SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 11-03-2010, 10:53 PM   #1
Joelsaturnvue
Joelsaturnvue is on a distinguished road

Happy Changing Timing Belt on a Saturn Vue 2002 AWD and without the timing belt tool kit

Hello folks,

I figured and a way to successfully change the timing belt, water pump, and several pulleys on the Saturn Vue 2002 AWD all without the expensive timing belt tool kit. I recorded all the details and make a DVD.

Hope this helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Joelsaturnvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Joelsaturnvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Joelsaturnvue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2010, 04:48 AM   #2
flappytango
flappytango is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Changing Timing Belt on a Saturn Vue 2002 AWD and without the timing belt tool ki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelsaturnvue View Post
Hello folks,

I figured and a way to successfully change the timing belt, water pump, and several pulleys on the Saturn Vue 2002 AWD all without the expensive timing belt tool kit. I recorded all the details and make a DVD.

Hope this helps.
Too bad you didnt do this a month ago, just did mine. I am sure it would be helpful are you going to make this freely avaiable?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to flappytango's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help flappytango reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
flappytango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
Joelsaturnvue
Joelsaturnvue is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Changing Timing Belt on a Saturn Vue 2002 AWD and without the timing belt tool ki

I'm leaning on publishing it on Youtube one day when I have the time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Joelsaturnvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Joelsaturnvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Joelsaturnvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
JBVUE
JBVUE is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

I'd really like to see this!
Jim

Jim
2002 Vue 3.0 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JBVUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JBVUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JBVUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
VTchemist
VTchemist has a spectacular aura aboutVTchemist has a spectacular aura about

2003 VUE 3.0L

Let us know when you post it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTchemist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTchemist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #6
conefree
conefree will become famous soon enoughconefree will become famous soon enough

Please post the information; anything you have would be of a great help. Mine is overdue and I am gearing up to do it soon. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to conefree's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help conefree reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
conefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:56 AM   #7
LoganDiagnostic
LoganDiagnostic is on a distinguished road

Attention Re: Changing Timing Belt on a Saturn Vue 2002 AWD and without the timing belt tool ki

We rent the tool..so some will claim we are bias. That said, you do assume the risk of engine damage by not using the tool.

We got this email recently:

"....I found your website looking for help. I am working on an L81 timing belt, with out the special tool.

I used zip ties to hold the cam gears and got the new belt on, but I am off a couple teeth, so I know thats not correct.
Before I rent your tool I need to know if I ruined this engine.

With the 'incorrect' belt placed on, I could turn the motor by hand clockwise. But the marks were off so I removed the belt again.
Now with the cam gear marks all over the place, I tried to turn each cam gear separately to line up with the upper mark, held the cams in place again, but now with the belt on the bottom end is hitting somewhere....."

Last edited by LoganDiagnostic; 12-29-2010 at 12:03 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LoganDiagnostic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LoganDiagnostic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LoganDiagnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:12 PM   #8
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganDiagnostic View Post
We rent the tool..so some will claim we are bias. That said, you do assume the risk of engine damage by not using the tool.

We got this email recently:

"....I found your website looking for help. I am working on an L81 timing belt, with out the special tool.

I used zip ties to hold the cam gears and got the new belt on, but I am off a couple teeth, so I know thats not correct.
Before I rent your tool I need to know if I ruined this engine.

With the 'incorrect' belt placed on, I could turn the motor by hand clockwise. But the marks were off so I removed the belt again.
Now with the cam gear marks all over the place, I tried to turn each cam gear separately to line up with the upper mark, held the cams in place again, but now with the belt on the bottom end is hitting somewhere....."
I recall a saying from a long ago TV commercial - something like:

You can pay us now - or you can pay us later.

Not a professional mechanic - advice and data are free - PM email address if I'm not logged on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:44 PM   #9
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

'You can pay us now - or you can pay us later.'

It was a 'change your oil filter' (maybe FRAM) commercial and it was 'pay me now, or pay me later'.

I wouldn't try the timing belt job with or without 'the tool'.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:22 PM   #10
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is just really niceChazberry is just really niceChazberry is just really niceChazberry is just really niceChazberry is just really nice

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
It was a 'change your oil filter' (maybe FRAM) commercial and it was 'pay me now, or pay me later'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fram_%28oil_filter%29
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq3wL8ZXjBU

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #11
chevwizard
chevwizard is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I really need the vidoe. Im stuck and my Garage is tied up, I have done more then 20 timing belts, but Im stuck on this one??? Car ran fine, but water pump was leaking. Pulled timign cover, but belt is destroyed from coolant, can't be reused. I have not pulled the old belt, but I can not get marks to line up, there are two marks on the cam gears? The car was not running like it had skipped a tooth??? Can you help me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chevwizard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chevwizard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chevwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #12
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is just really niceChazberry is just really niceChazberry is just really niceChazberry is just really niceChazberry is just really nice

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevwizard View Post
I have not pulled the old belt, but I can not get marks to line up, there are two marks on the cam gears?
This thread shows the marks you don't use . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=160039
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1&2 Alt.JPG (146.8 KB, 167 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #13
jao31
jao31 is on a distinguished road

Hi, Iwould really like to see your video.
Thanks
jao

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jao31's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jao31 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jao31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #14
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by jao31 View Post
Hi, I would really like to see your video.
Good thing we weren't holding our breath!
You don't really need a video. Keep searching here - Saturnfans has everything you need to know.
This is just a preview of what you would be diving into . . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOGbOtR3wpw

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #15
mrwag
mrwag is on a distinguished road

So whats the average going rate to have a mechanic do this job?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mrwag's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mrwag reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mrwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #16
Pitufo02
Pitufo02 is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

I call the dealer and quote was $1300 for replacing the timing belt and water pump.
I decided to do it my self and bought the parts from amazon including the tool kit. got it done in 1/2 a day taking my time.
I could not do it without this forums . thanks guys!!!

My car has 165,000 before we replaced the timing belt and water pump.
the old belt had wear but not bad, nothing falling a part but it was showing signs of small cracks.

I am selling the OTC tool for $85 including shipping in the US only.
if anyone is interested let me know.
cromero102@yahoo.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitufo02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitufo02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitufo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #17
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitufo02 View Post
I am selling the OTC tool for $85 including shipping in the US only.
A little more costly than these "Chazlocs"

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/att...2&d=1282931214
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=173406

REWARD EXCELLENCE!