SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
SeanK32
SeanK32 is on a distinguished road

Default Oil Filter Cap Stripped

For my 2005 Ion 2.2

I guess the last place I went to stripped the hell out of the cap when doing my oil change and now I can't get it off to do it myself. It's pretty rounded now.

Is 12605565 the right part number for it? I searched eBay and it gave me a filter with a cap. I can't post the URL because I don't have 15 posts, but this is the eBay item number: 220540678034

I need that black cap. Is it removable from the filter? I don't care if I have to buy both.

Please help. I have new oil in there and an old filter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SeanK32's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SeanK32 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SeanK32 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2010, 10:05 PM   #2
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: Oil Filter Cap Stripped

So you've performed your own oil change? Leaving the old filter in place? How many miles do you have on the "old" filter?

As a general rule I'd say if you changed say at 3,000 miles you've probably got another 4,000-6,000 miles on the filter... (The OLM might go off around 7-8,000 miles) so no immediate concerns of a filthy filter. Assuming the shop didn't screw that up too.

The ebay item:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3D1&viewitem=
seems correct.

It's also called a PF458g and can be found at some parts stores and other online sites.

Depending how bad the cap is... you should be able to remove the filter and reuse the cap. Just be sure to check the O-Ring on the cap is OK... and considering the "rounding" you mentioned you might want to replace it anyway. Possibly use it as an emergency backup.

If you can no longer use a socket (you might try a smaller size or type and see if it fits better) to remove the cap you might be able to use a large channel lock, adjustable wrench, and/or a strap wrench like this:
http://compare.ebay.com/like/2804808...=263602_304662

to get a better grip on it and turn it off. (Right/Tight... Left/Loose)

Keep us posted. As an aside... was this a "chain" Oil Change place or some local Mom & Pop? They really should have known better.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:11 PM   #3
Astra3Dr
Astra3Dr is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2008 Astra XR

Oh by all means keep us posted ....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra3Dr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra3Dr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra3Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:53 PM   #4
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

yeah thats it, but for how much you pay in shipping you might as well just go to the dealership, most of which should have in stock.

Formerly - Saturn of Downers Grove Parts Department
Current - Castle Chevy in Villa Park Parts Department

EPA 608 Certification
EPA 609 Certification

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sierrap615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:34 AM   #5
SeanK32

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave View Post
So you've performed your own oil change? Leaving the old filter in place? How many miles do you have on the "old" filter?

As a general rule I'd say if you changed say at 3,000 miles you've probably got another 4,000-6,000 miles on the filter... (The OLM might go off around 7-8,000 miles) so no immediate concerns of a filthy filter. Assuming the shop didn't screw that up too.

The ebay item seems correct.

It's also called a PF458g and can be found at some parts stores and other online sites.

Depending how bad the cap is... you should be able to remove the filter and reuse the cap. Just be sure to check the O-Ring on the cap is OK... and considering the "rounding" you mentioned you might want to replace it anyway. Possibly use it as an emergency backup.

If you can no longer use a socket (you might try a smaller size or type and see if it fits better) to remove the cap you might be able to use a large channel lock, adjustable wrench, and/or a strap wrench like this:

to get a better grip on it and turn it off. (Right/Tight... Left/Loose)

Keep us posted. As an aside... was this a "chain" Oil Change place or some local Mom & Pop? They really should have known better.
No the cap was starting to round the last oil change. The shop got it off, but it's a no go this time around. Just too messed up. Glad to know that the filter isn't completely filthy. I want to pick up the cap tomorrow.

If I can get a new cap tomorrow, I'll order the one off eBay along with it. I don't want to go through this again. Thanks for confirming it for me. Do you think the cap comes off the filter? I don't know why they would sell the filter along with the cap.

