SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2010, 12:52 AM   #1
ls3ftw
ls3ftw is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Wind noise solutions for door seals?

Just had windshield replaced with new trim and now that's silent... I do have wind noise at the door seals on each door, I adjusted the door catches as inward as I could but that didn't help... aside from replacing each seal is there a way to get the doors to close tighter against the frame to eliminate the noise?

-2006 Saturn VUE V6 AWD...built by GM, powered by Honda.
-2008 Corvette MN6...poor man's Porsche.
Knowledgable enough to know intelligence comes with humility.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ls3ftw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ls3ftw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ls3ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2010, 02:44 AM   #2
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Wind noise solutions for door seals?

You could try finding a larger rubber door seal, but honestly I doubt it'll do much good. The glass in the Vues is very cheap and transmits a lot of noise, and the doors also transmit a ton of noise. So I don't really think the noise is coming from the seals as much as the entire door.

FWIW, some people have had luck with bending the top part of the door inward (I think this was actually a GM service manual extract too ). It's about as elegant as it sounds. You put your knee against the door and give the top of the door hell. Only GM would come up with an "adjustment method" like that.

The most cost effective thing to do would be to sell it and buy a Lexus RX if it must be silent. These cars just aren't built or engineered to be quiet. They're GMs after all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:26 AM   #3
ls3ftw

2006 VUE 3.5L

I understand it won't be luxury quiet like the audis and bmw's of the past i've driven, but I think it's important to mention an 06' Equinox is INFINETELY quiter than the vue... so I have to wonder was it always this loud?

Could be, I dunno... I aerospace 303'd the seals and refitted them, I hate to condemn the vehicle due to noise and small issues as it offers good horsepower, utility, fair reliability and practicality... but should another vehicle best it i'd have to switch.

Either way, it's paid for and goes down the road... anything I can do to improve it would be nice.

I also notice at lower speeds it sems you get some cabin noise around the passenger floorboard area if you listen closely, i've taken it all apart and found no source... i'm beginning to think you just deal with all the noise and drive it as it was a transplant car to begin with.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ls3ftw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-31-2010, 09:59 AM   #4
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Dynamat... Concentrate on the floor first.

http://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-10455-.../dp/B00020CB2S

Original Saturn vehicles were not overly concerned over interior noise.

Many items originally omitted were dual horns, lighted sun visors, foot well and under hood lighting, glove box and door lights.

These deficiencies were added when Saturn started selling re-badged GM cars.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 7 Beta 7

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:34 AM   #5
ls3ftw

2006 VUE 3.5L

The only issue i'm having is air getting by the main seal at the upper joint of each door, I lubed them and tried the "caveman" bending method but it didn't appear to do much, the seals have some imprints in them... anyone have part numbers and prices?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-31-2010, 11:49 AM   #6
qwikz28
qwikz28 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls3ftw View Post
The only issue i'm having is air getting by the main seal at the upper joint of each door, I lubed them and tried the "caveman" bending method but it didn't appear to do much, the seals have some imprints in them... anyone have part numbers and prices?
I don't have the part numbers, but I noticed the same wind noise. Primarily at high speeds, or on a cold and/or windy day. I began the sound deadening process but I think that will only serve to highlight the wind noise. My old Isuzu did the same thing. Its almost as if the door is bending out, as per Bernoulli's principle. I think a new seal may help, but not fix the problem. Either way, post up what happens.

PS- a year or two ago, I was going above posted speeds on the highway during light rain and wind, and a few drops of water actually made it through the door seal.

-2002 Chevy Camaro M6...built by GM, and then rebuilt by me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to qwikz28's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help qwikz28 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
Dynamat... Concentrate on the floor first.

http://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-10455-.../dp/B00020CB2S

Original Saturn vehicles were not overly concerned over interior noise.

Many items originally omitted were dual horns, lighted sun visors, foot well and under hood lighting, glove box and door lights.

These deficiencies were added when Saturn started selling re-badged GM cars.
I've often thought of adding under hood and glovebox lights. Lighted mirrors would be nice as well. I've got an LED ready for it too, just need to find a pinswitch for it. Preferably one that's not ugly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:29 PM   #8
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
You may be hearing noise from the windshield replacement. There was bulletins regarding the A-pillar and possibly the windshield not being properly sealed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-31-2010, 01:41 PM   #9
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a jewel in the roughruley73 is a jewel in the roughruley73 is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I have had good luck reducing air leaks by cleaning the seals and applying silicone spray to them. I do this once or twice per year on both our cars.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 150K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:59 PM   #10
BobbyP
Master Member

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Get a roll of blue painters tape and tape between the A-pillar trim and your winshield, and every other gap around the windshield and see if your wind noise goes away. This way you can isolate where it's coming from.

Go Saints!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-31-2010, 10:51 PM   #11
youknowme
youknowme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post

Go Saints!
Crap. They won. Needed Pitts for Pick-Em! Argh!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to youknowme's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help youknowme reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
youknowme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:36 PM   #12
BobbyP
Master Member

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

It was great seeing a game where both teams were playing well matched game.

Go Saints!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!