SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #21
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: How-To: removing shifter cables w pictures

You flush out the cables with QD CRC Electronics Connector cleaner and then lube with mica. You can suck the contact cleaner down the cable from the inside to the outside end as long as you have a vacuum that does not run the exhaust across the motor. Most cleaners are combustible and the motor has brushes which spark. Or by deft application of the straw and gravity you can get an adequate flow to eject the dirt from the inside to the outside. Fill the insde guide with cleaner and blow it through with compressed air.

The grommet comes right out as long as you push from the correct side and use a large enough pusher. Re-installation requires some silicon grease and force.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #22
osp001
osp001 is on a distinguished road

FWIW, I swapped out the shifter cables yesterday; I bought new cables from RockAuto because they were the only ones that had the part in stock and could deliver in 2 days.

It works fine, but it has bolts- while my car uses a grommet. I'll probably kludge together a more permanent solution next time I have my car up on the rack at a DIY place I use. They didn't have an option, so I'm guessing all the RockAuto cables were bolt style.

I also managed to lose one of the large clips- pulled it off, and it disappeared. I'm hoping it's a fairly standard part that I can find somewhere.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to osp001's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help osp001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
osp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #23
simkid5614
Advanced Member
simkid5614 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Dealer only or JY.

2002 SL2 115k "Whisper" No leaks!! :) 115 and going strong..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to simkid5614's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help simkid5614 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
simkid5614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #24
ROFL SQUAD
ROFL SQUAD is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

There is a buy in going on for some QUALITY shifter cables right now at 6S.

http://www.sixthsphere.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84776

"Two is one, and one is none"

Last edited by ROFL SQUAD; 05-05-2012 at 09:17 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ROFL SQUAD's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ROFL SQUAD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ROFL SQUAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #25
Spaghettiohead
Advanced Member
Spaghettiohead is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

Got a "good" deal from the Chevy dealer and picked up the OEM shifter cables for wholesale...nearly $80 off! Question is, with mine being a 99 and having only a rubber grommet, will the new cables fit correctly as they have those two 10mm nuts? What exactly do they secure to, and will they seal as well as the original rubber? Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spaghettiohead's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spaghettiohead reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spaghettiohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #26
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The rectangular plate with nuts comes apart when the nuts are removed so that it will sandwich the fir will in between.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #27
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROFL SQUAD View Post
There is a buy in going on for some QUALITY shifter cables right now at 6S.

http://www.sixthsphere.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84776
Link requires a login. Is there a public link?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #28
Spaghettiohead
Advanced Member
Spaghettiohead is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

Probably should have looked at it more closely then LoL. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spaghettiohead's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spaghettiohead reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spaghettiohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:57 PM   #29
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2
2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: THANK-YOU so damn much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post

Find more of ShawnV's excellent work in the How to Library as well
I try. After all, I'm a teacher in my non-saturn life. But, I teach biology and anatomy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShawnV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:55 PM   #30
djn357
djn357 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboozeAlot View Post
great write up. i've had several saturns with a broken bushing and have never actually replaced the cables, i used one of those motormite windshield washer bushings that someone here suggested (can't remember the part number but you could find it in a search), and that was a real PITA.

what i have been doing for the last few years when i get a broken bushing is remove the whole shift tower (whatever you want to call it) in the center console and drill out the metal part where the bushing goes and put a bolt through the hole. put a hollow metal sleeve around the bolt so the bolt can rotate freely inside the sleeve. put the end of the shifter cable over the metal sleeve. put washers on each end and put some loctite and a nut on the end of the bolt and you have a free moving fix made of steel that will NEVER break again. i had taken some pictures of this and fully intended on doing a write up at one point but never did.
Could you please post or send the pictures to me on how to do this...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djn357's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djn357 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djn357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #31
vito85
vito85 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: How-To: Removing Shifter Cables (with Pictures)

hi everyone, Im new to this site, but Im a saturn sc1 owner for many many years

last thursday I run over a plastic trash can by accident, I was driving behind a eigthteen wheeler and cannot avoid it

I pull over, pull the thash can out and once I start driving the 2nd gear pop out, I crawl under the car but I do not see any damage, but still cannot use the 2nd gear, and this morning the reverse quit working

please help!!!!

does the linkage cables are damage???? or is something else?????

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vito85's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vito85 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vito85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:08 PM   #32
bassdude65
bassdude65 is on a distinguished road

This is a great post with nice pictures - I have a question. I have removed everything except the U clip on the bottom cable. I cannot seem to find a way to get to it. Any suggestions?

