SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2010, 12:14 AM   #1
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
Default Removing the Speed Limiter: Disconnecting the Input and Output Speed Sensors

Ive been meaning to ask this for a while. This spring i was bored and was taking Automotive Tech classes at this one college and asked my professors about how to get rid of the speed limit on my car. They had no idea, so i came up with the great idea to disconnect the input and output speed sensors from my transmission.

I effectively removed my top speed limit...hell, i didnt have a speedometer that worked w/o those sensors plugged in. I got my car up to 115-120, but the weird thing was that the rev limit was changed from 5800rpm to 5k.

Is there any particular reason for that? Just wondering.

And for anyone with automatic trannies, dont do this. Your car wont work, haha

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AlexofNazareth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AlexofNazareth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AlexofNazareth is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2010, 01:14 AM   #2
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Removing the Speed Limiter: Disconnecting the Input and Output Speed Sensors

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexofNazareth View Post
Ive been meaning to ask this for a while. This spring i was bored and was taking Automotive Tech classes at this one college and asked my professors about how to get rid of the speed limit on my car. They had no idea, so i came up with the great idea to disconnect the input and output speed sensors from my transmission.

I effectively removed my top speed limit...hell, i didnt have a speedometer that worked w/o those sensors plugged in. I got my car up to 115-120, but the weird thing was that the rev limit was changed from 5800rpm to 5k.

Is there any particular reason for that? Just wondering.

And for anyone with automatic trannies, dont do this. Your car wont work, haha
Sorry, I call BS.

There is just simply no way a SOHC Saturn will go 115-120 (MPH); at least not in stock form or without the assistance of gravity on a steep grade. I guess that way I see it, if a DOHC stuggles to get there it just seems virtually impossible (to me) for a SOHC to achieve the same with 24 less HP.

Also, IIRC the PCM is programmed to manage the engine as if the car was not moving when it loses the VSS signal and therefore limits the engine to 4,000 RPM under those circumstances.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 170K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 155K miles

Last edited by ruley73; 11-11-2010 at 01:27 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:25 AM   #3
AlexofNazareth
Master Member

2002 SL1
Default Re: Removing the Speed Limiter: Disconnecting the Input and Output Speed Sensors

im just guesstamating the speed. Cause i can hit 100 in 4th gear at something above 4k, and i was over 4k in 5th doing this lil stunt.

Try it for yourself, i only did it once. And it probably too me a minute and a half to even get up there. I know when the cars not moving the revs are limited to 4grand, but its different w/o the speed sensors plugged in

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help AlexofNazareth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-11-2010, 01:58 AM   #4
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
im just guesstamating the speed. Cause i can hit 100 in 4th gear at something above 4k, and i was over 4k in 5th doing this lil stunt.

Try it for yourself, i only did it once. And it probably too me a minute and a half to even get up there. I know when the cars not moving the revs are limited to 4grand, but its different w/o the speed sensors plugged in
"guesstamating" is the key word.

The math says that 100 MPH in fourth gear should put you at about 4890 RPM; assuming you have the correct size tires on your car.

~5625 RPM = 115 MPH and ~5870 = 120 MPH in fourth gear

Last edited by ruley73; 11-11-2010 at 02:03 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-11-2010, 04:09 AM   #5
Threeshot223
Threeshot223 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Common sense, sir.

The "car computer" detects speed by "speed sensors".

"Speed sensors" not plugged in= 0 MPH.

Car not moving= 0MPH.

There is no difference between the two. If you have an automatic transmission, it won't even shift without a proper VSS input.

"And for anyone with automatic trannies, dont do this. Your car wont work, haha "

Already knew that. Thanks for the intel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Threeshot223's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Threeshot223 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Threeshot223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:38 AM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Struggles to hit 120 with a DOHC? Hmmm...mines broke then...

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:44 AM   #7
AlexofNazareth
Master Member

2002 SL1

yeah, i dont see SL2s having any problem getting up there. 5th gear at those speeds, i was sitting around 4300 and it wasnt going anywhere. Stock SL has got nothing in 5th gear going 110+, obviously. I did have my CAI on there tho. When i have time ill disconnect the sensors and record my results for the skeptics

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-11-2010, 09:55 AM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you have a portable GPS unit, it may have a speed display for an unbiased "witness". Some GPS units using satellite signals (and not the vss input) will automatically calculate speed and display it. My Microsoft Street map with laptop GPS software gave me speed info with its gps receiver.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:12 AM   #9
AlexofNazareth
Master Member

2002 SL1

I use my LG Voyager as my GPS, haha. Nah, ill just record the Revs in 5th gear. Itll be pretty easy to figure it out. Except I dont have my old SL anymore, i have an 2002 SL1 now with alloy rims.

Ruley, how many revs would my SL1 be at going 120 in 5th gear?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-11-2010, 04:56 PM   #10
ruley73
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Ruley, how many revs would my SL1 be at going 120 in 5th gear?
~4380 RPM

I was using this calculator to figure this out along with the gear ratios found here. Compared to the speed vs RPM observations with my car, the calculator seems to be very accurate.

FWIW I've previously owned 2 other DOHCs which is where my thinking about twin cams and the speed limiter comes from:

1995 SC2 auto, dead stock, well maintained with about 60K miles on it: It got to 110 MPH OK in 3rd, but didn't do much after shifting to 4th. The fastest I ever got it to go was 115 MPH with a slight downhill grade.

