High Performance" all-season tires (215/45-18)....originally, the drive was horrible for approx. the first three months (massive steering wheel feedback once I reached 70mph), however- they've been fine the past 9 months or so (30k in mileage, and still enough tread to get me through this upcoming winter)...not sure if the change in the drive is based upon wear, tire rotations, or both!

My next set of tires will be Pirelli (all-season).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to strz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help strz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
strz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:32 PM   #28
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

NJastra,

Tire Rack usually has multiple choices for vehicles that have different tire options.

If it doesn't show your specific size... maybe check the other trim levels.

You might also notice when checking prices on a specific model tire (for your vehicle)... Tire Rack usually puts a dot next all the various tire sizes that should fit your model. So regardless of what you've got installed now it should note the tires that could be installed on your vehicle if interested.

So as long as you've got the correct vehicle listed. It should show you the various tires that could be installed safely on your factory vehicle (with the proper wheels/rims).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:49 PM   #29
strz
strz is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

In addition to Tire Rack, another online site I'd recommend checking out is www.treadepot.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to strz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help strz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
strz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:53 PM   #30
Mil
Mil is on a distinguished road

correct me if i'm wrong but i believe either canadian or 2008 astras came with 225/40-18 (this is my current tire size) while US spec or 2009 astras came with 215-45-18.

I had dunlops SP01 from factory and i LOVED those tires even if they were only summer tires (i think those tires aren't available anymore and even if they are still available, it will costs you an arm and a leg to replace them).
Then i had to replace my tires last summer, so i went with good year eagle GT.
The tread design is similar to those dunlops so i tought it was worth a try.
I think it's a good compromise if you consider the price and the fact that they're all season tires.
They should last longer than my old dunlops also because of the treadwear.
Wet traction is amazing, dry traction is ok.
Road noise is almost the same as my factory equipped tires, but since i have winter tires, i can't comment on snow traction.

If you have to replace your tires, go with 225/40-18 instead of 215/45-18.
You'll have a larger footprint and better traction.
17" wheels use 225/45-17, so it will be kind of stupid to ride wider tires on 17" than 18" rims.
Just my opinion, i never understood why Saturn chose to go with 215/45-18, it might depends on cheaper price.

I think continentals extreme contact DW is one of the best tires available (DWS if you need all-season) euro tuner magazine used to test a bunch of performance tires and continentals were their best choice for a lot of reasons including dry handling, wet handling, weight, etc.
If i had the chance i would have buy those tires, but since i had to replaced them in a hurry (flat tires), the only ones that were in stock were the good years and they were in sale also, so i gave them a try.

Last edited by Mil; 11-16-2011 at 06:59 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:13 PM   #31
NJastra

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mil View Post
correct me if i'm wrong but i believe either canadian or 2008 astras came with 225/40-18 (this is my current tire size) while US spec or 2009 astras came with 215-45-18.

I had dunlops SP01 from factory and i LOVED those tires even if they were only summer tires (i think those tires aren't available anymore and even if they are still available, it will costs you an arm and a leg to replace them).
Then i had to replace my tires last summer, so i went with good year eagle GT.
The tread design is similar to those dunlops so i tought it was worth a try.
I think it's a good compromise if you consider the price and the fact that they're all season tires.
They should last longer than my old dunlops also because of the treadwear.
Wet traction is amazing, dry traction is ok.
Road noise is almost the same as my factory equipped tires, but since i have winter tires, i can't comment on snow traction.

If you have to replace your tires, go with 225/40-18 instead of 215/45-18.
You'll have a larger footprint and better traction.
17" wheels use 225/45-17, so it will be kind of stupid to ride wider tires on 17" than 18" rims.
Just my opinion, i never understood why Saturn chose to go with 215/45-18, it might depends on cheaper price.

