SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
Routs
Routs is on a distinguished road

Default Remote car starter install in Vue - DIY?

So, being a guy that likes to take on do it yourself projects and is fairly handy around electronics, I started to thing about getting a car starter for my Vue. How easy of a DIY project is it? Local installation is not crazy expensive but being a guy with a family and lots of bills, I wouldn't mind doing the job myself.

Any thoughts on how difficult a job this is? Or is it better off left to professionals?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Routs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Routs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Routs is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Remote car starter install in Vue - DIY?

Depends on how good with stuff like that you are. I did it myself, but I'm a "professional"

The car itself isn't difficult to work with. However, you do have to interface with the passlock system, so you need to either do an annoying relay/resistor thing, or use a bypass module that will need to be programmed.

You're not going to have the unit to program the bypass module, so you'd have to find one that didn't need programmed or use the relay thing. Either way, it's annoying to do.

If you get a good remote start (DEI - Viper, Clifford, any sort of snake name really), they're required to bundle basic install with the unit. So it's not like you'll save a whole lot. Also, don't get one of the crappy non DEI brands, and stay away from the cheap DEI brands (Avital, etc.) A remote start is not something you want to skimp out on, having your car randomly start is not cool.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:24 AM   #3
ls3ftw
ls3ftw is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

I just had a python 419 installed, they against my wishes relied on the "virtual tach" which resulted in several failed cold starts (stopped cranking before engine started).

Resolution was to hook up tach signal to the remote start module to a coilpack and now it works flawlessly, around here that unit which also controls door locks goes for $120 installed with all neccesary bypasses (no security light or other abnormalities)

-2006 Saturn VUE V6 AWD...built by GM, powered by Honda.
-2008 Corvette MN6...poor man's Porsche.
Knowledgable enough to know intelligence comes with humility.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ls3ftw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ls3ftw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ls3ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You can answer for yourself whether or not you can wire up a remote start; go online to DEI and download the installation manual for whatever model you're interested in. DEI and other manufacturers (some, not all) allow free downloads as I found awhile ago. Read and look over the wiring to see if its within your capabilities. You'll probably need schematics for your Vue too. As I understand it, a bypass module is needed to interface with Passlock to retain full function of theft deterrent when remote starting is used; pressing the brake pedal before inserting your ignition key and turning it to the ON/RUN position when the engine's running will automatically shut the engine down and enable Passlock - the typical scenario for a thief thinking an idling vehicle might make for a quick theft. With the engine running on remote, inserting the ignition key and turning it to the ON/RUN position is all that's needed to seamlessly move from remote running to normal (ignition key inserted) running. At least mine works this way (DEI).

Last edited by fdryer; 11-10-2010 at 12:08 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:34 AM   #5
ls3ftw
ls3ftw is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

yeah and if you want to exit the vehicle and leave it running with no keys, activate the remote start again and remove the key.

However, at least on my unit, the alarm does not arm when locking with the python keyfob.

-2006 Saturn VUE V6 AWD...built by GM, powered by Honda.
-2008 Corvette MN6...poor man's Porsche.
Knowledgable enough to know intelligence comes with humility.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ls3ftw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ls3ftw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ls3ftw is offline   Reply With Quote