Also, when I start to put it back together is there an easy way to get the clips back on?

The SL1 is on jack stands.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bassdude65's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bassdude65 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bassdude65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #33
osp001
osp001 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassdude65 View Post
This is a great post with nice pictures - I have a question. I have removed everything except the U clip on the bottom cable. I cannot seem to find a way to get to it. Any suggestions?

Also, when I start to put it back together is there an easy way to get the clips back on?

The SL1 is on jack stands.
You may have to get a pair of pliers in there to grab the tab on the end of the U-clip, but it will wiggle off eventually. There's probably a lot of engine grime and other stuff holding it in place. Make sure you remember which direction the tab is facing when you put it back in.

When you replace it, you need to get that cylinder flush with the mount that it fits into. Otherwise, the clip won't go in right. It may work for a while (mine did), but eventually it falls apart and then you're kinda screwed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to osp001's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help osp001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
osp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #34
timber1234
timber1234 is on a distinguished road

wow man..thanks a lot for this thread....I already did a bunch of repairs on my car following your great advise here

first post....about to change out my cables right now

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to timber1234's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help timber1234 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
timber1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #35
LuvMySaturn65
LuvMySaturn65 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1
Thumbs Up Re: How-To: Removing Shifter Cables (with Pictures)

Thank you, ShawnV for the pics!

I just had my shift cables replaced a couple weeks ago and now I have no 1st or 2nd gear. I have to start in 3rd. You can imagine the looks I get from people that are behind me...hahaha

I'm taking my car back to the shop that did the install to see if they're going to fix it, since I've read that the clips come with the cables.

Had I known what this was, I could have done it all myself...Right the first time. I just hate it when mechanics will use old parts or break something else just so you have to go back to them. Luckily, they are not charging me to take a look. If they get into cost, I will limp my car back home and do it myself.

Thanks again for all the pics and the best How-To I've seen ever.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LuvMySaturn65's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LuvMySaturn65 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LuvMySaturn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:44 AM   #36
Blumengarten
Blumengarten is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

Thanks for this post, really helps me (a 50-year-old mom who is just learning how to repair my car because I can't afford a new one, or a mechanic!).

One hint: I could not get the grommet out; after an hour of struggling, I had a neighbor slice the cables. After I pulled the cables out, the grommet came out easily.

One question: Now that I've got the cables out, how to I detatch them from the transmission end? The instructions end right before that point!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Blumengarten's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Blumengarten reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Blumengarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #37
LuvMySaturn65
LuvMySaturn65 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

I decided to put the clip on myself. Because of the pictures you posted, it was a piece of cake.

The only trouble I had were the hoses were in my line of sight, so I took a long screwdriver and held them out of the way so I could see. After all that, it took 2 minutes (or less).

I, too, am close to 50 and a female with limited funds to be taking my car to a mechanic. Thanks to my dad, I have the basic knowledge of cars. All the rest has been research on the Internet. Everyone kept telling me it was the shift linkage. NOW I know!

Now that the shift cable is fixed and the clips aren't going anywhere, I haven't noticed my car 'traveling' with the clutch in; and no hard shifting into first. Had I known all this 4 years ago, I would have done this a lot sooner.

Answer to your question, Blumengarten: "Installation is the reverse: feed the shifter cable through the firewall, install the grommet, install the cables to the shifter and to the tranny. Attaching the eyelets to the shifter requires a pair of pliers carefully applying pressure to the ball and socket."

Last edited by LuvMySaturn65; 11-10-2013 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: Responding wrong person

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LuvMySaturn65's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LuvMySaturn65 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LuvMySaturn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:53 PM   #38
Ubie
Ubie is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Just wanted to say thanks for this post with pictures. I had a devil of a time doing this, honestly, but it got done!

Couple of hints I would add: I completely removed the battery to make getting to the transmission end of the cables easier. The white one was fine, but for the back one there are a lot of things in the way that removing the battery completely helped with. Also, getting the clip off the of black ended cable was much easier from underneath the car, just used a screwdriver from there the leverage it off.

Thanks again for the post, saved me a couple hundred bucks, easy!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ubie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ubie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:38 AM   #39
MrXindeed
MrXindeed is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

Having this issue right now.
Thankful for this thread.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MrXindeed's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MrXindeed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MrXindeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:44 PM   #40
jhonky
jhonky is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

2.1 hours of $95/hr and $280 in oem shifter cables later, i regret not having seen this thread

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"
I burn about a quart about every 1500 miles.

If it ain't broke, fix it some more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jhonky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jhonky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jhonky is offline   Reply With Quote