I think continentals extreme contact DW is one of the best tires available (DWS if you need all-season) euro tuner magazine used to test a bunch of performance tires and continentals were their best choice for a lot of reasons including dry handling, wet handling, weight, etc.
If i had the chance i would have buy those tires, but since i had to replaced them in a hurry (flat tires), the only ones that were in stock were the good years and they were in sale also, so i gave them a try.
Initially I was thinking to go with 215-45-18, mine came with 40. I don't like tires being too low profile. With the small increase, I thought it might slightly fill up the wheel well more too. I also like wider tires. You had suggested to go with 225. How will these changes from stock affect the car? I would imagine with a larger foot print, speed and mpg would be affected but probably not noticeable to the driver. I set on these tires, just having a hard time figuring out which size to settle with.

-Jon-

3 dr XR, Twilight Blue, 5 speed manual, 18" 5-star rims, Leather trim package, Heated seats, VXMMI (Advanced Audio)

1987 Z28 - modded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help NJastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #32
Mil
Mil is on a distinguished road

You will read 60mph while you will be actually rolling 58.8 mph.
Try this link:
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Like i mentioned, some astras came with 225/40-18 from stock while others came with 215/45-18 so don't worry about rubbing or any other issues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:31 PM   #33
smiggs77
smiggs77 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

205/55/16 Goodyear LS 2's were OEM and were ok, replaced them last spring at 20,*** some odd miles with uniroyal tiger paw touring of the same size. I like them a hell of alot better than the Goodyears, awesome in the rain and a decent price too. I have General Altimax Arctic for winter and no complaints at all, handling and traction are great.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to smiggs77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help smiggs77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
smiggs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:16 AM   #34
Audi Junkie
Audi Junkie is on a distinguished road

Conti Extremes are great in snow, great in rain, kind of mush in dry.

Yoko TRZ are very nice, not as fast as Yoko V4-S, but the ride, handling and wear are good. Rain confidence is high. Quality is excellent.

I found a new tire I'm very fond of, BFG Advantage T/A. I had a few pairs now, and even though they are a plain looking tread, they stick like glue.

As for the Astra, we dumped the OE Hankooks asap for a few $100 and put on the sportier BFG g-Force. Great tire, very fast in dry. No complaints with any BFG we're been using.

For next year, I already scored two Yoko Y520K or whatever. They are exclusive to Discount tire. I only paid like $40-ish so... I did go up to 225/50-17 to add some cushion. I'll find another pair I like by next winter. Kumho 4X is a hot tire now. AA wet rating is nice, Conti Extreme only has A rating.

The Falken 912 mentioned is another good tire. Wear was just ok, but everything else was spectacular. Similar to the TRZ.

I'm looking at some used PZero Neros at a place by me that has LOTS of tires for sale. Good luck there so far. I buy tires that look new for $40 instead of $140. I have 2 Turanza Revo Z on, a $200 tire, still had the stickers, like $100 for the pair.

btw-my car is a VW Tiguam 6M w/APR, A3 Springs, wheel spacers and motor mounts. Yeah, I love it. Love the Astra too.

Anyone wants some tire ideas, lmk.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Audi Junkie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Audi Junkie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Audi Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:53 PM   #35
NJastra

2008 Astra XR

Stock: 225-40-18 Pirelli Summer Only (about 33,000 miles and replaced due to dry rot developing)

Replacement: 225-40-18 Continental Extreme Contact DWS (All Seasons)

I am very satisfied with the look of the tires. I am even more satisfied with the increase in comfort with the ride which was not entirely expected. I waited a little over 1,000 miles to post this so that I can get a better idea of how the tire performs. Originally, and probably due to the tires not being broken in and still a bit slick, I didn't think they grabbed the ground as well as the Pirelli's. Now that I have put some miles on them, I still agree that the ride quality has improved (very happy ) and they perform pretty good as well. I still think that the Pirelli's grip the ground better, altho I don't exactly have proof of that but I felt more confident with the Pirelli's. The steering also feels slightly less tight as well.

