SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
CrazyGrandpa
CrazyGrandpa is on a distinguished road

Wrench Ion will not do anything after replacing ignition switch...

Hey,

2005 ion lev 3 automatic. I attempted to replace the ignition switch to take care of the well known issue of the ion not starting in cold whether.
I made several attempts to reset the passlock once the new switch was in place but it didn't take. On the last attempt the ignition cylinder started making a clicking noise along with the passlock light flashing. I went to take the key out and it was stuck.
I disconnected the battery for about a half hour and when I hooked it up the passlock light lit up on the dashboard but nothing else. The lights didn't come on, power windows, radio, nothing comes on at all. I jiggled the key a little bit and it came out but when I put it in I cant get it to turn to the off position. It will go to ACC but no further.

Right now I'm guessing I need to get a new ignition cylinder/ key. I can't even get the car to shift so I can back it out of the drive way ( My car is blocked in now too!).

Any advice/ tips on what is going on and what I need to do to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CrazyGrandpa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CrazyGrandpa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CrazyGrandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2010, 05:50 AM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Ion will not do anything after replacing ignition switch...

You should try a new key cut from your vin first. In the meantime, your owners manual will tell you how to remove the old key.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:57 AM   #3
CrazyGrandpa
CrazyGrandpa is on a distinguished road

I hit that release button and got the key out. I'm thinking the batter is really low. That would explain none of the lights coming on and the key locking.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CrazyGrandpa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CrazyGrandpa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CrazyGrandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
Mike89
Mike89 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

You sure you did the re-learn right? Should be like this.

Quote:
I. Try to start the engine (first time). It may or may not fire the starter. If you have a manual transaxle, be sure to hold the clutch in when you try to start the car. After the start fails, *LEAVE THE KEY IN THE "RUN" POSITION* for 10 minutes. During this 10 minutes, the passkey icon (the lock) will flash every half second or so. After *EXACTLY* 10 minutes, it will stop flashing.

II. Second time - Once it has stopped flashing, turn the key to the "ACC" position, which is halfway between OFF and RUN. Wait about 10 seconds. Turn the key back to the RUN position (depressing the clutch, if it is a manual) and try to start it. The passcode light will flash again for yet another 10 minutes. When it stops flashing, continue to the next step.

III. Third time - Once it has stopped flashing, turn the key to the "ACC" position, which is halfway between OFF and RUN. Wait about 10 seconds. Turn the key back to the RUN position (depressing the clutch, if it is a manual) and try to start it. The passcode light will flash again for yet another 10 minutes. When it stops flashing, continue to the next step.

IV. After you have done this 3 times, over a period of exactly thirty minutes, turn the key to the OFF position. Wait for 30 seconds. Do not get impatient, because one wrong move could cause this to fail! After 30 seconds, the car should start.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mike89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mike89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:35 AM   #5
tt76
tt76 is on a distinguished road

Any luck I have the steady on light need to push button to remove key no other lights dome , power locks etc what did you do to fix this ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tt76's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tt76 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:18 AM   #6
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

we need more details, like what "steady on light"?

as far as why the key won't release, there's a solenoid in the steering column that's supposed to release the key when you're in park. the problem is often the solenoid, or the switch on the shift lever. a little simple ohm meter testing on your part can tell you which one's bad.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #7
vstringbassist
vstringbassist is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyGrandpa View Post
Hey,

2005 ion lev 3 automatic. I attempted to replace the ignition switch to take care of the well known issue of the ion not starting in cold whether.
I made several attempts to reset the passlock once the new switch was in place but it didn't take. On the last attempt the ignition cylinder started making a clicking noise along with the passlock light flashing. I went to take the key out and it was stuck.
I disconnected the battery for about a half hour and when I hooked it up the passlock light lit up on the dashboard but nothing else. The lights didn't come on, power windows, radio, nothing comes on at all. I jiggled the key a little bit and it came out but when I put it in I cant get it to turn to the off position. It will go to ACC but no further.

Right now I'm guessing I need to get a new ignition cylinder/ key. I can't even get the car to shift so I can back it out of the drive way ( My car is blocked in now too!).

Any advice/ tips on what is going on and what I need to do to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
I recently replaced my ignition switch and had some issues. You can try this: Reinstall the old switch and connect the battery. Try to start the car - if it starts, turn it off, remove the old switch and install the new switch - don't disconnect the battery during this procedure but pull the air bag fuse...just in case (although I never did). Once the new switch is in place you will need to do the 30min relearn procedure as mentioned here. Now, if you still don't get the car started after the procedure keep key-stroking several times - this is what I had to do after the procedure. My car started after about the 5th time and has worked great ever since (even @ -15c). It is nice not to worry whether or not my car will start now!
Cheers!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vstringbassist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vstringbassist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vstringbassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:27 PM   #8
Zosozeppelin
Advanced Member
Zosozeppelin is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

I had issues taking my key out for a while when I first got my car. It would get stuck in the ACC position and I would be afraid to leave the car with the key stuck in. My boyfriend forced it out when we went shopping one day and I nearly had a heart attack when I found out, when I got back to the car all of the lights on the dash were on because the car still thought it was in ACC. I ended up switching to my spare key and I always make sure the steering wheel is perfectly straight when I take my key out. Like 2006 said, I'd get a new key cut and see how that goes for you. Helped me out a lot lol

Elizabeth

'06 Level 3 Quad Coupe. 140K as of 5-3-15. Traded for 2015 Chevy SS. Gone but not forgotten.

Current: 2017 2LT/RS 50th Anniversary Camaro

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zosozeppelin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zosozeppelin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zosozeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #9
patriot2003
patriot2003 is on a distinguished road

I have an 05 ION, I have replaced the ignition switch and tried the "re-learn" steps. My car wont reset or start. I changed the new switch out with the old one and tried it again, it still wont start. Any suggestions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to patriot2003's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help patriot2003 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
patriot2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #10
vstringbassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot2003 View Post
I have an 05 ION, I have replaced the ignition switch and tried the "re-learn" steps. My car wont reset or start. I changed the new switch out with the old one and tried it again, it still wont start. Any suggestions?
We have owned 4 Saturn Ions - currently have 3. I have had to do this before with success. Follow the procedure in the link below - it is a good one. You may have missed something - I did the first time. Make sure you had disconnected the battery before installing the switch:

http://moontaj.com/passlock

It has been a while but I do recall something else I may have had to do ... not sure but I will think about it and review some of my earlier messages.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help vstringbassist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #11
vstringbassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstringbassist View Post
We have owned 4 Saturn Ions - currently have 3. I have had to do this before with success. Follow the procedure in the link below - it is a good one. You may have missed something - I did the first time. Make sure you had disconnected the battery before installing the switch:

http://moontaj.com/passlock

It has been a while but I do recall something else I may have had to do ... not sure but I will think about it and review some of my earlier messages.
Ok, I remember now (it is actually posted here lol):
After you perform the "relearn procedure" (and the car does not start) Keep key-stroking several times - this is what I had to do after the procedure. My car started after about the 5th time and has worked great even @ -25c. I have since sold that car (04 Ion sedan 5spd) but we still have 2 06 coupes and a 07 coupe.

I hope this helps. Cheers!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-03-2015, 12:12 AM   #12
tglyfe 777
tglyfe 777 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike89 View Post
You sure you did the re-learn right? Should be like this.
that's the problem I did it wrong so now I can't figure out how to redo it because there is no flashing anything on the dashboard in the car definitely won't start or even crank a little the lights will come up on the dashboard like the normal ones but not the security one it doesn't flash every half a second like you had suggested I am so lost I'm relearning the passcode please help it's my roommate's car and he gets home at 5:30 in the morning from work and I am at a loss

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tglyfe 777's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tglyfe 777 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tglyfe 777 is offline   Reply With Quote