1997 SC7 manual, dead stock, well-maintained with about 55K miles on it: I never did get it to hit the speed limiter. It was drag limited to ~118 MPH on the same stretch of road used to max out the 1995 SC2. It got to 110 MPH OK, but struggled to accelerate beyond that in 5th.

2000 SC2 manual (current car, see mods in signature): will hit the speed limiter. It gets to about 110 MPH pretty quick, but struggles to accelerate beyond that after shifting into 5th much like the 1997 SC2 did, but with a slightly more pulling power. When I had the smaller 205/50/15 tires on it, I could definitely hit the speed limiter quicker. Smaller tires numerically raise the final gear ratio a little bit which I felt noticeably helped with acceleration. I didn't have a way to verify this, but I felt that the increase in RPM with the smaller tires gave the engine more leverage/pulling power against drag. It didn't struggle beyond 110 MPH, like it does now. It pulled steady all the way to the limiter. Obviously, the indicated speed was 124 MPH, but the actual speed was about 118 MPH after calculating the difference with the smaller tires.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-11-2010, 05:07 PM   #11
AlexofNazareth
Master Member

2002 SL1

is it difficult to do an SL2 motor swap. Everyone is having a tiff over me modding my SL. Could i just get the motor, bolt it into my SL gear box, reflash the PCM and call it a day?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-11-2010, 06:05 PM   #12
ruley73
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
is it difficult to do an SL2 motor swap. Everyone is having a tiff over me modding my SL. Could i just get the motor, bolt it into my SL gear box, reflash the PCM and call it a day?
You could, but your cruise won't work if your car currently has it and you keep the SOHC transmission. A DOHC (MP3) manual transmission is strongly suggested, but not absolutely necessary.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-11-2010, 06:35 PM   #13
AlexofNazareth
Master Member

2002 SL1

lmao, never had CC.

So which generation Dohc should i get?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-11-2010, 07:30 PM   #14
Threeshot223
Threeshot223 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Everyone is having a tiff over me modding my SL. Could i just get the motor, bolt it into my SL gear box, reflash the PCM and call it a day?
Haha, dude it's not a tiff, just friendly advice from guys that have been here for a while and have seen people go down the same path.

Performance mods to the S series SOHC engine just aren't worth it, especially if you want to do things like go fast and stuff.

DOHC engines are, depending on where you are, plentiful, cheap, and are in some ways more reliable than the SOHC motors (eg, random head cracking).
They also come stock with more power and respond a lot better to performance mods. You get more bang for your mod buck, in other words.

As for your second question, yes. You could actually also do all of that in less than a day.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Threeshot223's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Threeshot223 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Threeshot223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:06 PM   #15
AlexofNazareth
Master Member

2002 SL1

I understand. My buddy is gonna find me a rebuilt sl2 motor for about a grand and then ill pay him back when i get the money. What year engine should i get?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2010, 05:30 PM   #16
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
I understand. My buddy is gonna find me a rebuilt sl2 motor for about a grand and then ill pay him back when i get the money. What year engine should i get?
2002. it's probably easier to keep it the same year as your car. it's probably even EASIER to sell your car and buy a 2002 sl2 for $1k more than you sold your car for. easiest "swap" ever.

and, please, do us a favor and DON'T test your top speed for our entertainment. you don't know how to properly drive a car at that pace and the sl is not made for those speeds anyway...

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:39 PM   #17
azrocketman
azrocketman is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
If you have a portable GPS unit, it may have a speed display for an unbiased "witness". Some GPS units using satellite signals (and not the vss input) will automatically calculate speed and display it. My Microsoft Street map with laptop GPS software gave me speed info with its gps receiver.
ALL Global Positioning Systems (GPS) rely on the government's satellite constellation. Velocity magnitude and direction are inherent in some of the messages provided by GPS receivers (see NEMA 0183 for GPS messages). Other messages will provide, for example, satellite constellation status and position data. My Gpsy software for Mac permits display of the NEMA messages.

Steve

Last edited by azrocketman; 11-15-2010 at 06:44 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to azrocketman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help azrocketman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
azrocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:45 PM   #18
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3aturnR View Post
2002. it's probably easier to keep it the same year as your car. it's probably even EASIER to sell your car and buy a 2002 sl2 for $1k more than you sold your car for. easiest "swap" ever.
More like $300-400, I'll bet. At this time in history, and the cars reaching the age they are, I doubt that the difference in price between a typical DOHC Saturn and its SOHC equivalent is more than a few Benjamins. Most people selling them these days don't even know the difference, and with fuel prices where they are (and where they're going), the fuel economy the OP's SOHC might actually be a plus. But I couldn't talk him into the idea earlier, in a semi-redundant thread to this one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:00 PM   #19
AlexofNazareth
Master Member

2002 SL1

yeah, i dont have the cash now to buy another car or engine. Maybe ill swap engines if a totalled SL2 with a decent motor falls into my lap, but im just gonna make due with what i got. Ill post pics of my car after i put everything on it this thanksgiving break.

And ill see if my buddy gives me a free dyno run. Stock, should the sl1 be putting around 70hp to the wheels?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-16-2010, 05:54 PM   #20
westwind999
westwind999 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
1999 SW1

A couple points

GPS is the way to go for the speed. Calculating from engine RPM depends on the ratios being correct including the biggest variable, tire circumference.

The DOHC motor - A 2002 motor will have a different head than the earlier ones so you will be stuck with the plastic manifold and different bolt pattern for a header. If you want to do performance mods it would be better to have an earlier one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to westwind999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help westwind999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
westwind999 is offline   Reply With Quote