SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
NJastra
NJastra is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default The Ultimate Tire Replacement thread

I wanted to create one place in which everyone's tire replacement information can be located to make it easy for anyone searching for ideas or just unsure about making a change.

Please list:

Astra model
Original set of tires (brand, size)
Replacement tires (brand, size)
A brief review or comparison statement or any additional information that may be helpful.

I hope to be contributing soon as I will be replacing my tires (hopefully) before the first snow storm to an all-season/performance set.

-Jon-

3 dr XR, Twilight Blue, 5 speed manual, 18" 5-star rims, Leather trim package, Heated seats, VXMMI (Advanced Audio)

1987 Z28 - modded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NJastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NJastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NJastra is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2010, 03:10 PM   #2
gaurdien
gaurdien will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: The Ultimate Tire Replacement thread

original tires stock goodyears not overly impressed only had 7,000 on them when i replaced them with Cooper cs-4. Love them for handling in all weather conditions.

Good things are happening..........., somewhere.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gaurdien's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gaurdien reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gaurdien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
darek_dade
darek_dade is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurdien View Post
original tires stock goodyears not overly impressed only had 7,000 on them when i replaced them with Cooper cs-4. Love them for handling in all weather conditions.
Tire size would be nice...

09 Astra 3dr XR
Original tires: 225-40-18 Dunlop SP Sport 01
Current winter tires: 205-55-16 Gislaved Nordfrost 5

09 Astra XR (manual, 3-door)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to darek_dade's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help darek_dade reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
darek_dade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:55 PM   #4
Mil
Mil is on a distinguished road

Original tires, Khumo optimas 225-45-17
Those tires where ok, but nothing more than ok, i can't tell more about it since i replaced them after about 5000km, but they seem to last forever.
Then i bought oem 18" wheels with dunlops SP01.
Those tires are AMAZING!!!
I drove 2 summers with those tires on and i plan to drive another summer (that should be the last one, but remember that i bought the car in june 2008 and it already shows 67000km (41632 Miles).
I believe it's very good for a performance tire.
On rainy days those tires are ok, but on dry roads they stick to the road as if the car was rolling on steel using some big magnets as tires
I like a little spirited driving on country roads but most of my driving is done on the highway.

During winter time, i drove yokohama Ice guard IG20 (205-50-17)
I will be driving them for their third and last winter.
On snow they are pretty good, but on ice those tires really shine.
Way better than Blizzaks that i used to own on another car, because even when they wear out, they still stick to the ice as they keep their winter compound (some winter tires like blizzaks and dunlops use winter compound on the first half of their tread life, after it's a 4-season tire)
Handling is ok, since they are H rated.
I really liked those tires but they wear out faster than some other tires (like toyo for exemple, but they're a little cheaper) and they are supposed to be better on MPG also, i saw an average 7.8l/100km during summer time and 7.7l/100km during winter.

I already bought a set of used Toyo GO2+ to replace them as i drive on toyo winter tires on my work truck and toyo garits on my girlfriend' subaru impreza (AWD and toyo= amazing winter combo, damn!, i wish my car had AWD)
I really like toyo winter tires, they are really good on snow, keep you in total control on ice and last forever.
For those who keep 17" wheels during winter time, i recommand using 205-50-17 tires, it's cheaper and way better on snowy roads.

I will keep you informed when i replaced my summer and winter tires.

NJastra, pretty good thread by the way

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:39 AM   #5
nicolas_p
nicolas_p will become famous soon enoughnicolas_p will become famous soon enough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

Astra Xr 3dr
Original tires:17" 225/45r17 Hankook Optimo about 27000km on these
great tire when they were new, but now they tend to lose traction in spirited driving.
Current tire:215/55r16 firestone winterforce about 8000km
Awesome winter tire payed 90$ each at the dealer last year, work well in deep snow and on ice. I got thru places truck were stuck last year with them

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:50 AM   #6
ilvtofu
ilvtofu is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XR

Original hankooks H725A I think. I really liked them smooth.
225/45/17 sold them and put on my icebears for winter from my old car
Icebears good control in the ice, not so great in the snow, feels like it's constantly hydroplaning lol.

Summer tire
Falken zex912 225/40/18
No complaints on grip, So far have never cornered hard enough to hear any squeal. Noisy, wouldn't buy again... LOL

Eibach 15mm 5x110 hubcentric spacers with bolts PM is key!

Twilight Blue XR 3 Door

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ilvtofu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ilvtofu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #7
Mil
Mil is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Mil;1684240]Original tires, Khumo optimas 225-45-17

Sorry it was hankook, not khumo

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:36 AM   #8
L200Pilot
L200Pilot is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

My originals were the 18" Pirelli Rosso. Replaced them with Pirelli PZero Nero snow tires of the same size.

Handling of the car is slightly worse than OEM (but still very good). The main reason I bought them was I wanted snow tires, and they are $400 cheaper than a set of the Rossos, looking at TireRack right now. Snow performance is OK. I wouldn't have them if I lived where it dumped (but then I wouldn't have the 18 inchers at all), but for the couple of inches we get each storm, they're fine.

I'll probably buy another set of the Neros when it's time.

