SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2010, 11:26 PM   #1
JSTDV8
JSTDV8 has a spectacular aura aboutJSTDV8 has a spectacular aura about

2008 VUE 3.5L
2002 VUE 3.0L
Default Saturn SL1 1.9 no heat

So my 2001 SL1 has no heat in the morning when I start it. I think I could leave it run all morning and it would never put heat in the car.
But when I'm going down the hiway its heating ok (not sure if its very hot, but at least there is heat)
Come to a stop and its blowing cold air.
the bottom radiator hose is cold and the top one is hot but not so hot that you can't keep your hand warpped around it as long as you wanted.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Justin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JSTDV8's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JSTDV8 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JSTDV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
steelmanwy
steelmanwy is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default Re: Saturn SL1 1.9 no heat

Sounds like the coolant level may be low, have you checked it?

Kurt

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to steelmanwy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help steelmanwy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
steelmanwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

Thermostat stuck open.

Whats the temp gauge run at?

Collection of S-Series info: "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5D8XfJgavxrdE5mcHBlMG5rbUU&usp=sharing"
3 ECTS pigtails, 1 ECTS FS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nice

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

+1 on the thermostat, esp if it never gets past 1/4 and takes a while to get up there.

Or, maybe it's just *******' cold in Alaska - who knew?

edit: weird, forum software does not like the word fri cki n'

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction? Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p 102k @ purchase, now 169k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
steelmanwy

1999 SL2

The radiator hoses should heat up at the same rate if the thermostat has failed open...still a good place to start though.

Kurt

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help steelmanwy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-17-2010, 02:07 PM   #6
JSTDV8

2008 VUE 3.5L
2002 VUE 3.0L

Forgot to mention the thermostat was recently replaced. temp comes up perfect but no heat when the car is not in motion. When you drive it you get heat just fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JSTDV8 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-17-2010, 02:08 PM   #7
JSTDV8

2008 VUE 3.5L
2002 VUE 3.0L

So that brings me to a heater core or a water pump I guess.
Any indications on which it would be given the symptoms?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-17-2010, 02:10 PM   #8
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

Try holding rev's at like 2k with the parking brake on and see if you get heat that way..............hold on Are you sure the blower motor is working fine? There's a small amount of air flow while in motion, comparable IMO to the fan being on level 1.

Collection of S-Series info: "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5D8XfJgavxrdE5mcHBlMG5rbUU&usp=sharing"
3 ECTS pigtails, 1 ECTS FS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:20 PM   #9
jfcadena
jfcadena is on a distinguished road

1997 SC1

If you are getting heat while in motion you're core is probably ok, does your blower motor fan work? can you hear it? What does the temperature gauge read? is it consistent?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jfcadena's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jfcadena reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jfcadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:19 PM   #10
JSTDV8

2008 VUE 3.5L
2002 VUE 3.0L

yes blower is blowing fine at all levels
temp guage is just a hair under center (straight up) just like every vehicle Ive owned

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-17-2010, 06:29 PM   #11
saturn94v
saturn94v is on a distinguished road

1994 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTDV8 View Post
Forgot to mention the thermostat was recently replaced. temp comes up perfect but no heat when the car is not in motion. When you drive it you get heat just fine.
I would double check that thermostat!
But before you do:
start & run vehicle to full operating temp(warm it up).
determine if both the inlet & outlet heater core hoses/lines are hot.
Determine if both radiator hoses are hot & slightly pressurized.
Did you install T-stat?
was it installed correctly?
Was the heating/cooling system operational immediately after R & R of T-Stat/GSKT?
Sounds like text book T-stat failure to me. [t-stat gets stuck in open position never allowing full warm up.]

94 SC1 1.9L SOHC
GM Blue Green
278,429 miles
32+/- AVG/MPG

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn94v's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn94v reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn94v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:43 PM   #12
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTDV8 View Post
So my 2001 SL1 has no heat in the morning when I start it. I think I could leave it run all morning and it would never put heat in the car.
But when I'm going down the hiway its heating ok (not sure if its very hot, but at least there is heat)
Come to a stop and its blowing cold air.
the bottom radiator hose is cold and the top one is hot but not so hot that you can't keep your hand warpped around it as long as you wanted.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Justin
start with the obvious, a new ects (brass tipped), new stat, make sure it's a proper temp unit. some were 180 degrees & others 195 degrees. i only use factory stats. make sure the coolant is clean & filled up to the proper level. use a 70/30 mixture of dex cool for the best results. i heard that the sohc does take a while to heat up. my dohc gets hot pretty fast though....
any leaks?

sounds just like a stuck open stat really, but these other things frequently need servicing, so i would do them all together...

being in alaska i would say that your system has to be in perfect working condition to get any heat in the cabin. you might have installed an 180 degree stat when your car calls for a 195 degree i believe. my 2001 has a 195 degree factory stat. when my needle points around 3/8" on the guage the air is pipping hot. your temp guage might be off due to a bad ects. you mentioned it's almost at center which is usually hot enough to produce heat unless the reading is bogus because of the bad ects.... the car might also run a little rough when the ects goes...