The last oil change was at a Jiffy Lube, when I wasn't physically able to change it. This time it was at Just Tires. It was raining. They should have all known better. It's okay, though. I like to learn about this stuff. Finding the part wouldn't be so difficult if Saturn didn't close down. Usually I do all my own changes and never had this issue. Although, I knew that all these plastic parts that are so often used would mess up at some point.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SeanK32 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2010, 12:35 AM   #6
SeanK32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrap615 View Post
yeah thats it, but for how much you pay in shipping you might as well just go to the dealership, most of which should have in stock.
local dealership didn't have it. went to their warehouse. they didn't have it either. I'm gonna have to make a trip out of my area to go get it. No worries. if all else fails, eBay has it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2010, 02:55 AM   #7
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

any 2.2 ecotec car use this cap, why not just go to a chevy dealership. Also, if you followed the olm, you need to re change your oil, I would go after the place that changed it for the cost of the cap and new oil, since they likely charged you the same without changing the filter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:16 AM   #8
SeanK32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
any 2.2 ecotec car use this cap, why not just go to a chevy dealership. Also, if you followed the olm, you need to re change your oil, I would go after the place that changed it for the cost of the cap and new oil, since they likely charged you the same without changing the filter.
i don't know why i never thought of that. i've been so caught up in making sure i can find the part. it's been a long day. which place? they gave me the filter and at this point i don't care about the 20 bucks on the oil change. plus, i'm pretty sure i started stripping the cap the first time before i took it to Jiffy. I appreciate the advice, It's just not worth the stress for about 50 bucks.

I just went through this whole thing with Safelite Auto Glass breaking a part on the windshield assembly. The wiper linkage/transmission to be exact. My mind is ill equipped to deal with barking more orders at shops.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2010, 03:44 AM   #9
ggaarryy
ggaarryy is on a distinguished road

Sean, I feel your pain...it's a stupid design but I can withstand a lot of stress for $50! As I posted in another thread I had success with channel locks since the jaws can 'bite' into the plastic.

What about trying the old 'screwdriver through the oil filter' trick only in this case it's the oil cap (obviously have to drill a hole first) or even a screw driver/chisel on the edge to just get it turning?

Only thing I dont know is how much clearance there is in the plastic nut before you hit something vital once you make the hole but it doesnt sound like you have much to lose.

Or even, while I'm free associating, if it's totally rounded off -- why not epoxy on a nut (one with a size the average person has in their toolbox)? Hmm could also hacksaw a slot into the rounded off nut as yet another option to turn it.

"Just because all you have is a hammer doesn't mean everything has to look like a nail".

GGaarryy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ggaarryy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ggaarryy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ggaarryy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:05 AM   #10
SeanK32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggaarryy View Post
Sean, I feel your pain...it's a stupid design but I can withstand a lot of stress for $50! As I posted in another thread I had success with channel locks since the jaws can 'bite' into the plastic.

What about trying the old 'screwdriver through the oil filter' trick only in this case it's the oil cap (obviously have to drill a hole first) or even a screw driver/chisel on the edge to just get it turning?

Only thing I dont know is how much clearance there is in the plastic nut before you hit something vital once you make the hole but it doesnt sound like you have much to lose.

Or even, while I'm free associating, if it's totally rounded off -- why not epoxy on a nut (one with a size the average person has in their toolbox)? Hmm could also hacksaw a slot into the rounded off nut as yet another option to turn it.

"Just because all you have is a hammer doesn't mean everything has to look like a nail".

GGaarryy
Those actually make the most sense. I'm not too fond of cutting a hole through it. I don't want to hit the filter and break off tiny pieces of plastic into the housing. i think i'll try the epoxy though. sounds like i have something to finally do this weekend. Not before I give it a go with the channel lock though. Thank you Dave and Gary.

for what it's worth, Jiffy Lube didn't ruin the cap. I did it before I took it to them to change it the next time. They just made it worse. It was inevitable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2010, 07:54 AM   #11
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

ggaarryy, how is it a stupid design, making everything integral to the engine block is ingenious.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:32 AM   #12
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

As 2006 ion2 mentioned... this cap/filter should be available from a GM Dealership. I'm not sure you mentioned trying any local/national part stores...

As you can see in the Ebay listing it lists off several different models (possibly not all) that take this filter/cap (albeit "dead" GM brands).

"Do you think the cap comes off the filter? I don't know why they would sell the filter along with the cap."

I had mentioned previously that the cap is often reused. (Assuming it and/or the O-Ring isn't damaged.) The filter snaps in/out of the cap... but as I suggested (and is discussed in other "I can't get this cap off" type threads) the Cap might be damaged and therefore need replacement.

I assume it's easier to sell the PF458G (Cap/Filter) as a set for the "pull off shelf, open box, install Cap/Filter, DONE" simplicity.

