SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2010, 01:18 AM   #1
kingkevin8
kingkevin8 has a spectacular aura aboutkingkevin8 has a spectacular aura aboutkingkevin8 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
2002 VUE 2.2L
Default Out of ideas... possibly ecm?

On a previous post I thought my purge solenoid was bad... replaced it, yet I still have a high idle after the car comes to normal operating temp. It stays constant around 1500 rpms. If I shut the car off, and restart it right away the car (95 SC2) will go back to normal rpm range 850. Only until I drive the car for another 10 mins. the car will high idle again. I've replaced the ects and iats. Could it be I just bought a dud etcs? Maybe a bad ecm? I need this car fixed.

1995 Saturn SL2- 232,000mi
1993 Saturn SL2- 302,000mi
1994 Saturn SL2- 139,000mi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kingkevin8's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kingkevin8 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kingkevin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2010, 01:40 AM   #2
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: Out of ideas... possibly ecm?

Throttle Position Sensor. Classic sign of it going to crap.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:52 AM   #3
kingkevin8
kingkevin8 has a spectacular aura aboutkingkevin8 has a spectacular aura aboutkingkevin8 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
2002 VUE 2.2L

Also replaced that with a junkyard tps. Should I just try again?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kingkevin8 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-22-2010, 08:43 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Get a TPS off of any 91-97 DOHC. Check it with an ohmmeter before installing it so you know it is good. Be sure that it is actually engaged with the throttle shaft. With the key in the ON position but engine off check that the voltage between the black and dk. green wire changes smoothly as the throttle is opened and closed. Stick a straight pin into each wire so you can read the voltage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:19 AM   #5
kingkevin8

2005 ION Red Line
2002 VUE 2.2L

Thanks so much. I will do this. Even though my check engine light wasn't on, I tried to check codes, and sure enough I got code 22. I'll update later. Thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-22-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

If you have a code, the SES light should be on. Does the SES light come on when you first turn the key to RUN?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:08 PM   #7
kingkevin8

2005 ION Red Line
2002 VUE 2.2L

Well when I disconnect any sensor the light comes on, but it didn't come on for the tps, I just checked for codes, then it showed 22. Now for some weird reason my car is running perfectly fine (after I removed the tps clip, and reattached).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-22-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Dirty connection. By any chance it is not full of dielectric grease is it? If the problem returns then buy a can of CRC Electrical Connection cleaner and clean out both the connector and socket.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-22-2010, 03:09 PM   #9
kingkevin8

2005 ION Red Line
2002 VUE 2.2L

No grease at all. Thanks for the advice, I'll probably just do that anyway, since I'll be on an 8 hour trip tomorrow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Just pack the cleaner and don't touch it if it is working. It could also be a broken wire but that is not likely.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-24-2010, 01:18 AM   #11
kingkevin8

2005 ION Red Line
2002 VUE 2.2L

Okay, the high idle "stopped", but now when I start the car, when not warmed up, and i lightly touch the accelerator the rpms will drop, like a hesitation. Also the code 22 hasn't gone away, and I removed the pcm b fuse, and put it back on, still same, code 22. I cleaned the connection.

Also swapped, plugs, wires, coil pack and the ignition backing, pcv valve, O2 sensor, purge solenoid, tps, and the aic. Not a thing is working.

Earlier also, the car would intermittently misfire, only once every maybe 5-10 mins, and only one misfire as I was accelerating.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-24-2010, 01:19 AM   #12
kingkevin8

2005 ION Red Line
2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
If you have a code, the SES light should be on. Does the SES light come on when you first turn the key to RUN?
no the engine light does not come on when the car is on, but it shows the code when I check the codes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-24-2010, 01:24 AM   #13
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkevin8 View Post
no the engine light does not come on when the car is on, but it shows the code when I check the codes.
Not sure what you mean by "when the car is on", if that means when the engine is running or the key is in RUN. The question is, does the SES light come on when you FIRST turn the key to RUN, BEFORE starting the engine?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:34 AM   #14
kingkevin8

2005 ION Red Line
2002 VUE 2.2L

Yes the light comes on when I put the key in the ON position (w/the car off). But the car doesn't throw any codes while the car runs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-24-2010, 07:57 AM   #15
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The ses light is supposed to come on when the key is turned to ON but not start.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-24-2010, 11:02 AM   #16
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Wrench Re: Out of ideas... possibly ecm?

OK, admittedly this is a long shot, but if you replaced the TPS you might try the following-
  • Press the gas pedal all the way to the floor and hold it there.
  • Turn on the ignition key to the run position but do not start the engine.
  • Count to five.
  • Release the gas pedal completely.
  • Count to five.
  • Turn off the ignition.
  • Now start the engine and let it idle down.

I had a high idle issue on mine that appeared out of nowhere after I had the battery disconnected for a couple of hours. Obviously disconnecting the battery was not causing a vacuum leak or any of the other common issues that result in high idle. I had fairly recently replaced the TPS and so I tried tapping on it, etc. etc. No fix.

Doing the procedure above apparently allowed the PCM to learn what full throttle and idle were according to the new TPS. The high idle issue was immediately resolved and has remained resolved since. It idled smoother afterward too.

This only occurred to me because I have to do that with my other car if I leave the battery disconnected for a long period of time. Says so right in the service books. However if this is mentioned in the Saturn FSMs, I have not found it (or at least I don't remember seeing it), but it absolutely worked for my car.

It will take you 30 seconds to try and costs nothing. Couldn't hurt.

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:20 PM   #17
kingkevin8

2005 ION Red Line
2002 VUE 2.2L

Okay, what I did was jump the terminals 3 times to reset the codes, and the code went away and hasn't come back. Now to figure out the hesitation at start up. Would it be possible that the owner before me messed with the idle adjustment screw? Because when I start it, the car idles around 2000, takes a few seconds to come down, then idles at 1100, then after warm up goes down to 850-900.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-24-2010, 02:51 PM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

It is easy to cheek. From a completely warmed up engine, something like right at he end of a good 10 mile run out on the highway, turn off the engine and remove the air tube. Restart engine and let it idle for a minute or so. Now slowly block the IAC port in the bottom of the throttle body throat with your finger. When completely blocked you should be 450->550 RPM. Have your helper check RPM and then slowly remove finger. If you saw RPM in the specified range you are done. If not remove the throttle body and clean thoroughly the IAC and throttle plate seating areas. Repeat test. If RPM is still incorrect carefully adjust the mechanical stop to get 450-500 RPM. Be very careful that the engine is fully warmed up before performing this test. Best to have the fan cycle on and off at least twice if no highway run.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-25-2010, 12:26 AM   #19
kingkevin8

2005 ION Red Line
2002 VUE 2.2L

Thank you, I'll have to try that, and post my results. I'll do that tomorrow. Until then, hopefully this is the last question. When you need to replace the valve cover gasket, is it possible that the engine will run like it has a vacuum leak? I figure that it would because there is obvious vacuum there, since oil can leak out, and air has much easier of a time to escape through a broken seal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-25-2010, 01:27 AM   #20
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Nope, the inside of the engine including the top of the head is not connected to the intake except through the PCV valve which does not really care where it is stuck in the CAM cover or not. That little hose over to the air intake tube lets in outside air.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!