SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 11-01-2010, 08:41 AM   #1
Torr197
Torr197 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Front end vibration/shutter at over 55 mph.

My '04 Saturn Vue (5spd Manual) has a front end vibration/shutter problem at over 55mph on the highway. The struts, ball joints, tie rod ends and sway bar links were changed because one or another were worn out and tires rebalanced and rotated. But this vibration issue is driving me nuts. This issue has been reported previously on other sites, but no one has posted a fix. Has anyone had this problem and a fix????

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Torr197's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Torr197 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Torr197 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Front end vibration/shutter at over 55 mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torr197 View Post
My '04 Saturn Vue (5spd Manual) has a front end vibration/shutter problem at over 55mph on the highway. The struts, ball joints, tie rod ends and sway bar links were changed because one or another were worn out and tires rebalanced and rotated. But this vibration issue is driving me nuts. This issue has been reported previously on other sites, but no one has posted a fix. Has anyone had this problem and a fix????
Is it a major shake of steering wheel or just a tiny wiggle?

Can you feel the vibration in your feet, butt or back-rest?

Worn wheel-bearings / axles can cause a "buzz" type vibration in steering wheel.

Could it be a motor or transmission mount?

You can try to differentiate between chassis and power-train as culprits by keeping transmission in lower than normal gear as you accelerate to 55 and beyond. If vibration persists at 55, then its probably chassis, or rotating mass related.

Not a professional mechanic - advice and data are free - PM email address if I'm not logged on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Possibly your wheels are defective (out of round)?

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 7 Beta 7

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #4
Torr197

Dizzy Re: Front end vibration/shutter at over 55 mph.

It only happens over 55 mph and it is felt on the steering wheel. It's not a transmission problem or tires out of round. It seems more like a steering or rotating mass problem. All steering/suspension related parts have been changed except steering wheel column and shaft (which I think could be the problem) and rack & pinion. Other posts have indicated the same problem with no success on axle replacements, which I haven't done yet. Has anyone had similar problem or history with a positive fix?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Torr197 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-02-2010, 02:31 PM   #5
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

This is almost certain to be wheel/tire-related, either a balance problem, bent wheel or defective tire. Something as simple as a thrown wheel weight could be your problem, or something as complex as tires damaged by high pressure resulting in belt separations. Depending on your tools/abilities you may be able to pinpoint the problem. First, set cold tire pressure according to the sticker on the car and see how that affects it. Another thing to try is to swap the fronts and rears. If the swap throws the problem to the rear wheels, you now know where to look. Sometimes you have to get new tires and/or wheels to get rid of it. If you take it in to have the balance checked (most shops guarantee their balancing), have them look at the wheels carefully when they're chucked up on the balancer to check for runout. You can't have much runout without getting wheel hop.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:34 AM   #6
Torr197

I've swapped tires around and replaced 2 with no success.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-03-2010, 09:56 AM   #7
qwikz28
qwikz28 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torr197 View Post
I've swapped tires around and replaced 2 with no success.
2 questions:

1. what kind of tire is this?
2. did it start to happen gradually, or did it happen after an event; such as new tires, or possibly a big pothole?

-2006 Saturn VUE V6 AWD...built by GM, powered by Honda.
-2002 Chevy Camaro M6...built by GM, and then rebuilt by me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to qwikz28's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help qwikz28 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:50 PM   #8
steve69
steve69 is on a distinguished road

I have the exact same issue. I have new tires just installed. No change. Had the rims inspected and spun.

I think it is a worn out CV boot. I to have replaced everything including front and rear lower control arms.

On my Vue the vibration goes away at 80-90km it is most pronounced at 70km.

It is funny because I thought it was wheel and tire related too.

I have 200k on my 2004 AWD V6. I purchased it new. The SUV is in awesome shape but the vibration is pissing me off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to steve69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help steve69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
steve69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:10 AM   #9
Torr197

Happy Re: Front end vibration/shutter at over 55 mph.

Well, After several Component replacements, it turns out you can't trust new tires...... I personally had to view the tires spinning while being balanced and found a small, barely noticeable out of round and track condition which the tire guy told me he had not seen and later said it would not affect anything. WRONG. the tire was replaced and all the problems went away. Guys, THANKS for all your positive replies and suggestions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!