SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2010, 02:53 AM   #1
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2
Default Dual intake cam mod--worth it?

I have a '95 SL2 automatic with short ram intake, 2.25" stainless mandrel bent exhaust, '92 OE header, WBO2, SAFCII. I'm contemplating the dual intake cam mod (where you replace the exhaust cam with an intake cam, rotated 180 degrees). I couldn't find much by searching--what are the pros and cons? I don't want to sacrifice low-end power so I think all aftermarket cams are out of the picture--how much do the dual intake cams hurt the low end, if at all? How much of a gain can I expect, and where in the power band? Any idle quality issues? Other issues?

Thanks for your input!

High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2010, 04:54 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2
Default Re: Dual intake cam mod--worth it?

Idle feels/sounds the same. Low end power feels lower. Kicks in like Red Bull at ~4.3k rpm's though. MPG seems to be higher too but I'm not sure the mod did it. You'll get more out of it then me with that SAFC II setup.

Collection of S-Series info: "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5D8XfJgavxrdE5mcHBlMG5rbUU&usp=sharing"
3 ECTS pigtails, 1 ECTS FS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:33 AM   #3
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Idle feels/sounds the same. Low end power feels lower. Kicks in like Red Bull at ~4.3k rpm's though. MPG seems to be higher too but I'm not sure the mod did it. You'll get more out of it then me with that SAFC II setup.
Thanks!

Is there a write-up somewhere on how to replace the cam? A search turned up nothing other than advice that it should be done with the engine out of the car... why? Does the sprocket need to be rotated, or can the new cam be installed rotated, with the sprocket still in place, in the original position? The FSM is pretty clear on everything (except rotating the sprocket, if that's necessary)...

High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-05-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
Mgg4591
Mgg4591 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticCarsRock View Post
Thanks!

Is there a write-up somewhere on how to replace the cam? A search turned up nothing other than advice that it should be done with the engine out of the car... why? Does the sprocket need to be rotated, or can the new cam be installed rotated, with the sprocket still in place, in the original position? The FSM is pretty clear on everything (except rotating the sprocket, if that's necessary)...
I believe there is a writeup with photos on sixthsphere.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mgg4591's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mgg4591 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mgg4591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:14 AM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

+1 on sixthsphere.
I think they added to it recently that if your careful it won't unbalance the cam enough to hurt anything by grinding the offending ring off the cam instead of grinding a tab off the head. That's why they say to do it with the head off...don't want metal shavings getting into the works.

Collection of S-Series info: "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5D8XfJgavxrdE5mcHBlMG5rbUU&usp=sharing"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-05-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
+1 on sixthsphere.
I think they added to it recently that if your careful it won't unbalance the cam enough to hurt anything by grinding the offending ring off the cam instead of grinding a tab off the head. That's why they say to do it with the head off...don't want metal shavings getting into the works.
Ahh... so there's something that must be ground. I didn't realize that. I'll search more, over there. (I already searched a bit on 6s before posting, but the search feature isn't all that great. I'm sure I can find it eventually.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-05-2010, 01:25 PM   #7
Leafy
Leafy is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

yeah ring needs to be ground off the cam, balance shouldnt be too much of an issue since the cam's only spin at half the speed as the crank.

1994 SL2 HCE auto 113 hp 113 lbft (wheel) backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier SS
For Sale: FlyWheel, Shifter assembly, Clutch Hydros, 1st gen 5 spd PCM. PM me for prices.

WPI class of '12 ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leafy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leafy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:57 PM   #8
saturnsl293
Advanced Member
saturnsl293 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

from my understanding the later heads (00-02 maybe) don't need grinding etc like the earlier one as the tab isn't there.

car bought 12/15/07
car MIA as of 7/29/09, recovered 8/5/09

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsl293's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsl293 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsl293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #9
Leafy

1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsl293 View Post
from my understanding the later heads (00-02 maybe) don't need grinding etc like the earlier one as the tab isn't there.
correct, but the op has a 1g in his avatar so I figured he didnt need that tidbit.

2002 Chevy Cavalier SS
For Sale: FlyWheel, Shifter assembly, Clutch Hydros, 1st gen 5 spd PCM. PM me for prices.

WPI class of '12 ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Leafy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-05-2010, 02:00 PM   #10
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Or just pull the head, grind the nub, machine .02" off of the head for higher compression...

I can't wait to get my car up here, Deebs rebuild, plus decking the head and intake cam.

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #11
saturnsl293
Advanced Member
saturnsl293 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
correct, but the op has a 1g in his avatar so I figured he didnt need that tidbit.
true its a 1g but what if a 3g engine was dropped in at some point for whatever reason? also figure if someone with a 3g or has a 3g engine stumbles across this who's considering the same mod they can find out they don't have to grind anything

car bought 12/15/07
car MIA as of 7/29/09, recovered 8/5/09

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsl293's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsl293 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsl293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:13 PM   #12
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

You put the cam in a nice big lathe to cut the ring off. If you have an early head with the lump you can cut it off with a air die grinder if you think about what you are doing and cover and properly prep the work space.

Pictures and instructions. http://forums.plastikhosting.net/viewtopic.php?t=1373

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:04 AM   #13
Leafy

1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsl293 View Post
true its a 1g but what if a 3g engine was dropped in at some point for whatever reason? also figure if someone with a 3g or has a 3g engine stumbles across this who's considering the same mod they can find out they don't have to grind anything
if someone put at 3g engine in a non 3g car they need to be slapped for their dumbassism.

2002 Chevy Cavalier SS

WPI class of '12 ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-06-2010, 02:31 AM   #14
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
if someone put at 3g engine in a non 3g car they need to be slapped for their dumbassism.
What's wrong with the 3g engines? It is the original gen1 ('95) engine, though, with 103k miles (decent compression, about one quart/3k miles oil--no signs of any trouble).

How much work is it to remove/reinstall the head, if I wanted to take off .02"? What kind of gains could I expect? If I'm not mistaken, there's also a valve swap (flat-faced '91 to '93 OE) that would increase my compression slightly--would it be worth doing that in addition (while taking slightly less off the head) or instead of cutting the head?

Taking that ring off the cam wouldn't be any trouble--I have easy access to a good lathe. I also have access to a full machine shop (NC, CNC, etc) so cutting the head wouldn't be too hard, if it's worthwhile; what about porting/port-matching, while I'm at it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-06-2010, 06:58 AM   #15
fetchitfido

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

From the little I've read:
Can't put the good/cheap '91-/92 header on it.
Intake manifold doesn't flow as well as the older ones, can't put the good ones on it.

Don't have the stuff & paitence to do the port matching myself but every little bit helps and you might as well do everything you can while its apart.

Have to take the timing chain off to get the head off. Have to also take exhaust and intake manifolds off, well the exhaust at least. Don't forget to get new head bolts if you do take it off, they're torque to yeld (1 use only).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-12-2011, 10:47 AM   #16
Jess Lookin
Jess Lookin is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2002 VUE 3.0L

Can the dual intake mod be done on 3rd gen heads ? Can't seem to find the answer.

01 SC2 - Miss Parker - a work in progress
02 Vue AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jess Lookin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jess Lookin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jess Lookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:35 AM   #17
fetchitfido

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

A bit less work on 3rd gen DOHC heads. No nub to grind off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-12-2011, 11:48 AM   #18
Jess Lookin

2001 SC2
2002 VUE 3.0L

Ok, so which year cam do I need ?

02 Vue AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jess Lookin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-12-2011, 06:27 PM   #19
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess Lookin View Post
Ok, so which year cam do I need ?
'99-'02 (9 bolt exhaust head)

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #20
Jess Lookin

2001 SC2
2002 VUE 3.0L

I guess I should have figured that one out myself, fairly obvious. Thanks Purdue !

02 Vue AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!