SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
Atlas
Atlas is on a distinguished road

Default Replace catalytic converter

I am looking for some advice on how to replace the catalytic converter on my 2003 Ion. I already purchased a direct-fit OEM Eastern catalytic converter online. My questions pertain to the removal process of the old converter:

I don't have access to a lift, so would it be easier to complete the job with the car on four stands?

What is the easiest way to remove the bolts/nuts (fasteners)?

Does anybody know the size of the bolts/nuts (fasteners) so I can purchase them before doing the repair?

Once the bolts are removed, is there some type of adhesion material that holds the flanges together or will it separate easily?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Atlas's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Atlas reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2010, 02:04 AM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Replace catalytic converter

Put the front on jack stands. The easiest way to remove the bolts is to turn them (most of the time they turn better left to grrrrrr them off). No, I do not know the size. They cone apart pretty easy, but you will want new gaskets.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:34 AM   #3
brapple
brapple is on a distinguished road

chances are the bolts are going to be rusted up. make sure you use some penatrating oil and let the bolts soak. if you are pacient you should be able to get them out.

if you happen to break one of the bolts the easiest thing to do would be to drill the bolt out and just use a bolt and nut to bolt things back together. at that point the bolt can be anything you want, suggest stainless, that fits in the drilled out hole. note it might take burning the old bolt out.

should need anything but new gaskets to install the cat.

2004 Ion 3 Sedan

2k Ford SVT Contour
99 Ford Contour - 3L+turbo
99 Ford Contour Se Sport

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brapple's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brapple reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:09 AM   #4
chilipepper1327
Advanced Member
chilipepper1327 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I am looking for some advice on how to replace the catalytic converter on my 2003 Ion. I already purchased a direct-fit OEM Eastern catalytic converter online. My questions pertain to the removal process of the old converter:

I don't have access to a lift, so would it be easier to complete the job with the car on four stands?

What is the easiest way to remove the bolts/nuts (fasteners)?

Does anybody know the size of the bolts/nuts (fasteners) so I can purchase them before doing the repair?

Once the bolts are removed, is there some type of adhesion material that holds the flanges together or will it separate easily?
Always replace bolts/nuts with this work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chilipepper1327's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chilipepper1327 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chilipepper1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

dont forget if under 8 yr 80k its warranty

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote