SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2010, 12:26 AM   #1
auriuman78
auriuman78 is on a distinguished road

Default 1997 manual SC1 Does not start anymore...

Rather inconvenient problem - I was driving along just fine while going to a friend's house. I parked and went in for like 15 minutes. When I came back out the car no longer starts! Its not like battery is dying won't start but more like clutch isn't pressed in all the way won't start. All except I plugged up a VOM to the clutch safety switch after disconnecting it and it responds like a champ.

So now my options are to run a lead from the positive terminal of my battery to the positive terminal on the starter and/or short across the starter solenoid's terminals. Except... where exactly did Saturn put the solenoid? Natural assumption says this is the easier and cheaper component to test first until you go to look for the darn thing. I know where the starter itself is, just not it's counterpart. Google, much to my surprise, has not really helped with this situation. Generally Google is your friend for any problem. Anyone know anything about this elusive starter solenoid?

To reiterate, I need to know where to find the starter solenoid on this 1997 SC1. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by auriuman78; 11-26-2010 at 12:31 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to auriuman78's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help auriuman78 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
auriuman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2010, 01:22 AM   #2
Greg1
Greg1 is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
1998 SL2
Default Re: 1997 manual SC1 Does not start anymore...

The solenoid is on top of the starter.

97 SW2 5-Sp 273k -mine
02 SC2 5-Sp 67k - best friend's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Greg1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Greg1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Greg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:57 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 1997 manual SC1 Does not start anymore...

When you find the starter solenoid (as mentioned, attached to the starter) and short the battery terminal to the smaller START terminal, you may find out a good start or not. This won't guarantee to tell you anything about the starter except to eliminate the starting circuit. If you know the age of the starter (original?) then it may help you make a decision on whether the starter is worn out or not. An original '97 starter is now 13yrs old and how many miles? A better test of the starting circuit would be to measure the START terminal voltage on the starter solenoid; pull the small purple wire off and have someone turn the ignition key to the START position while you measure the wire for 12v. A 12v bulb will work too; if you see 12v then the starting circuit is fine as you should be able to cycle the ignition key as many times as needed to START and see 12v on the end of that wire. Knowing the starting circuit works consistently would isolate this issue to a worn out starter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote