SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 11-24-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
blurryfingers
blurryfingers is on a distinguished road

Default Aura XR Key Fob Batt Low

I just bought a used 2007 Saturn Aura XR. Around 80% of the time when I start the car, the DIC displays that the key fob's battery is low. The range on the key fob was fine but I went ahead and replaced the battery with a new one. I still get the same low battery message. Does anyone know how to clear this message or make it stop coming up?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blurryfingers's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blurryfingers reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blurryfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Aura XR Key Fob Batt Low

does other remote do the same?? also maybe dumb question but does it say key fob battery? maybe it is valve stem battery low. ive seen that one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
does other remote do the same?? also maybe dumb question but does it say key fob battery? maybe it is valve stem battery low. ive seen that one.

valve stem battery?
Can you elaborate on that?

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

when battery in valve stem that reports tire pressure goes low it says so on the d i c...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-28-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Interesting. You bring up some interesting questions.

Are they a common problem with the TPMS?
Or just a fluke?

Or does this require a replacement with the TpMs stem, or just a replacement of the battery?

Covered under warranty?

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-29-2010, 09:53 AM   #6
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

covered under 3/36k. must replace valve stem (30 to 60dollars depending who you ask).battery should last 7 to 10 years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-29-2010, 09:57 AM   #7
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

and it hasnt been a problem i just saw one that had it. prices of sensors have come down and still will in the future. one thing ive learned is no chrome vaqlve stem. the two metals fuse togather and cant get them off. had a customer with an older tundra truck to get new tires. all 4 stems wrecked because couldnt get cap off. 160 dollars each for new one. plus programming. gm has its asdvantages. much cheaper and can program yourself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-29-2010, 10:08 AM   #8
GeoPappas
GeoPappas is on a distinguished road

We have also been getting the same message for the past few weeks every time we start the car. I believe that the exact message is "KEY FOB BATTERY LOW".

We have two key fobs and we get the message no matter which one we use. I checked the battery voltage on the key fobs and they are fully charged.

We started to get the messages after I "fixed" the key fobs. One key fob wasn't working at all and one was intermittently working. We found that the circuit board inside the key fob had lost contact with some of the solder points. So I soldered all three of the contact points (left, center, and right). I am wondering if I was supposed to solder all three points or just two of them (left and right).

Have you recently repaired your key fob?

2007 Saturn Aura XE V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GeoPappas's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GeoPappas reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GeoPappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #9
blurryfingers

Yes, message on DIC is "KEY FOB BATTERY LOW".

I just purchased the car from a private owner. The previous owner told me that her previous key fobs stopped working, and that she replaced them at the dealer, and that ever since she's been getting this battery low message. I'm assuming she might have had the contact points break on her original fobs. The dealer supposedly gave her two new fobs. I checked the solder points when changing the battery and everything appears to be ok.

Both fobs will give me the error. I wonder if its some sort of programming gone awry.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help blurryfingers reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-29-2010, 01:55 PM   #10
GeoPappas

Update: My (engine) battery died today. I got it replaced and ever since I haven't had the "KEY FOB BATTERY LOW" messages. I have only unlocked the doors about a half dozen times with the key fob, so it is probably too early to tell if the new battery is the fix. But it does look promising. Anyway, you might want to get your battery checked to see if it is on the way out. Maybe the messages are an indicator of a failing battery.

2007 Saturn Aura XE V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help GeoPappas reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-29-2010, 02:59 PM   #11
blurryfingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPappas View Post
Update: My (engine) battery died today. I got it replaced and ever since I haven't had the "KEY FOB BATTERY LOW" messages. I have only unlocked the doors about a half dozen times with the key fob, so it is probably too early to tell if the new battery is the fix. But it does look promising. Anyway, you might want to get your battery checked to see if it is on the way out. Maybe the messages are an indicator of a failing battery.
Thanks for the update. I will make sure to check the battery today. If the battery is fine I wonder if disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it would help. Taking the battery out wouldn't require a dealer for radio reprogramming right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-29-2010, 03:44 PM   #12
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

key fob battery low means that battery is running low and should be replaced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-30-2010, 09:36 AM   #13
GeoPappas

Update: I got in the car this morning and noticed that the there was a "KEY FOB BATTERY LOW" message. So the new (engine) battery didn't totally fix the problem.

2007 Saturn Aura XE V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-30-2010, 01:34 PM   #14
greenman
greenman will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XE

IIRC I read in the owner's manual that the fob batteries last about 3 years. But my 10 year-old Ford fobs with the exact same Panasonic battery still work without ever being changed. In fact, they have never had any issue at all. Malibus are having the same fob problems, FWIW.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:15 PM   #15
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

think it has to do with...lets see how cheap we can make these fobs..from what i hear changing the battery is generally the end of the fob because it falls apart inside.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-30-2010, 03:49 PM   #16
unkle bik
Master Member

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

I don't know why, but Of all the fobs I have owned, this one works the best. It has great range. I was able to access the remote start from two blocks away up two floors, through a window.

The wife's Asstra keyfob barely reaches 30 feet...

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-21-2010, 02:11 PM   #17
golftango
golftango is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE

You're correct the range is excellent! I can start my car from the 15th floor window of my building and the vehicle is a block away.

However, I just had all three solder points in my fob fail, right at the one year anniversary. Replaced under warranty.

'09 Saturn Aura XE (sold 2013)
'11 Kia Optima LX
'09 Mazda 5 Grand Touring

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to golftango's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help golftango reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
golftango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:54 AM   #18
blurryfingers

Update on the key fob battery message. Two days ago I tried to install the PXAMG iSimple to get integrated ipod connectivity. Long story short, I couldn't the unit to work correctly, but somehow with all the battery disconnects and restarts the key fob batt low message has disappeared.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-29-2010, 10:29 AM   #19
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

aura key fobs work fine when they work. just hope you dont need to change the battery. that is where the trouble comes up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-29-2010, 05:39 PM   #20
greenman
greenman will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XE

My fob just started misbehaving again. This time in a mall parking lot on Xmas eve. Opened trunk fine, 2 seconds later wouldn't open doors. Split it open, popped out & reseated the battery & it works again. Reminds me of a computer freeze-up. Battery output = 3.16v.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote