SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2010, 09:47 PM   #1
3500srw
3500srw is on a distinguished road

1999 SL
Default 4 high beam mod need help

I followed the diagram that wolfman posted...http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9617

I have a 1999 Saturn SL. I am using 2 relays but apparently I dont have the wires hooked up right because the lights all work as oem

Does anyone who has done this mod have the relay numbers corresponding with wolfman's diagram?

1999 Saturn SL SOHC, 5 speed, 238000 miles....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 3500srw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 3500srw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
3500srw is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: 4 high beam mod need help

Look at post #16 in the thread you referenced. The 2 right hand terminals on both relays are the coil, pins 85 and 86. The 2 left hand pins are 30 and 87. The numbers are on the bottom next to the pins.

You are using the diagram in post #15, right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
3500srw

1999 SL

Yes, I used diagram as in post #15

I did have it hooked up right per post #16. However, using the brown parking light wire(on with lights on) it all operated as oem! I tested with all lights off, if I pulled on the headlight stalk all 4 headlights would be on. Seemed parking light was canceling low beams on with high beams.
What is happening here?
I changed the parking light wire to black and now I get high/low on at the same time.

However, I have NO drls even with everything unhooked, I checked in my haynes manual and it shows drl is fused inside the car's fuse panel, (ign 1) 10amp fuse, which is good Is it possible that I fried the drl relay?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 3500srw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-13-2010, 01:29 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

With it all unhooked verify that both high beam and low beam lights come on when the stalk switch is turned to lights and the hi/lo switch is actuated. IF the BRAKE light is on the DRLs are off. IIRC DRL also is off when parking is on or thinks it is on. It is also possible to kill the DRL relay.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:47 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Whether you complicated the wiring or miswired it, here's the main wiring schematic for DRL's. Study it carefully as I cannot vouch for the accuracy.

My L300 service manual states the same description, using the high beams in series for DRLs but is wrong, in text and wiring schematic; mine uses the low beam projector lamps as DRLs and I confirmed it (many times ) standing in front switching from DRL to manual low beam and then to high beam, even pointing at a wall. The basic DRL concept is correct, to cleverly wire whatever lamps are used in series for DRL use to reduce current use while prolonging lamp life and then switching to parallel wiring for full power/full current in normal night lighting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 99 SL DRL 1.jpg (160.1 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 99 SL DRL 2.jpg (148.5 KB, 47 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 99 DRL text.pdf (49.4 KB, 28 views)

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I hate DRLs, I disabled mine before I did the quad mod. So, maybe that's why I followed the diagram exactly, and it worked for me.

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:13 PM   #7
3500srw

1999 SL

As for DRLs, I like to be seen in a small car.

Here is what I have
* #1 relay terminal 87 which is at the top left of Wolfman's diagram.
* #2 relay terminal 86 which is at the top right of Wolfman's diagram.
* #3 relay terminal 85 which is at the bottom right of Wolfman's diagram.
* #4 relay terminal 30 which is at the bottom left of Wolfman's diagram.

I verified ALL lights work when everything is unhooked. (Park brake was on, why DRL wasn't working with everything unhooked)

Here is what is happening: with the wire to relay #2 hooked to parking light "brown wire" (on with lights on) Low beams turn off when high beams are switch on. DRL don't stay on (when ign key is turned on, I hear a couple relay clicks, see the DRL icon in the dash for a 1/2 second then DRLs turn off)

If I hook parking light wire to black, low beams work and all headlights on with high beams but same thing happens to DRLs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-13-2010, 05:14 PM   #8
3500srw

1999 SL

I wired it with 1 relay like the non-DRL cars and high/low come on together. DRL still clicks relays for 1/2 second then off, when ign key is turn on. I just pulled the underhood DRL relay and will operate with 1 relay (like non-DRL cars) until someone can give me a reason why DRLs aren't working with 2 relays?

Note: with brown (like wolfman's diagram) parking wire hooked to relay, relay clicks when parking lights are turn on. With black parking wire hooked to relay, relay does not click when parking lights are turned on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2010, 08:30 PM   #9
3500srw

1999 SL

I monkeyed around with it all day today and have come to the conclusion that my DRLs will not work with quad beams.

I also tried this mod on my 2000 Chevy Blazer (also has high beam DRLs) It did everything my Saturn did. I read and read and read on the S-10/Blazer forums. No one has ever been successful doing a quad beam with DRLs enabled on these trucks plus AHL(automatic headlights) screws you also. Much easier to buy a nice set of driving lights...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #10
Project84
Advanced Member
Project84 will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR

So the verdict is you cannot have DRL with 4 highbeam mod?

Big deal... which is better? Actually being able to see at night, or some dinky faint glow from the front of your car during daytime?

John
'09 Saturn Aura XR 2.4L
Previous - '01 SL1 daily driver and '96 SL2 auto 40+mpg hypermiler.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Project84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Project84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:43 AM   #11
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2006 VUE Red Line

Yeah, just get some HIDs and blind everyone, haha

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AlexofNazareth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AlexofNazareth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AlexofNazareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:15 PM   #12
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Personally, I like cars to have some "indicator" lighting during the day. As a bicyclist, I notice that I see vehicles with some sort of indicator lighting in my mirror way sooner, and can better judge their distance and speed of approach. I just think most DRL implementations are really stupid. The half-bright high-beams just look tacky, and burn up hours on your second-most expensive bulbs. And that deal with a lot of GM cars, that use the high-watt filament of the front park/turn bulbs, and then have to feed it through the turn signal so it blinks off (like the '60s-vintage old-school combined stop/turn lighting on cheapo American cars) is just annoying, and another potential electrical rabbit-hole. I usu. just drive with the parking lights on, so there's at least some indicator lighting glowing 360 degrees. You could do the same, if your four-light mod has disabled the DRLs.

The only advantage to DRLs is that they go off without the key. A separate headlight switch position, that would light the parking lights, but be dependent on an ACC or RUN fuse (rather than always hot), would do the same thing. Enterprising sedan owners could possibly fab something like this out of a lever combination switch from a gen-1 SC2, re-purposing the "DOOR" (flip-up) position on the headlight switch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:52 PM   #13
bitterlemons
bitterlemons is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 2.2L

So is the final verdict that you have to sacrifice the DRLs in order to implement the quadbeam? They're legally mandated up here in Canada, so I'd rather not deactivate them. I also couldn't quite tell from Wolfman's thread whether the instructions would work for my 3rd gen SW2. Ever since I saw that my mother's Corolla has quadbeam highs by default, I've been hoping to implement it on my car.

2006 Vue, 4cyl auto, 160,000km.
2000 SW2, 262,000km. (R.I.P)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bitterlemons's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bitterlemons reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bitterlemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:11 PM   #14
Saturn4life
Saturn4life is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

Why don't you just turn your headlights on every time you turn your car on? Then you don't have to worry about the DRL's not working..

Try using your turn signals. It's easy I promise!

01 sc2 263k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn4life's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn4life reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:32 PM   #15
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn4life View Post
Why don't you just turn your headlights on every time you turn your car on? Then you don't have to worry about the DRL's not working..
Not to mention with the low beams actually on, so are the parking lights & the car is much more visible then with just the DRL's.

Don't remember disabling DRL's on a '97 SC2 but I had all 6 forward lights on at the same time without a problem so maybe I disabled 'em at a different time.
Sealed Beam FTW, 9005/9006 FTL. If my heavy duty harness had a weather proof connector to the battery instead of a POS corrosion inducing setup it'd let me see at night so much better then the 6way.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:57 PM   #16
snoops454
snoops454 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1

instead of connecting the wire to the parking circuit splice it in with the highbeam ground wire.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to snoops454's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help snoops454 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
snoops454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:05 PM   #17
2000sl1blue
2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light

1998 SW1
2007 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Whether you complicated the wiring or miswired it, here's the main wiring schematic for DRL's. Study it carefully as I cannot vouch for the accuracy.

My L300 service manual states the same description, using the high beams in series for DRLs but is wrong, in text and wiring schematic; mine uses the low beam projector lamps as DRLs and I confirmed it (many times ) standing in front switching from DRL to manual low beam and then to high beam, even pointing at a wall. The basic DRL concept is correct, to cleverly wire whatever lamps are used in series for DRL use to reduce current use while prolonging lamp life and then switching to parallel wiring for full power/full current in normal night lighting.
Do these colors represent + and -? I was going to do this tomorrow and plan to slice into my HID headlight balasts instead of the car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2000sl1blue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2000sl1blue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2000sl1blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:03 AM   #18
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

2000sl1blue, please don't assume your '01 has the same DRL circuit as the one posted for a '99 SL. PM me an email address, include your car stats so I know which wiring diagrams to send.

Be aware that any series wired DRL lighting system will not power HID lights correctly. The exception is DRLs using high beams (non HID lights) without affecting low beam wiring where its presumed HID lights are added. All HID lights require 12 volts, in a parallel wired circuit as in normal night headlights. If you decide to use HID lights, you may or may not lose DRL capability, depending on DRL wiring configuration.

And not to discourage anyone but merely pointing out the realities of HID lighting; HID lights cannot be used in conventional reflector light housings. HID lighting requires a projector light housing, the smaller diameter lens seen on many cars, seemingly impossible to throw out better lighting. Projector light housings have a metal cutoff plate inside to eliminate the upper beam from blinding opposing traffic. Without this cutoff plate, the projector housing simply becomes a high beam. Using HID lights in reflector light housings simply creates a high beam to blind everyone.

Last edited by fdryer; 03-08-2017 at 12:13 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:10 AM   #19
2000sl1blue
2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light

1998 SW1
2007 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
2000sl1blue, please don't assume your '01 has the same DRL circuit as the one posted for a '99 SL. PM me an email address, include your car stats so I know which wiring diagrams to send.

Be aware that any series wired DRL lighting system will not power HID lights correctly. The exception is DRLs using high beams (non HID lights) without affecting low beam wiring where its presumed HID lights are added. All HID lights require 12 volts, in a parallel wired circuit as in normal night headlights. If you decide to use HID lights, you may or may not lose DRL capability, depending on DRL wiring configuration.

And not to discourage anyone but merely pointing out the realities of HID lighting; HID lights cannot be used in conventional reflector light housings. HID lighting requires a projector light housing, the smaller diameter lens seen on many cars, seemingly impossible to throw out better lighting. Projector light housings have a metal cutoff plate inside to eliminate the upper beam from blinding opposing traffic. Without this cutoff plate, the projector housing simply becomes a high beam. Using HID lights in reflector light housings simply creates a high beam to blind everyone.
I didn't see this in time, but I had already disabled my DRL's via the fuse when I bought the car. I successfully wired my quad beam with 4 HID. It's amazing in my back country roads here. I do wish I had projectors however.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2000sl1blue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2000sl1blue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2000sl1blue is offline   Reply With Quote