The family:
1993 SL2: 051,000 mi (!)
1996 SL2: 260,000 mi (sold)
2001 SL2: 98,000 mi
2002 L200: 215,000 mi
2006 VUE: 50,000 mi (sold)
2007 Ranger: 40,000 mi
2008 Astra: 161,000 mi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L200Pilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L200Pilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
L200Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:57 AM   #9
gazingwa
gazingwa is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Great idea for a thread, I'll have a review of 205-55-16 Yokahama Avid TRZ's when my car gets back from the body shop, (looking like the end of December due to a parts issue). I have them on my wifes car(Kia Rondo) and like them so much, I switched them out while the damaged rims and blown out OEM Goodyears were being replaced at the repair shop.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gazingwa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gazingwa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gazingwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:37 PM   #10
Swordfish
Advanced Member
Swordfish is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE

5 door XE, 2009.
225/45/17 maxxis victra ma-z1 summer tires. Amazing handling, very low noise. Paid 104$ per tire. With those tires, I take curves at double the suggested limits, without any squealing at all. They handle best on hot pavement, but are still impressive in the rain, and even a bit of slush.

My winters are Goodyear Eagle LS-2 205/55/16 and wear very fast... I will have to buy a new set after a second winter. And I am not impressed with their handling either... Packed snow is like driving on ice with a racing slick... Horrible.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Swordfish's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Swordfish reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Swordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:03 PM   #11
Swordfish
Advanced Member
Swordfish is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE

Correction... The Eagle tires were my OEM tires... My winters are BFGoodrich winter slalom KSI in 205/55/16.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Swordfish's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Swordfish reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Swordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:30 PM   #12
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Nice thread. Looking for All Seasons for Spring. Glad to find any info. (Even if not for my exact model.)

Don't have an Astra...

But for my 2003 ION-3:

All-Seasons: Goodyear TripleTred 205/55/16
Winter: Michelin Xi-2 195/60/15

Currently using my Winters.

2nd Winter for my Xi-2 tires. Very happy with tread life (1/32 on fronts almost no wear on rears for first season), fuel economy (smaller tire) and all around grip and handing with these winters (first time for non-All Season tires for me) in snow.

Very happy with my TripleTreds but have developed some serious tread cracking (large openings between tread and sidewall).

Was thinking of trying General Altimax HP or Yokohama AVID ENVigor tires. from searching Tirerack.com .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:54 PM   #13
Tom S2
Advanced Member
Tom S2 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

yokohama Ws 225/ / 17 stock tire size that I had on my 330 for two winters (total 6,000 miles) and on the saturn last winter and again this winter. Excellent in dry, not noisy, like driving a tractor in the snow - no complaints at all.

Best part is the pontiac logo on the G6 rims! yes it is teh new pontiac that has risen from the ashes. the 2010 pontiac phoenix.

Astra XR-3-5 HP - Hamster Powered!
Dealer added options, & Infinity speakers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom S2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom S2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:52 PM   #14
exy
exy is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by darek_dade View Post
Tire size would be nice...

09 Astra 3dr XR
Original tires: 225-40-18 Dunlop SP Sport 01
Current winter tires: 205-55-16 Gislaved Nordfrost 5
how did you go from wide tires to narrow ones???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to exy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help exy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
exy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:18 AM   #15
darek_dade
darek_dade is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by exy View Post
how did you go from wide tires to narrow ones???
What do you mean? I got steelies and they fit perfectly.

09 Astra XR (manual, 3-door)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to darek_dade's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help darek_dade reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
darek_dade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:39 PM   #16
WhiteXR
WhiteXR is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

2008 Astra XR 3dr

Original all season tires: 225/45R17 Hankook Optimo with about 54,000kms

Just finished installing my new winter wheels and tires from TireRack:
16" steel rims ($55 each)
205/55R16 Dunlop SP Wintersport 3D's ($99 each)
433Hz Tire Pressure Sensors ($39 each)
The website states that they don't carry the sensors, but when you actually talk to someone on the phone, they actually do have the correct sensors in stock.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WhiteXR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WhiteXR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WhiteXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #17
paulff3
paulff3 will become famous soon enoughpaulff3 will become famous soon enough

We've been getting pounded with snow here in New England. The Hankooks are not very good in snow. Looking for that all-season that does well in the snow. I put Potenza G019 Grid with Uni-T on my girlfriend's Accord and they seem to be a much better tire. They have become noisy with wear though.

I'm also looking at the Turanza with Serenity Technology.

15 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Manual
14 BMW 435i M Sport 6speed
08 XR 5 speed - Blue with 3M film - SOLD!
03 Acura CLS 6speed - Silver with 3M film - SOLD!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paulff3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paulff3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
paulff3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #18
ilvtofu

2009 Astra XR

Has anyone used the Continental DWS? I like the idea of a true all season cause the winters in vancouver are relatively mild, and my experience with continental has been good. They make a very quiet tire but usually has been out of my budget. I think it's a reasonable price right now though.

Are there any sites that I missed looking at?
so far I've checked out discount tire, tirerack, treadepot. All have their pro's and cons but tirerack tends to have the best selection and the best quality wheels.

Twilight Blue XR 3 Door

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ilvtofu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-23-2011, 11:43 PM   #19
nicolas_p
nicolas_p will become famous soon enoughnicolas_p will become famous soon enough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
Has anyone used the Continental DWS? I like the idea of a true all season cause the winters in vancouver are relatively mild, and my experience with continental has been good. They make a very quiet tire but usually has been out of my budget. I think it's a reasonable price right now though.

Are there any sites that I missed looking at?
so far I've checked out discount tire, tirerack, treadepot. All have their pro's and cons but tirerack tends to have the best selection and the best quality wheels.
You can also try http://www.1010tires.com/

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:35 AM   #20
ilvtofu

2009 Astra XR

Wow I really like their wheel searching tool but they are canadian and generally at a minimum 25% pricier than the U.S. sites even after mailbox + duties etc. IMO

Twilight Blue XR 3 Door

REWARD EXCELLENCE!