It might be too "old school" but my 2003 ION (and earlier models using this system) still uses it's original cap which is actually designed for a "Zig Zag" Filter which isn't compatible on the 2004-2007 IONs. The likelihood of finding a "Zig Zag" to install now (since 2004/2005) is unlikely BUT having the PF458G come together might avoid the potential of putting the wrong cartridge filter in that first time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #13
SeanK32

should i do another oil change when i get the new cap/filter? it's got brand new oil in there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2010, 01:57 PM   #14
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanK32 View Post
should i do another oil change when i get the new cap/filter? it's got brand new oil in there.
You never said how many miles you put on the current "bad" filter. (Before the oil change)

Regardless, if the Oil is fresh I wouldn't worry too much about it. (It hasn't gone all dark and clumpy right? It doesn't feel gritty or look/feel "bad"?)

If the Oil is good (and the OLM was reset) and you swap in the fresh filter fairly soon... you should be able to go your typical change interval. If you are concerned... just change it a bit earlier but no need to "dump" 4-5 quarts of fresh oil because of a filter swap.

2006 ion 2 can speak for himself but I'm taking his comment as if you HAD NOT changed your oil. That a oil change/filter is in order when you get the new filter/cap.

I'm regularly had Oil Samples from my vehicles sent to Blackstone Labs in for Oil Analysis ( SOAP - Spectrometric Oil Analysis Program) just to verify my long duration oil changes is not causing harm to my Engine. (upwards of 7-9,000 mile around when my OLM goes off so not really LONG.(For my 2003 the change interval is officially 6months/6000 miles... the OLM usually goes off 2,000 or so miles after that...)

(Check out my photo gallery for some of my past oil reports) They look for "insolubles" which typically the filter will catch, helping keep the levels low in any samples. I've found even during my longer duration intervals that the filter (GM/Saturn/ACDelco filters) is keeping the insolubles in check.

With all that said... it all comes down to how long the "bad" filter has been run before it's changed, the type of oil(s) used during that run, the mileage/condition of your engine... etc.

But assuming your current oil is fresh and you change out the filter soon... it should be just fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2010, 02:25 PM   #15
ggaarryy

2006 ion2

The subject of the thread is the oil filter 'cap' not the system I think and that's what I am commenting on when I say 'stupid'. Perhaps a better term would be 'poorly designed'.

I love the fact that I dont have to wrestle with a hot oil filter under the car with barely enough room to move a pinky finger BUT...

the oil filter 'cap' I believe could have been designed much better without any additional cost and avoiding all the 'stripped nut' problems. For example, they could have at least made it a nut size that most average shade tree mechanics have in their toolbox; they could have made a 3/8 or 1/2 inch recess for a socket wrench to remove it; they could have made it metal with a metal nut of a common size (or at least seated a metal nut into the plastic body) to suggest but a few better alternatives.

I will stand by my opinion that it is a stupid design in a car I am otherwise liking a lot (although I am sure I will find other design flaws as the miles add up).

GGaarryy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ggaarryy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #16
SeanK32

The oil filter in there has 4000 miles on it and I just changed the oil yesterday, so about 10 miles on fresh oil. The last change was, unfortunately, done by Jiffy Lube. I had no choice. I wasn't able to change it. I figured new Penzoil is better than old oil. I always change it with Castrol or Valvoline and it has Valvoline in there right now.

Is the OLM the Oil Life light? I did reset that.

The location of the filter is nice, but the headache that I have to go through sucks. Plus, those internal filters cost more. It's only a few bucks more, but hey...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2010, 04:49 PM   #17
Astra3Dr
Astra3Dr is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2008 Astra XR

It's only a poor design to those that do not have the tools or the brains to do the job correctly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra3Dr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra3Dr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra3Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:17 PM   #18
ggaarryy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra3Dr View Post
It's only a poor design to those that do not have the tools or the brains to do the job correctly.
I'm not sure if that's meant as an offhand insult or not. Either way the illogic of your statement that something is only poorly designed if someone 'doesnt have the right tools or brains' is easy to see for most people.

Thankfully there are people in the world that can see something even perfectly designed and still try to find a way to improve it.

Let's stop sniping and debating semantics and help this guy and each other -- that's what the forum is for.

GGaarryy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2010, 08:30 PM   #19
SeanK32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra3Dr View Post
oh ok well you can screw yourself, twice. get off the forum if you just want to insult people. idiot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2010, 08:32 PM   #20
SeanK32

ggaarryy,

I bought PF458G. The problem with it is that the cap doesn't remove itself from the filter. I shined a light inside and it looks like it's riveted in there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!