Last edited by saturnsctwo; 11-17-2010 at 06:51 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:45 PM   #13
JSTDV8

2008 VUE 3.5L
2002 VUE 3.0L

didnt the first guy say that if it was a stuck thermostat that both lines would be the same temp?
As i mentioned in the first post the bottom one is cold and the top one is hot.
Does that lead us away from the T-stat?

I would double check that thermostat!
But before you do:
start & run vehicle to full operating temp(warm it up). I can leave it run all day and I'd still have ice on the windows, only heats when moving forward
determine if both the inlet & outlet heater core hoses/lines are hot. they are not both hot, as stated the bottom one is coldDetermine if both radiator hoses are hot & slightly pressurized.
Did you install T-stat? no my dad did, i was not there. he is a mechanic and asked me to as you guys what yuo thought it might bewas it installed correctly? assuming so, I'm a yuppie salesman and I can install one allright, anything is possibe thoughWas the heating/cooling system operational immediately after R & R of T-Stat/GSKT? I didn't get a report on how that went. when you say operation what are we after here? did it come up to temp ok without overheating?Sounds like text book T-stat failure to me. [t-stat gets stuck in open position never allowing full warm up.]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-17-2010, 08:46 PM   #14
JSTDV8

2008 VUE 3.5L
2002 VUE 3.0L

what is an ects?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-17-2010, 08:48 PM   #15
JSTDV8

2008 VUE 3.5L
2002 VUE 3.0L

also, once again I'd like to reitterate that the heat works great wheile the car is moving down the hiway. the heat coming out certainly feels as though the car is up to temp, the guage says its up to temp.
However the top hose being only hot and not scortching hot may be some kind of an indicator that it really isnt all that hot. Just throwing things out there that might stick

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-17-2010, 08:55 PM   #16
JSTDV8

2008 VUE 3.5L
2002 VUE 3.0L

well, just got an update from dad, seems he did the rediator burp/bleed thing and now he thinks that might have done it. might have just been some air in the system.
he says he let it cool down for 3 hours (its -4 here right now) and then started it and left it idle and it was blowing hot air when he checked it 8 minutes later.
I'll let you guys know if it persists.
Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-17-2010, 09:15 PM   #17
Jake-Sl2
Jake-Sl2 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

ECTS=Coolant Temp Sensor

Mine is blistering hot after about 5 minutes of ideling before leaving for work but its only 39 here so that could be why.

If the one line is cool it doesn't sound like its flowing properly. Maybe a Water Pump? If its that cold there it may keep the engine from running hot and showing failure.

1994 Saturn SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jake-Sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jake-Sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jake-Sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:09 PM   #18
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Visit our How-To Library, and view the "Sticky" threads at the top, for info on the ECTS, why it's an important sensor and how/why it's likely to fail and need replacement.

Say "Hi" to Tina Fey for us, okay?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:56 AM   #19
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nice

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

Saturn switched to the brass ECTS mid year 2001. You can remove the conneector and look at the exposed shoulder to see if it is already brass, or just replace it for around $10-$15.

Since you are reading betweein 1/4 and 1/2 normally, sounds like the ECTS is working. You said the temp comes up quickly, so thermostat sounds good (for reference, in temps around 10F to 20F, I can get warm air within 5 minutes of hwy driving in my SL2, scorching heat within 10 minutes)

I missed the top (inlet) hose being hot while the lower (outlet) hose was cold. that's worrisome as the temp difference should only be the amount that the fans can cool off the coolant in the radiator.

The system shouldn't need to be bled of air or burped as it is self-pressurising. Your dad should have been able to fill it with 7- 71/2 qts, roughly, unless he also drained the heater core.

If you continue to have heat issues, try fetchitfido's suggestion of revving the car in place for a few minutes after it is warmed up to see if you get heat.

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction? Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p 102k @ purchase, now 169k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:11 AM   #20
steelmanwy

1999 SL2

ECTS is probably fine since warmed-up engine shows a little under half on the instrument panel.

Kurt

Last edited by steelmanwy; 11-18-2010 at 10:18 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!