Anywho, I definitely recommend this set of tires as a very good replacement option for those of us who have to deal with ALL seasons. Ironically enough, I haven't had the opportunity to drive in snow because it's been a NICE winter!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1546.jpg (80.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1290.jpg (152.6 KB, 22 views)

-Jon-

1987 Z28 - modded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-22-2012, 04:07 AM   #36
vanilla sky
vanilla sky is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I really like the inexpensive Falken Zeix 912 tires. I'm running the OE 17" size, which is 225/45 R17. We've put 23,000 miles on this set, and they still have some life left in them, even dealing with my "spirited" driving and one autocross.

They 912s should never be confused with a proper performance tire, but if you get them shaved 3/32, they stick pretty well for the price. Even my full depth set has been a pretty solid performer at the price point.

We go through tires fast enough and don't demand enough performance to really need anything with more grip than the Falkens. If I really wanted tires that made a difference, I'd run R888s.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vanilla sky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vanilla sky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vanilla sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:49 PM   #37
velocast
velocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura about

Default Continental ExtremeContact DWS All-Season

After little over two years and 40k miles on it here is my feedback on the Continental ExtremeContact DWS All-Season. Those are good tires but I don't suggest them for snowing conditions (225/45-18). With the 45 sidewall height there is no much to offer in snowing conditions. In curves, it almost does not roll. So, in icy conditions expect to go straight. Adios duck! The tire shop guy said it has 60% remaining of treath life. Any way, I commute 80 miles round trip every day highway only. So, I decided to replace them with a tire that can best fit my needs: I choose the 1) Cinturato P7 All Season Plus, 2) Continental PureContact EcoPlus All-Season. They have almost the same characteristics but the reviews give the Pirelli an edge also they are more expensive. So, I bought the Continentals. I love them since I first ride. They absorb the bumps beautifully. Up to this point, I have the feeling that I am riding a 55 sidewall height tire. I will keep you updated later onů

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to velocast's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help velocast reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
velocast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:27 AM   #38
Terra Nova
Terra Nova is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Got the 17" Nexen CP 672 V rated for 3 seasons.

These placed a respectable 3rd place behind the Michelin Primacy MXV4 & the Continental PureContact in the latest CR ( H ) rankings. And, given the Nexen has a better tread warranty than the Michelin and costs about 50% less than the Michelin ( i.e $500 vs $950 )...the Nexen seemed to be a savvy ' value ' buy. Only time will tell I guess.

Winter are 16" Uniroyal Tiger Paw Ice & Snow II.

- 2008 Silver Astra 3dr ' XR ' 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Terra Nova's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Terra Nova reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:54 PM   #39
paulff3
paulff3 will become famous soon enoughpaulff3 will become famous soon enough

I got Continental PureContacts this weekend. I had a tough time last winter on the stock Hankook 725s which have 40,000 on them.

The Hankooks wore evenly and could have gone another 20k as long as I never drove in snow.

The new Contis are smooth a silk on the highway. Hopefully, they will provide better snow traction. Went to Townfair Tire for the first time. Good experience.

15 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Manual
14 BMW 435i M Sport 6speed
08 XR 5 speed - Blue with 3M film - SOLD!
03 Acura CLS 6speed - Silver with 3M film - SOLD!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paulff3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paulff3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
paulff3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:11 PM   #40
burgermeister
burgermeister is a jewel in the roughburgermeister is a jewel in the roughburgermeister is a jewel in the rough

2008 Astra XE

2008 Astra XE 16" steelies in summer, 16" Borbet aluminum rims for winters

Original Tires: Eagle LS-2. Fine in the dry, very slidey in the wet (fun but probably not desirable for most folks), totally unsafe with any snow at all.

Winters: Dunlop Winter Sport 3D. Makes the car great on snow, and very little loss of handling without snow.

Current summers: Michelin Pilot Sport AS-3. Absolutely fantastic. Wet traction almost identical to dry traction. Dry traction is near extreme summer tire levels, though I would not take them to a track ... have not tried them in snow, since I have winters.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burgermeister's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burgermeister reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
burgermeister is offline   Reply With Quote